Foot attire and booking by yourself

webetraveling

Hi All,

We are heading on a Rhine Cruise in Nov. 2014. The Mrs. somewhere read that wearing "white" sneakers signaled you are a tourist and not to wear them during the walks,has anyone ever heard of this?

Myself, since it will be Nov. and cooler I am thinking a lightweight hiking boot.

Onto the second part, since this is our first cruise we booked thru viking, got a much better airfare from what I have observed posted here on the board.

Would like to hear from those of you who book your own way and how it compares and yes I will also search on the board here for past posts too.

This is all new to us, so THANK YOU all for helping.

Don't worry about white sneakers in Europe. Lots of different shoes everywhere including white. Many Germans also like very comfortable ECCO walking sandals in warm weather. These sandals are available in the US but are cheaper in Germany. However, November may be a bit too cool for them. A hiking boot may be overdoing it, unless you also climb mountains. ... Wear whatever feel most comfortable.

We did not wear white sneakers in Buenos Aires where the locals stick to "city attire". Maybe that's where your wife got the idea from.

Edited by Floridiana

I agree, wear what is comfortable to you. You are a tourist, everyone knows you're a tourist so no problem there. If you want to wear white sneakers you won't be alone.

As to your air fare question, we're doing a river cruise with Viking in December, our 4th with them. On 2 trips we used their custom air option, the other two we booked our own air. We're very particular about routing, choosing to make as few, if any, stops possible so this works for us.

Enjoy your river cruise, you might get hooked!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Many (not all, but many) Europeans wear fancier shoes than we (Americans) do. We used to wear sneakers / trainers most of the time but frankly got sick of packing multiple pairs of shoes, so I started looking for something that would be good enough for wearing out to dinner, but comfortable enough to walk around in all day. I got a pair of Skechers a few months ago, and I was initially skeptical, but now I really like them.

They look dressy enough to pass as decent shoes, but have an inconspicuous gum sole that has great traction and enough padding to wear all day, walk on cobblestones, and even some light hiking on trails. Even if they last only another trip or two, it was a great investment of $40, because it's the only pair of shoes I need to bring for the whole trip. So I have room in the suitcase for an extra bottle of wine on the way back... :D

JP%2520Shoes.jpg

And before you think I'm making up my observation about Europeans wearing their fancy shoes everywhere, this is what we saw in Pompeii a few years ago, while we were slumming around in our sneakers:

DSC_1380.JPG

However, you will not be asked to leave if you wear sneakers!

Edited by jpalbny

I would only wear what's comfortable for me. I have foot issues so I think about my comfort and not what fashion police might think. It's important to remember that you will be walking on cobblestones. On our cruise, we had an elderly woman that wore heels everyday and you could tell she was having issues walking on them especially on the downhill runs.

Here's a vote for light hiking shoes. (Gone are the days when hiking boots were those clunky, heavy lace up things.) I have two,pairs of Merrill light trail shoes. One or the other has traveled everywhere with me and they are the most comfortable footwear I own. In fact, they are lighter and more attractive than my athletic shoes.

I agree with other posters, wear what is comfortable and don't worry about looking like a tourist.

As far as airfare, we always book our own. I find the prices comparable, but like to be in complete control of my flight schedules and seating.

Edited by sippican

I echo the advice of others: wear what you want, what is comfortable and what is safe. Make sure they are well broken in before you depart!

Yes, there was a discussion by some that wearing white sneakers brands you as a tourist, but I have a honking big camera and use a backpack and pretty much everything about me screams "North American tourist!"

I pack a pair of black ballet/flat shoes and those are my dinner shoes and Mr Wonderful usually just wears his sneakers although sometimes packs a pair of deck shoes.

Thanks everyone for responding to my questions. Really looking forward to the trip down the Rhine in Nov.

Will also look at booking my own way if we decide to do this again. For our first time just thought it was easier to let Viking take care of everything.

Agree about shoes,but I ALWAYS use a TA,They give better prices and add perks too.Even give other incentives ,if you ask.Take care of all the details and no downside.Have done both ways and can even switch to one if you haven t made final deposit.

Shoes ,I agree, wear what s comfortable.Really, no one cares.

I also check both ways re.airfare.Like to do that on my own.Do read the threads under Airfare section re.cruise airfare.Will learn a LOT.After a few cruise ones, that were awful, now pick whats best for me.

I also vote for comfort, am fond of Ecco brand shoes but that's just me!

In winter I just personally would not wear white :)

Enjoy your cruise and who cares what the "shoe police" have to say!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I don't wear white sneakers at home so I'm certainly not going to wear them when I travel. That's *my* personal style choice. I wear gym shoes in the gym - but even then, I avoid white;)

I have other shoes that are VERY comfortable for miles of walking, and - because I do a lot of winter travel - waterproof!

My husband and I have both owned Merrell goretex shoes & hiking boots, and this year got some Haglofs goretex walking shoes. Very comfortable, great soles, and waterproof. Perfect for our November & December trips to areas that might be rainy! (we have lighter weight waterproof options for warm/rainy weather - or, summer at home in NC:p)

I've also had decent luck using a silicone waterproof spray on leather shoes & boots, to keep them at least somewhat dryer than they would be otherwise....

(I book my own airfare because I want the miles and I want control of my itinerary....)

Edited by Hoyaheel

My wife and I were watching a Viking commercial, showing a Viking ship sailing down the river by itself. Her remark was, "where are all the other ships?". I think Viking now has more ships afloat than all other river cruise lines combined.

Edited by Talisker92

I don't wear white sneakers at home so I'm certainly not going to wear them when I travel. That's *my* personal style choice. I wear gym shoes in the gym - but even then, I avoid white;)

I have other shoes that are VERY comfortable for miles of walking, and - because I do a lot of winter travel - waterproof!

Totally agree!

I have Merrell clogs that are both cute and comfy - and I personally require my footwear to be both. :)

I also have Cole Haan with Nike Air walking shoes that are very comfortable, Ecco walking shoes and short boots (Goretex), Sorel winter boots. I pack according to weather and always pack two pair to switch off.

I book my own flights as we fly Premium Economy and have not found that to be an option offered. We also book our own hotels and transfers and in many cases, a private guide. All personal choice.

I have a wonderful pair of Keen scandals that I wear with both shorts and long pants. They are comfortable and excellent for walking in. I've hiked mountain trails, waded streams, and booked around cobbled stoned streets in them. The straps are leather, so they look fairly sharp. Easy slide on and off for airplane travel. They leave room in the suitcase for a nice pair of dressier shoes to wear to dinner or to other occasions.