Happy vs Not Happy with assigned cabins

jakartatom

We are sailing on the Nieuw Amsterday in 12 days. We chose our cabin months ago when we booked. I see lots of people state on these message boards that they are happy with their cabin assignments. Which led me to think; what cabin assignments would not make someone happy? What is a good location vs a bad location? I have no idea if my cabin is a good location.

A bad stateroom is under the noisy area of the kitchen or right across from the engine room shaft that makes your stateroom vibrate and sound like you're on a train.

Every other stateroom we've ever been assigned were the good ones!

It's such a subjective thing. I love to hear anchor and docking noises, so being up front or in the back is not a problem for me. I get light-headed when the seas are rough and the ship is rocking, so up high is not good for me. Also, balconies hold no appeal for me really, so that's another strike for higher decks. I need a window that I can keep open overnight -- strike off promenade deck cabins and forward cabins under the bridge. My favorite location is as low and as forward as possible, and while I prefer port, I'm really not picky about which side of the ship I'm on.

It really is very subjective. I know that my requirements are the same things that make my preferred cabins awful choices for someone else.

It's such a subjective thing. I love to hear anchor and docking noises, so being up front or in the back is not a problem for me. I get light-headed when the seas are rough and the ship is rocking, so up high is not good for me. Also, balconies hold no appeal for me really, so that's another strike for higher decks. I need a window that I can keep open overnight -- strike off promenade deck cabins and forward cabins under the bridge. My favorite location is as low and as forward as possible, and while I prefer port, I'm really not picky about which side of the ship I'm on.

It really is very subjective. I know that my requirements are the same things that make my preferred cabins awful choices for someone else.

What ships have windows you can keep open overnight - I assume you are not referring to balcony doors, as you do not like balconies? Certainly cabins "... as low and as forward as possible..." which are your favorites, would only have portholes.

What ships have windows you can keep open overnight - I assume you are not referring to balcony doors, as you do not like balconies? Certainly cabins "... as low and as forward as possible..." which are your favorites, would only have portholes.
I think the poster was referring to the drapes????

I was sort of short earlier when I said if it's on a ship... but I have to say I've never had a bad cabin. As others here have said, so much is personal. We've been in outside and balcony cabins and enjoyed both. I like to have natural light available, but others swear by inside cabins for better sleep. We don't spend a lot of time in our cabin, mostly for sleep or a little down time reading, so size isn't critical to us. I've found that although we like balconies, we don't spend a whole lot of time on them. Even when we travel with friends, most of our socializing is out and about. I would love to try out a suite, but I'd rather take more trips than pay the difference. We don't have any trouble moving (yet :) ) so near an elevator is not important. And we don't tend to get seasick, so that's not a consideration either. Noisy = not so good.

I don't think there's anything wrong with cruisers who have different needs or preferences, and I fully expect mine to change as I get older. What's important is that you know what will make you happy, and then not let little things keep you from having a great time.

Trish

Sorry, yes, I meant the curtains, not the windows. I actually prefer the first ocean-view cabins with windows instead of portholes.

No worries on the door front. I have had balcony cabins and have never, and would never, leave the doors open. :D

I would never have cabins direct under pool-deck again. Staff removed the sunchairs every evening (you remember - they clean the deck in the late evening or very early morning).

They started putting back the deckchairs around the pool at 5 in the morning - by pushing them or tug them over the deck.

I am not a light sleeper - more the very reverse type - but that noise was loud!

I would prefer a room not nearby the kitchen ventilation. They start cooking very early. I remember a hotelroom over the kitchen - at six in the morning I had crazy dreams about food - when I awake I recognize that the kitchen startet to make scrambled eggs and pancakes and you smell it in the room....

Wendy

We are sailing on the Nieuw Amsterday in 12 days. We chose our cabin months ago when we booked. I see lots of people state on these message boards that they are happy with their cabin assignments. Which led me to think; what cabin assignments would not make someone happy? What is a good location vs a bad location? I have no idea if my cabin is a good location.

What cabin did you choose?

We like high up.

we did have an under the galley room and the noise stopped at 11 pm ad started with rolling carts at 3 a.m. If you opt for guarantee, you have no control of the selection. If you are sailing on one of the Vistas and have been on another of them, you can rely on your previous experience. If you are a smart person though, you would join CC and ask the intelligent sailors here about there experiences.

Now, though I am picking rooms near elevators and closer to dining as these new ships are a long walk. I guess that is good for exercise but on the other hand I reward myself with crème brulee!!!;)

I agree with any cabin on a ship is a good one! But we always choose ours to be a low as possible in the middle, we try for the 2nd to the lowest deck to lessen the mystery noises coming from the workings of the ship. We like away from the elevator so you don't hear the noise from it. That being said on our last cruise we picked what we thought was a good cabin. But the neighbors!!!! There was a family traveling in 3 cabins, one across the hall, one next door, and one on the other side of that one. The slamming of the cabin doors went on almost 24-7. The ship was very full so we could not move without paying a substantial premium. So you never really know. But any cruise is a good one in our opinion!

We don't like to book too close to the elevators - it can be noisy. We avoid the front and rear of the ships also - you can really start to notice how long a ship is when you have to walk it many times a day. On one ship, we were across from a Cabin Steward's utility room - that was noisy also.

Getting a cabin under a noisy area would bother me, but that is a risk I take with booking a guarantee. Getting a cabin VERY far forward would cause me concern because I'm afraid it might exacerbate my mal de d'. Same thing, though -- a risk I take by booking guarantees. Have had several experiences with cabins near elevators, and honestly didn't have any noise problems.

I agree that most any cabin is good if it’s on a ship. Just look at the deck plans and try to select a spot under other cabins. (Not under dining room, kitchen, or pool.)

If given the choice, I prefer Port side--simply because that’s where we usually seem to end up, and it’s easier for us to remember which way to turn when we exit the elevator or stairs!