Gastropub

Cruising89143

Lois ~ I searched my files and found a few shots of Cellar Masters from different ships (see them below).

The removal of one of the long walls definitely opens up the room and the removal of the big clunky standing light posts definitely helps, too. But I see the room being essentially the same except for the bar area. The alcoves are filled with very similar furniture (thanks cruisingator2 for the wonderful photos); the middle of the room still has small grouping of comfy chairs with small round tables; the large wooden table structures in the middle of the room remain.

At night, the old Cellar Masters was very dark and uninviting because they NEVER held anything in this room. It almost looked "closed" at night.

I really love the idea of a Gastro Pub but I don't want just another "for fee venue" that doesn't really offer good seating to actually eat. I want a fun place to go with friends (or meet up with friends), experience a fun atmosphere and entertainment AND some good food options (even for a fee).

Having been fortunate enough to have sailed on all the S-class ships, I'm just not seeing a big change to this venue other than it's a little better lit. I'd like to see some evening photos of the area as well. Cruisingator's photos are wonderful but they were shot during the day (as were most of mine except for the one on Eclipse).

Don't get me wrong. I've been a huge fan of the S-Class ships since they debuted in 2008. I just want to see changes that make sense and add to the overall experience on the ship. For me, I'm not seeing it yet.

1438894060_CellarMasters1-Eclipse.jpg.df9678d5b8ddac364ba187105527a171.jpg

435525408_CellarMasters2-Solstice.jpg.a1678b4ea283f378589e746c234839a6.jpg

618042551_CellarMasters3-Solstice.jpg.0f39bf9df6f2d1bd0e16fc155af5beee.jpg

387441885_CellarMasters4-Solstice.jpg.addfd43082f9467b41f864aa88496b7b.jpg

1489523346_CellarMasters5-Reflection.jpg.c7db4ae319d5b551d8b6183cc39198ac.jpg

For those who have an upcoming cruise on the EQ, I have uploaded my photos of the ship from last weeks cruise. She is in great shape and a beautiful ship. The link is below in my sig line under the countdown clocks.:)

Great pictures!

Thank you! :D

Host Anne

I don't feel this is another "for fee" venue. The majority of the time we may be there for a drink in the comfy chairs but we would change seating is necessary to eat. I think X is offering this venue as a bar with small/large plates on request as opposed to the other pay venues ie BO5 and the Porch. I could see sitting there for a few hours and not ordering any food lol:D

Host Anne

I don't feel this is another "for fee" venue. The majority of the time we may be there for a drink in the comfy chairs but we would change seating is necessary to eat. I think X is offering this venue as a bar with small/large plates on request as opposed to the other pay venues ie BO5 and the Porch. I could see sitting there for a few hours and not ordering any food lol:D

I have the same feeling Christine. My wife is a red wine gal and I am a dark beer fella. I think we now have the best of both with the GastroBar. Especially seeing a double cooler full of brews from which to pick. The gray marble counter looks like a nice place to meet an mingle with friends and spred out a few plates of munchies ( or not) over drinks, more so than the Martini Bar does.

We shall see first hand in a long:eek: 145 days!

Edited by wallie5446

Christine ~ agree with you that I can see us enjoying a drink in here. But they have named it a "Gastro Pub" (with $8 burgers)! They definitely want to be selling food in here. I don't imagine they'll be thrilled if we all come in here to enjoy the comfy seating and a drink and never order any food ;)

And I am really perplexed by the two flat screen TVs with no seating at all to watch them. Why spend the money?

I have the same feeling Christine. My wife is a red wine gal and I am a dark beer fella. I think we now have the best of both with the GastroBar. Especially seeing a double cooler full of brews from which to pick. The gray marble counter looks like a nice place to meet an mingle with friends and spred out a few plates of munchies ( or not) over drinks, more so than the Martini Bar does.

We shall see first hand in a long:eek: 145 days!

The majority were only in there to drink but the bar was busy at times. I had no issues with the seating for dinner. We sat at one of the two high top tables and it worked fine.:)

Christine ~ agree with you that I can see us enjoying a drink in here. But they have named it a "Gastro Pub" (with $8 burgers)! They definitely want to be selling food in here. I don't imagine they'll be thrilled if we all come in here to enjoy the comfy seating and a drink and never order any food ;)

And I am really perplexed by the two flat screen TVs with no seating at all to watch them. Why spend the money?

I know that everyone on here keeps calling it the Gastropub but it's actually called GastroBar.

Slightly more emphasis on drink and less on food.

A

DSC00969-M.jpg

Edited by chamima

I love the idea that I can have some light munchies with my cocktails, that's been missing for me up to now. And if I want to make it a casual dinner instead of the MDR, great! Sometimes I just don't feel like investing 90 to 120 minutes for dinner in the dining room, especially not every night.

I think Celebrity is on track with the GastroBar as well as the buffet changes and shift in Bistro on 5 on the Summit - very much reflective of how many of us like to travel. For those who don't, there still remain the traditional lounges and dining routines. Seems like very positive ways to give us all what we want.

I know that everyone on here keeps calling it the Gastropub but it's actually called GastroBar.

Slightly more emphasis on drink and less on food.

A

DSC00969-M.jpg

IMHO the food is to, oh never mind! It is a bar, beer and wine are the primary.

Cruisingator ~ love sitting at the high tops to eat but there are only two of those with three chairs each. What happens if they get busy with people who want to eat?

As for the name - Gastro gives you the impression that it is a place to eat. Adding bar or pub to the name means pretty much the same thing regardless which word is used. The name of the place makes one think that this is a place to go drink and eat. If one of the main reasons wasn't to encourage people to grab something to eat, they could have left the word Gastro off the name.

Not trying to be difficult. I just think it's another one of those things that they aren't sure what they want it to be. I hope it works out.

At night, the old Cellar Masters was very dark and uninviting because they NEVER held anything in this room. It almost looked "closed" at night.

It wasnt dark and uninviting on Eclipse in May as Perry Grant was in Cellar Masters every night and it was packed. Unfortunately if it becomes the Gastrobar then it cannot be used for entertainment as its open onto the atrium.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any chance the other ships could be outfitted with Gastropub without undergoing a dry dock? I like the idea of the Gastropub, as it seems to appeal to more than Cellar Masters does.

I very much doubt that they would do the conversion while ships were in service. I can just imagine the complaints from passengers about the noise, dirt and non available of the venue.

Any chance the other ships could be outfitted with Gastropub without undergoing a dry dock? I like the idea of the Gastropub, as it seems to appeal to more than Cellar Masters does.

As all ships are getting a Suite Dining room added in the 1st 2 weeks of April 2015, I imagine if they also get Gastro Bar they will do at the same time. I don't think they actually need a dry dock to do GastroBar either. They build everything so modular and with CAD design techniques these days, it simply installs according to a well thought out plan. In reality all GastroBar is is some new paint, wallpaper, carpet furniture and a bar added in, with some minor electrical and plumbing modifications. The space may be close off for a couple days for some cruise but I doubt it will entail a full dry dock procedure and time off cruising.

I've installed museum exhibits and work with trade show booth builders, and this really isn't much different than those types of installations that can happen in a matter of hours or couple days.

I've read that they have done finishing touches to the new Connie AquaClass installations on the upper decks while underway, and century had new carpeting installed even in occupied cabins while underway, so figure they can do this too while underway.

Has anyone researched to see if all the ships have any holes in their schedules the 1st couple weeks in April, 2015 for the install of Suite Dining room? that may be telling if so.

Edited by cle-guy

Two different positions. Choose the one you like and we'll all wait to see what happens.

LOL, we were posting at the same time ;-)

I found something online, don't know haw accurate the source is but for what it's worth:

http://cruises.reviewed.com/features/cruise-ship-renovations-the-complete-schedule

Drydocks are due :

No date given as ship is new - Reflection, but still needs Suite dining room

May 2016 - Silhouette

April 2015 - Eclipse

April 2014 - Equiniox - this we know already happened, but still needs Suite dining room added

Nov 2016 - Solstice

April 2013 - Connie -no new date set

Feb 2015 - Summit

Nov 2014 - Infinity

Apr 2015 - Millenium

Mar 2014 - Century - done, and kind of a moot point ;-)

No Date Set - Xpedition

LOL, we were posting at the same time ;-)

I found something online, don't know haw accurate the source is but for what it's worth:

http://cruises.reviewed.com/features/cruise-ship-renovations-the-complete-schedule

Drydocks are due :

No date given as ship is new - Reflection, but still needs Suite dining room

May 2016 - Silhouette

April 2015 - Eclipse

April 2014 - Equiniox - this we know already happened, but still needs Suite dining room added

Nov 2016 - Solstice

April 2013 - Connie -no new date set

Feb 2015 - Summit

Nov 2014 - Infinity

Apr 2015 - Millenium

Mar 2014 - Century - done, and kind of a moot point ;-)

No Date Set - Xpedition

Anything at this point is speculation. We don't even know for certain that the Gastropub idea will go fleet wide. I've been hearing from a few Executive Chefs that each ship might have a different type of venue depending on itinerary. This of course is rumor and should be treated as such. We do know that all of the MDRs need to be converted to include a new Suite restaurant by April 15,2015. Work will need to be completed prior to that date so that staff can be trained and recipes tested. The major Dry Dock schedules posted just don't reflect the needed time sequence. Perhaps they will schedule some 2-4 day breaks in the schedule to do all the new installations. They can't delay an announcement too long and I suspect that we should hear something by November or December, if not before.

It wasnt dark and uninviting on Eclipse in May as Perry Grant was in Cellar Masters every night and it was packed. Unfortunately if it becomes the Gastrobar then it cannot be used for entertainment as its open onto the atrium.

Why can it not be used for entertainment? They sure have no problem putting the Miami DJ's in the Martini Bar area and that "music" (or whatever it is supposed to be) spreads throughout the ship.

I can not wait to try this GastroBar when on board Oct 14 love the idea of being able to use our drink package and order a few items to eat if we want great place to relax with friends :o

Board EQ tomorrow, and will be sipping cold ones as soon as the GB opens. Weather is stunning in Istanbul right now - as it was last October on Connie. What a great town! :D:D:D

NAVFAM

Anything at this point is speculation. We don't even know for certain that the Gastropub idea will go fleet wide. I've been hearing from a few Executive Chefs that each ship might have a different type of venue depending on itinerary. This of course is rumor and should be treated as such. We do know that all of the MDRs need to be converted to include a new Suite restaurant by April 15,2015. Work will need to be completed prior to that date so that staff can be trained and recipes tested. The major Dry Dock schedules posted just don't reflect the needed time sequence. Perhaps they will schedule some 2-4 day breaks in the schedule to do all the new installations. They can't delay an announcement too long and I suspect that we should hear something by November or December, if not before.

I agree Orator. It's all speculation at this point. What's really odd, is that all ships (other than Century) will require a dedicated MDR venue for Suite guests. I cant see how that can possibly be accomplished while the ship is in service. From what Cle-guy posted, it seems 1/2 the fleet wont have a Drydock before the deadline. So, I'm not buying the list as it stands, and I suspect that other Drydocks (perhaps short ones ?) will be added to the ships that have nothing scheduled before April 2015.

As for Gastrobar, I look forward to additional comments to those who've experienced the venue on Equinox.

We'll see how it all plays out. Hopefully, we'll hear from Celebrity soon.