Chair hogs

rocker57

I am reading on several threads about people complaining about chair hogs. We took a Panama cruise last year with Carnival, and though I had other issues with Carnival, I have to say they were very diligent about marking vacant chairs. Someone was always coming around and putting stickies on chairs where people left their stuff but no where around. So why isn't Princess doing this:confused:

I am reading on several threads about people complaining about chair hogs. We took a Panama cruise last year with Carnival, and though I had other issues with Carnival, I have to say they were very diligent about marking vacant chairs. Someone was always coming around and putting stickies on chairs where people left their stuff but no where around. So why isn't Princess doing this:confused:

Because the staff would have to commence their patrols from 05.30 onwards and continue throughout the day until 16.30, working together with security for protection, it would tie up so many people for such a long time.

I think its more of a cultural thing (corporate not country of origin). In general, Princess staff seem far more averse to confrontation with guests than on some other lines. It takes a fair amount of training to properly handle customer conflict, and I don't think that is something Princess does well.

There is also the matter of inertia. When not dealt with, behavior becomes the norm with a ship staff, until drastically changed by executive order or necessity. So even if someone comes from another ship/line where it is enforced, they will see others not doing so and eventually stop.

Actual staffing costs to do it would be fairly minimal. On some lines, pool staffing is treated as a perk to get a break from regular duties (a steward can get a week working at the pool instead for good ratings while a backup steward handles their cabins and gets some experience)

...because everyone working on princess lives in morbid fear of

a bad comment:

"I left my stuff in a chair for 5 minutes and deck attendent

<insert former crew member name here> was very rude

and removed it."

And, Princess' mentality is still in a bygone era when passengers had courtesy.

That is why they "respectfully request..." rather than demand.

They should look at their customer base, and re-evaluate.

Edited by pablo222

that just seems wrong. On Carnival, they had a sign out and it appears to have been respected. I never heard anyone complain, but then, I didn't pay that much attention. If I was in the pool, or left for a few minutes and there was a sticky on my chair, I would just remove it, not a big deal. It just seems to be a shame when some people only think about themselves. Personally, I don't want to get up at 6:30, just to put a towel on a chair that I may not use for several hours, I'm on holidays, and I can barely roust myself to get a cup of coffee :p

...because everyone working on princess lives in morbid fear of

a bad comment:

"I left my stuff in a chair for 5 minutes and deck attendent

<insert former crew member name here> was very rude

and removed it."

I don't think I've ever read a comment here that gave a crew member's name in a situation like this.

What Princess hasn't learned or are willing to do is to enforce their own policies. The only thing consistent about Princess is their inconsistency whether it's Anytime dining, chair hogs, etc. Princess takes the attitude that the customer is always right even if it inconveniences many other passengers.

As any parent knows, if you set the rules, stick with them and have consequences, people have respect. On Princess, it's usually the loudest, nastiest, most obnoxious or entitled person who gets what they want. I absolutely agree that Princess should implement something similar to Carnival's notices when it comes to chair hogs.

On the Silhouette one of the deck attendants job aside from cleaning up, was to look at the clock and put a sticker with the time on it , on chairs, after 20 minutes she removed the items , towels, books shoes whatever and sent them down to guest relations . It worked.

I don't think I've ever read a comment here that gave a crew member's name in a situation like this.

It is not the comment here, it is what the passenger writes up and hands to ship management, thus putting a black mark on the crew member's record for not treating a passenger properly.

Because as with every other aspect of Princess cruises they stay far away from any kind of confrontation with passengers. This would create many conflicts which would in rub off on passengers that are not even involved.

I don't ever expect Princess to attempt to enforce anything like this.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

It sounds like Carnival is handling chair hogs in a good manner. I wonder if it is on all their ships are if one was to read the Carnival board there would be people on that board complaining about chair hogs as well.

It would be nice if Princess had a consistent plan for chair hogs but like Pam said Princess can be inconsistent in regards to so many issues. That said, I have never really had an issue finding a lounge chair. It depends on my mood for the moment. Sometimes I like to be by the pool, sometimes at the back of the ship, or sometimes down along the side of the ship. I guess being flexible has served me well.:):):)

IMO there is nothing wrong with "the customer is always right". Even to the point of even when they are wrong.

Also if the ship were not over crowded. Have you ever not found a place to set on the Golden or Coral or you name the next one.

Let's go back to the old days with deck chairs and end the problem. When I cruised back in the 80s on the Oceanic, you rented your deck chair and it was yours for the week. The deck steward pulled it out for you in the morning, set it up, kept it clean, and put it away in the evening. He also got your drinks, etc. Yea it cost a few bucks but it was a very civilized system, and as I recall the cost was reasonable. When you weren't using it no one else could, because you rented it for the week, and the deck steward enforced it.

What Princess hasn't learned or are willing to do is to enforce their own policies. The only thing consistent about Princess is their inconsistency whether it's Anytime dining, chair hogs, etc. Princess takes the attitude that the customer is always right even if it inconveniences many other passengers.

As any parent knows, if you set the rules, stick with them and have consequences, people have respect. On Princess, it's usually the loudest, nastiest, most obnoxious or entitled person who gets what they want. I absolutely agree that Princess should implement something similar to Carnival's notices when it comes to chair hogs.

So true. When people know there's consequences -- such as your stuff being removed so that you need to go to the desk or another location to retrieve it -- you'll stop the behavior. Hopefully. And the retrieval spot can have some notices ready that explains why their items were removed.

On the Silhouette one of the deck attendants job aside from cleaning up, was to look at the clock and put a sticker with the time on it , on chairs, after 20 minutes she removed the items , towels, books shoes whatever and sent them down to guest relations . It worked.

Thumbs up to them! If more cruise lines take action, the others will take notice if people talk it up in a positive way.

IMO there is nothing wrong with "the customer is always right". Even to the point of even when they are wrong.

Also if the ship were not over crowded. Have you ever not found a place to set on the Golden or Coral or you name the next one.

My last cruise was on the Golden. Went to the pool area to watch the morning movie on MUTS and couldn't find an available chair on the non-smoking side in the shade. Until I saw one with a blouse and book and not a person's butt on it. I asked the people sitting around it if they knew the person who put the items there. No one knew. I asked if any of them have been there for at least a half hour, and a few said yes. I took the items and moved to a table, and sat down, saying, "You didn't see that." Got some laughs. It was at least an half hour into the movie before a woman showed up and took the items. I guess she realized she was busted so she didn't challenge me. If she had, I would have shrug. Maybe even point up to the Sun Deck and ask her to go there and read what it says on the sign. (which of course was the sign pointing out the time limit of 30 minutes)

I would hope if some passenger complained to the front desk or on the online post-cruise survey, that Corporate wouldn't punish a crew member for taking action. To me, if you go to a restaurant and put your belongings on another table, and a waiter removes the items, you wouldn't be able to get the waiter in trouble.

Are you listening Princess???

"Hogged" chairs are easy to spot. No matter...there are usually plenty of loungers...they can't all be right nexgt to the pool...and I prefer being a bit away! More room, and not as noisy!

If it's a sunny sea day, there may be plenty of lounge chairs with items strewn on them to save. Maybe someone needs one in the shade. Maybe someone needs one by the pool to watch his or her kids. If you want to be up on the sun deck, you may have an easier time finding an available chair. Just don't assume that's the situation for others.

That would be the sanctuary for adults...

Let's go back to the old days with deck chairs and end the problem. When I cruised back in the 80s on the Oceanic, you rented your deck chair and it was yours for the week. The deck steward pulled it out for you in the morning, set it up, kept it clean, and put it away in the evening. He also got your drinks, etc. Yea it cost a few bucks but it was a very civilized system, and as I recall the cost was reasonable. When you weren't using it no one else could, because you rented it for the week, and the deck steward enforced it.