THEY'RE BRINGING THE PROMENADE BACK!! not on Princess...BUT THEY'RE BRINGING IT BACK!

Rick-cruiser

Sounds absolutely wonderful..... 16 Feet Wide!....all around the entire ship.... with large mosaics featuring imagery from the Mediterranean Coasts on both sides of the promenade.... Also, "Bars and restaurants overlook the promenade, re-creating the atmosphere of a summertime Mediterranean beach".. Sounds glorious.. A throwback to the old days of cruising....

Here is the link:

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/11240-costa-cruises-costa-diadema-to-feature-a-promenade.html

Yes, too bad it's on one of Costa's new ships, not Princess.. ALTHOUGH.... Princess would do a GREAT DEAL OF GOOD for themselves if they implemented such a beautiful feature on their upcoming ships.. I think this will really take off.... people strolling along the promenade on a nice, wide boardwalk, with the sights and sounds of a lively seaside resort.. Sounds SO nice....

Princess, are you listening?. REALLY listening??

- Rick

Edited by Rick-cruiser

Sounds absolutely wonderful..... 16 Feet Wide!....all around the entire ship.... with large mosaics featuring imagery from the Mediterranean Coasts on both sides of the promenade.... Also, "Bars and restaurants overlook the promenade, re-creating the atmosphere of a summertime Mediterranean beach".. Sounds glorious.. A throwback to the old days of cruising....

Here is the link:

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/11240-costa-cruises-costa-diadema-to-feature-a-promenade.html

Yes, too bad it's on one of Costa's new ships, not Princess.. ALTHOUGH.... Princess would do a GREAT DEAL OF GOOD for themselves if they implemented such a beautiful feature on their upcoming ships.. I think this will really take off.... people strolling along the promenade on a nice, wide boardwalk, with the sights and sounds of a lively seaside resort.. Sounds SO nice....

Princess, are you listening?. REALLY listening??

Well, since Carnival Corp.'s new mantra is all about collaboration between the brands, we may see this design on future Princess ships...

ALTHOUGH.... Princess would do a GREAT DEAL OF GOOD for themselves if they implemented such a beautiful feature on their upcoming ships.. I think this will really take off.... people strolling along the promenade on a nice, wide boardwalk, with the sights and sounds of a lively seaside resort.. Sounds SO nice....

Princess, are you listening?. REALLY listening??.

Yes it does sound nice and your sharing your opinion is appreciated, but I for one don't think it would be worth the effort. Basically this would involve an entire re-design, probably bringing in a new class of ship. The time, research and expense involved is just mind boggling. Having a promenade would not cause me to pick a ship in and of itself. Is there some factual research information you have to back up your statement that they would "do a great deal of good for themselves"? I would be curious to read the study.

Two notes - one, the article does not indicate its a wrap around promenade.

Second, did you notice all the for-fee venues added to it? Teppanyaki, Cabana rentals, club restaurant.. It's not a stroll promenade like Princess had, its more an outdoor mall/boardwalk. "7 restaurants, including four, the Club Restaurant, Samsara Restaurant, Tappanyaki Restaurant and Piazza Pizza Pizzeria for an additional charge (lunch and dinner in the Samsara Restaurant are included in the price for Guests staying in the Samsara Cabins) and by reservation only"

Not even sure its on both sides of the ship, have not been able to find updated deck plans.

Cabanas will also be for pay most likely.

Be careful what you wish for, you may get it.

Two notes - one, the article does not indicate its a wrap around promenade.

Second, did you notice all the for-fee venues added to it? Teppanyaki, Cabana rentals, club restaurant.. It's not a stroll promenade like Princess had, its more an outdoor mall/boardwalk. "7 restaurants, including four, the Club Restaurant, Samsara Restaurant, Tappanyaki Restaurant and Piazza Pizza Pizzeria for an additional charge (lunch and dinner in the Samsara Restaurant are included in the price for Guests staying in the Samsara Cabins) and by reservation only"

Not even sure its on both sides of the ship, have not been able to find updated deck plans.

Cabanas will also be for pay most likely.

Be careful what you wish for, you may get it.

Since the ship itself is just over 1000 feet long and the promenade is billed as being over 1600 feet, I figure it has to be at least on both sides although I agree it can't be determined if it wraps around.

People shouldn't denigrate Costa in general (not implying you did but others do). IMHO their ships are nice (although Italian gaudy) and the basic layout is good. If Carnival Corp does share designs, the meat on the bones could be revised to reflect the style of Princess, much like P&O did taking the Royal's design and revising it to be a P&O ship.

This new Costa ship, the Costa Diadema, is a Dream-class ship. As in Carnival Dream, Carnival Magic, and Carnival Breeze. For pictures of what the promenade deck and lifeboat arrangement will be based on, just check out one of those ships.

Costa Diadema

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Dream_class_cruise_ship

14466783615_ede1cdcf7e_c.jpg

14487018693_6eeb131e2b_c.jpg

(Credit pictures to Aldo Cavallini)

:D

Edited by dmwnc1959

I have not been on a Costa ship, but I do like a promenade deck , always enjoy walking the deck and being out there in the shade, when we go through the P canal we always spend some time out there for a close up look, wish Princess would go back to the regular promenade deck.

Cori

I love my promenade deck, too. Thing is..... I was researching one of the Carnival dream class ships with a lot of stuff on the promenade and it was nice enough, but it wasn't so great for people on their balconies. It wasn't that appealing to me to sit on my balcony and have a bunch of people under me eating lunch and frolicking in a hot tub. Hopefully this link will work. I'm thinking this design is probably similar to what Costa is planning. Not sure I'd like it. You can google other images.

http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com/nf80623a.jpg

This actually sounds similar to NCL's two newest ships, Breakaway and Getaway. I was so excited to sail on Breakaway, as they advertised these very appealing looking areas, but I was very disappointed. Yes, there were restaurants and bars that opened onto the promenade, I think they called it the Boardwalk. But, they were extra charge restaurants that were not open during the day, only for dinner. A couple times when we went to one of the bars in the evening, there was no one there serving, and we wound up leaving. It seemed very under utilized at dinner time, perhaps because it was sometimes chilly or windy while the ship was sailing. And, the lifeboats were right below, so it was hard to find a spot where you could look over into the water, as in most places, the lifeboats were blocking the view. It sounds great, but what we experienced on NCL was disappointing.

I know this sounds crazy but my favorite thing to do is walk the promenade deck multiple times every day. I try to do 5 miles every day. I enjoy being able to look out at the sea and just see nothing but waves. It's one of the major reasons I cruise. If a ship does not have a promenade deck I will not be sailing on it. I actually love the Grand class ships with the stairs....just adds a little more cardio to my laps.