Teachers

Anyone ever heard of RC offering any type of educators discount? I have cruised every July for the last eight summers on RC and always end up talking with four or five other teachers. I guess we teachers all recharge on peace, quiet and blue water:) As a teacher, I can sail in a six-seven week window from mid-June to the end of July due to school scheduling. No flaming please but cruising at Christmas is not an option with family and sometimes as few as 10 days off and well, spring break cruising (with your students and their families) kind of defeats the peace and quiet aspect. So really the only doable time a majority of teachers can cruise is during peak price summer season;just wondering if RC has ever offered anything for us....

Anyone ever heard of RC offering any type of educators discount? I have cruised every July for the last eight summers on RC and always end up talking with four or five other teachers. I guess we teachers all recharge on peace, quiet and blue water:) As a teacher, I can sail in a six-seven week window from mid-June to the end of July due to school scheduling. No flaming please but cruising at Christmas is not an option with family and sometimes as few as 10 days off and well, spring break cruising (with your students and their families) kind of defeats the peace and quiet aspect. So really the only doable time a majority of teachers can cruise is during peak price summer season;just wondering if RC has ever offered anything for us....

I got a huge discount on a panama canal transit wiith celebrity. it was a september cruise so only retired teachers could take advantage.

Cruising on the Allure a few weeks after you, please bring her back safe:) Wondering if a letter to RC corporate might make them aware of teachers love for blue water but limited time frame to enjoy it.....

Cruising on the Allure a few weeks after you, please bring her back safe:) Wondering if a letter to RC corporate might make them aware of teachers love for blue water but limited time frame to enjoy it.....

Have many educators in my family and truly think it's an admirable profession but don't understand why RCCL should offer a discount due to the "limited time frame" ?

Worked in the private sector and I too had a limited window of time in which to take vacations and never received a discount nor felt entitled to one. I looked for cruises that offered a resident discount. It takes constantly checking but have gotten it more often than not.

Edited by xxoocruiser

As a fellow teacher I saw Holland American offered them but usually other discounts were better. I do the week before Christmas a lot because it is pretty reasonable, but I agree it makes Christmas time very crazy. Though it is fun to see other places around the holidays.

We just have to do what everyone else does and check prices.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Have many educators in my family and truly think it's an admirable profession but don't understand why RCCL should offer a discount due to the "limited time frame" ?

Worked in the private sector and I too had a limited window of time in which to take vacations and never received a discount nor felt entitled to one. I looked for cruises that offered a resident discount. It takes constantly checking but have gotten it more often than not.

I run my own business and it costs me twice as much to go on holiday, as not only do I have to pay a cruise fare, I don't earn anything while I am away.

Also, in the UK, there is a limited time frame of sunny weather (yes really!) so everyone can only take a UK summer cruise in a 6 week period - and even then its not guaranteed! And even in business there are limits on the weeks you can take as holiday.

Op, maybe try cruising somewhere where the kids holidays are different from your own. I believe UK school hols are slightly different from US ones, for example. UK summer school breaks in the UK don't start til the end of July, so you may find you can cruise in June in relative peace and quiet.

Edited by Adayatatime

I run my own business and it costs me twice as much to go on holiday, as not only do I have to pay a cruise fare, I don't earn anything while I am away.

Also, in the UK, there is a limited time frame of sunny weather (yes really!) so everyone can only take a UK summer cruise in a 6 week period - and even then its not guaranteed! And even in business there are limits on the weeks you can take as holiday.

Op, maybe try cruising somewhere where the kids holidays are different from your own. I believe UK school hols are slightly different from US ones, for example. UK summer school breaks in the UK don't start til the end of July, so you may find you can cruise in June in relative peace and quiet.

The main issue with that is obviously the cost of going to Europe. It is unfortunate that for teachers to go on Caribbean cruises, we have to go at a time when all of the kids are tagging along, too. But, that's the nature of the job!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

While I believe teachers are highly unappreciated not sure I believe they should get a discount just for being a teacher. Now before I get flamed let me say I have several teachers in my family. But I also have family members with children in school and they can only cruise in summer months as well. It would be nice if teachers received bonuses based on several factors which would help offset the price of a much deserved vacation. It always amazed me that we value athletes more than teachers. Outside of family members teachers have the most influence on children and are held to a much higher standard. My only advice is to sign up for email specials from your cruise lines of choice. And once on the cruise enjoy.... You will have certainly earned it. :)

I too think that teachers are unappreciated, however where would the discounts end? What about the public employee who works in 100 degree weather fixing potholes in the road or the waste water treatment technician? They work hard and are very unappreciated! It could go on and on.

My wife and MIL are teachers. I have found that many "teacher discounts" are simply promotions designed to boost a company's sales. Since large numbers of teacher only vacation in the summer months there is a target group of people looking to spend their vacation money at that time. Smart marketers offer this group a small discount to lure them into spending that vacation money with them rather than someone else.

Retired now so I can travel whenever. Lucky me! Check out vacations to go website. There is a search for teacher discounts on the left. It may be that the dates will or won't work for you. RCL does give police discounts which we have been able to take advantage of. Thank you for being an educator.

I am also a teacher and always in need of a cruise :) Celebrity does offer a teacher discount, but it's only offered at various times of the year. I wish RC would follow suit!

While I believe teachers are highly unappreciated not sure I believe they should get a discount just for being a teacher.

It's nothing to do with one group of people deserving a discount. It's just a target group that allows RC do some marketing. Same way they offer discounts for people from certain states.

If teachers were given a discount because they can only travel during school breaks, wouldn't the same apply to any family with a school age child who can also only travel during school breaks?

I'm not sure I see the reason why teachers should be given a special discount :confused:

I think educators should get the exact same discount offered the parents of school age children who can only cruise during the peak summer months without pulling them out of school at the risk of several unexcused absences.

Oh, wait...they already do.

Being a teacher is a very honorable profession...my D-I-L is one. As she will quickly point out, every educator knew the work calendar, pay scale, etc. when the chose the profession. It isn't like all those things changed in the last 5 years.

It's nothing to do with one group of people deserving a discount. It's just a target group that allows RC do some marketing. Same way they offer discounts for people from certain states.

However, expecting discounts during peak travel time when the cruise lines have little difficulty filling ships makes little sense.

I teach at an urban charter, we just found out our calendar changed for next year and subsequent years. We lost our spring break and fall break that were both in off peak times, which allowed our students to visit family in various Caribbean and Latin American countries. They also added 8 days to our school year. I now only have the month of July and 1 week in August off after this summer with no additional compensation. It will make cruising, and any vacation, very expensive since those are the peak 5 weeks of travel. So glad I have saved up for two years to travel on the Allure with my parents this summer! A teacher discount would be a wonderful treat, but it is not something I would expect. I guess I will just have to save for many years for my next trip!

Being a teacher is a very honorable profession...my D-I-L is one. As she will quickly point out, every educator knew the work calendar, pay scale, etc. when the chose the profession. It isn't like all those things changed in the last 5 years.

Well said!

Everybody and their brother wants a discount for something!

While I am not a "teacher" I am an assistant in a special education school. I have been for 13 years. So I am full time and have the same schedule. Our breaks have been cut, we have 3 days for Easter, and 2 days for teacher conversation. We can NOT take unpaid leave ( I tryed that one lol), so summer is it . Although I have twice squeezed in a February 5 night by using president's weekend and a personal day or 2. I would love to get a break on price. I pay into the teachers union so I think I should count too :)