Please help with a RCCL and CCL Comparison, I am torn.

js

Please for those that have been on both, can you please help me.

Although money is a factor, it is not if one does not compare to the other, KWIM:

I am looking between Breeze and Oasis.

For Carnival Breeze in July 2015:

I am looking at 2 cabins, both Cove balconies.

One a double, one a triple.

For Oasis in July 2015:

I am looking at 2 cabins, both double and triple.

Boardwalk View Balcony

The total for 2 cabins on the Breeze is $1390 so $1400 price difference (lower) than the Oasis.

Oasis is one more night of cruising.

$700 per cabin more.

I have a 21 year old daughter and a 17 year old son. Along with my 68 year old mom.

We enjoy going to the specialty restaurants over MDR.

My dh enjoys listening to a Blues Band or a bar with a more intimate feel while my dd likes the club scene and I enjoy both.

My son will meet kids in the club so he should be okay.

One more 7 nighter on RCCL, I'll be Diamond so I am familiar with the cruiseline.

I've done 2 Carnival Ships, Sensation (when they gave NYPD FANTASTIC rate for 9/11 responders) and the Dream the summer it first came out (which we all had a great time).

I feel I can't ask on the RCCL board since it is more biased and just know all will tell me not Carnival LOL ggggrrr but maybe I will.

If you have been on both, which I think some have, I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Edited by js

Oh..wait until some of the replies come in here...you'd think THIS is also the RCCL forum.

I'm not one for long drawn out comparisons, I'll just say going in, I doubt I'd pay $1400 more for any cruise over another unless there was something really insanely special about the higher cost cruise, but some may/will come on and say they'd pay $1400 more to sail on the Oasis over the Breeze. I've sailed the Breeze twice and Oasis once. If cost were the same, I may sail the Oasis again, it is a great ship...but way to big for us...tons to do, but a disconnect from the ocean for us.

Oh..wait until some of the replies come in here...you'd think THIS is also the RCCL forum.

I'm not one for long drawn out comparisons, I'll just say going in, I doubt I'd pay $1400 more for any cruise over another unless there was something really insanely special about the higher cost cruise, but some may/will come on and say they'd pay $1400 more to sail on the Oasis over the Breeze. I've sailed the Breeze twice and Oasis once. If cost were the same, I may sail the Oasis again, it is a great ship...but way to big for us...tons to do, but a disconnect from the ocean for us.

Thank you. We like bigger.

I guess every line has their cheerleaders but I really am a straightforward kind of gal and

just appeciate hearing from those that have done both and why they would chose one over the other. Thank you. I appreciate your taking the time to help me :)

I can tell you cove balconies are wonderful. So close to the water. I'd pick that any day over a boardwalk view.

Yes, all things equal, I would choose that too.

When we sailed on the Dream, we had a regular balcony cabin and an inside for the kids.

Would definatley love the Cove but that can't be my deciding factor. Really not a factor unless I was choosing an inside over a Cove. My dh is a balcony snob and won't sail in anything less OMG LOL

I've never been on RCCL, not that I wouldn't want to try it, but I have to say that I wouldn't want one of those boardwalk balconies. I choose a balcony to have private space and to look at the ocean. Anyone can look at you on your boardwalk balcony, and I'm sure it would be noisy. I think I'd prefer an ocean view to a balcony with no privacy and an inside view. I would love to try a cove balcony on Carnival. I think it would be amazing to be that close to the water. However, just from what I've read on Cruise Critic, your younger cruisers might prefer the activities and amenities on the RCCL ship. Why don't you ask them what they'd prefer?

Although money is a factor, it is not if one does not compare to the other, KWIM:

For Oasis in July 2015:

Boardwalk View Balcony

The total for 2 cabins on the Breeze is $1390 so $1400 price difference (lower) than the Oasis.

$700 per cabin more.

I have a 21 year old daughter and a 17 year old son. Along with my 68 year old mom.

My dh enjoys listening to a Blues Band or a bar with a more intimate feel while my dd likes the club scene and I enjoy both.

One more 7 nighter on RCCL, I'll be Diamond so I am familiar with the cruiseline.

I've done 2 Carnival Ships, Sensation (when they gave NYPD FANTASTIC rate for 9/11 responders) and the Dream the summer it first came out (which we all had a great time).

I feel I can't ask on the RCCL board since it is more biased and just know all will tell me not Carnival LOL ggggrrr but maybe I will.

If you have been on both, which I think some have, I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Oasis and Allure are in a class all alone. You really have to experience one of those ships to know what I mean.

I have sailed on both. I have a review of our sailing on the Oasis posted both here and on the RCCL main board. Since pricing is not the same, I would choose Breeze - easily. While the Oasis is quite a ship and they handle the people well, we felt it not worth the price difference and all the "extras" you had to pay for. My 2 cents.

I've been on both Carnival and RCCL, and they are similar packages with different emphasis.

I have not been on the Breeze nor the Oasis class, so this is somewhat conjecture on my part.

Someone else said it best, the Oasis is in a class of its own. The Breeze maybe Carnival's new ship, but their amenities are nowhere near the Oasis Class. Royal Caribbean generally wins out over ship amenities.

The Oasis has a full 100K gross tons over the Breeze. That's a whole another ship inside the Breeze.

That being said, if money is not a big factor, go with Oasis. If you can't justify the up-charge for the Oasis class, you'd still be happy with the Breeze.

Ok, you have a $1400 difference that does not include excursions and such. I like both brands, but for me it would come down to... is this cruise about the ship as the destination or about the ports? Then I would weight special dinning on both. I love RCCL's Izumi.... mmm but I also eat a lot in the MDR of which I prefer Carnival.

Oasis is a destination if of itself but as stated above, 1400, can go a long way for shore excursions, shopping and such that would not be in "addition to" to the fare on Oasis.

What about a freedom class ship, those prices have to be comparable to Carnival? I guess I would ask why the Oasis specifically which I am assuming you are leaning to the ship as the destination?

Carnival however, i love... the party atmosphere, deck parties, food and the "fun feel" they have and a rope course is not much against all the frills of Oasis, but then again, that is not the point of Carnival... to me both are great vacations but for me Carnival feels more like a cruise.

I am rambling... bottom line you have to weigh what is more important and what the 1400 could best be used for if you can give up a bit of the "ship as a destination"

Edited by mrBit

For Oasis in July 2015:

Boardwalk View Balcony

$700 per cabin more.

Been on many of the 2 lines, but not on the Breeze. You're comparing the least expensive week for the Breeze against the most expensive for the Oasis. Thus the big price difference. If you went in September, the Breeze is actually more than Oasis.

I have sailed on both. I have a review of our sailing on the Oasis posted both here and on the RCCL main board. Since pricing is not the same, I would choose Breeze - easily. While the Oasis is quite a ship and they handle the people well, we felt it not worth the price difference and all the "extras" you had to pay for. My 2 cents.

what extras on Oasis did you have to pay for that you got free on Carnival?

We sailed on the Dream and the Allure the same year. We had a boardwalk view window on the Allure and a standard balcony on the Dream. The cost of the Allure cruise was basically double what we paid for the Dream cruise.

We LOVED our Allure cruise and it was superior to our Dream cruise in so many aspects. We are glad that we had a chance to experience it, even if it cost twice as much. We felt that the added cost was justified since it was our first time on an Oasis class ship.

With that said, now that we've "been there, done that" I would NOT pay that much to sail on an Oasis ship again. We'd definitely pay a premium for the experience, but not 2 times as much.

Even though the experience on the Dream paled in comparison to the experience on the Allure, we still had a VERY enjoyable and relaxing time. I wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again (or consequentially on the Breeze) specially if the price is right.

BTW, reviews for both cruises are linked in my signature.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

We have cruised on both Carnival and RCCL ... that's not really comparing ships because Oasis is in a class of her own.

I'd pick Oasis because there is so very much to do and it would be a shame not to experience the opportunity to sail on her at least once. :)

LuLu

If you look at my signature you can see that I am not loyal to just one cruise line. However, for me cabin location and pricing are two major factors for me personally. I would choose the Breeze over the Oasis because I want to have an oceanview balcony AND the $1,400 savings would go a long way toward specialty dining and shorex.

It will really come down in what your priorities are.

I've been on the Freedom of the Seas, but not the Oasis. I've been on the Breeze three times. I don't know if that qualifies me, but here goes:

The Breeze will be "thin" on specialty restaurants with just the Steak house and the Cucina del Capitano (Italian). That's it. On the other hand, the Ferengie burgers on Carnival are free while Johnny Rockets on RCCL is extra. (Yeah... I know, it's Guy Fieri, but I'm sure they're Ferengie burgers) I like Johnny Rockets better even if you have to pay for it. (I'm gunna get crucified by the Fieri fans.) As far as the main dining room goes, I like Carnival better because it tends more to "regular" food... RCCL tends more toward gourmet. (I'm just a grazer.)

The Oasis will have better day time activities on board. I love the Flowrider (Flowrider of the Seas). I spent hours getting my share of bumps and bruises on the Flowrider, and it was the second most fun thing I've ever done on board a ship. They also have ice-skating which seems bizarre on a Caribbean cruise, but that's just me. Of course there is the rockwall RCCL is known for. The Oasis also has an on board zip-line. And I think you can even get certified to SCUBA dive through the ship.

That said, Carnival has far better evening entertainment. When I mentioned the "second most fun" on board, I know what you were thinking was the first... but that's not it. The most fun ever was in the Piano Bar on board the Breeze. Of course the great Ron Pass was there and he no longer performs regularly on cruises. But the Carnival Piano bars are still most often the highlight of cruisin' Carnival for me. There is also a disco, usually a rock & roll band, and nightly "club" type venues to enjoy to the wee hours of the morning. (On the Flowrider of the Seas they seem to roll up the sidewalks on the mall (Royal Promenade) early in the evening.

The Breeze goes more places than the Oasis so you have more options to choose from. Of course you may like where the Oasis goes better. In general, the square footage of the cabins of the Breeze is larger than the Oasis... although some of the high-end Oasis cabins are much bigger than anything on the Breeze... of course for a much bigger price.

I don't suppose I've helped much. The problem is that the worst I've been on was wonderful. I suppose that for me it would come down to four things...

1. Daytime entertainment (Flowrider of the Seas) vs Night entertainment (Carnival)

2. Food in the MDR (Carnival) vs Specialty availability (Flowrider of the Seas)

3. Where the ship is going (It's all good)

4. Price

If you look at my cruise list, the decisions I have made are obvious. That said, I sure would like to go back on Flowrider of the Seas.

Bob

Searching for Kokomo

I would not pay that much more for one more day at sea. Plus, we found the Oasis to big. Everything we wanted to do was on the other end of the ship, or way up top. We just did alot more walking and I have to do less and less of that. Unless your with the younger crowd, and love all that exercise. I doubt that you get that much more "ship" going Oasis than Breeze, I would stick with Carnival. I have been on 11 Carnival and 6 RCL cruises so I know a little about both. lol

Just got off the Oasis of the Seas this past March, with my family including my DD (22) and DS (24). I've been on multiple Carnival cruises, but not the Breeze. I agree with Tapi, in that the Oasis class needs to be experienced once. I paid extra to go during Spring Break, over other ships, but wanted my family to experience it. The entertainment, both during the day and night, blows away anything Carnival has. The food is a draw, but we liked the Oasis MDR food better than Carnival. But, not enough to sway me. The Oasis buffet (Windjammer) was not very good, but there are many other free places to eat (Wipeout Cafe, Park Cafe, Solarium Cafe, etc.). Giovanni's Table was excellent. Hunger never reared its ugly head, on either line. The Oasis ship is incredible. That being said, I'll probably never go again on that class again, unless it becomes more economical. It is definitely something to be experienced. If you can swing the $1400, then I would recommend doing it. Your kids will have a blast. And so will you.

what extras on Oasis did you have to pay for that you got free on Carnival?

Not so much what I paid as what I could have paid for. Examples: fresh squeezed OJ in windjammer in the morning 2.95, Johnny rockets 6.95, bag of popcorn for the outside movie 3.00, upscale items in the main dining room 25 - 30.00. Room service 1-5 am I don't remember how much. We just got the nickel and dime'd feeling.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Not so much what I paid as what I could have paid for. Examples: fresh squeezed OJ in windjammer in the morning 2.95, Johnny rockets 6.95, bag of popcorn for the outside movie 3.00, upscale items in the main dining room 25 - 30.00. Room service 1-5 am I don't remember how much. We just got the nickel and dime'd feeling.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

so what's wrong with choices? Hardly nickle and dimed when the pay for items are extras that aren't missed unless you pay

I've been on Carnival Dream and RC Allure. Dream was my first Carnival cruise. It's a little like comparing Apples to Oranges. Allure was huge but it is divided into different areas and oddly never felt crowded anywhere. There are more choices of free dining on Allure than smaller RC ships so that was never a problem. I would not want a Boardwalk balcony though. It was noisy and lots of food smells mxed together. Johnny Rockets, Italian Resturant. and hot dogs. I'd get a Central Park balcony if your doing that. The entertainment was also far above what the Dream had with so many different shows. But saying that, I also enjoyed the Dream. I love my balcony's and that's part of cruising for me. Dream had a lot to offer and we enjoyed it a lot. I'm going on the Breeze in August so that tells you I liked Carnival. I think there is plenty to do on Breeze to keep you all busy. We did the Allure once and I'm glad we got to experience it but for that price difference I wouldn't choose it again. Only you can decide if it's worth that much difference in price. If your hoping for a really memorable experience before your kids leave home and you can afford it then go for it. But I'm one of these that tells parents with young children that they should take them on a Disney cruise at least once.