Clothes that shriek TOURIST!

ekkc10753

As much as I admire our wonderful Canadian neighbors I would never try to pass myself off as something that I'm not. I am an American. It seems a little wimpy to me :-) to pretend otherwise to feel safe in this crazy world.

Hmmm! Don't you mean you are from the United States of America? According to all my Dictionary's, Canadian's are also American's

From Miriam Webster Dictionary (Full Definition of AMERICAN)

1: an American Indian of North America or South America

2: a native or inhabitant of North America or South America

3: a citizen of the United States

adjective (from Dictionary.com)

1. of or pertaining to the United States of America or its inhabitants: an American citizen.

2. of or pertaining to North or South America; of the Western Hemisphere: the American continents.

3. of or pertaining to the aboriginal Indians of North and South America, usually excluding the Eskimos, regarded as being of Asian ancestry and marked generally by reddish to brownish skin, black hair, dark eyes, and prominent cheekbones.

P.S. IMO you are right it is a little wimpy, but if you are in a country where many do not like American's IMO it's important to protect yourself & blend in.. In my job, I've had to travel to some areas of the world where we were not liked & was always told to try not to stand out..

/B]

Edited by serendipity1499

Hmmm! Don't you mean you are from the United States of America? According to all my Dictionary's, Canadian's are also American's

1. of or pertaining to the United States of America or its inhabitants: an American citizen.

2. of or pertaining to North or South America; of the Western Hemisphere: the American continents.

3. of or pertaining to the aboriginal Indians of North and South America, usually excluding the Eskimos, regarded as being of Asian ancestry and marked generally by reddish to brownish skin, black hair, dark eyes, and prominent cheekbones. [/b]

True, true, to be more precise, a citizen of the United States. But when I travel most people call me an American:-)

True, true, to be more precise, a citizen of the United States. But when I travel most people call me an American:-)

Indeed. No one is going around calling themselves "United Statians." People from the U.S. are called "Americans." People from Canada are called "Canadians."

3. of or pertaining to the aboriginal Indians of North and South America, usually excluding the Eskimos, regarded as being of Asian ancestry and marked generally by reddish to brownish skin, black hair, dark eyes, and prominent cheekbones.

P.S. IMO you are right it is a little wimpy, but if you are in a country where many do not like American's IMO it's important to protect yourself & blend in.. In my job, I've had to travel to some areas of the world where we were not liked & was always told to try not to stand out..

/B][/size]

But the USA is the only country with America in its name. Maybe that's why it's ok to call us Americans.

As much as I admire our wonderful Canadian neighbors I would never try to pass myself off as something that I'm not. I am an American. It seems a little wimpy to me :-) to pretend otherwise to feel safe in this crazy world.

Hiding in Iran in 1980 ,pretending to be Canadian was a ticket home...and for the American and Canadians involved about as far from wimp as you you can get:)

Hiding in Iran in 1980 ,pretending to be Canadian was a ticket home...and for the American and Canadians involved about as far from wimp as you you can get:)

truer words were never spoken - too bad the movie hadn't been more accurate. Canadian Ken Taylor was a true hero how he rescued the Americans.

In general, people who want to dress like the locals to 'fit' in or be less of a target for pickpockets are fooling themselves more than anyone else.

Bottom line is that most locals can spot a tourist a mile away. And even more so for pickpockets who expertise lies in their ability to 'size' up their intended victims-along with their well honed powers of observation. It is not just clothes. As others have mentioned it is shoes, hair, behaviour, gait, etc. etc.

And if dress is not enough, the locals simply have to hear someone utter a few words and the gig is up.

Best advice I have is simply be yourself, dress in a manner that is comfortable for touring and then get on with the serious business of being a tourist. And of course, observe the local customs and be aware of your surroundings at all times.

It has become just a little silly. A barman in Amsterdam told my sister how he can easily spot Americans who like to wear a Canadian flag pin on their lapel. He said the secret in the trade is that Americans prefer the larger Canadian lapel pins while Canadians generally wear a smaller, more discreet pin. Just an example of how the locals can figure out one from the other.

My advice also is be yourself. Wear what you feel comfortable wearing. Enjoy being a tourist.

truer words were never spoken - too bad the movie hadn't been more accurate. Canadian Ken Taylor was a true hero how he rescued the Americans.

The movie was very much a work of fiction - but it was very good and I still like Ben Afleck.;)

Decreed by Canadian parliament.. the maternity floor was deemed Dutch soil while the little princess was being born...securing her place in the succession to the throne.

Every year since, thousands of tulip bulbs are sent to our capitol city of Ottawa as a gesture of gratitude.

My best friend was born in Holland and came to Canada when she was five....her parents told me about being liberated ..but what they remembered most was the behavior of the Canadian troops while they were in Holland.

Being highly regarded as a nation is great ...but it is also nice to know...that if we are ever in a fight we get to stand behind the big guy and say "we're with him":)

Would the whole world could exchange tulips instead of gunfire.

Great post Colleen!:)

Indeed. No one is going around calling themselves "United Statians." People from the U.S. are called "Americans." People from Canada are called "Canadians."

Thanks... simple and correct.

Just residing in the continent(s) known today as the Amercica's" does not make the citizens of Canada, Mexico, Brazil etc... American Citizens as a previous poster kind of contended.

The Americas, or America, also known as the New World, are the combined continental landmasses of North America and South America, in the Western Hemisphere. Along with their associated islands, they cover 8.3% of the Earth's total surface area (28.4% of its land area).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqfZsJBMznA

Personally I can't imagine pretending to be anything that I'm not. But to each their own. I do understand why some people from the US feel they wouldn't be welcomed.

After many trips abroad, we have never had any problem, always welcomed and treated fairly. Of course anyone who is rude and doesn't at least attempt to be friendly won't be welcomed no matter where they come from.

When we traveled to the eastern Med DH did leave our military ID at home though. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqfZsJBMznA

Personally I can't imagine pretending to be anything that I'm not. But to each their own. I do understand why some people from the US feel they wouldn't be welcomed.

After many trips abroad, we have never had any problem, always welcomed and treated fairly. Of course anyone who is rude and doesn't at least attempt to be friendly won't be welcomed no matter where they come from.

When we traveled to the eastern Med DH did leave our military ID at home though. ;)

Hilarious:):):)

Our experience is that some people get confused between liking Americans and liking American foreign policy. There is a HUGE difference.

Some people in foreign countries judge individual Americans by the foreign policy of their Government. Some Americans judge the friendliness of people in foreign countries by whether or not they happen to agree with American foreign policy.

These two are vastly different. Just one more reason never to talk politics or religion.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any products I can use to make my sneakers whiter? I plan to order a new pair before my trip, but I would like to make them glow like a full moon. I have a question on choice of shorts. Do you think big, baggy shorts or the cargo shorts would be best? (I know what you're thinking. Big, baggy, cargo shorts, in a Statue of Liberty print, worn low with boxers sticking out. Sadly, I have been unable to find any.)

I was wondering if anyone knows of any products I can use to make my sneakers whiter? I plan to order a new pair before my trip, but I would like to make them glow like a full moon. I have a question on choice of shorts. Do you think big, baggy shorts or the cargo shorts would be best? (I know what you're thinking. Big, baggy, cargo shorts, in a Statue of Liberty print, worn low with boxers sticking out. Sadly, I have been unable to find any.)

1. Proceed to your local Sam's Club or Costco forthwith

2. Purchase a 58-pack of ordinary "white-out" with malice aforethought

3. Return to your domicile - Remember No Speeding and No California stops!

4. Scope out nice place in the shade in your backyard

5. Obtain yourself a nice gold glass of lemonade, eye protection and Sears garden gloves

6. Initiate your quest/Knock yourself out on getting those bad boys to glow like the moon

7. If feasible, report back on any progress via this forum

Just make sure the boxers have the U.S. flag printed on them (yes, I've actually seen them) :)!

1. Proceed to your local sam's club or costco forthwith

2. Purchase a 58-pack of ordinary "white-out" with malice aforethought

3. Return to your domicile - remember no speeding and no california stops!

4. Scope out nice place in the shade in your backyard

5. Obtain yourself a nice gold glass of lemonade, eye protection and sears garden gloves

6. Initiate your quest/knock yourself out on getting those bad boys to glow like the moon

7. If feasible, report back on any progress via this forum

:) :) :)

Notwithstanding Websters...

If someone tells me they are American, I assume that they are from the U.S.A. Not from Canada, and not from Central or South America.

Especially if I meet them on a Holland cruise.