Interesting things overheard on latest Celebrity Cruise

timbo89

So I majored in Geography in college and consider myself pretty well versed in where things are. A few cruises ago, I got out the map to show my twenty-something son, who is an RN and not dumb, where we were going on our TA. He pointed to something on the map and said, 'What's that?" I looked sideways at him and said,"That's England!" He gasped and said, "What? It's an ISLAND??"

I almost died on the spot, so I apologize in advance if you ever run into him on a cruise and he makes a similar comment!! He's really a good kid, I promise!! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That's ok but tell your son that the island is not England, England is one of the countries that makes up the island.

overheard on a cruise in Australia a passenger exploring the ship "....oh, gosh there's so many crooks and nannies" ... I think she meant nooks and crannies......

Edited by Embrace

Sorry to say but we have twice been asked by Americans "oh you are from Scotland, we have relatives there they are the ****** from xxxxx do you know them?

I know we are a small country but there are nearly 6 million of us...............

Sorry to say but we have twice been asked by Americans "oh you are from Scotland, we have relatives there they are the ****** from xxxxx do you know them?

I know we are a small country but there are nearly 6 million of us...............

I've had the same thing happen when in England," we have friends who live in Kansas, do you know them". We were from New Jersey at the time. I think they were just trying to be friendly.

Edited by dkjretired

I agree. Some of the comments are old jokes, but likely were said by someone. People can say some pretty dumb stuff. Usually it's just that they weren't thinking, and realize that what they said was pretty silly. Sometimes it's just not said right. But I am an airline pilot, and people ask dumb stuff all the time. Additionally I was born in Canada but moved to the U.S. at 8 years old. When I was about 10 my next door neighbor asked me to "say something in Canadian." I said "something." Yeah, Canada was part of England, and English is spoken there.

We once had a passenger write a letter of complaint about a flight that diverted to Miami from South America. They complained that if they had put enough fuel on the plane in the first place they would have made all the way. And it was the "worst landing ever because the pilot didn't lower the flaps until the airplane landed on the runway." Well, what he saw was the Ground Spoilers rising to slow the aircraft. And believe me, the FAA mandates that enough fuel is carried.

Sometime you really can't make this stuff up. :)

We once had a passenger write a letter of complaint about a flight that diverted to Miami from South America. They complained that if they had put enough fuel on the plane in the first place they would have made all the way. And it was the "worst landing ever because the pilot didn't lower the flaps until the airplane landed on the runway." Well, what he saw was the Ground Spoilers rising to slow the aircraft. And believe me, the FAA mandates that enough fuel is carried.

Sometime you really can't make this stuff up. :)

I work in the research division of the FAA and I am continually amazed at what I read and hear about aviation from the press. Even the CNN experts say things that make us scratch our heads.

Burt

Are you kidding - I'm from Canada (a country which encompasses 9.9 million sq kilometres) and I've gotten "Do you know Joe? He's from Canada." My stock answer is, "Yes I do. Great guy."

I don't know if some people think there's only a couple hundred people up here or what.

On our Oz to South Pacific cruise there were only 23 Americans on board. My husband was asked twice "You're from America? How many guns do you own?" And once "Are you in a gang?" (We are in our early 50s and no.) BUT we just took it in stride, acknowledged that's how we must appear to the world and proceeded to make up our gang name."The Sevos", because we were on attending an anesthesia seminar. We had a lot of fun with it- mostly because we got over ourselves and love Australians to the moon and back.....well....at least to the South Pacific and back. In the words of Sargent Hulka from the movie Stripes: "Lighten up Frances".

Karen

Sometimes, it's hard to tell when people are kidding or are really that, uh . . . challenged. Sometime people misspeak.

I know my husband and I say things to each other that might make other people think we've got issues. Sometime we repeat things we've heard other people say that amused us. Several years ago, we were watching a travel show on TV and while looking at a small desolate island covered with seabirds, the woman asked "what do they eat?" My husband yelled at the tv "cornflakes, you moron", so now when we hear someone ask a stupid question, we'll comment to each other "cornflakes".

And please don't tell me there's no such thing as a stupid question. Yes, there are.

Sometimes, it's hard to tell when people are kidding or are really that, uh . . . challenged. Sometime people misspeak.

I know my husband and I say things to each other that might make other people think we've got issues. Sometime we repeat things we've heard other people say that amused us. Several years ago, we were watching a travel show on TV and while looking at a small desolate island covered with seabirds, the woman asked "what do they eat?" My husband yelled at the tv "cornflakes, you moron", so now when we hear someone ask a stupid question, we'll comment to each other "cornflakes".

And please don't tell me there's no such thing as a stupid question. Yes, there are.

My wife and I do the same... Many years ago there was a comedy skit in which the comic would repeatedly say "your brother didn't do that, roll around and roll around in the bed". I honestly cannot remember what the rest of the skit was but whenever we see true ignorance one of us will say "your brother doesn't do that" and laugh a bit. Our own little reminder of the sea of idiots surrounding us... Of course we NEVER say anything dumb :eek::D.

My husband made me laugh on a recent cruise when he seriously asked me "do you think the staff sleep on the ship" I just looked at him in wonder and said"are you for real" then he realised what he had said.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here is a really bad one. One a bus to Mayan Ruins in the Yucatan a woman commented to the tour guide about the telephone/electric polls and wires and asked if the United States installed them.

overheard on a cruise in Australia a passenger exploring the ship "....oh, gosh there's so many crooks and nannies" ... I think she meant nooks and crannies......

Oh no. That's partially true when you take in the price per drink. :)

This may ruffle a few eagle feathers. Table mates were always having a good time and one always, after a few wobbly pops, kept calling me "hey Canuck" since I am Canadian. About the 20th time on the third night of "hey Canuck..." I turned and said "yes Yank?"

She got mad at me for being rude. I'm Canadian so of course I said I was sorry.

Ruffling more feathers I am often surprised at every sentence that begins with or contains the phrase "I'm (insert whatever upper level of cruise status)". On a 2010 cruise on Freedom if the Seas we bumped into a hurricane. I have a picture of the tv monitor showing 108 mph winds measured across the deck. The hurricane blew up out of nowhere. The weather people never saw it coming and the captain got us through it with only minor damage to the liquor store which most bottles tipped over.

The next night a passenger said to me "I'm diamond plus and how dare the captain put us in danger. I will be speaking with him."

Her husband laughed when I asked if the captain lets diamond plus cruisers steer the ship too.

When you work in a field that deals with the general public, you get a true idea of how moronic the general public has become.

I credit SmartPhones and Social Media for much of the stupidity.

LOL but they are fun to watch

This may ruffle a few eagle feathers. Table mates were always having a good time and one always, after a few wobbly pops, kept calling me "hey Canuck" since I am Canadian. About the 20th time on the third night of "hey Canuck..." I turned and said "yes Yank?"

She got mad at me for being rude. I'm Canadian so of course I said I was sorry.

Ruffling more feathers I am often surprised at every sentence that begins with or contains the phrase "I'm (insert whatever upper level of cruise status)". On a 2010 cruise on Freedom if the Seas we bumped into a hurricane. I have a picture of the tv monitor showing 108 mph winds measured across the deck. The hurricane blew up out of nowhere. The weather people never saw it coming and the captain got us through it with only minor damage to the liquor store which most bottles tipped over.

The next night a passenger said to me "I'm diamond plus and how dare the captain put us in danger. I will be speaking with him."

Her husband laughed when I asked if the captain lets diamond plus cruisers steer the ship too.

Yes, there does seem to be some obsession with status around here and I know airline staff hate passengers who shove that in their faces. The other half and I have it carefully pre-arranged to chime in simultaneously "we used to be gold elite you know" when pushing our luck with a 'treat me nice' request.

I've mentioned these before on other threads, but, being from Nebraska, a state which is apparently little known, at least on the coasts, we regularly get this comment, or something like it, when we tell someone we are from Nebraska: "Wow, how do you stand those cold dark winters?"

Yes, I realize Alaska and Nebraska rhyme, but we are no where near each other and almost completely dissimilar in every way!

And, sad to say, twice on cruises, when mentioning we were from Nebraska, we got a big-eyed, scared look and and a breathless comment something on these lines: Oh, aren't you scared of the Indians?" (I apologize to all Native Americans). Um, no, not for like 150 years.

Geographically and historically challenged! I will admit that although I think I am pretty good at Geography, I do have some trouble filling in all those little eastern states accurately, even though I've been to all of them, except for New Hampshire--or is it Vermont? Whichever one doesn't have a coastline. See?

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

I can assure you the quotes about the cold pool water and the wave machine did occur and were quite serious in the nature of the discussion.

And yes, I am disapointed in the lack of perspective folks have when they are discussing these things.

Burt

Post #67. Comment on cold air temps in Alaska.

Are you kidding - I'm from Canada (a country which encompasses 9.9 million sq kilometres) and I've gotten "Do you know Joe? He's from Canada." My stock answer is, "Yes I do. Great guy."

I don't know if some people think there's only a couple hundred people up here or what.

Yeah, I had to laugh when I read this -- when I went to live in Senegal, West Africa, in college, my dear mother was in a panic for my safety because there was civil unrest in Kenya!

Still, if you meet someone from anywhere, it can't hurt to ask if they know your buddy -- what if they actually did?? Could happen... :rolleyes: