Royal May Charge for Some Entertainment on Quantum

Been on 26 RCI cruises and haven't saw a comedy show I'd be willing to pay for.

That is too bad I am sorry you do not enjoy your comedy shows. I know on the Allure and the oasis they change comedians each week. I admit some of them are not good but id say 85% of the time they are good

That is too bad I am sorry you do not enjoy your comedy shows. I know on the Allure and the oasis they change comedians each week. I admit some of them are not good but id say 85% of the time they are good

Didn't say I don't enjoy them (now jugglers ??). But would I pay an extra to see any of the comedians? Don't think so and that includes Comedy Live on Oasis and Allure.

The problem is that as the size of ships has gone up so has the show quality. That means more people paying in the same amount resulting in bigger show budgets. This is where they may have finally hit a problem. They are trying to out do Oasis with the capacity and thus budget of a Freedom class ship.

Right. We've all noticed how aggressively the Quantum Class ships are priced, and I'm sure that's part of the reason. Not everyone will agree with this but I'm fine with that, assuming the product delivers as expected.

We have lots of options. I'm spending significantly less for my upcoming NCL cruise than I usually spend on Royal. I also have the option of spending significantly less for a Carnival cruise, a line I've sailed a lot. If RCI can successfully develop and present a premium product, like the Oasis Class, I'm willing to pay for it. Whether Quantum Class will be that remains to be seen, especially given the Dynamic Dining issues. What I'm not going to so is pay top dollar and THEN pay a la carte for entertainment.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by Dave85

At this point I don't think the issue will be with Quantum. Too close to rolling it out and entertainment reservations already made etc. Unless it's for a venue/show that is yet to be posted. Not saying it won't be added on later. But more may come out in the hangout discussion Wednesday.

There are no upcharges for any entertainment on Oasis. You would be making a big mistake not to enjoy what is being offered free of charge. Millions have paid good money to see Hairspray, Ice Shows with professional skaters, a Circ de Soleil style water show in the Aqua Theater, and comedians in the Comedy Club that have been on tv and do the club circuit.

The entertainment is good enough that they request that you make reservations so that you are assured a seat. People who don't bother are seated after those with reservations on an as available basis. Your reservation is coded into your Seapass so there are no tickets to keep track of.

Why would you think that there is a charge for anything?

....I understand that.... My wife and I already have reservations for various activities on the Oasis as it is for later this month. But with that said, we're there to be on the ship and enjoy life out on the water. If I wanted to see shows, I'd go to NYC or Vegas. I'm practically getting dragged to see Oasis of Dreams as it is, and if they charged us to see it, there's absolutely no way we'd go. There are far, far too many things to do on a cruise ship nowadays than to pay to see a show that's really just a 2nd rate version of its Broadway counterpart. I'm not saying they're bad, but you will be hard pressed to see me at one of those shows as it is, even when they're free (well, free so much as you don't pay for it on the ship... the cost is already subsidized in your initial booking)

....I understand that.... My wife and I already have reservations for various activities on the Oasis as it is for later this month. But with that said, we're there to be on the ship and enjoy life out on the water. If I wanted to see shows, I'd go to NYC or Vegas. I'm practically getting dragged to see Oasis of Dreams as it is, and if they charged us to see it, there's absolutely no way we'd go. There are far, far too many things to do on a cruise ship nowadays than to pay to see a show that's really just a 2nd rate version of its Broadway counterpart. I'm not saying they're bad, but you will be hard pressed to see me at one of those shows as it is, even when they're free (well, free so much as you don't pay for it on the ship... the cost is already subsidized in your initial booking)

I just spent 36 days on Rhapsody and did not go to a single show!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed...

NCL kills you with the charges...I can not see paying almost $4000 for a cruise then paying for dinners and entertainment.

I have never once been killed by charges on NCL.. They do have specialty restaurants as they all do and I found that theirs are much cheaper than others.

The only show they charge for is a Cirque Show in a tent. The entertainment otherwise is awesome and free, the MDR food is very good and free… What is different about NCL? Celebrity just added 2 new restaurants to their M class ships and the charger are 50.00 and up, except Bistro at 5 which is basically panini's, not sure what they charge. NCL Italian 15.00 Asian 15.00 French 25.00 and Cagneys stake house is 30.00.. Take them or leave them and eat in the MDR for free and then go to a free show...

Right. We've all noticed how aggressively the Quantum Class ships are priced, and I'm sure that's part of the reason. Not everyone will agree with this but I'm fine with that, assuming the product delivers as expected.

We have lots of options. I'm spending significantly less for my upcoming NCL cruise than I usually spend on Royal. I also have the option of spending significantly less for a Carnival cruise, a line I've sailed a lot. If RCI can successfully develop and present a premium product, like the Oasis Class, I'm willing to pay for it. Whether Quantum Class will be that remains to be seen, especially given the Dynamic Dining issues. What I'm not going to so is pay top dollar and THEN pay a la carte for entertainment.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

From my standpoint, my 11 nite Quantum cruise in February will cost me about the same as a 7 niter out of Florida, when one considers no airfare, taxis, insurance and higher balcony discount and OBC. Plus I'm getting free gratuities and specialty dinner for 2 from my TA. I have to agree that the DD issues is a major headache and finally after a month of support from RCl dining my restaurants are all set. Now comes the entertainment.

According to Royal Caribbean PR on twitter all entertainment on Quantum will be included in the price.

On today's Google Chat, they mentioned that they were discussing adding some sort of paid entertainment option on these ships. We all know what that means.. the answer is "Yes", there will be some sort of upcharge for a specialty type show.

I can see them charging for special guest like they did with Taylor swift.

We were on the early Allure cruise when Taylor Swift performed. There was NO fee or up charge for that performance. Majority of ticketholders with those who won tickets through a radio station. The other tickets were given to Diamond plus/ pinacle cruisers. The few remaining tickets were given away during on-board contests and one or two charity auctions. The performance was at the aqua theater so those who were staying in Boardwalk balconies were also able to see the performance.

M

From reading the Carnival boards, it looks like they charge 20.00 for their Live Concerts. $20.00 for a first come first serve seats and $100.00 for VIP seating in the first three rows with a meet and greet with the performer.

It also looks like they are having a hard time selling these shows and are giving away a lot of tickets including VIP tickets on board.

Entertainment on a cruise is a low priority for us. No way we'll EVER pay to see a show on a ship.

Agree! On our last cruise, we only peeked in on one of the shows and left 10 minutes into it. We're not that into shows anyway, so we won't ever pay extra!

20 years ago when we first cruised soft drinks in the main dining room, people complained but paid for it anyway. Then they introduced specialty dining, people complained but paid for it anyway. When they introduce for fee entertainment people will complain but still pay. And so it will continue, the cruise limes will continue to add extra fees until people stand up and refuse to pay them.

Bob

It will be a very sad day when we have to start paying for entertainment on a cruise ship. Included entertainment is one of the biggest fundementals of going on a cruise vs. land based vacations. It would be absolutely ridiculous, at least on RCI.

• 2 weeks later...
They state that it is in a secondary venue. I have been looking at the placement of the Diamond 'Club' and the Music Hall and thinking that they could be thinking to do some events where Diamonds and above could move into the Music Hall, while it might require reservations for others or something like this. This would be an added enhancement for the upper tiers of their loyalty program.

Maybe it is like the speakeasy party on the Allure. That covers alcohol, but it is a 'show' as well. They have cast members from Chicago working the room there.

If they do something like that, I can see that being upcharge entertainment.

We were on the early Allure cruise when Taylor Swift performed. There was NO fee or up charge for that performance. Majority of ticketholders with those who won tickets through a radio station. The other tickets were given to Diamond plus/ pinacle cruisers. The few remaining tickets were given away during on-board contests and one or two charity auctions. The performance was at the aqua theater so those who were staying in Boardwalk balconies were also able to see the performance.

M

We were on that cruise too! Our daughter, who was three at the time, had the opportunity to go as well (all of the children in the kids program were invited to go see Taylor perform, but she opted to not go). We sat in the theater and watched the show on the screen. It's difficult to say for sure, but I think that there are a lot of people that would have paid to see a big name entertainer like Taylor Swift, for an up-charge.

I can't imagine any entertainment onboard a cruise ship, other than a concert, that I would pay the premium for.