Chair hogs

rocker57

What Princess hasn't learned or are willing to do is to enforce their own policies. The only thing consistent about Princess is their inconsistency whether it's Anytime dining, chair hogs, etc. Princess takes the attitude that the customer is always right even if it inconveniences many other passengers.

As any parent knows, if you set the rules, stick with them and have consequences, people have respect. On Princess, it's usually the loudest, nastiest, most obnoxious or entitled person who gets what they want. I absolutely agree that Princess should implement something similar to Carnival's notices when it comes to chair hogs.

this is spot on! the squeaky wheel certainly gets the grease on princess.

I found that there were always plenty of chairs, they just wouldn't always be right beside the pool! The best case of a chair hog that I did see on my last cruise was this one:

p1050099.jpg

Now...do you see the chair on the far right? The lady picked up the TABLE that was beside the lounger and put it on the chair to reserve it. The chair beside it was hogged with a towel. This large group of people got up and left for the buffet for an hour before they returned. I had to snap a picture at the time because it was so ridiculous!

I only cruised Carnival for 2 years but when I did I read the Carnival CC boards. It seemed like more than half the time the threads were about chair hogs. The complaints ran on and on and on. They had the same complaints of non-enforcement. I think John Heald heard enough and decided to do something about enforcing the rule. I guess they finally decided to please the majority.

Personally, I've never seen a shortage of deck chairs/chaises on Princess but I'm not one to sit in the sun, at least not intentionally, so I've never had to actually scout out a place in the sun.

What Princess hasn't learned or are willing to do is to enforce their own policies. The only thing consistent about Princess is their inconsistency whether it's Anytime dining, chair hogs, etc. Princess takes the attitude that the customer is always right even if it inconveniences many other passengers.

As any parent knows, if you set the rules, stick with them and have consequences, people have respect. On Princess, it's usually the loudest, nastiest, most obnoxious or entitled person who gets what they want. I absolutely agree that Princess should implement something similar to Carnival's notices when it comes to chair hogs.

Pam;

Couldn't have said it any better.....:):):)

I remember one of the many previous hog threads wherein someone posted a pic that showed someone had placed covers over the tops of the chairs that said "reserved." That is going way too far. I would have lhad a hard time not tossing over the side.....:D

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

That would be the sanctuary for adults...

That's a good point, but a lot more expensive than what I was talking about. And back then it was all the deck chairs, not just one particular area. If memory serves I think it cost us about $140 for 2 chair for the week. No auto tip back in those days so the deck steward got an envelope.

I don't think I've ever read a comment here that gave a crew member's name in a situation like this.

Not here. Either in the email survey, or in the "let us know" forms

are the passenger services desk.

Not related to deck issues, but there is one princess maitre d'

-- if a person in dining is mentioned by name in a negative way

in the email survey, they are sent home.

On Carnival, they had a sign out and it appears to have been respected. I never heard anyone complain, but then, I didn't pay that much attention. If I was in the pool, or left for a few minutes and there was a sticky on my chair, I would just remove it, not a big deal.

Doesn't having to use stickies show that the sign isn't being respected?

Princess would then start charging a fee to reserve a lounger to offset the cost of policing chair hogs..

On our first cruise back in '68, we DID have to pay and reserve a lounge by the pool. A Cunard ship.

Maybe they should install parking meters on the chairs :p 25 cents for 15 minutes with strict enforcement by meter maids. Use the meters that max out at 15 minutes.

Edited by mrell345

Maybe they should install parking meters on the chairs :p 25 cents for 15 minutes with strict enforcement by meter maids. Use the meters that max out at 15 minutes.

Shhh, they may see that:eek:

Even though I did see a few people saving chairs there really wasn't enough of it going on in my opinion. My DH and I found a couple of nice loungers and were happy as clams.

What I think what would be different (this gave me the idea from the metered chairs) would be chairs that give massages while you are soaking up some sun. Just like the pedicure chairs except add a charge machine to it. :rolleyes:

I'll bet a lot of the regular normal loungers would be empty! :eek:

Edited by greenie082756

Even though I did see a few people saving chairs there really wasn't enough of it going on in my opinion. My DH and I found a couple of nice loungers and were happy as clams.

What I think what would be different (this gave me the idea from the metered chairs) would be chairs that give massages while you are soaking up some sun. Just like the pedicure chairs except add a charge machine to it. :rolleyes:

I'll bet a lot of the regular normal loungers would be empty! :eek:

Aren't those massage chairs made of black leather ?

There is the solution, make all the deck chairs from black leather :D:D:D

Sorry if anyone thinks I am being silly here but I can't count the number of times this argument comes up, be it on a cruise ship or an all inclusive resort.

Edited by mrell345

I found that there were always plenty of chairs, they just wouldn't always be right beside the pool! The best case of a chair hog that I did see on my last cruise was this one:

p1050099.jpg

Now...do you see the chair on the far right? The lady picked up the TABLE that was beside the lounger and put it on the chair to reserve it. The chair beside it was hogged with a towel. This large group of people got up and left for the buffet for an hour before they returned. I had to snap a picture at the time because it was so ridiculous!

Pam;

Couldn't have said it any better.....:):):)

I remember one of the many previous hog threads wherein someone posted a pic that showed someone had placed covers over the tops of the chairs that said "reserved." That is going way too far. I would have lhad a hard time not tossing over the side.....:D

Bob

Knowing me, if I can't find a deck chair in the place I'm looking (no smoking area in the shade; if wanting to watch a movie, in the view of the screen), and I see a chair being "reserved" this way in the desired location (and if there isn't anyone in the pool), I might just avail myself of one of these chairs.

We have travelled Princess on a number of occasions and if the chair hogs didn't obey the rules we notified the bar staff nearby and they always fixed the problem. Got some heavy glares from the people who had to move but what the heck . . . rules are rules and on a cruise you have much more fun when you share the experience around.

[quote name='rocker57']I am reading on several threads about people complaining about chair hogs. We took a Panama cruise last year with Carnival, and though I had other issues with Carnival, I have to say they were very diligent about marking vacant chairs. Someone was always coming around and putting stickies on chairs where people left their stuff but no where around. So why isn't Princess doing this:confused:[/QUOTE]

Excellent idea. But also when on Carnival, what about the actual theft of loungers when leaving them for no more than 10 minutes, with personal possessions dumped on the pool deck. Although the area was crowded, not one person saw anything?

[quote name='rocker57']I am reading on several threads about people complaining about chair hogs. We took a Panama cruise last year with Carnival, and though I had other issues with Carnival, I have to say they were very diligent about marking vacant chairs. Someone was always coming around and putting stickies on chairs where people left their stuff but no where around. So why isn't Princess doing this:confused:[/QUOTE]

In about 2000, they did this on grand for a while. They had a little
folding table set up near the glass elevators, and things that were
left unattended for a while were moved there.

It didn't last too long.

[quote name='pablo222']In about 2000, they did this on grand for a while. They had a little
folding table set up near the glass elevators, and things that were
left unattended for a while were moved there.

It didn't last too long.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I remember that table only a few years ago. There was only a few items on it mid-day and a clip board to claim your stuff if it had been placed there by anyone. [/FONT]

[COLOR="Purple"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I have found that the worst chair hogs tend to be at the Terrace Pool on the Grand Class ships.[/FONT][/COLOR] [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Purple"] Unless you are out there at 6am, the aft facing loungers are already "taken".[/COLOR][/FONT] :mad:

If I see any reserved deck chairs I am confident have been left unattended for purposes of reserving them I simply remove the items on the chair, leave them with a deck steward and take over the chair. I have done it several times and no one has challenged me over what I do.

[quote name='argenta01'][COLOR="Purple"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I have found that the worst chair hogs tend to be at the Terrace Pool on the Grand Class ships.[/FONT][/COLOR] [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Purple"] Unless you are out there at 6am, the aft facing loungers are already "taken".[/COLOR][/FONT] :mad:[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Since there are only a dozen or so lounges, getting one up front is hard to do. You do have to get there early & get 2 chairs taking turns to hold the seat.

Also removing items from any seat means hanging around for 45 minutes to see if the person returns in time. It's difficult to do if you don't have a seat to begin with. A person could lay down a bag & go to breakfast in the Horizon & be back in 30 minutes or less. [/FONT]

[quote name='argenta01'][COLOR="Purple"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I have found that the worst chair hogs tend to be at the Terrace Pool on the Grand Class ships.[/FONT][/COLOR] [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Purple"] Unless you are out there at 6am, the aft facing loungers are already "taken".[/COLOR][/FONT] :mad:[/QUOTE]
The saving grace at the Terrace Pool are the curved bleachers. I could get space to lay down on them nearly anytime of day. I've even just laid a towel down on the wood pool surround and used that.

[quote name='Pam in CA']What Princess hasn't learned or are willing to do is to enforce their own policies. The only thing consistent about Princess is their inconsistency whether it's Anytime dining, chair hogs, etc. Princess takes the attitude that the customer is always right even if it inconveniences many other passengers.

As any parent knows, if you set the rules, stick with them and have consequences, people have respect. On Princess, it's usually the loudest, nastiest, most obnoxious or entitled person who gets what they want. I absolutely agree that Princess should implement something similar to Carnival's notices when it comes to chair hogs.[/QUOTE]

So true!

[quote name='PescadoAmarillo']The saving grace at the Terrace Pool are the curved bleachers. I could get space to lay down on them nearly anytime of day. I've even just laid a towel down on the wood pool surround and used that.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]That's because no one wants to sit or lay on a hard wooden bench for any amount of time no matter how many towels you lay down first. [/FONT]:cool:
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]There's a definite shortage of seating at the Terrace pool so get there [B]early[/B]. [/FONT]