Gastropub

Cruising89143

[quote name='DebbieMacG']Having been asked by another member to post about Gastro pub as we've just returned from the equinox, here I am :)

Before the cruise I was very keen on this venue and had looked at the photos, read the menu and was keen to try it out.

I can only describe it as a place of two halves, both totally different to each other. It was either totally empty or totally full!

We stopped by a couple of times thinking of eating lunch there and the place was empty, we would have felt very conspicuous sat there with people walking past eating alone (I know this can happen in bistro but it's screened off) we also noticed that the menu prices do not compare to the prices we first saw and a burger is now $12 other larger plates $8 then small at $6 etc in fact the whole menu is more expensive. I think when you can have several courses in bistro for $7 it's a bit much to charge.

At other times when we passed in the evening there was American football on the TV and the place we full with people, sometimes loud sometimes not, but again not the kind of place you would eat.

When it was busy it seemed like a sports bar, I'm sure people will love that, we didn't. We never went once :(

BUT the new slush place on the pool deck is fantastic :D[/quote]

$12 for a Burger????:mad:

We liked both Micheals Bar & Cellar Master because they were quite. We are not in to a lot of loud music & prefer places where you can hold a conversation without having to shout. This is the only real gripe I have with Celebrity but can't see it being rectified.

[quote name='fatbaldbloke']We liked both Micheals Bar & Cellar Master because they were quite. We are not in to a lot of loud music & prefer places where you can hold a conversation without having to shout. This is the only real gripe I have with Celebrity but can't see it being rectified.[/QUOTE]

On the Equinox right now and DH and I just spent a lovely hour at the Gastrobar. Really nice ambience, some people at the bar chatting with the bartenders, a couple sf groups of four sitting in the really comfortable chairs chatting. Don't understand what all the angst is about. Lol. I will be there lots over the next 14 days:)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

[quote name='Christine Frances']On the Equinox right now and DH and I just spent a lovely hour at the Gastrobar. Really nice ambience, some people at the bar chatting with the bartenders, a couple sf groups of four sitting in the really comfortable chairs chatting. Don't understand what all the angst is about. Lol. I will be there lots over the next 14 days:)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

My wife and I will be on 12/22/14 and are very excited to try it. Sounds great!! Thanks for the update!!

[quote name='Christine Frances']On the Equinox right now and DH and I just spent a lovely hour at the Gastrobar. Really nice ambience, some people at the bar chatting with the bartenders, a couple sf groups of four sitting in the really comfortable chairs chatting. Don't understand what all the angst is about. Lol. I will be there lots over the next 14 days:)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app[/quote]

Thanks Christine!
If you get a chance to look at the wine by the glass offerings, let us know what you think, please!:D
EW

I think the angst is about the reduced and limited wine choices reported as being offered vs the choices in Cellar Masters for us wine lovers. If you could post the wine choices you'd find a lot of happy cruisers.

Mary Lou

Could you please check and see if the Whispering Angel Rose is still on the Gastrobar menu? It is on the menu at the top of this thread. That wine is not offered anywhere else on the ship by the glass (free with the premium package). I am booked on the Equinox in Jan & March.

Thanks in advance:)

[quote name='whataboutport']What a bummer about the food prices going up. I wanted to try a bunch of things but not if everything is $8-12 a plate. I was hoping it was going to be like Vintages on Allure. A few bucks for a plate of tapas.[/QUOTE]

Tapas

What a great idea...for a few bucks...even better

Anyone listening??

[quote name='whataboutport']What a bummer about the food prices going up. I wanted to try a bunch of things but not if everything is $8-12 a plate. I was hoping it was going to be like Vintages on Allure. A few bucks for a plate of tapas.[/QUOTE]

I have to admit, I made meals out of some of that tapas on Allure. That was some pretty good stuff at a good price. Too bad Celebrity didn't follow suit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just back from the Equinox. Our group of seven really enjoyed the Gastropub, as it has little alcoves perfect for a group of our size to chat in. The beers included on the Classic package were very limited, but our group was happy enough with the included beer, and many of us opted for wine and cocktails instead. I'm sure my husband would enjoy trying some of the other beers - maybe next time. His favourite drink, it turns out, is a free drink. :D

I must say, I found the food choices a little too unusual for my tastes. Our clan would have been happy to have a plain old order of regular or sweet potato fries to share, or maybe some chips and dip, but the only thing close was fries with truffle oil which didn't appeal to us. We ended up getting cheese and crackers from the buffet and bringing them down. I think the menu leans more to gourmet pub meals than snacks. They might have more success adding some simple snacks for those of us who just want a little something. The only people we saw order food was a group who came in with an officer.

The room was never really busy while we were there, but we had a very port-intensive Med cruise, and most people were going to bed early to prepare for the next day, I suspect.

It didn't seem like the décor changed that much from Cellar Masters, so I'm surprised the other ships haven't converted their rooms yet. Perhaps they're still waiting to see how successful the concept will be on warmer itineraries. We definitely liked it and certainly spent more time there than we ever did in Cellar Masters.

[quote name='Big_G']I have to admit, I made meals out of some of that tapas on Allure. That was some pretty good stuff at a good price. Too bad Celebrity didn't follow suit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

What we ordered was more than enough! Couldn't even finish it all and we only ordered a few things.

[quote name='BrendaJ']Just back from the Equinox. Our group of seven really enjoyed the Gastropub, as it has little alcoves perfect for a group of our size to chat in. The beers included on the Classic package were very limited, but our group was happy enough with the included beer, and many of us opted for wine and cocktails instead. I'm sure my husband would enjoy trying some of the other beers - maybe next time. His favourite drink, it turns out, is a free drink. :D

I must say, I found the food choices a little too unusual for my tastes. Our clan would have been happy to have a plain old order of regular or sweet potato fries to share, or maybe some chips and dip, but the only thing close was fries with truffle oil which didn't appeal to us. We ended up getting cheese and crackers from the buffet and bringing them down. I think the menu leans more to gourmet pub meals than snacks. They might have more success adding some simple snacks for those of us who just want a little something. The only people we saw order food was a group who came in with an officer.

The room was never really busy while we were there, but we had a very port-intensive Med cruise, and most people were going to bed early to prepare for the next day, I suspect.

It didn't seem like the décor changed that much from Cellar Masters, so I'm surprised the other ships haven't converted their rooms yet. Perhaps they're still waiting to see how successful the concept will be on warmer itineraries. We definitely liked it and certainly spent more time there than we ever did in Cellar Masters.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Brenda!
How were the wine choices?
EW

[quote name='steveweese']Sorry but i have not had time to read all of the posts. Whats ships is the Gastro Pub on right now?[/QUOTE]

Equinox now, and it's been confirmed Eclipse is getting it during its dry dock in Spring 2015. It's not yet been published to my knowledge, if any other ships are set for the makeover.

[quote name='bhughey']Prices look much higher than the first menu I saw posted on cruise critic.[/quote]
Yup, saw that too, and the craft beer and wine selections have been 'tweeked' some too. Oh well, in 3 days we shall finally see first hand!:)

[quote name='wallie5446']Thanks Brenda!
How were the wine choices?
EW[/QUOTE]

Sorry, forgot to check back on this thread.

I'm afraid I'm not that picky about wine (especially after at least two glasses at dinner). In the Gastropub, our basic package seems to cover whatever grape variety I happened to ask for each evening, although I couldn't say what brands were served.

No complaints from me, in any case.