Upgrade preference question

I have always said I'm OK to upgrade. But I absolutely do NOT want a connecting stateroom. Their form states - "I would like an upgrade but have restrictions" Then lists a variety of deal breakers. I think it should include - I DO NOT WANT A CONNECTING STATEROOM.

I had a connecting stateroom once. There was a hard of hearing man with an assistant. He yelled everything! TV was beyond loud. Plus he was very grouchy - screaming - cussing at his assistant and room attendant. We could not even have a conversation with each other, as the TV was so loud.

We begged for a new stateroom. We told the desk to check with the room attendant to verify our concerns. It didn't look promising. Of course as soon as we had our suitcases unpacked - they called with a new room.

I think we should bug Royal to add the NO CONNECTING preference to their UPGRADE section. What do you think?

Even if you did not have a connecting stateroom... and the situation was the same... you still could have heard all the conversations and salty language from the cabin next door. But I agree... if you don't want to risk a connecting door then by all means, refuse any upgrade. Chances are, unless you are D+ or higher, you won't even be considered for an upgrade.

I have always said I'm OK to upgrade. But I absolutely do NOT want a connecting stateroom. Their form states - "I would like an upgrade but have restrictions" Then lists a variety of deal breakers. I think it should include - I DO NOT WANT A CONNECTING STATEROOM.

I had a connecting stateroom once. There was a hard of hearing man with an assistant. He yelled everything! TV was beyond loud. Plus he was very grouchy - screaming - cussing at his assistant and room attendant. We could not even have a conversation with each other, as the TV was so loud.

We begged for a new stateroom. We told the desk to check with the room attendant to verify our concerns. It didn't look promising. Of course as soon as we had our suitcases unpacked - they called with a new room.

I think we should bug Royal to add the NO CONNECTING preference to their UPGRADE section. What do you think?

I agree there should be a way to enter more info on preferences. I'd prefer an "Other" choice, with a text box that we could use to enter an explanation.

You can call C&A and have them set your preferences such that they call you before they upgrade. That is not selectable on the web form.

I agree there should be a way to enter more info on preferences. I'd prefer an "Other" choice, with a text box that we could use to enter an explanation.

You can call C&A and have them set your preferences such that they call you before they upgrade. That is not selectable on the web form.

It would be nice if one could have other/free text as you suggest. Or if they'd even add an option to contact guest (or their travel agent) prior to any upgrade. I'd like to be able to set that myself rather than calling C&A, as some cruises I am open to any upgrade and other times only a substantial upgrade would induce me happily leave a special cabin, like a corner aft.

I agree completely..the online choices usually don't apply to what I consider an upgrade and are too limiting in their wording choices. Would also appreciate a way to easily make them known on the online form. !!!

While I agree with your comment regarding additional choices, unfortunately the situation as you describe with a man yelling everything he communicated as loudly as that would also likely have been heard in a non-connecting stateroom as well. :( Fortunately they were able to move you.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

• 4 weeks later...
Pick the cabin you want, then mark it "NO upgrades"!

I agree. Sure it would be nice to have more boxes to check, especially if one is picky, but everyone has the option of No upgrades if they do not want to accept the Royal chosen upgrade graciously.

80% of the time, I leave my options wide open and have been happy with the upgrades. 20% of the times I do not want a change to an unknown so I check the do not upgrade.

Guest maddycat

Do they acturally call? I'd do that if I was sure that I would get a call before being upgraded.

Do they acturally call? I'd do that if I was sure that I would get a call before being upgraded.

Yes, they actually call. I've read several reports here about C&A leaving a message about an upgrade.

Yes, we've been called several times since they added "to call first" to our Upgrade Preferences.

I do not see an option to be called first. There is a list of criteria, none of which is agreeable to me. We always book an aft cabin, when available, and we won't give it up unless the upgrade is to a suite. It says you will be notified of your upgrade (if one of the is met) by email. I always check that I do not want an upgrade.

Allyson

I do not see an option to be called first. There is a list of criteria, none of which is agreeable to me. We always book an aft cabin, when available, and we won't give it up unless the upgrade is to a suite. It says you will be notified of your upgrade (if one of the is met) by email. I always check that I do not want an upgrade.

Allyson

I've had to call C&A to get them to select the "call first" option. I've not been able to select that on the website.

Allyson

You have to call C&A and they will manually add that to your file.

I guess more choices would necessitate more reading and deciphering and that's a time waster. I'd like more choices as well, but I think they would choose the person who opted for 'any upgrade' vs one who wants non-connecting balconies on floors 8 or 9.

Unless you're a Pinny. And then you can ask for anything.

Edited by marci22

I guess more choices would necessitate more reading and deciphering and that's a time waster. I'd like more choices as well, but I think they would choose the person who opted for 'any upgrade' vs one who wants non-connecting balconies on floors 8 or 9.

Unless you're a Pinny. And then you can ask for anything.

Not really!!:p