THEY'RE BRINGING THE PROMENADE BACK!! not on Princess...BUT THEY'RE BRINGING IT BACK!

Rick-cruiser

"real estate" on a ship only has a purpose if it is making money. Promenades do not make money.
Hence the no promenade deck and no central elevator above the 7th floor on the Royal/Regal. They're packing them in as tight as they can. What did the kid say in "Miracle on 34th Street"? "Make a buck, Make a buck" It's the corporate mantra.:(

I have only sailed on Princess Grand class ships with a Promenade. I can't imagine anything else. I could never book on the Royal or Regal for this reason alone. Strolling around the ship is one of my greatest pleasures of cruising. The Island and Coral sound wonderful. If Princess could truly preserve and enhance this feature on their ships, they would have my loyalty forever. :)

Having a promenade would not cause me to pick a ship in and of itself.

Here's where we are different. For this next year I have booked cruise on two other lines in addition to Princess (used to be all Princess), to avoid Royal/Regal because of the lack of a promenade. A really nice one like this would DEFINITELY make me book that ship over, and over. Time on the promenade, and aft decks, is my favorite part of cruising. Watching whales, porpoises, flying fish...or just listening to the ship cutting through the water while I do my daily walk is a big part of what I pay for.

I think there are others who agree.

I know this sounds crazy but my favorite thing to do is walk the promenade deck multiple times every day. I try to do 5 miles every day. I enjoy being able to look out at the sea and just see nothing but waves. It's one of the major reasons I cruise. If a ship does not have a promenade deck I will not be sailing on it. I actually love the Grand class ships with the stairs....just adds a little more cardio to my laps.

This is not crazy at all. Walking around the deck is good exercise and I miss being able to sit on a lounge and read and look out at the water in peace and quiet. I wonder if they are doing this because there are so many cabins with balconies now.

Hence the no promenade deck and no central elevator above the 7th floor on the Royal/Regal. They're packing them in as tight as they can. What did the kid say in "Miracle on 34th Street"? "Make a buck, Make a buck" It's the corporate mantra.:(

I assume you meant "no central staircase" above the 7th deck on Royal/Regal. Even so, the staircase is there, just not open to the public.

I sailed the Royal. I sat on the wide expanse of promenade deck relaxing, sunning and reading. I was able to watch the sea from a full, padded teak lounger on the port and starboard sides as well as the aft. The Promenade is still there for those that enjoy the above. Strolling can only be done the length of the sides if Princess opens the gate behind the lifeboats. :)

I sailed the Royal. I sat on the wide expanse of promenade deck relaxing, sunning and reading. I was able to watch the sea from a full, padded teak lounger on the port and starboard sides as well as the aft. The Promenade is still there for those that enjoy the above. Strolling can only be done the length of the sides if Princess opens the gate behind the lifeboats. :)

The Grand class promenade decks were covered, so one could rest or walk on them in rain or shine. Not so on the Royal/Regal.

The "promenade" as you call it, hardly fits the definition and the gate behind the lifeboats was seldom open. I did the thirty day T/A and I saw it open once. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the loungers but please don't call it a promenade.

prom·e·nade [prom-uh-neyd, -nahd] Show IPA

noun

1. a stroll or walk, especially in a public place, as for pleasure or display.

2. an area used for such walking

The "promenade" as you call it, hardly fits the definition and the gate behind the lifeboats was seldom open. I did the thirty day T/A and I saw it open once. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the loungers but please don't call it a promenade.

noun

Princess currently calls deck 7 Promenade. Perhaps you can send them the definition. I don't require one.

I shared my first hand experience on that deck for informational purposes. It was meant for those who might wish to make use of the deck.

We are looking at cruises now for next winter and have booked one on the Emerald out of Houston. I think our second cruise for next winter will be on a HAL ship because I won't cruise on the Regal as it does not have the promenade deck. I'm sure I am not the only long time Princess cruises who feels this way.

noun

Actually, the Royal and Regal Promenade decks fit this definition ---- on the inside --- as you can walk or stroll from one end of the ship to the other on it.

Nothing in the definition says the area has to be outside where one can smell the fresh sea air and enjoy an ocean view.

Actually, the Royal and Regal Promenade decks fit this definition ---- on the inside --- as you can walk or stroll from one end of the ship to the other on it.

Nothing in the definition says the area has to be outside where one can smell the fresh sea air and enjoy an ocean view.

Years ago, many of the purpose-built TA liners had glass-enclosed promenades that could be opened or closed from the elements depending on weather. Do any areas of the Royal or Regal promenades have this?

Years ago, many of the purpose-built TA liners had glass-enclosed promenades that could be opened or closed from the elements depending on weather. Do any areas of the Royal or Regal promenades have this?

No Princess ship has that.

No Princess ship has that.

Thanks. I thought maybe things were coming full-circle on promenade design.

I couldn't really tell from the pics I've seen if some of the glass area could open on the promenade deck for fresh air. I guess it would be a nightmare from an HVAC standpoint, like with balconies only on a larger scale.

We are looking at cruises now for next winter and have booked one on the Emerald out of Houston. I think our second cruise for next winter will be on a HAL ship because I won't cruise on the Regal as it does not have the promenade deck. I'm sure I am not the only long time Princess cruises who feels this way.

I used to think the same way, but after cruising on the Royal I changed my mind. Give the ship a chance...it's gorgeous. It has all the best Princess has to offer...except the full Promenade...and personally I didn't miss it like I thought I would.

It is good to know that all of those individuals who said that promenades similar to other Princess ships were no longer allowed to be built due to new safety regulations were incorrect.

I personally am one who enjoys and spends a lot of time on the promenade deck.

It is good to know that all of those individuals who said that promenades similar to other Princess ships were no longer allowed to be built due to new safety regulations were incorrect.

This assumption of yours is a bit premature. Costa Diadema (the subject of this thread) is built off of a platform that was approved long before the Concordia accident, and/or any post-accident regulations that may have evolved from that. The first ship in this Dream-class was laid down built in early 2008, and the design was no doubt competed and approved around 2006.

Most all new builds being constructed now and approved off of these supposed new safety regulations have their lifeboats either extended out away from the hull with an exposed promenade deck built on top (Breakaway-class), or deck mounted (Quantum- and Royal-class). Not recessed and suspended above a promenade deck as in the Grand-class.

And if you look at these ships none of them appear to have a full wrap around promenade deck. As in the case of the Costa Diadema (Dream-class ships), all four of the new NCL builds, even the new builds for AIDA, TUI, and RCI (Quantum-class) have either a partial, exposed promenade deck (like the Breakaway-class), exterior porches (like the Royal-class) or none at all.

It's way too early to get excited about the supposed 'return' of promenade decks like those you're used to.

:D

Edited by dmwnc1959

What is disappointing to me about the Royal/Regal design is that there is no place a passenger can get see the view in the front of the ship unless in the Sanctuary or in a forward facing balcony cabin.

I usually enjoy the forward view as the ship enters a port.

I used to think the same way, but after cruising on the Royal I changed my mind. Give the ship a chance...it's gorgeous. It has all the best Princess has to offer...except the full Promenade...and personally I didn't miss it like I thought I would.

If your intent is to lounge, the Royal/Regal promenade is actually a better design. Sitting nearly upright in a chair while people walk and run by is not nearly as comfortable as being reclined in a heavily padded lounger with no one between you and the view of the water.

If you are one of those promenade walkers...well, no, it's not as nice.

In the Princess family, my favorite promenade decks are on the Island and Coral. The perfect width and no steps. But, I have not sailed on every Princess ship.

Loved strolling and lounging on the Coral promenade, quietly cruising the Inside Passage. Deck virtually deserted in the chilly weather. Ah, what a sweet memory.

This assumption of yours is a bit premature. Costa Diadema (the subject of this thread) is built off of a platform that was approved long before the Concordia accident, and/or any post-accident regulations that may have evolved from that. The first ship in this Dream-class was laid down built in early 2008, and the design was no doubt competed and approved around 2006.

Most all new builds being constructed now and approved off of these supposed new safety regulations have their lifeboats either extended out away from the hull with an exposed promenade deck built on top (Breakaway-class), or deck mounted (Quantum- and Royal-class). Not recessed and suspended above a promenade deck as in the Grand-class.

And if you look at these ships none of them appear to have a full wrap around promenade deck. As in the case of the Costa Diadema (Dream-class ships), all four of the new NCL builds, even the new builds for AIDA, TUI, and RCI (Quantum-class) have either a partial, exposed promenade deck (like the Breakaway-class), exterior porches (like the Royal-class) or none at all.

It's way too early to get excited about the supposed 'return' of promenade decks like those you're used to.

:D

Yes, Diadema's lifeboats are hung on the outside of the ship. Her "Promenade" deck is built above the lifeboat davits. (This actually caused problems at some cruise terminals for the original Carnival Dream, because of the added width of the lifeboats.)

Agreed - lifeboat placement has nothing to do with a Promenade deck. Ocean liners used to have a Promenade Deck and a Boat Deck - the latter providing access to life boats. Obviously a Promenade Deck can be provided in a new build along with meeting any new lifeboat access regulations. In this design aspect, Princess missed the mark with Royal and Regal.