O'Sheehan's - questions about charges

Hikini

I think putting people into two separate categories really isn't fair. I am by no means poor but also I am not rolling in it. Since I haven't been on ncl I can't say for sure they aren't trying to "scoop up extra money" but they are a business and like some people have said, icecream isn't available at all times on the free locations. Ncl is a business and yes, they will try to scoop up my dollars, and other peoples dollars for extra things. There is nothing wrong with that. I am just saying 3.00 for a milkshake is reasonable. I can't get a milkshake where I live for 3.00

That frame of mind is what separates people with money and people who are struggling. It's the new generation. As I said, NCL is more than happy to scoop up those three bucks for something that is free just a few yards away.

agreed and if $3 is going to break you, I think there might be a better vacation than cruising. We are not huge sweet eaters so I would never pay extra but for those who want to, go for it and enjoy. I would like to know how many people know of good places on land that charge much less than $3 for sundaes or shakes? .

If there is a place on land charging $3 for a sundae, and a place on land just steps away that has that exact same sundae for free, I can tell you which I am going to get, regardless of how much money is in my pocket.

If there is a place on land charging $3 for a sundae, and a place on land just steps away that has that exact same sundae for free, I can tell you which I am going to get, regardless of how much money is in my pocket.

And some people will pay more to have the gas station attendant pump the gas while others use self-serve- some people will pay to let someone else do it. It doesn't take away from my cruise experience at all letting people have a choice.

That frame of mind is what separates people with money and people who are struggling. It's the new generation. As I said, NCL is more than happy to scoop up those three bucks for something that is free just a few yards away.

If you are not one of the "people with money" and you are "struggling"... why would you be on a cruise? Just saying...

But it's not steps away - it's several floors away. If you are sitting there, maybe watching some entertainment going on below, and have a hankering for a milkshake or sundae, you might think it's worth the $3 (I don't think I can get an ice cream cone for under $5 here).

If DH and I go out to a movie, sometimes we might stop for a drink on the way home (5 minute drive) vs. just having a drink at home for a lot cheaper. It's about the atmosphere.

OMG !!!!!!!!!! You just made my day !!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU !!!!!!!!! It was stated before that O' Sheehan's now charge for the famous brownie sundae & cheese cake. I see this is NOT so. Other sundae's yes. My son & I are on the 14 day sailing on the Dawn in November, & I could not justify spending over $150.00 on brownie sundae's. How did I come up with this figure you ask????? Well, my son orders 2 each night after teens club ends, I have one each day (yummy) so 3 a day X's 14 days=42 @ ??????? $4.00 each (just a guess) totals $168.00. WOW !!!!! Good thing I'm not taking 6 kids with me. LOL**** Ahhhhhhh the little things in life !!!!!!!! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for posting the desert menu, as this was not posted before!!!!!!! (that I saw)

YOU just made my morning! LOL! and... you're right, those brownie sundaes are good..:)

I see that someone had to eat one of the cherries before the picture was taken;).

Haha.... I know I couldn't wait to get to the cabin :D It was Spare rib night I brought those to the cabin too, They were great! Try not to miss them.

Edited by monkeybone

Reference the ice cream offers.........you can go to the buffet and have as many scoops of ice cream as you wish, as often as you wish, with as many toppings as you wish.....for free. Or sit and eat soft serve for hours if you wish....for free. I've wondered how much ice cream O'Sheehans really sells?

We order one scoop of ice cream on two separate days both waiters said no charge for one scoop. We were on the BA not sure about other ships.

Some people also prefer real ice cream. I hate to inform people but the soft serve stuff is ice milk. I like it too but for only $4 to get a banana split with real ice cream is better than anything ice cream related at the buffet IMHO.

Edited by david_sobe

Some people also prefer real ice cream. I hate to inform people but the soft serve stuff is ice milk. I like it too but for only $4 to get a banana split with real ice cream is better than anything ice cream related at the buffet IMHO.

I agree totally. I mean when I am sunbathing on the deck and the soft serve is there, I'll eat it. But I prefer the good stuff and if in going to have the calories, its going to be awesome...not that I count calories on vacation [emoji3]

Don't know about the other ships, but the buffett on the Getaway does have soft serve, but also has several flavors of hard dipped ice cream. The pistachio was divine. It's exactly the same ice cream that is offered at O'Sheehans, except that for a sundae you'd have to put it all together yourself, which some might not like.

Edited by LrgPizza

If you can get the same quality of sundae for free as for $3 go for it. No one is forcing anyone to buy something they don't want but the point here is: the price is not much considering how much most of us pay for cruising. I am not a huge sweets eater so I probably would not buy a Sundae but for those who do; what is the problem? It is the same as people choosing the specialty dining rooms or choose to spend money at the spa; everyone has to decide on their own budget and where they want to put their extra bucks.

Credit debt. Americans are drowning in it. The point of my comment.

So if NCL stops charging for the ice cream it will solve the problem, got it;). Some people do have a problem but that doesn't mean the rest of us need to have our choices limited as a result.

When eating in the MDR, sometimes we order some ice cream to go with whatever other dessert is on the menu. When we tried to do that in O'Sheehan's they told us they'd have to charge for it. That is what makes me sad about this: the exact same thing (a scoop of vanilla ice cream, probably from exactly the same manufacturer) is free in one venue but a for-charge item in another venue on the same ship.

Other than that, they can go for it if they want to. We have so many outstanding ice cream choices here in the Boston area, I don't feel the need typically to order ice cream in other places. Except soft serve... that I like.

That menu is outdated at least for Breakaway. No sundae on "free" menu. Apple pie, strawberry shortcake & chocolate brownie cheesecake now.

I make a good living but still wouldn't pay for a sundae on a cruise. Even at $3. It is silly there is a charge for an item that is free at the buffet or main dining rooms.

When eating in the MDR, sometimes we order some ice cream to go with whatever other dessert is on the menu. When we tried to do that in O'Sheehan's they told us they'd have to charge for it. That is what makes me sad about this: the exact same thing (a scoop of vanilla ice cream, probably from exactly the same manufacturer) is free in one venue but a for-charge item in another venue on the same ship.

Other than that, they can go for it if they want to. We have so many outstanding ice cream choices here in the Boston area, I don't feel the need typically to order ice cream in other places. Except soft serve... that I like.

Aww that stinks, On the BA they did not charge us for 1 scoop and my son and friend got a scoop on the apple pies no extra charge for them either.

They did charge for my Banana Split........Like I said that was so worth the extra money after a hot day at the beach, It was delish!

Edited by monkeybone