Gastropub

Cruising89143

I guess I'm going to have to buck the tide here to say that I will miss Cellar Masters. I like wine and the ability to pick and chose was a draw for me. And yes, I liked the solitude at times. Celebrity has made a reputation for itself as having a better wine list than most cruise lines. If that list becomes limited to dinners and the dining venues, that advantage over the other cruise lines is significantly lessened.

Was Cellar Masters underused? Probably. But so was Michaels before the changeover. To me that is not a reason to abandon the concepts, but merely a challenge to see how the concepts could be tweaked to improve its usage. Cellar Masters was a great place for wine tastings, or other smaller gatherings.

My concern is that if Celebrity continues to go through the fleet converting "under utilized" or non revenue generating spaces, the ships will lose the cachet that made them Celebrity in the first place. What's next, converting the Hideaway or the Library?

Let's face it, one of the reasons to sail Celebrity is for those touches of class that the ship offers so generously. Not every spot on the ship has to or should be used as another cash cow. There is a lot to be said for offering options from the highly popular to the more eclectic.

I'll admit it. I'm not a traveler who will be able to afford enjoying Michaels any time soon. That loses me one of my quieter havens aboard ship. Now with Cellar Masters changing, I'm losing another.

I guess I'm going to have to buck the tide here to say that I will miss Cellar Masters. I like wine and the ability to pick and chose was a draw for me. And yes, I liked the solitude at times. Celebrity has made a reputation for itself as having a better wine list than most cruise lines. If that list becomes limited to dinners and the dining venues, that advantage over the other cruise lines is significantly lessened.

Was Cellar Masters underused? Probably. But so was Michaels before the changeover. To me that is not a reason to abandon the concepts, but merely a challenge to see how the concepts could be tweaked to improve its usage. Cellar Masters was a great place for wine tastings, or other smaller gatherings.

My concern is that if Celebrity continues to go through the fleet converting "under utilized" or non revenue generating spaces, the ships will lose the cachet that made them Celebrity in the first place. What's next, converting the Hideaway or the Library?

Let's face it, one of the reasons to sail Celebrity is for those touches of class that the ship offers so generously. Not every spot on the ship has to or should be used as another cash cow. There is a lot to be said for offering options from the highly popular to the more eclectic.

I'll admit it. I'm not a traveler who will be able to afford enjoying Michaels any time soon. That loses me one of my quieter havens aboard ship. Now with Cellar Masters changing, I'm losing another.

What an excellent summary of the changes. We too are a long way from enjoying Michaels again ( though not sure we would want too given how empty it was on our Eclipse cruise we disembarked from last week).

Im undecided re Cellar Masters. Its way underused and the wine machines are redundant. However its Perry Grants' home on Eclipse after he was moved from Michaels and we, and he, are not sure where is left for his entertainment style.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess I'm going to have to buck the tide here to say that I will miss Cellar Masters. I like wine and the ability to pick and chose was a draw for me. And yes, I liked the solitude at times.

One of the reasons I keep asking for thoughts from returning cruisers, is for information on the wine selection that remains from Cellar Masters in the GastroBar.

From reading what little has been posted, and put out by Celebrity, all the same wines are still available as before. Only the machines are gone. Except when a game of some sort is on the TV's it has been reported to be the same quiet unattended spot as before when it was CM.

We need some comments from wine drinkers! Help!

What an excellent summary of the changes. We too are a long way from enjoying Michaels again ( though not sure we would want too given how empty it was on our Eclipse cruise we disembarked from last week). ]

A lot of my concern is that the last time I sailed on Celebrity was on the Reflection right after its launch in 2012, I enjoyed both Michaels and Cellar Masters. But, I will agree that even then, both spaces were not that busy. I will admit that the Gasto Bar concept itself does seem interesting. It almost seems to be a re do of what Michaels was supposed to be originally. But it seems like the line is slowly losing its uniqueness and that disturbs me.

I am not surprised that Michaels was still empty. If my math is correct, there would only be 2-3% of the Passengers eligible to use it. So even if everyone of them showed up, it wouldn't be crowded. It does make me wonder what will happen once the new suite life perks get implemented. It seems kind of redundant to have a private lounge for the upper level suites when you are also giving those customers free premium drink packages.

Edited by capecodmercury

I feel exactly the same way. I am excited about the new gastropub concept (even though it will probably be dated by the time it is implemented across more of the fleet) and believe that if done right it too can be "classy," but I will miss Cellar Masters. I believe that with some tweaks and better marketing, they could have popularized it more. At least the decor seems to be about the same, except for the TVs (not my personal favorite).

Edited by Kathamo

If my math is correct, there would only be 2-3% of the Passengers eligible to use it. So even if everyone of them showed up, it wouldn't be crowded. It does make me wonder what will happen once the new suite life perks get implemented. It seems kind of redundant to have a private lounge for the upper level suites when you are also giving those customers free premium drink packages.

I'm not sure of percentages, but basically 26 or so cabins have access, double occupancy, 50 or so people, plus Zeniths and those deemed VIP by the cruise line.

I doubt many of the suite cruisers are using it for the free booze (which is only Royals and above, Celebrity Suites don't get this perk) versus the canapés, working with the concierge on excursions, future cruise bookings, the private entertainment that occasionally shows up, assisting with dinner or other reservations, assisting with setting up a party or gathering in one's suite, or just finding a group of people to hang out with and chat before dinner, in a quieter place than Martini, and a place where a preferred drink can be had promptly without waiting as at martini and any other place at the dinner rush periods.

Free booze is certainly yet LAST thing on my mind when visiting, even when I have no drink package. I just appreciate the swift service.

Quote doesn't seem to be working

Curt said: Free booze is certainly yet LAST thing on my mind when visiting, even when I have no drink package. I just appreciate the swift service.

Did you have problems with slow service too onboard the Summit? We've never had such slow service. 45 minutes in Bisto on 5 (they comped us)

I doubt many of the suite cruisers are using it for the free booze (which is only Royals and above, Celebrity Suites don't get this perk)

I think Michael's Club offers free drinks in the evening to everyone eligible to frequent it, including Celebrity Suite guests. The free beverage packages are only offered to RS & the Penthouse Suites.

Mary Lou

I'm not sure of percentages, but basically 26 or so cabins have access, double occupancy, 50 or so people, plus Zeniths and those deemed VIP by the cruise line.

I doubt many of the suite cruisers are using it for the free booze (which is only Royals and above, Celebrity Suites don't get this perk) versus the canapés, working with the concierge on excursions, future cruise bookings, the private entertainment that occasionally shows up, assisting with dinner or other reservations, assisting with setting up a party or gathering in one's suite, or just finding a group of people to hang out with and chat before dinner, in a quieter place than Martini, and a place where a preferred drink can be had promptly without waiting as at martini and any other place at the dinner rush periods.

Free booze is certainly yet LAST thing on my mind when visiting, even when I have no drink package. I just appreciate the swift service.

You may be right. I hadn't considered the concierge aspects you referred to. But, I have to regret the loss of a fine facility. And, to tell you the truth I'm afraid that my concerns are getting off topic to the discussion of the Gastro Bar., which I do hope to visit someday. With that, I think I'll take my concerns to one of the Michael's threads.

We too are a long way from enjoying Michaels again ( though not sure we would want too given how empty it was on our Eclipse cruise we disembarked from last week).

It seems as though the uncrowdedness and exclusivity of Michael's Club is one of the things Orator, Cruisenut, and some of the ones that actually have access to Michael's is what they liked the most about it.

Edited by Texed

Was just off the Equinox and tried out the gastro bar. Nice quiet place ( perhaps not so much with big games on tv ) We saw that they offered bottles of wine on Tues / or Thurs dont remember which, for 30% LESS. cOULD SAMPLE THE WINE, THEN COULD ALSO TAKE IT TO YOUR ROOM! Thought that a very good deal as we dont get the package. I am not a drinker so cannot tell you names of wine.

Also we did not eat there but food looked good when others ordred around us.

Was just off the Equinox and tried out the gastro bar. Nice quiet place ( perhaps not so much with big games on tv ) We saw that they offered bottles of wine on Tues / or Thurs dont remember which, for 30% LESS. cOULD SAMPLE THE WINE, THEN COULD ALSO TAKE IT TO YOUR ROOM!

Since you bought it onboard, you should also be able to bring that 30% off bottle of wine to the dining room without paying a corkage fee.

We feel the same way. We went to Cellar Masters every night on our last few cruises.

Quote doesn't seem to be working

Curt said: Free booze is certainly yet LAST thing on my mind when visiting, even when I have no drink package. I just appreciate the swift service.

Did you have problems with slow service too onboard the Summit? We've never had such slow service. 45 minutes in Bisto on 5 (they comped us)

The service delays are at Martini Bar for example, at the dinner rush. Place is always packed and it can take 5 minutes to get a drink there. Sometimes in the crush, they even run out of glassware, so one has to wait for clean glasses to come back to even get a drink.

The service delays are at Martini Bar for example, at the dinner rush. Place is always packed and it can take 5 minutes to get a drink there. Sometimes in the crush, they even run out of glassware, so one has to wait for clean glasses to come back to even get a drink.

Curt, can we please keep this thread to information about the GastroBar.

Thanks, EW

But who has checked out the wine selection in the GastroBar?

Cruisingator2 posted the menu, including wine, at the very beginning of this thread. Unless something has changed, it's not much of a list, though I'm sure I could find an acceptable red.

Sadly, the Shiraz your wife and I enjoy is not there.

Cheers!

Edit: also, no smushed peas, a new favorite after our trip to the UK.

Edited by k9x8

[quote name='k9x8']Cruisingator2 posted the menu, including wine, at the very beginning of this thread. Unless something has changed, it's not much of a list, though I'm sure I could find an acceptable red.

Sadly, the Shiraz your wife and I enjoy is not there.

Cheers!

Edit: also, no smushed peas, a new favorite after our trip to the UK.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Pam! I know they tweek things all the time, we have friends getting on board for the TA, and are waiting to read what they think.

The New Zealand Wairau River Sauvignon Blanc that we enjoy is not there either. I'm glad we are sailing on M class ships on our next 2 cruises. Hopefully Cellar Masters will not be changed on these ships, or Celebrity will come to their senses and add back the wines to the new venue.

Mary Lou Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

Last year on the Eclipse there was either a Cabernet or a Malbec (the two wines I like the best) that was $13/glass and Cellarmasters was the ONLY place on the ship I could get it. I don't remember seeing it on that posted list either.

Having been asked by another member to post about Gastro pub as we've just returned from the equinox, here I am :)

Before the cruise I was very keen on this venue and had looked at the photos, read the menu and was keen to try it out.

I can only describe it as a place of two halves, both totally different to each other. It was either totally empty or totally full!

We stopped by a couple of times thinking of eating lunch there and the place was empty, we would have felt very conspicuous sat there with people walking past eating alone (I know this can happen in bistro but it's screened off) we also noticed that the menu prices do not compare to the prices we first saw and a burger is now $12 other larger plates $8 then small at $6 etc in fact the whole menu is more expensive. I think when you can have several courses in bistro for $7 it's a bit much to charge.

At other times when we passed in the evening there was American football on the TV and the place we full with people, sometimes loud sometimes not, but again not the kind of place you would eat.

When it was busy it seemed like a sports bar, I'm sure people will love that, we didn't. We never went once :(

BUT the new slush place on the pool deck is fantastic :D

Thanks for your review Debbie. This does not sound like a venue we would enjoy much or frequent often. Wally and I would still like to know what wines are available, which might change my mind. The 1st menu's posted had a very limited wine list, especially compared to Cellar Masters. Can you speak to that?

Right now we are booked on 2 M class ships so hope to still be able to enjoy the Cellar Masters of old. :D

Mary Lou