Gastropub

Cruising89143

We just returned from the Aug 12-26 sailing of the Equinox. The cruise included only 550 people from the U.S., while 500 were from Spain and over 1,100 from the UK. Give this geographic makeup, we expected the Gastropub to be a very busy venue. Ironically, it was virtually dead most evenings. I am not sure why but there seemed to be little interest. I suspect Celebrity may have to return to the drawing board.

We just returned from the Aug 12-26 sailing of the Equinox. The cruise included only 550 people from the U.S., while 500 were from Spain and over 1,100 from the UK. Give this geographic makeup, we expected the Gastropub to be a very busy venue. Ironically, it was virtually dead most evenings. I am not sure why but there seemed to be little interest. I suspect Celebrity may have to return to the drawing board.

Thanks Steve.

Did you try any of the beer or wine offered?

Interesting.

They've already announced that they will add a Gastrobar to the Eclipse this coming April. Maybe a premature decision.

Someone else backs up my experience also.

Seems like a good idea in theory which is why people who haven't cruised on Equinox don't understand so much. I just think it was poorly executed. It's just not a great place to linger. It reminded me of the bar on QM2 which I don't like much either. But the food there at least, is free.

And there so many other lovely places to sit and drink on the Equinox that it loses out.

Other than the specialty restaurants, the "pay for" places are quiet too aren't they? Bacio?

Edited by Pushka

Perhaps bc most pax were from the UK, which has loads of pubs, they weren't interested in something they can get at home.

I look forward to trying it out. All the gastropubs in CA are totally overpriced and tapas size portions. Plus all the hipsters that really turn me off.

I suspect Celebrity may have to return to the drawing board.

And according to one of the officers on my cruise last week on Solstice, it will be put on Solstice during drydock in 16.

The press release was put out yesterday that the GastroBar is being added to the Eclipse during the dry dock March 2015.

Looks great fantastic beer list its a pity it will not be on the Eclipse in Jan for our first Celebrity cruise ,I guess we will just have to book another

which cruise in january ?

we are on the one leaving on 18th:cool:

And according to one of the officers on my cruise last week on Solstice, it will be put on Solstice during drydock in 16.

The press release was put out yesterday that the GastroBar is being added to the Eclipse during the dry dock March 2015.

Thanks guys.

Mr Sloop & I are Wine Lovers... So we will miss Cellarmasters (preferred the "drawing room" set up on the S-Class Ships (Solstice 2012) to the open hallway plan on the M-Class Ships (Summit 2013).

But we will survive, lol

Guess i'll have to savor my wine in Cellarmasters a little more often lol on our upcoming cruise on the Connie

Mr Sloop likes his beer... And he especially liked Michaels Club as a revamped World Beer & Sports Bar... So with it now gone back to Captain Club & Suites Elite space, it is good to know hat Celebrity has found a replacement.

I think that the enclosed Cellarmasters spot on the S-Class Ships will work well for this pub style venue (lol, dark decor already in place). And bigger is better based on our previous experiences with Michaels Club... That venue was certainly popular especially in January during the US Football Playdowns.

Besides the beer & pub fare (extra cost not so great)... Does anyone know if there are plans to also have Tvs (sorry guys I apologize for not reading this entire thread). Mr Sloop & I could live without the Tvs for the most part... But it might be nice once in awhile during Hockey Season / Playoffs to catch a bit of a game)

Cheers!

Thanks guys.

Mr Sloop & I are Wine Lovers... Mr Sloop likes his beer...

Besides the beer & pub fare (extra cost not so great)... Does anyone know if there are plans to also have Tvs (sorry guys I apologize for not reading this entire thread). Mr Sloop & I could live without the Tvs for the most part... But it might be nice once in awhile during Hockey Season / Playoffs to catch a bit of a game)

Cheers!

There are 5-6 TV's, it was packed during the World Cup, and they still have a lot of the wine selections too.

( from what we have read )

There are several TVs over the bar and at the opposite end.

It was busy on the recent Soccer WC nights. We were at the Gastrobar on the Final night. (Sunday 16th). We stayed perhaps about 20 minutes as there were no seats. There was plenty of space to stand though but no tables available to put drinks on. The Final was also televised in the Theatre and on the cabin TVs which is where we ended up.

There are so many posts to read! I am being lazy and hoping that someone will give me the answer so that I do not need to read them all. I told you that I was lazy.

Is this new Gastropub on the Infinity yet, if not when is it planned?

Thanks

No, it is not.

There are no plans that are public, and no announcements to put it on any M-Class ships, which Infinity is one. So far, Equinox has it, Eclipse is getting it. Both are S-Class. This of course does not preclude it from happening in the future.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

No, it is not.

There are no plans that are public, and no announcements to put it on any M-Class ships, which Infinity is one. So far, Equinox has it, Eclipse is getting it. Both are S-Class. This of course does not preclude it from happening in the future.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Thank you Jenna.

Is the Gastro Pub open at embarkation?

It was open when we boarded Equinox on 21 June in Istanbul. While waiting for the cabins to open, we chatted with the three staff members, ordered a few small food items and enjoyed ourselves.

Maybe it doesn't take much to make us happy, but our experience on that B2B was just fine.

MARK

There are so many posts to read! I am being lazy and hoping that someone will give me the answer so that I do not need to read them all. I told you that I was lazy.

Is this new Gastropub on the Infinity yet, if not when is it planned?

Thanks

When we were on Millennium we were told there are no plans to change Cellar Masters to a Gastropub on the M Class ships. On the M class Cellar Masters is in an open, pass through area to the restaurant, which would make it hard to add TV's and create a pub atmosphere

Mary Lou

I'm not sure why my dislike of the Gastrobar has been construed as us not loving the Equinox but it seems it has. It is possible to not like something without it bring a detraction you know. And this thread asked for opinions. ;). We loved the Equinox and have rebooked for next year. Just won't be spending time at this bar.

As far as being easy to please on a cruise, our favourite time was grabbing a plate of sushi from the buffet and a glass of wine from the aft bar and sitting out in the Med sunshine watching the view as we sailed away. That is simple pleasure.

Edited by Pushka

We like Equinox too, and all the S class ships, but we don't like the concept of the Gastrobar/pub. Much prefer Cellar Masters but that won't keep us from booking on an S class if the itinerary is right. It is just coincidence that our last and next 2 cruises are on M class ships.

Mary Lou

• 4 weeks later...