Bad viking experience

notavikingfan

I was on a Viking Rhone River cruise May 2014. I had a balcony suite. For about 4 of the 7 days of the cruise, the balcony was totally blocked from use by other river boats parked right up next to us. When I spoke to a ship representative, he told me there was nothing that could be done about river traffic conditions. This was never mentioned in the literature that this might happen.

One day the captain ran the ship into the shore and into a tree which came crashing onto the front deck. The tree destroyed the protective glass screens set up at the front of the ship. The people who were sitting at the tables effected by the tree coming onto the boat told me the cruise company never apologized to them, not did they ever offer anything to the passengers as compensation. In fact they hardly even mentioned the incident.

Another incident happened on an afternoon tour where our friends were left stranded on a bus for 45 minutes with several others while those that could handle the walk got off and enjoyed the little town. I would not recommend Viking.

My husband and I paid $6000 apiece for this river cruise. I am asking for a $2000/each refund (NOT a credit) due to these incidents. VIKING IS REFUSING TO EXTEND ANY REFUND

Edited by notavikingfan
forgot last line

I was on a Viking Rhone River cruise May 2014. I had a balcony suite. For about 4 of the 7 days of the cruise, the balcony was totally blocked from use by other river boats parked right up next to us. When I spoke to a ship representative, he told me there was nothing that could be done about river traffic conditions. This was never mentioned in the literature that this might happen.

One day the captain ran the ship into the shore and into a tree which came crashing onto the front deck. The tree destroyed the protective glass screens set up at the front of the ship. The people who were sitting at the tables effected by the tree coming onto the boat told me the cruise company never apologized to them, not did they ever offer anything to the passengers as compensation. In fact they hardly even mentioned the incident.

Another incident happened on an afternoon tour where our friends were left stranded on a bus for 45 minutes with several others while those that could handle the walk got off and enjoyed the little town. I would not recommend Viking.

My husband and I paid $6000 apiece for this river cruise. I am asking for a $2000/each refund (NOT a credit) due to these incidents. VIKING IS REFUSING TO EXTEND ANY REFUND

You're asking for compensation for things that didn't happen to you?

I was on the boat when it crashed into the shore and the tree missed me for sure. We could not enjoy the village tour with our friends because they were stuck on the bus and couldn't get off. There was food for lunch buffets NOT refreshed on the food line so when I arrived with my plate there was no item left, my balcony which I paid for, was blocked 4 days out of 7.

These things didn't happen to me????????

I'm sorry you experienced such difificulties on your Viking River Cruise.

It is well understood by most river cruisers that the boats often tie up along side each other while in port, but surely your enjoyment of your balcony was unimpeded while cruising?

We have done 4 Viking River cruises and have never had an issue with the food running out, but possibly the wait staff could have accomodated you?

Regarding the bus issue, we did have a bus that was in difficulty during one excursion. These things happen.

For us, the worst case scenario would have been either too high water levels or too low water levels. Thankfully this has never happened to us and we were able to complete each cruise as promised.

I am sorry you feel that your trip was ruined, but as loum140 mentions, stacking of ships is a common occurrence. The rivers aren't a big as oceans, so space is limited. (maybe if you had joined CC prior to the cruise and done a quick perusal of the boards, you might have known that ;)) I would venture a guess that your balcony wasn't blocked ALL day for those 4 days, maybe just during those times when you are in a port.....perhaps at a time when you could be enjoying the town instead of your balcony??

Some folk have said that the stacking allows them to make new friends on other ships. Pop a cork and talk across your balcony!

The tree issue, while certainly frightening, doesn't sound like it impacted your trip at all.....just that you 'happened' to be on the boat at the time.

YOU consciously made the decision to skip the town when the bus had issues. Your friends may have been impacted for 45 minutes, but that is hardly a reason to miss an entire town. What would you have expected the cruiseline to do? I'm sure they either repaired the bus or made other transportation arrangements. Have you never experienced car troubles in your life??

The galley on the ship is very small. Maybe slightly larger than the average kitchen. Would you expect them to make enough for everyone to have everything they wanted (and not pre-order) just so one item might not run out??

I am sorry, but I think you are being unreasonable.....but that is your opinion to have. Stuff happens.....on cruises and in life.

Edited by CaroleSS

Sorry to hear things did not go as planned but what you described with balconies happens all the time. As to the tree, certainly an apology would be appropriate but I feel they owe you nothing.

Sorry you are unhappy, but Viking has no control over the "Rafting" of boats together. The port authorities tell the captain where to put his boat and there is no control at all over this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by nana541

Sorry you are unhappy, but Viking has no control over the "Rafting" of boats together. The port authorities tell the captain where to put his boat and there is no control at all over this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm sorry the OP was disappointed by the rafting. This, my friends, is why we go aquarium class. Wouldn't consider any other way. And, I'm sorry your friends could not handle the walking. This is another issue that comes up frequently on the boards. These little ancient European towns do not have any accommodations for the disabled.

I have yet to cruise on Viking, but I do realize the balcony will not be like an ocean cruise. We have been on many cruises where we never made port, never asked for a refund.

You are asking for 1/3 Refund.... that is crazy. Sounds like river cruising is not for you.

That happens w river cruises. You should have known that

What did you want - written apology? With regard to compensation, what would you do if you took an ocean cruise - demand compensation for the missed port? Perhaps the captain should have offered them a bottle of wine for their emotional distress but nothing more was warrented. Besides, why are you complaining about something that happened to someone else. Seems to me, it is their problem, not yours.

I have had lots of bus tours or walking tours ruined by people who thought that they were mobile but in fact were not. Why should the people on the bus tour have their tour ruined because your immobile friends could not handle the walk?

You are asking for a refund of 1/3 of your cruise cost for three problems, 2 of which did not even impact you at all! I will not comment further for fear that my reply would be removed.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

When I read the OP's post, I did not think they were implying there was anything wrong with the bus on the tour, but that their friends were physically unable to exit the bus and complete a walking tour of the locale. I'm assuming this was due to a physical disability. We have been on several river cruises and there is always a lot of walking. Viking usually is very good about informing their passengers about walking requirements, stairs, etc. But, then the passenger has to take some responsibility in reading the excursion details and attending the port talks.

Sounds like Viking made the right decision and if you posted here hoping to put pressure on them to change their minds I'd say you have failed.

I rather hope Viking stick to their decision and don't give in.

While I am very sorry the OP is unhappy with his experience it does seem that other than the Rafting which is an everyday occurrence in the river....

They want a refund for things that happened to other passengers, very unreasonable expectations! Don't know how else to put it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

And so they should. Did you ever read the Terms and Conditions of your cruise. :rolleyes:

This person also posted the same complaints on another website. It is too bad that in their opinion so much went wrong - river cruising is just not for them evidently.

Cruise Critic is a wonderful resource -- BEFORE you cruise. ;)

Sailed a couple of years ago on odin, full balcony because room is larger than french balcony. Balcony was usually wet, so barely used, but extra space nice. our main complaint was noise level in dining room at dinner. I had a headache and my husband was hoarse, just trying to talk to person next to or across from.

We could hear person in next room snoring and talking, as well as TV and closet doors being closed. Food was average. Lounge wasn't big enough. If you didn't arrive early for entertainment or port talk, you were stuck behind bar and couldn't see or hear. Ship had been in service about 2 months when we boarded, but most plugs didn't, work. People in suite at rear found it noisy from engine. Otherwise we couldn't hear engine.

This can be a really tough room and I'm not a Viking fan either, but I have to agree with everyone who posted ahead of me...the balcony situation is just the way it is in river cruising and to complain about it is, IMHO, like wanting a refund because you had to tender instead of walk off your ocean liner! I feel sorry for anyone who's long awaited vacation is "ruined" especially due to circumstances not under their control, but I have a hard time justifying your request for a refund from Viking. The ship hit a log.....scary? Yeah, but your cruise wasn't interrupted. Your friends were delayed waiting for transportation and you missed sight-seeing....annoying? You bet, but you could have gone without them. You want 1/3 of your total trip refunded?.....that's a special kind of chutzpah!!! :D

I'm not a Viking fan either, but I have to agree with everyone who posted ahead of me...the balcony situation is just the way it is in river cruising and to complain about it is, IMHO, like wanting a refund because you had to tender instead of walk off your ocean liner! I feel sorry for anyone who's long awaited vacation is "ruined" especially due to circumstances not under their control, but I have a hard time justifying your request for a refund from Viking. The ship hit a log.....scary? Yeah, but your cruise wasn't interrupted. Your friends were delayed waiting for transportation and you missed sight-seeing....annoying? You bet, but you could have gone without them. You want 1/3 of your total trip refunded?.....that's a special kind of chutzpah!!! :D

I have to agree as well. Rafting is common though I have read posts here that Viking has claimed to people on the phone that they own their own docks so are not affected. That is BS.

We were on an Avalon cruise when the boat hit a dock and was damaged and our trip was delayed by a day. We just enjoyed then extra day where we were and adjusted accordingly. Would never have dreamed of asking for a partial refund. I think they took everyone by bus to where we were supposed to go but it has been a few years and I cannot remember.

Another time we had to leave Regensburg about 6 hours earlier than scheduled due to rising water. It was not possible to contact everyone as many were in town. The CM stayed on land and waited for everyone, bussing them to the next stop and stopping along the way for dinner. They boarded later that night, having hitched a ride with another boat. They rafted us with them mid river and the left behind passengers came aboard to applause.

River happens.

oh i love that!!!! I think this should be a "theme" on this board... May be then every one will understand!!

River happens!!!! :) :)

sent from my iphone using forums mobile app

amen!!!