Give me your best advice for "Newbies"

I like to get up early and watch the sunrise a few times. On the eastern Oasis class, first sea day, the bow of the ship is heading almost directly into the sunrise. It was breath-taking. Maybe 20 people watching, that was all! Maybe 20 people in the WHOLE world saw what I saw. That was cool.

Take a few moments to get to know the staff. Ask about where they are from, families, etc. Know their names, call them by name and thank them often. They always seem happy to share about their lives, and it allows a bit of a connection. Remember, they are working hard so you can enjoy your vacation. Be nice to them all. Say hi, say thanks, etc. I even thank the staff cleaning the halls and stairs. I appreciate what they do. You being happy, trying to make them happy will help with this next piece of advice....

Don't let little things get to you. Roll with the punches so you can enjoy your trip. Some negative reviews seem that one little thing snowballs into a ruined vacation. Not everything will go as planned, not everything will be perfect. But, you are on a cruise, on vacation! Most any one of us would gladly trade with you. A chunk of your good times will be determined in how you handle the hiccups!

Sit back, relax, enjoy. Take a deep breath of fresh sea air. Have a fru-fru iced drink and say AAAHHHHH!

Dang, I can't wait until my next cruise. :D

Only doing eastern Caribbean.

As pointed out by Thom, a Passport is not even needed for this cruise. While it would be best to renew its absolutely not required to do so on this closed loop cruise. You will be fine as long as its valid for the whole time of your cruise. Even if something were to happen and you had to fly back home.

There is a HUGE argument over this on the Crown and Anchor Facebook page and a lot of false information being given out. TravelerThom is correct.

You have plenty of time to renew though and will have to not too long after your cruise. Might as well go ahead and do so!

Edited by ryano

We are cruising the first of September and my husband's passport expires in January. He has already ordered a new passport.

It's not worth taking the chance of getting to the pier and not being allowed to board!

When you are on a cruise, you are considered in transit and you do not need to have a passport that expires in more than 6 months. The 6 month rule is when visiting a particular country and does not even apply to all countries. Your husband would have been fine with his existing passport.

My best advice, don't be afraid to ask for things. Extra coat hangers - no problem, pillows and extra blankets normally under the bed (in case get cold at night).

Oh and don't weigh yourself when you get off the ship for at least a week;)

A shoe / toiletry organiser to hang on the back of the bathroom door

Sticky notes so that you can leave notes for each other (depending o. The age of the kids)

Soda package for the kids, no need to spend any money on them after that

Go to kids club on first night (again depending on age of kids)

Tell her not to read CC before her first cruise and not to go with any expectations. I think our first cruise was so great because we had no idea what to expect and were blown away by the experience and fell in love with cruising.

Absolutely agree. In fact, our first cruise was on a much smaller older shop but I remember all those little new experiences, slicing through a calm sea, seeing dolphins, but the greatest one is standing on deck in pitch black with just the stars. That gets to me every time, I feel as though I'm in a different world.

I disagree about not reading CC before a cruise. As they say, "knowledge is power."

I can recall going on our first cruise (which we loved!) then discovering CC and thinking, gee, I wish I had known that! ;)

As for advice, plan on trying something new, whether it be snorkeling or a food item. It's those experiences that can make a specific cruise memorable.

I agree that CC is a wealth of information. I also understand it to be littered with negativity and petty bickering. It would easy to see a new cruiser easily discouraged and thinking that their cruise is going to be filled with chair hogs, fashion police, etc.

I value the information I've learned on here and enjoy reading about cruising to pass the time in between vacations, but I could understand a newbie being hesitent to cruise without prior experience of what a cruise is truly like.

I disagree about not reading CC before a cruise. As they say, "knowledge is power."

I can recall going on our first cruise (which we loved!) then discovering CC and thinking, gee, I wish I had known that! ;)

As for advice, plan on trying something new, whether it be snorkeling or a food item. It's those experiences that can make a specific cruise memorable.

My first cruise was in 2004 on Navigator; I joined CC in July of 2013, 9 years later and 13 cruises later. When I went on Navigator, I cruised with friends who were 'seasoned cruisers' -- it was fun, but cruise overload. A great deal of it from the 'wow' factor of the cruise itself, but also from the 'seasoned cruisers' we were with that wanted to tell us everything we needed to know, instead of 'letting us experience it'....but they were very good and dear friends trying to make sure we had a terrific cruise....and WE DID (almost despite them). DH and I went on another cruise 9 months later, without our friends and on 'little' Majesty of the Seas.

I can't even remember why I joined cruise critic -- but I did.

I enjoy it, but make sure to read every post with the eye of 'subjectivity' -- which is fine....please read mine, in the same way -- because everything is subject to the PAST experiences of the person writing it. Not just their cruise experiences but their life experiences and attitudes.

So my advice to first time cruisers....(1) it GO on your cruise with an OPEN mind; be willing to step out of your comfort zone a little bit and experience something new....because since you have NEVER cruised before it will ALL BE NEW for you.....and enjoy.

(2) Don't let what someone else does have a negative impact on your experience.

Then when you get home, ask yourself this simple question -- Did I have a good time? If the answer is Yes -- book another cruise; If the answer is No -- seriously examine why you have answered that way. Make sure that something that happened on the cruise (by someone ELSE) did not negatively affect your answer. Then ask yourself the question again.

Cruising isn't for everyone. It is for many, many people. DH and I are just two of them.

I agree with those who have said don't read CC prior to the cruise. Yes, you can get some good advice but you also get quite a bit of advice that is not accurate. Plus, there IS a lot of negativity on these boards. I did not discover CC until 2009, we were D+ by that time. I discovered things I should be upset about that I never realized! :D:rolleyes:

Sherri:)

I agree with those who have said don't read CC prior to the cruise. Yes, you can get some good advice but you also get quite a bit of advice that is not accurate. Plus, there IS a lot of negativity on these boards. I did not discover CC until 2009, we were D+ by that time. I discovered things I should be upset about that I never realized! :D:rolleyes:

Sherri:)

I discovered things I should be upset about that I never realized!

that was a good one :D

In the WJ to take all you want, but eat all you take.

Object to this one. I often take a little bit of new things, and I don't like it, don't finish it. The trick is...'a little bit'.

Don't be afraid to try new food, just don't take a full serving (or more) the first time you try it...you can always go back for more!

So it's okay to steal as long as you don't do it in the MDR or restaurants?:mad: Do you teach your kids these methods?

And I wondered about that post about sharing beverage packages too...

Always get to your departure city one day early...saves you from missing a ship due to flight delays, also gives a lost bag a chance to catch up with you before getting on the ship. Plus it's fun to explore the departure city.

Plan to get to the terminal before lunch so you can enjoy your first lunch on the ship!

Don't stop to take photos of the ship when you arrive at the terminal. I did this and a bus load of people moved on in ahead of us. Duh! I could have taken pictures of the ship every day! Ha!

I agree with the cruises we have done if you really want that first ship photo either get someone to stand in line while you take it or once you have boarded simply hop off and take them.

I have a friend who is going on her first cruise (BF and two kids).

Aside from the cruise experience itself is the ability to interact with new people (cruisers, staff and portside) that you might not otherwise get on a typical vacation, for both the adults and kids, in particular:

- recommend they ask for an any size or large table in the MDR, so they can talk with other parties.

- get to know names of waiters, room stewards and any other favorite staff, ask them where they are from, and any questions you may have about what is going on or what they would recommend, but do keep in mind when they may be time-constrained (room service waiters seldom stop and chat!).

- Encourage your kids to hang out and make friends in the kids club. As a parent, you will likely have to learn to be a bit looser as you let the kids participate in on-board activities without you.

- Also talk to folks on-shore, ask about the strangest guest request, other good stores to go to, how they got started, etc. You will get some interesting perspectives!

- Ask and offer to be a picture taker/subject and strike up the where you are from/what have you done conversations with the other party

And I always recommend (in addition to a lot of the things mentioned)

- Just agree in advance to meet as a group one to a few times a day or to leave notes with updates just to keep in touch if relevant.

- take a waterproof/shockproof camera if possible, so you can record events without worry.

- take a looseleaf binder with transparent pocket folders inside you can save cruise compasses and other paper given out to help you remember EVERYTHING on the cruise.

- plenty of protective stuff (suntan lotion, seasickness, bandaids) even if not all used so you don't worry about not having

- Try to avoid the internet and the world back home if possible....

- Get travel insurance.

- Don't rush the travel and do short connections to get to the cruise.

And to you their cruise expert

- print them an EDITED version of this thread customized to them,

- print/edit a few of the shorter reviews from the reviews web page (not forums) that you think would be good to give them perspective

- Let them know norovirus (practice common sense precautions anyway), hurricanes, and engine failures are rare.

- and give them your memories of first time cruising!

Edited by WestfieldTraveler
fixes