O'Sheehan's - questions about charges

Hikini

t is the same as people choosing the specialty dining rooms or choose to spend money at the spa; everyone has to decide on their own budget and where they want to put their extra bucks.
Apples and oranges.

The whole point was to make sure people do understand that the exact same ice cream is offered for free elsewhere. That's all. I'm sorry that for some bizarre reason that threatens some. The point is that you can pay or not pay for the same thing, whichever you choose for whatever reasons. A lot of people didn't know that it's the same ice cream. Hopefully some of them do know that now.

I have this GREAT idea! How about if NCL can charge what they want for where they want and pax can go where they want and pay for what they want and not pay for what they don't want?

Exactly! Someone who gets it! Thank you.

Well, of course they can. But then NCL shouldn't be upset when passengers complain about a "nickeled and dimed" feeling on their line and jump to other lines. The silliness of charging for ice cream that is free in some venues is one of those dumb things that probably turns more people off than brings in $.

So worth it! Banana Split :) I took it to go, ate it in my cabin.

utemytyr.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's looks like a "don't bother to eat dinner because its too much" meal. ;)

No offense if the above can be pulled together for free, go for it. If not, $3 (especially if you're not going to be eating sundaes often on a 7 day course) is not going to kill anybody in the grand scheme of things. Especially since sundaes from the Mr. Softee trucks in NYC go for $4.50-10, $3 doesn't look so bad to NYer like me. :rolleyes:

That's looks like a "don't bother to eat dinner because its too much" meal. ;)

No offense if the above can be pulled together for free, go for it. If not, $3 (especially if you're not going to be eating sundaes often on a 7 day course) is not going to kill anybody in the grand scheme of things. Especially since sundaes from the Mr. Softee trucks in NYC go for $4.50-10, $3 doesn't look so bad to NYer like me. :rolleyes:

exactly. if you got one for every night of your cruise, it still would only be 21.00! LIVE AND LET LIVE! I personally like how there are all sorts of for free and for fee options! I remember being on the Allure being at the Solarium bar late at night, drinking with friends, wishing there was a snack option, even if we had to pay for it. and looks like O'Sheehans will be a perfect place for that for us!

Well, of course they can. But then NCL shouldn't be upset when passengers complain about a "nickeled and dimed" feeling on their line and jump to other lines. The silliness of charging for ice cream that is free in some venues is one of those dumb things that probably turns more people off than brings in $.

If someone is going to get that upset about paying $3 for a sundae let them sail on another line:).

I know going to get flamed for this one but here goes:

One only gets "nickeled and dimed" if you want to be "nickeled and dimed" because a cruise trip has "complimentary" meals and drinks included. What's complimentary depends on the cruise line, so if it known that ice cream is not included in the fare for NCL - you can decided to either buy or don't. Same thing with drinks; if soda is not included in the fare; you have a choice to buy it in a package, pay for it every time you're craving it or don't buy it at all. Choice is up to the passenger - buy or don't buy. Willpower or no willpower to not spend; budget in or budget out for "nickeled or dimed" extras. If the customer wants to pay for it, that fine; if they don't, that's fine too. There's really no reason to knock or be upset at someone for paying / not paying something, especially when its their money and they are free to do with it as they please.

If someone is going to get that upset about paying $3 for a sundae let them sail on another line:).

Again, you miss the point. It's just ANOTHER example of NCL nickel and diming the 'valued' passengers. The only value a passenger has to NCL is how deep they can pick their pocket.

Again, you miss the point. It's just ANOTHER example of NCL nickel and diming the 'valued' passengers. The only value a passenger has to NCL is how deep they can pick their pocket.

And yet again, just like any other cruise line or any other business- they offer a service for a fee and the customer can purchase the service or not as they choose. I wonder why you bother to choose to sail with NCL at all given how you feel about them. I know that if I felt that way about any company they'd be the last ones that I would want to do business with.

So if NCL stops charging for the ice cream it will solve the problem, got it;). Some people do have a problem but that doesn't mean the rest of us need to have our choices limited as a result.

of course it will make a difference: 5 ice creams at $3.00 would be a total of $15. So each person in the cabin would cast the family $15. WOW, now that is really going to make a huge difference in the end of the week. LOL

As so many of us are saying, and some do not understand: no one is being forced to pay extra and I don't really think, if someone chooses not to get that sundae because of the cost, their cruise will be ruined. Right?

Maybe some people need to do nothing but AI vacations. Then they won't have to make choices on where they spend their money. For those who are so upset, remember, until about 9 years ago there was nothing like Blue Lagoon and we did just fine.

That menu is outdated at least for Breakaway. No sundae on "free" menu. Apple pie, strawberry shortcake & chocolate brownie cheesecake now.

I make a good living but still wouldn't pay for a sundae on a cruise. Even at $3. It is silly there is a charge for an item that is free at the buffet or main dining rooms.

and you don't have to pay; just find something that is free or continue to eat in the buffet and MDRs. I don't know how many years you have been cruising, but until 15 years or so ago, we all were content with MDR eating and maybe a buffet with very limited hours. Then NCL added Le Bistro, other lines followed; from there, we now have so many choices we have gotten very spoiled...

As for nickel and diming, why don't you just try another line that you think will not nickel and dime you; then come back and tell us about all the free stuff they have. You know 24 hour coffee shops that are free completely, cheaper spa prices, less expensive specialty dining, better and less expensive entertainment and on and on.

Edited by newmexicoNita

And yet again, just like any other cruise line or any other business- they offer a service for a fee and the customer can purchase the service or not as they choose. I wonder why you bother to choose to sail with NCL at all given how you feel about them. I know that if I felt that way about any company they'd be the last ones that I would want to do business with.

I am beginning to think she/he does not sail NCL anymore, just won't admit it!!! No one would choose to sail a line that they dislike that much!!!

I personally don't feel nickel & dimed on NCL. But it is a VERY common piece of feedback from passengers. By doing things like charging for ice cream in one venue when it is free a deck or two above, they add to that perception. It is a turn-off. It isn't about the $3.

I will continue to cruise when the cost is right or other circumstances bring me to it ( parents love it, so I join them sometimes, teen nephew adores cruising so I go to bring him, etc) but it isn't my favorite. I do prefer land vacations especially AIs. I think when you add everything up for a cruise, it generally becomes a wash cost-wise and the food, service, inclusions, lack of kids and the big pools/spaces make the AI much better.

Edited by conandrob240

Wait until NCL comes out with the UICP. Unlimited Ice Cream Package. :D

$20/week get unlimited icecream/dessert from any specialty dining venue.

Can you say "yum!" I'd totally haul it all back to my room, and put it in the mini fridge haha

• 3 weeks later...
So worth it! Banana Split :) I took it to go, ate it in my cabin.

utemytyr.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the picture that was supposed to be on my last post. Yum!!