Barcelona

Is Barcelona doable on your own (with a good guide book and map) or is a private tour better?

Thank you,

Mary

Certainly! Much better to go at your own pace and see what you want to see.

Is Barcelona doable on your own (with a good guide book and map) or is a private tour better?

Thank you,

Mary

We were in Barcelona last week and used the hop on hop off buses - 27 euros each. Commentary provided on the bus. Bus stop very close to the cruise port. It helps if you plan which places you wish to visit before you go. If you plan to visit the Sagrada Familla, do book the tickets on line to avoid the queues.

Definitely more fun to set your own programme, rather than a tour here.

Have a great time!

PS Secure your belongings, many pickpockets in Barcelona

It is easy to do on your own, but we took an introductory tour from Barcelona Day Tours when we had time prior to a cruise and had luggage. The METRO is good and you can walk to a lot of places. Also, doing Montserrat is doable on your own as well.

It is easy to do on your own, but we took an introductory tour from Barcelona Day Tours when we had time prior to a cruise and had luggage. The METRO is good and you can walk to a lot of places. Also, doing Montserrat is doable on your own as well.

We did the same. We reserved Barcelona Day Tours to pick us up at the airport when we arrived at 8am. Took a 4 hour tour with our luggage secured in the car. When the tour ended, we were dropped off at Hotel Jazz and ventured out on our own.

It's such a vibrant city with incredible architecture and wonderful sites.

If you have the time, a shorter tour or using ho ho buses is a great start and gives you an overview of different neighborhoods, sights etc. From there then you can pick and choose where to spend more time .

For sure get yourself a couple books and prioritize the points you MUST see and go from there planning transp. Just leave enough time to walk thru and enjoy the Las Ramblas and Gothic areas. Great city to experience!

If you decide to visit La Sagrada Familia and I urge you to do so, be sure to secure tix on line before you head over to Barcelona. We walked right in at our pre reserved time while those that didn't make reservations waited on a line that stretched around the corner.

Thank you,

Mary

Very doable on your own, Rick Steve's does a good job in his guide books.

If you decide to visit La Sagrada Familia and I urge you to do so, be sure to secure tix on line before you head over to Barcelona. We walked right in at our pre reserved time while those that didn't make reservations waited on a line that stretched around the corner.

. . and purchase tickets for Park Guell. It used to be free to enter, but since October you need timed tickets. We visited 2 days after they began requiring tickets. It was a nasty rainy day and we waited 45 minutes to get tickets. On a nice day I bet the line is very long.

. . and purchase tickets for Park Guell. It used to be free to enter, but since October you need timed tickets. We visited 2 days after they began requiring tickets. It was a nasty rainy day and we waited 45 minutes to get tickets. On a nice day I bet the line is very long.

Wow! I had no idea. We were there in September,

I know!! We were there on October 28. They began requiring tickets on October 26. :( they only allow 400 people in the Gaudi area at a time. So if you do not buy in advance you may have to wait, even if the line is short. [which ours was not--people may have bought online and you will be out of luck.] The tickets are timed. You must enter within [i think I remember] 30 mins of the time on the ticket. So, it gives you wiggle room.

Just an FYI.

We've been there twice, and found it easy to do on our own.

Bob can you recommend an 'average' place to stay near Las Ramblas?

Thank you to ANYONE that can help with this - we will be there in May or about 4 days -- have done private cruise critic friends tours before but this will be on our own!

Thank you to ANYONE that can help with this - we will be there in May or about 4 days -- have done private cruise critic friends tours before but this will be on our own!

depending on how long you are planning to be there before or after the cruise, check out one of those vacation rental sites. it seems much more affordable to us. that is our plan for our cruise next year.

How long does it take to tour Park Guell? Do you know how to get tickets online?

Hotel Nouvel, Carrer de Santa Anna. It's in a side road just off Las Ramblas at the top end near Placa Cataluna. It's on the edge of the Gothic quarter and is a lovely 3 star hotel for a good price. I've stayed there and it was great. You're right on Las Ramblas and near to shopsd, cafes, transport etc.

We stayed at the Hotel Jazz, about 2 blocks from Playa Cataluna. I think we paid about 135 Euros per night. Loved the location, close to Las Ramblas but not too close. Very clean, staff helpful.

We stayed at the Hotel Jazz, about 2 blocks from Playa Cataluna. I think we paid about 135 Euros per night. Loved the location, close to Las Ramblas but not too close. Very clean, staff helpful.

We have stayed at the Hotel Jazz twice now and think it's an excellent Barcelona suggestion. If the weather is nice, the rooftop pool and lovely lounging area is a wonderful place to relax at the end of the day. Also just 50 yards from a direct airport bus stop.

I know!! We were there on October 28. They began requiring tickets on October 26. :( they only allow 400 people in the Gaudi area at a time. So if you do not buy in advance you may have to wait, even if the line is short. [which ours was not--people may have bought online and you will be out of luck.] The tickets are timed. You must enter within [i think I remember] 30 mins of the time on the ticket. So, it gives you wiggle room.

Just an FYI.

So if I purchased tickets at 3 I can still get up until 3:30?

Be sure to have your cameras with you. The architecture and little buildings in the park by Gaudi are amazing. As you're also up on a hill there are fantastic views over Barcelona. Barcelona and Amsterdam are favourite cities of ours, and living in Britain both are great for weekend breaks on cheap flights that take less than 2 hours.