formal nights

white van man

From the Princess FAQs under

- What to Bring

--Theme Nights

Cruises of 7 nights or more usually feature theme nights for passengers to enjoy. Outfits are available for purchase onboard, or you are welcome to bring your own. So why not pack something and join the fun? Theme nights may vary from cruise to cruise; however, you can expect at least the following:

Island Night - bring your tropical wear for our Island Night deck party on all warm weather sailings.

Country and Western Night - bring your hats and boots and kick up your heels at this popular party.

can anyone tell me if there have a hawaiian night on princess,s cruises and also a black and white night , thanks

No.

Princess has formal nights where suggested dress for men is tux, suit & tie, jacket & tie, a few will wear jacket & no tie, some will be shirt & tie, no jacket. Women normally wear a nice dress or slacks. Formal dress is only for the main dining rooms. The remainder of the ship including the surcharge restaurants is smart casual or just casual. You can stay dressed throughout the evening and you will not be out of place. Many change after dining.

If you are on a warm weather cruise there will be a deck party and many passengers wear the Caribbean/Aloha shirts. Very few if any dress in outfits for other theme nights, ie C&W, 70's, Rock & Roll, Pub Night. In fact you never know what theme nights there may be until you are on board. Depends on the CD.

I remember back in the 1990s (when Princess had three dress codes: Formal, Semi-Formal and Casual) on casual nights there would often be a suggested dress in the Patter based on that night's theme (Caribbean, country western, etc). Other than Caribbean nights when sailing there it has become an afterthought. Though nowadays it would be interesting to see ship-wide participation in 60s/70s night attire...:D

No.

Princess has formal nights where suggested dress for men is tux, suit & tie, jacket & tie, a few will wear jacket & no tie, some will be shirt & tie, no jacket.

We are just off the Star Princess from a June 3rd cruise and on formal nights people pretty much wore what they wanted to. I would say at least a quarter of the men dressed in sports casual dress on those nights. Our friends cruised for the first time on that cruse and we had given them the dress code which they followed. They gave us a hard time because to them it seems like the dress code was a joke. I was a little shocked by what I saw too. Men were in the dining room in jeans and polos on the formal nights and it was no big deal to the MD. Maybe Alaska cruisers dress much more casual on formal nights????

We are just off the Star Princess from a June 3rd cruise and on formal nights people pretty much wore what they wanted to. I would say at least a quarter of the men dressed in sports casual dress on those nights. Our friends cruised for the first time on that cruse and we had given them the dress code which they followed. They gave us a hard time because to them it seems like the dress code was a joke. I was a little shocked by what I saw too. Men were in the dining room in jeans and polos on the formal nights and it was no big deal to the MD. Maybe Alaska cruisers dress much more casual on formal nights????

Two reasons for the dress down are:

#1 people assume that it an Alaskan cruise & most Alaskans don't dress up that much to begin with.

#2. Since it's a cooler climate people really can't spare the space for the extra formal clothing they would normally carry to a warm weather cruise.

#1 people assume that it an Alaskan cruise & most Alaskans don't dress up that much to begin with.

That's what happens when you have too many "reality shows" about Alaska...

#2. Since it's a cooler climate people really can't spare the space for the extra formal clothing they would normally carry to a warm weather cruise.

That's a much more likely reason.

can anyone tell me if there have a hawailan night on princess,s cruises and also a black and white night , thanks

There is usually a deck party one evening. On some ships it is called a tropical or island party, on others it is a white party.

Thanks for the explanation....then my question would be why have "formal nights" on this cruise itinerary if this is more the norm for people and Princess MD's?

Thanks for the explanation....then my question would be why have "formal nights" on this cruise itinerary if this is more the norm for people and Princess MD's?

Because SOME of us like Formal nights and dress up despite what other people do.

Our last three cruises were the Hawaiian cruise -- in 2005, there was an Island Night on the outside deck and many people would wear the aloha wear that they bought in one of the ports. In 2010 and 2012, when we did this cruise on the Golden Princess, it was called "the ultimate deck party," and passengers were encouraged to dress in aloha wear or other casual wear. The MUTS screen was used to show shots of passengers and crew members dancing. There will be live music (the last time Elua was playing and then Leialoha of the duo led everyone into dancing hula, and the pop band that was featured on the cruise took over and played dance tunes).

As for formal nights, there's not some special theme for the passengers. If planning to eat in one of the main dining rooms, many will try to dress up more (per the guidelines). Others who didn't want to bring a suit or nice dress have many other venues to eat at (the specialty restaurant dress code is always smart casual, even though it seems diners there do try to dress up; the buffet, the poolside grill, etc.). Many of the MDR dinners do have a theme, but that's for the cuisine. The waitstaff may dress up for that theme (eg. gondolier type outfits for Italian night) but that's it.

Why? Simple. Some people get great joy out of dressing up. They should enjoy themselves no matter how the small minority feel like dressing. Princess make everyone feel welcome no matter how they dress. They play no favorites.