Question about a cup of tea..

helenandfrank

..my wife can't start the day without a couple of cups of tea (nothing fancy, just plain old tea with a touch of milk). As best as we can work out there are no tea / coffee facilities in-room and it seems a bit over the top to ask room service to bring a cup of tea. So... is there somewhere quiet we can go for a cup of tea reasonably early / before breakfast each day (if so, suggestions appreciated) and how do we pay (..do we pay separately for a cup of tea not consumed with a meal?). We are on-board Zuiderdam in cabin 6102 from 23 August this year, and we will be purchasing Signature Beverage Package for 2.

Any advice most appreciated. Thank you

There is no charge, either, if you want to order a pot of tea for two to be delivered to your room bright and early! There will be a breakfast order form in your room, and you might even be tempted to order a chocolate croissant or two, as well. Most people say they try to have a dollar or so nearby to tip when the steward arrives with your order, but even that is not required.

When you place a room service order either by the hang tag card your steward will leave each evening or by telephone be sure to tell them exactly what you want. If you want milk with your tea, indicate it. Same for sugar, lemon etc

If you want chocolate vs plain croissant, say so. :) They are very literal and bring exactly what is asked for.

Bring your own tea bags.

The challenge with room service tea is that the water is never boiling hot. It is just hot and that does not make for a good cup of tea. Same in the Lido from time to time.

HAL has their own brand of black tea, plus, I recall several commercial brands: Lipton, or Attlee, and sometimes Twining's. Being very particular, I bring mg own Lapsang.

In any case room service will deliver any such order - no charge, but it is customary to give the person bringing it a dollar or so tip. Alternatively, you can go to the Lido any time and get your own tea and bring it back to your cabin.

..my wife can't start the day without a couple of cups of tea (nothing fancy, just plain old tea with a touch of milk). As best as we can work out there are no tea / coffee facilities in-room and it seems a bit over the top to ask room service to bring a cup of tea. So... is there somewhere quiet we can go for a cup of tea reasonably early / before breakfast each day (if so, suggestions appreciated) and how do we pay (..do we pay separately for a cup of tea not consumed with a meal?). We are on-board Zuiderdam in cabin 6102 from 23 August this year, and we will be purchasing Signature Beverage Package for 2.

Any advice most appreciated. Thank you

I zoomed-in one of my Lido Restaurant images on my website and found the following teas at the Beverage Station:

Orange Spice

Earl Gray

Jasmine Green

English Tea Time

Green

Cinnamon Stick

Sweet Dreams

Cinnamon Apple

Chamomile

Mint Medley

Darjeeling

Lemon

Black

Another option is to fill a thermos with hot water from the Lido Beverage Station before you retire for the evening and you can make tea at whatever time you awaken before your breakfast arrives. You can get an extra carton of milk with your breakfast and keep it in your minibar or get a cup of milk at the Beverage Station while you are getting your hot water.

Whatever line we cruise with - We like to breakfast in the main dining room on sea days but need our first cups of morning coffee like your wife needs her tea :)

For those mornings ( ordered the night before using the order form the steward leaves in our cabin) we order coffee and juice via room service. It's wonderful to start the day already feeling pampered.

They also have pg tips in a little canister next to the tea chest.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I give up. What are pg tips? I'm fairly certain they have nothing to do with gratuities in the steak house. :D

I REALLY LIKE THE INDONESIAN SPICE TEA THAT IS SERVED AT THE INDONESIAN TEAS AT 4 PM IN MDR. THE WAITERS ARE DRESSED IN THEIR NATIVE COSTUMES, OFFER REG. TEA TREATS ALONG WITH SOME OF THEIR COUNTRY'S SWEETS AND INDONESIAN MUSIC IS PLAYED. DON'T MISS IT.

(Please try one of their native sweets. The waiters will love you forever!):)

Bring your own tea bags.

The challenge with room service tea is that the water is never boiling hot. It is just hot and that does not make for a good cup of tea. Same in the Lido from time to time.

Even on Cunard you can't get a decent cuppa in your room since Carnival bought the firm. (This isn't an excuse for an anti-Carnival rant; without Carnival the three "Queens" most likely wouldn't exist.) There are no tea-pots; we are expected to use the somewhat hot water in the thermos to brew the tea in a cup. Those in Queen's Grill suites can ask the butler to please provide a tea-pot, but regular room service doesn't appear to have any.

Hal's brand of tea is great...ordered room service one afternoon after getting soaked coming back to the ship....think it was darjeeling...was in a blue and white bag...anyway...great taste:):):)

Agree. The HAL branded darjeeling is a good tea.

Still do not understand why no kettles or little coffee makers in the rooms. It can't be a fire issue, as other lines have it. It would save them trouble. Room service coffee requires the labor to deliver it, the china, silver, linens on the tray, etc. plus the labor to pick up the used trays. Any little pot now have auto shut-off. I know it is a touch of elegance, but would cut down on their costs, in this age of cut-backs. I guess downside from HAL viewpoint is the room steward may have some more clean-up to do, and folks would probably steal the pots. They could at least start a test on one category of rooms on one ship and see how it goes.

Rant over! :)