Please bring back evening movies on M class ships

newmommy2

Hi everyone,

I was reading another thread about the Summit and someone mentioned that evening movies in the conference facilities have been cancelled. That's so disappointing for us movie lovers who are not big production show fans!

I have heard that Celebrity reads these boards, so I am hopeful they will hear my plea and bring them back ASAP, I am on the June 29 cruise to Bermuda and I was looking forward to some mommy time watching movies at night.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I was reading another thread about the Summit and someone mentioned that evening movies in the conference facilities have been cancelled. That's so disappointing for us movie lovers who are not big production show fans!

I have heard that Celebrity reads these boards, so I am hopeful they will hear my plea and bring them back ASAP, I am on the June 29 cruise to Bermuda and I was looking forward to some mommy time watching movies at night.

Thanks!

Cannot understand why movies are not used more by cruise lines as a group entertainment option. It's surely a lot cheaper than a stage production and they should be able to get a similar deal to airlines for showing up to date pictures. There are also the also the potential additional f&b sales. Popcorn, premium ice cream, sweets and snacks. The outdoor screens do not seem to be that popular in the daytime as they can be disturbing for those looking to sunbathe but using some of the indoor facilities that stay pretty empty during the day even on sea days would seem a cost efficient option if they could get decent size screens installed. And in the evening I am sure there would be a significant audience if the movies were of the right quality and currency. They could also provide big screen presentations of major sporting events like the World Cup or the Olympics, the Super Bowl etc etc. those would get the beer sales flowing.

I know that celebrity have a fairly good in cabin movie service but it's not comparable with watching on a big screen and maybe in 3D?

Maybe it's more RCCL than Celebrity but someone will be the first to install an IMAX 3d theatre, got to be better than that adapted piece of window cleaning equipment that they just installed on the new RCCL ships.

Gets my vote!

Edited by scifimonkey

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

I agree, we enjoy those!

I agree, OP! I loved the little movie theater on the Millennium. Whenever I think of the movie I saw there it brings back warm fuzzy feelings of my first Celebrity cruise experience. I contrast that with watching in-room movies on our most recent cruises. Those were watched in bits and pieces when we happened to be in the cabin for a while. Making an effort to go to the theater and committing to that movie was an event - like a date night. In-room movies are like being in front of the tv at home when there are just too many distractions to really enjoy a movie.

Edited by thebutlerdidit

Would like to see movies offered on port days as an option for those who choose to say onboard. Could use the Theater on M Class ships if it is available. Celebrity Central could be used on S Class ships.

Guess why they got rid of the movies? They don't make money, and those going to the movies aren't spending money. That reason is why the TV offerings in cabin are terrible.

The free movies on the TV On Demand in your room were good new movies. Plus you could pause them. Go to a event and come back and finish watching the movie. Richard

Yes, just like the DVR at home. It just doesn't feel special in any way.

Yes, the big screen makes the movie much more pleasurable.

Recently on a DCL Panama Canal cruise I had the pleasure of seeing one of my favorite classics To Kill a Mockingbird.

On the big screen. It was so special. And it makes me wonder why they don't show more classic movies on cruises.

Edited by Muushka

We would love that. Would would like to see a bar server come in before the movie and take drink orders, then pause the movie for, say, 15 minutes intermission for another round of drinks, restroom breaks, maybe time to grab a cookie at Cafe al Bacio, and come back to see the end. We would love Classic Movies much more than recent ones.

The free movies on the TV On Demand in your room were good new movies. Plus you could pause them. Go to a event and come back and finish watching the movie. Richard

Just off the Summit today and we were in one of the Sweet 16's (2C) verandah and we did not have on demand free movies - only 3 movies that changed daily on channel 23 or 25. They did however offer pay movies but no free on demand. Missed having it as we too like having the option to start, stop, pause a movie at will. I wondered if CC, AQ or Suites still have free on demand on M-class as we did have it while in AQ on a S-class ship last February?

Just off the Summit and there were no free on demand movies on the tv in the room. They had a single movie channel which showed a variety of movies (3 a day). The problem is you had to check when they started, you can't pause them and if you missed the end, most of them weren't replayed. They still offered the pay for view for $12.95 per movie and had a selection of 51 movies there (though not really because many of the movies were offered in multiple languages so my guess would be there was more like 30 movies offered for an additional fee).

My dad and I managed to catch 1 free tv movie in it's entirety while my mother had an afternoon nap. I love movies on vacation and I felt that Celebrity had a very poor showing in that area.

In addition to the in room movie channel, on 2 of our port days they showed a movie in the main theatre. It was only played once during that day. We caught "saving Mr Banks" because it was at 3pm but "Gravity" started at 1pm and we missed it.

I know many people don't cruise for movies but I do enjoy the freedom to sit down and watch them uninterrupted and without distraction (which never happens at home). I felt that Celebrity did a poor job in this area compared to many other lines.

I sailed on the Century in February which actually has a movie theater. We enjoyed several movies in the theater. I also recall watching The King's Speech in Celebrity Central (probably on the Eclipse). So count me as one who would enjoy more movies!

Curious, roughly how many people were in the theater with you watching the movies on each ship?

Well that's another reason for us not to sail on M class! DH and I watched most of the free on demand movies on our TA--when they start with the time changes we are often up until 2-3 AM and thank goodness for the movies!

This is something I think X needs to work on . Consitency. I believe in letting each ship have a unique personality, but some core things should be consistent, like TV programming, internet access, cellphone service availability (why do 2 ships not use Celular at sea), the map showing progress. M class and S class are far apart in these things, and seems such a simple thing to make them all core consistent things. But let public space deco' be unique, and activities unique, but make the hotel side very consistent, like Marriott hotels and other brands do.

I know, why go on a cruise to watch a movie, right? We enjoy the movies. Love the on demand (not the pay kind) on the S class. We don't need to be out and about all the time. We get enough sun living in S Florida that we don't need to make the most of my sea days. We've never sat at the pool. What we don't get to so at home is being able to relax and enjoy a movie, maybe having room service :).

We would go to a movie and have on the M class. Something about a big screen makes it so much better. Just recently took a last minute Carnival cruise and they had the large screen at the pool (obnoxious during the day :). But every night they had 2 movies, usually pretty new releases. The place was packed. They also give out free popcorn which makes it kind of neat.

enjoy

Duane

On infinity I was told that one of the new confrencee rooms that replaced the theatre can be setup as a movie theatre. It was done a couple of times in march. The can not do it if there are alot of groups onboard that have booked the rooms. They can also show a movie in the Celebrity theatre after the last show. they did that with Evita an a documentary on the Panama Canal. Evita also showed on Embarkation Day. as the Oscars were on the same day there was no show scheduled to allow the oscars to be shown on the big screen. they should bring moves back as people wanted to see them on sea days

Curious, roughly how many people were in the theater with you watching the movies on each ship?

Celebrity Central was full to the rim. Absolutely no idea how many seats are in there.

On the Century, the number of people showing up depended on the movie. It was generally a good crowd. Again, I have no idea how many seats are in the theater.

Yes. Movies in CCentral would be fantastic.

How appropriate then to have Celebrity offering celebrities in the Movies?

Movies make great employees.(think in-door recess staff).

No wages. No overtime.

You don't have to feed them.

Results are consistent.

Easy to create a 'theme' offering..musicals..era..comedy

How about a 'I Love Lucy' marathon?:D

After 25 years of retail, happy customers/cruisers forget about the petty picky things.

Just too much laughing and too much popcorn.

A

I've love to see movies back on the cruise ships. Especially the cruised with lots of sea days. Older movies appropriate to the locations would be very cool. Pirate movies for the Caribbean, Godzilla movies for Tokyo, North to Alaska for the obvious.

On infinity I was told that one of the new confrencee rooms that replaced the theatre can be setup as a movie theatre. It was done a couple of times in march. The can not do it if there are alot of groups onboard that have booked the rooms. They can also show a movie in the Celebrity theatre after the last show. they did that with Evita an a documentary on the Panama Canal. Evita also showed on Embarkation Day. as the Oscars were on the same day there was no show scheduled to allow the oscars to be shown on the big screen. they should bring moves back as people wanted to see them on sea days

Was on the Celebrity Infinity for 24 days recently and three days they showed recent movies in the Celebrity Theatre. Seems all the other days they needed the theatre for rehearsals for the production shows or for other entertainment. There was not enough to do on all the sea days (it was a TA) and many people were complaining about the lack of activities. Hardly any trivia or name that tune or organized bridge etc.

we mostly go on princess cruises and the movies under the stars are usually very well attended….I don't know if they are getting a lot of bar service, but it costs so little for them to put on and is very well received

on our alaska cruise last year it was quite cold, but everyone was bundled up and they handed out little blankets…..the place was packed every night