Gastropub

Cruising89143

Thanks, unfortunately I need a proper table to eat from, not a coffee table type thing.

It's not like there is a shortage of great places to eat though so not the end of the world, just an addition I was looking forward too so a bit disappointing.

Thanks, unfortunately I need a proper table to eat from, not a coffee table type thing.

It's not like there is a shortage of great places to eat though so not the end of the world, just an addition I was looking forward too so a bit disappointing.

I just bet that if you ask they will get you a proper table. I'm fairly certain that they recognize that many passengers require wheelchairs and that they are prepared for the request. Enjoy your cruise and let us know how it works out.

I hope that if the gastrobar is introduced on the other ships that they will

take into consideration tables and chairs suitable for food service, making do with a plate on an ottoman sounds like a recipe for potential spillage. There are enough areas with unsuitable seating already, particularly the Sky Lounge on Eclipse with its huge ottomans in the curved seating areas which are horrible places to put drinks on. Have seen too many spilled beverages there.

I hope that if the gastrobar is introduced on the other ships that they will

take into consideration tables and chairs suitable for food service, making do with a plate on an ottoman sounds like a recipe for potential spillage. There are enough areas with unsuitable seating already, particularly the Sky Lounge on Eclipse with its huge ottomans in the curved seating areas which are horrible places to put drinks on. Have seen too many spilled beverages there.

Agreed. I would like to eat dinner here some nights and by the sounds of the menu...lots of cheesy/greasy foods, a proper table would be most suitable. A hightop communal table might be nice...just some sort of table that is higher than your lap. Anyone find out yet when Reflection is going into dry dock yet?

Edited by jenniebnyc

The pub on QM 2 had great tables and booths...more for food and drink than little sofas and chairs...but it had great pub food and little peg games, trivia etc...

maybe not like X's concept of Modern Luxury..but a great place for lunch or casual meals...

Just off the ship on the 21st (and enjoyed our cruise so much I booked another one for DH and I in August!!)

The Gastrobar was packed during evening hours during our cruise with World Cup games playing on all the TVs into the very late night hours and an energetic atmosphere. There was one red wine on the classic package (syrah/carignan) which I enjoyed several times. My dad sampled the mushroom flatbread one evening after the show and before dinner, and the portion was so large he ended up making lots of friends at the bar and sharing! I never felt pressured to buy food and spent several hours there with other enthusiastic football fans. The venue was quiet during the day, much as Cellar Masters used to be.

The Gastrobar was packed during evening hours during our cruise with World Cup games playing on all the TVs into the very late night hours and an energetic atmosphere. There was one red wine on the classic package (syrah/carignan) which I enjoyed several times. My dad sampled the mushroom flatbread one evening after the show and before dinner, and the portion was so large he ended up making lots of friends at the bar and sharing! I never felt pressured to buy food and spent several hours there with other enthusiastic football fans. The venue was quiet during the day, much as Cellar Masters used to be.

This exactly how I see this venue being used, not as a "dining venue" to enjoy a meal, but one to get nibbles while chatting with new friends and watching whatever event may be happening on the TV's, and sharing the nibbles with family and friends, with the occasional good old giant greasy hamburger to soak up the liquor in my belly when I've enjoyed the bar so much. Enough venues exist for normal dining, this one with its far relaxed atmosphere sounds like a great idea to me and no need to add proper height doing tables, it's a bar first and foremost, a place to eat second.

I think everyone needs to give X time to see what works and what tweaks will need to be made since this is the first ship to receive this venue. If more tables are needed that's an easy correction. The menu will also be tweaked based on feedback from guests. So far it seems that most who have visited this venue agree with my findings that the food is good. I think X made a smart move by changing out Cellar Masters.

Edited by cruisingator2

I think everyone needs to give X time to see what works and what tweaks will need to be made since this is the first ship to receive this venue. If more tables are needed that's an easy correction. The menu will also be tweaked based on feedback from guests. So far it seems that most who have visited this venue agree with my findings that the food is good. I think X made a smart move by changing out Cellar Masters.

As much as i liked Cellar Masters, there were never more than 10 people (if that many) in there with us.

I also think this was a smart move.

I agree that the germ of an idea is good, just am concerned that the place is not plagued with hard seating, chairs that are too low to the ground, tables that aren't a good height. I wish the would test them with real people sitting in them, people with maybe bad hips, bad knees, bad backs. Not that everyone on board is decrepit, but really, try to sit in the Sky Lounge on Solstice and half the chairs there are just downright wrong

Is it possible to order drinks that are covered by the classic drinks package in the Gastropub?

the menu's a the start of the thread only show drinks from the premium package pricing.

Am I reading right that michaels bar has now closed on Equinox?,

I always thought this room was out of place on sillouette, I only used it once as it felt like drinking in a cupboard and had no atmosphere.

Is it possible to order drinks that are covered by the classic drinks package in the Gastropub?

the menu's a the start of the thread only show drinks from the premium package pricing.

Am I reading right that michaels bar has now closed on Equinox?,

I always thought this room was out of place on sillouette, I only used it once as it felt like drinking in a cupboard and had no atmosphere.

Good morning.....All the Michael's Club are going to be (if they are not

already) closed to the public. They are all being used as private

lounges for Suite passengers and Zenith members of Captain's Club.

Good morning.....All the Michael's Club are going to be (if they are not

already) closed to the public. They are all being used as private

lounges for Suite passengers and Zenith members of Captain's Club.

All were already converted 1st quarter this year to the private club.

Checked out the menu's, be nice if they added soft pretzels. Go great with the draft craft beers :D.

Unfortunately I will be on the Eclipse end of September, I would have enjoyed the Gastropub.

You are right about there being a lot of great places to eat on board, but the Gastropub does have side tables that are about three feet high. We put our drinks on these and our food on the foot stools. The foot stools would be too low for you, but the tables would be a good height to place a drink. I would contact Celebrity before you go. The ship should be accessible to everyone. There may be tables for you that I did not see.

I think Cellar Masters is a beautiful venue, but definitely underused.

That said, I am one of those who is not charmed by yet another 'pay-for-play' option. I keep hearing that defended as 'keeping prices down'. Well, I don't know what cruises others are booking, but for the itineraries I am choosing the prices are considerably higher than they were a few short years ago - much more so than inflation would suggest. Are they less expensive when compared with 20 years ago when I started cruising? Yes......BUT. Did anyone consider that maybe 20 years ago cruises were way overpriced?? Increased capacity has solved that issue. And what about their increased savings on supplies per passenger due to scaling? And on the topic of scaling, it is cheaper I imagine to build a ship with 2000+passengers than one with 800 on a per person basis. Yes, prices on everything have risen, but as I said on my particular sailings the increased cost exceeds inflation by a considerable amount. I have seen this on other cruises I have considered as well.

So call me a corporate skeptic, but this is not all about keeping prices down IMHO. It is about more revenue because good enough is never good enough for corporations. I am not saying this is right or wrong (businesses are in the business, after all, of turning a profit), but I really question that this is about keeping prices down - I am just not seeing it.:)

So call me a corporate skeptic, but this is not all about keeping prices down IMHO. It is about more revenue because good enough is never good enough for corporations. I am not saying this is right or wrong (businesses are in the business, after all, of turning a profit), but I really question that this is about keeping prices down - I am just not seeing it.:)

Of course this is correct. I dont recall ever reading any press release from the Co about this being an effort to keep cost down.

The only time I have any problem with a Co making a profit is when they lie, cheat, or steal to do it. Think, Enron.

Edited by wallie5446

I don't see this as being any different. Cellar Masters was a bar. One had to pay for wine in this venue. The Gastropub is a bar. One has to pay for beer and wine in this venue. The only change is food has been added that does have a cost but one does not to order food. Take away the food and there is really no difference.

Edited by cruisingator2

Ive got mixed feelings. Yes of course Cellar Masters was underused despite being a great space. However the menu offerings seem pretty limited to me and as my OH is a Veggie and there are no dishes marked as being vegetarian then we couldnt eat there. I personally think they should have a wider choice of small tapas style dishes that people can enjoy with drinks. Maybe as pre dinner snacks or exciting desserts to go with post dinner drinks.

I think it risks falling down the cracks, not attracting that many people who want to eat (and pay to do so) and drinkers being put off from entering as they think you have to eat to visit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by kevinyork
added

Aren't these one in the same? The revenue has to come from somewhere to keep stockholders and the "street" happy. Either they raise the base price and include more things, or keep base prices more consistent and create new revenue opportunities. If people won't pay as prices increase, they get more creative and hold the line on base price (I guess some call this saving money). Or, in their ideal world the raise prices and create more revenue opportunities. As long as we pay, they make $$ and they'll continue to raise prices whereever they can.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Checked out the menu's, be nice if they added soft pretzels. Go great with the draft craft beers :D.

Unfortunately I will be on the Eclipse end of September, I would have enjoyed the Gastropub.

If it's more the craft beer than pretzels you're looking for then make sure you check out Cellar Masters on Eclipse. We just got off Summit and DW found a craft beer menu with the wine list...unfortunately it was the second to the last night. :( Maybe you'll be luckier than me. :D

I don't see this as being any different. Cellar Masters was a bar. One had to pay for wine in this venue. The Gastropub is a bar. One has to pay for beer and wine in this venue. The only change is food has been added that does have a cost but one does not to order food. Take away the food and there is really no difference.

By the way, I forgot to mention earlier, great pics.:D

Aren't these one in the same? The revenue has to come from somewhere to keep stockholders and the "street" happy. Either they raise the base price and include more things, or keep base prices more consistent and create new revenue opportunities. If people won't pay as prices increase, they get more creative and hold the line on base price (I guess some call this saving money). Or, in their ideal world the raise prices and create more revenue opportunities. As long as we pay, they make $$ and they'll continue to raise prices whereever they can.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

One point I was making is that IMHO base prices have been anything but consistent. Sailings I have looked into and/or booked are considerably higher than 2-3 years past. Maybe others are not finding that the case? It is true for me.