Bermuda or Caribbean

Is it much rougher seas going to Bermuda than it is in the Caribbean? Trying to decide between 2 rccl cruises. Usually I am ok with sea sickness in the Caribbean but I'm worried about Bermuda but I would love to try something new. I am thinking about going in July if that is a factor. Thanks

Bermuda is beautiful, but my preference would be the Caribbean. While weather can obviously vary, the Caribbean will likely be warmer and have smoother seas.

Edited by clarea

I also would pick Carribbean since you will be able to visit a few islands, I do like Bermuda been there several times ( only time I was see sick in my 57 cruise was going to Bermuda but that was a long time ago on a tiny ship 20,000 tons in 1980)

We've been to Bermuda in May, July and August. Sailing from NY, we did not find a difference in the roughness of the seas. We love Bermuda, and especially liked being docked in one place for several days and not having to rush back to the ship in the afternoon.

Several things that could help you narrow down your choices: Which ships are you considering? Is the Bermuda cruise only 5 days? Do you live close to NY or Baltimore, which eliminates air travel? Are you traveling with kids? These would all factor heavily in my decision.

Bermuda was great when the smaller ships could dock at Hamilton and St. Georges. I loved the cruises on Celebrity there, as you could walk off the ship and immediately be in Hamilton with Trimingham's basically right across the street. Sadly, the big gals can't get into Hamilton, and Trimingham's closed in 2005.

Bermuda is in the Gulf Stream, and can easily equal Caribe temperatures during the warmer months. It's a beautiful and extremely civilized former British island that is a must see. No one hassling you for tours or taxis or to sell you stuff. The Caribbean is nice enough, but Bermuda is in a class all its own.

Just did the 7-night Bermuda on Grandeur last week....the ocean was extremely calm both going and returning! We never even felt any ship movement. So, it's just luck of the draw, and depends on the weather. I've been in the Caribbean in calm seas, and horribly rough seas....so there is no correct answer as far as how the ride will be. Bermuda was fantastic, however.

Peter

Since OP has already done Caribbean itineraries , Bermuda is

different and worth the chance of

a ruff crossing of the Gulf Stream.

A well to do beautiful island without

the bead selling on the beach .

As said , sea conditions can never be predicted but in our 75 cruises , our worse sea day was NYC to Bermuda.

Suggest 7 nights vs 5 nights to Bermuda every time .

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have to agree w/ MCC that Bermuda IS DIFFERENT. It's definitely not a Caribbean Island experience (though lots of folks in general think it's in the Caribbean….just ask LOL)

It's so clean and safe and… oh yeah… EXPENSIVE. I has marvelous and affordable public transportation.

If you're looking at the 7 day cruise, it's so nice to be in one place for more than a few hours. No need to get up at the crack of dawn and then rush back so as not to miss the boat.

Also, like MCC, we had ROUGH seas (Explorer;September 2012). Amongst the to 3 roughest cruises I've had in about 70 cruises. However I'd still go back in a heartbeat. In fact I'll be there on the Celebrity Summit in 2 months.

I have to agree w/ MCC that Bermuda IS DIFFERENT. It's definitely not a Caribbean Island experience (though lots of folks in general think it's in the Caribbean….just ask LOL)

It's so clean and safe and… oh yeah… EXPENSIVE. I has marvelous and affordable public transportation.

If you're looking at the 7 day cruise, it's so nice to be in one place for more than a few hours. No need to get up at the crack of dawn and then rush back so as not to miss the boat.

Also, like MCC, we had ROUGH seas (Explorer;September 2012). Amongst the to 3 roughest cruises I've had in about 70 cruises. However I'd still go back in a heartbeat. In fact I'll be there on the Celebrity Summit in 2 months.

We are also doing NY to Bermuda on the Celebrity Summit in August. (might you be on our sailing, the 17th?)

OP - I'd like to suggest that you look into the Summit if you live within driving distance of NY, and aren't traveling with young kids. We did this cruise last August too, and even though we are huge RCI fans, it was one of our favorite cruises - our early-20s daughters agree!

MCC retired is correct, out of my 53 cruises, the Bermuda cruise I took (on that horrible NCL Breakaway which was our worst ship ever and she was brand new last year, hated her for many reasons) was the rockiest cruise I ever been on, its normal from what I heard when the ship leaves Bermuda going back to NY, never again for us, but Bermuda is beautiful.

We are also doing NY to Bermuda on the Celebrity Summit in August. (might you be on our sailing, the 17th?)

OP - I'd like to suggest that you look into the Summit if you live within driving distance of NY, and aren't traveling with young kids. We did this cruise last August too, and even though we are huge RCI fans, it was one of our favorite cruises - our early-20s daughters agree!

I agree with this , we went to Bermuda 2 years ago on a very small Hal ship Veendam, many people were see sick ( we were ok) but ship was rocking for the whole trip, talked to some nice people on the ferry who did same crossing at same time and they said ship was fine

Bermuda was great when the smaller ships could dock at Hamilton and St. Georges. I loved the cruises on Celebrity there, as you could walk off the ship and immediately be in Hamilton with Trimingham's basically right across the street. Sadly, the big gals can't get into Hamilton, and Trimingham's closed in 2005.

Bermuda is in the Gulf Stream, and can easily equal Caribe temperatures during the warmer months. It's a beautiful and extremely civilized former British island that is a must see. No one hassling you for tours or taxis or to sell you stuff. The Caribbean is nice enough, but Bermuda is in a class all its own.

I miss those days as well. Such a shame about Trimingham's..loved that store.

We're just back from two nights docked at Naval Dockyard, Bermuda on Vision of the Seas, June 9.

I recommend a cruise to Caribbean ports over two nights, even 3 nights, docked in Bermuda.

Why? Bermuda has much to see. It has a good transportation system of ferries, busses, mopeds, etc. But to see both ends of the island(s) from The Dockyard, to Hamilton in the middle, and quaint St. Georges, plus many beaches and coves takes more time than available from a cruise ship.

If you're okay taking Bermuda for a quick overview do it. Just know you should stay longer and not with a ship full of tourist in order experience Bermuda as beaches, historic towns, or modern city. Just my opinion.

Claire

Edited by ClairetoCruise

We're just back from two nights docked at Naval Dockyard, Bermuda on Vision of the Seas, June 9.

I recommend a cruise to Caribbean ports over two nights, even 3 nights, docked in Bermuda.

Why? Bermuda has much to see. It has a good transportation system of ferries, busses, mopeds, etc. But to see both ends of the island(s) from The Dockyard, to Hamilton in the middle, and quaint St. Georges, plus many beaches and coves takes more time than available from a cruise ship.

If you're okay taking Bermuda for a quick overview do it. Just know you should stay longer and not with a ship full of tourist in order experience Bermuda as beaches, historic towns, or modern city. Just my opinion.

Claire

Not sure about that rationale. If you sail the Caribbean, you are docked for one day at each island.. Many of those islands have lots to see and do and a one day stop wouldn't cover it. You can see far more on a Bermuda cruise since you are docked for several days.

Edited by celebrity

Hi Donna i do have a question for you since you live on LI and you can email me on this so as not to take up time on this board. We are planning on stopping off in NY 2 days before we go on the Oct 19, 2015 SOS Quebec cruise to FT Lauderdale. My question, what is the best way to travel into NY City and lower Manhatten. Ourselves and friends want to plan a visit. My last visit to NY City was ages ago and not familiar with the subways and stops needed. Thanks a bunch. In fact that was our one & only visit to Bermuda so wouldn't mind doing that again sometime.

Gay

Not sure about that rationale. If you sail the Caribbean, you are docked for one day at each island.. Many of those islands have lots to see and do and a one day stop wouldn't cover it. You can see far more on a Bermuda cruise since you are docked for several days.

My post was food for thought.

Any Caribbean island is enjoyable for a day, time and time again, from most ships.

Bermuda from a ship is not as easily seen again and again; therefore, requires a longer visit in my opinion for a comprehensive look about.

Claire

Claire

Thanks for the review, but I've done the trip 5 times and never had an issue covering the island in one day. There is a lot to see. But that's the great thing about Bermuda Every time you return you can find another amazing adventure if you like!!!

Is it much rougher seas going to Bermuda than it is in the Caribbean? Trying to decide between 2 rccl cruises. Usually I am ok with sea sickness in the Caribbean but I'm worried about Bermuda but I would love to try something new. I am thinking about going in July if that is a factor. Thanks
We have cruised to Bermuda twice...once in July and once in August. I wouldn't actually say its "much" rougher but it was definitely not as smooth as the Caribbean. On both cruises, we noticed a good amount of motion but it was just one particular day. It was the day before getting into Bermuda...late afternoon into the evening.....extra movement side to side and up and down. I thought it was great. Since Bermuda is new for you, I would certainly give it a try.