Celebrity Summit Cough

Txoko

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

4 of us just returned on June 8 from Bermuda with a hacking cough.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Hope you feel better soon!

Sorry that you're not well.

When I read the thread title, I expected you to be talking about the "other" Solstice cough. That's the one you use when someone asks what you paid for your cabin and you'd had a terrific discount. :)

Got my cough along with half of the other passengers on the Equinox ...must be something going around for this time of the year.

It seems that I'm never sick except when I return from a cruise. I remember being on the MSC Divina last year and while waiting to disembark in the theater, it sounded like a bunch of seals...people coughing all over the place.

Took me about 2 weeks to get rid of cold.

I'm going to be even more conscientious of trying to avoid germs on future cruises for sure!

So sorry to hear the OP came home sick. Not a good way to end a cruise.

This happened to me on the Century about 2 or 3 years ago.

On the last morning I woke up with a terrible cough and started to feel achy and feverish. By the time we arrived at the airport I could barely stand up.

Now I certainly don't know if this was the case but a physician I know said it sounded like Legionnaires disease or most likely what's called Pontiac fever, a milder form of the same bacteria which usually clears up on it's own.

It affects your lungs. It's spread through the air and not from person to person.

The Urgent Care doc prescribed antibiotics. But it took a good 2 weeks before I was 100% again.

Hope Txoko and the other 3 cruisers are feeling better soon.

All 4 of us were sick the day after coming home from recent Summit cruise. Actually, the same thing happened after 2 previous cruises.

Not the cruise line’s fault of course as germs are germs. Trouble is, that people don’t care. If someone is sick with a cold or cough, they just GOTTA go to the MDR or buffet instead of ordering to the room. They just GOTTA go to the show at night to see some amateur sing Sweet Caroline -Bah-Bah-Bah-Good-Times-Never-Seemed-So-Good.

Until about 3 years ago, if I got sick on vacation I actually stayed in the room be it hotel or cruise.

Not anymore. If it’s ok for people to be sick and be out and about, oh well I’ve taken the hint and would not hesitate next time.

I hope that changes one day. But I doubt it.

I find it amusing that the guests fill out a form upon registration asking them if they have been ill recently. People aren't truthful as I have witnessed people who appear to have horrible colds board. What good is a form if people aren't honest? It should be discontinued.

Unfortunately, this exposes everyone to the possibility of getting ill. My DH and I try not to touch the railings and use hand sanitizer and wash as much as possible- and avoid buffets as the serving utensils are handled by so many (or try to be first on line). If people have hacking coughs in the theatre, the plane or on a bus tour, you are stuck and vulnerable! Hope for a good immune system!

I find it amusing that the guests fill out a form upon registration asking them if they have been ill recently. People aren't truthful .....................

Our last Solstice trip was NZ to Oz. We'd flown in two days earlier and had experienced the usual dry throat/tickle as a consequence of 24 hours breathing stale air. So when asked at the desk, we mentioned it and said all okay.

That was the end of priority boarding. After 25 minutes waiting in the naughty corner for the ship's nurse to turn up and take our temperatures, she appeared with all the happy demeanour of a grizzly bear awakened prematurely from winter slumber.

She snatched the forms, signed them, turned on her heel and (presumably) returned to her cave to wait for spring. No thermometer, no caring hand on the forehead, just a thoroughly uninspiring welcome to the ship. Needless to say, I'll make a more careful assessment of any transient symptoms next time.

Our last Solstice trip was NZ to Oz. We'd flown in two days earlier and had experienced the usual dry throat/tickle as a consequence of 24 hours breathing stale air. So when asked at the desk, we mentioned it and said all okay.

That was the end of priority boarding. After 25 minutes waiting in the naughty corner for the ship's nurse to turn up and take our temperatures, she appeared with all the happy demeanour of a grizzly bear awakened prematurely from winter slumber.

She snatched the forms, signed them, turned on her heel and (presumably) returned to her cave to wait for spring. No thermometer, no caring hand on the forehead, just a thoroughly uninspiring welcome to the ship. Needless to say, I'll make a more careful assessment of any transient symptoms next time.

Sorry, but most of your post is hilarious!!!

Cruise Cough (Google It) can be caused by the air con drying out your nasal passages and therefore making you more susceptable to pick up an infection (especially when mixing with a large number of people, many of whom may have bugs).

I had it on Eclipse last year. This time round I brought a saline nasal spray and used it twice a day. No cough. Others suggest wetting a towel and hanging up in the cabin overnight to humidify the air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cruise Cough (Google It) can be caused by the air con drying out your nasal passages and therefore making you more susceptable to pick up an infection (especially when mixing with a large number of people, many of whom may have bugs).

I had it on Eclipse last year. This time round I brought a saline nasal spray and used it twice a day. No cough. Others suggest wetting a towel and hanging up in the cabin overnight to humidify the air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some good advice, I like the nasal spray option as it certainly has helped me in the past, along with practicing really strict hygiene habits around the ship.:D

I left New York last week for Southern Florida with a head cold. I returned to New York in perfect health. How was the cruise?

We were on the summit with you 1st to the 8th. No cough for us, but we did notice quit a few people on board sneezing and coughing. Not sure if they came on board like that or got it mid voyage.

We would trade you though - for us we were pretty sea sick that monday and tuesday. monday the boat was rocking back and forth pretty good most of the day.

Even now two days off the boat I feel the room moving now and then. Not a great feeling at all :D That and we hated going back to a normal every day life. Somebody has to turn down our beds and put little chocolates on them every night! ( I did for my better half sunday and monday night - stole some extra chocolates off the boat just so she could smile)

Edited by forceten

We were on the summit with you 1st to the 8th. No cough for us, but we did notice quit a few people on board sneezing and coughing. Not sure if they came on board like that or got it mid voyage.

We would trade you though - for us we were pretty sea sick that monday and tuesday. monday the boat was rocking back and forth pretty good most of the day.

Even now two days off the boat I feel the room moving now and then. Not a great feeling at all :D That and we hated going back to mornal every day life. Somebody has to turn down our beds and put little chocolates on them every night! ( I did for my better half sunday and monday night - stole some extra chocolates off the boat just so she could smile)

Awww...that is so sweet!!!:)

Edited by 20pluscruises

Very interesting thread. After picking up a respiratory infection during several =X= cruises, I'm beginning to wonder how common this is.

We're just back from two cruises, the TA on the Infinity from Miami to Harwich and the Baltics on the Constellation. No problems on the Infinity. However, during the latter part of the Baltics cruise, DH and I both felt that familiar tickle in our throats which soon developed into full-blown respiratory infections. Two weeks later, despite daily doses of guaifenisen, we're still hacking like seals. Need to say that we're not especially susceptible to respiratory problems in general, but it seems almost every time we sail with =X= we pick up a nasty bug. We're so careful about touching surfaces around the ship. For example, we touch the elevator buttons with a knuckle instead of a fingertip. We wash our hands thoroughly every single time we get back to our cabin and at other times during the day. Here's a summary of our experience:

2012 Solstice Mediterranean Cruise: It struck in Venice. Several sleepless nights due to cough. Stopped in a pharmacy, and by pantomime (our Italian is rudimentary), communicated our symptoms to the pharmacist who prescribed a cough syrup, which helped. Cough lasted about six weeks after the cruise.

2013 B2B2B Sydney to Seattle: I had a cold and cough on all three segments, DH was spared. I hacked for about six weeks after disembarking in Seattle.

2014: Reported above

I'm getting to the point that I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to cruise when one or both of us is almost sure to get sick. Our recent trip home from Amsterdam to San Francisco was 30 uncomfortable hours, coughing all the way. On the other hand, both cruises were fantastic....

Betsy

Very interesting thread. After picking up a respiratory infection during several =X= cruises, I'm beginning to wonder how common this is.

We're just back from two cruises, the TA on the Infinity from Miami to Harwich and the Baltics on the Constellation. No problems on the Infinity. However, during the latter part of the Baltics cruise, DH and I both felt that familiar tickle in our throats which soon developed into full-blown respiratory infections. Two weeks later, despite daily doses of guaifenisen, we're still hacking like seals. Need to say that we're not especially susceptible to respiratory problems in general, but it seems almost every time we sail with =X= we pick up a nasty bug. We're so careful about touching surfaces around the ship. For example, we touch the elevator buttons with a knuckle instead of a fingertip. We wash our hands thoroughly every single time we get back to our cabin and at other times during the day. Here's a summary of our experience:

2012 Solstice Mediterranean Cruise: It struck in Venice. Several sleepless nights due to cough. Stopped in a pharmacy, and by pantomime (our Italian is rudimentary), communicated our symptoms to the pharmacist who prescribed a cough syrup, which helped. Cough lasted about six weeks after the cruise.

2013 B2B2B Sydney to Seattle: I had a cold and cough on all three segments, DH was spared. I hacked for about six weeks after disembarking in Seattle.

2014: Reported above

I'm getting to the point that I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to cruise when one or both of us is almost sure to get sick. Our recent trip home from Amsterdam to San Francisco was 30 uncomfortable hours, coughing all the way. On the other hand, both cruises were fantastic....

Betsy

While I am not a physician, I would probably "assume" that you could have been infected by somebody on an airplane- the air recirculates and it is easy to catch a bug. The incubation period could be a couple of weeks.

My DH and or I, sometimes get sick, even if a land vacation and I attribute that to the airplane. Do not give up cruising!

Edited by Cruise a holic

Thanks, Cruise a holic. It definitely could be caused by the recirculating air of the plane, but there doesn't seem to be a definite correlation. For example, we flew to from SFO to MIA to board the Infinity and were symptom-free on that cruise. We didn't fly again before we boarded the Constellation about nine days after leaving the Infinity. The symptoms started about 10 days into the Baltics cruise. Not planning at this point to give up cruising!

Betsy