Threated to be put on "no-sail" list by staff ro wanting my money back

I don't know why people are questioning the amount of the price drop. On one of our cruises on Independence, when you could still get price drops anytime before the sailing date, we caught a $700.00 price drop on each cabin and got $1400.00 back. A $1000.00 price drop on a cabin is not difficult to imagine.

Thank you all for the insite and interesting comments. Sorry for being such a "newbie". For those of you interested in the deal it is Navigator of the seas. August 17-24. Catagory H room. Was 539 on ********** this morning. Yes it was a $1000 for me on two rooms with 5 people. RCL confirmed that. Yes I am now jist hoping for an upgrade.:)

Ranger, all of us were newbies once and most of us have felt your pain and frustration on some reservation or another. Sometimes we score with the price we pay, and sometimes we get POed when prices drop after final payment and there's nothing we can do except buy ourselves an upgrade.

I just looked at your cruise - actually I went cruise fish(ing) with a net. (You might think about doing that yourself.) I see that D1 balcony cabins dropped from $1004 to 849 yesterday. Would that be an improvement over your current situation with your category H oceanview cabins? It would be an increase of $175 per person for balcony cabins. You might keep an eye on what's happening with balconies to see if you can score an affordable upgrade.

We're on the Navigator cruise after yours (8/24) and at this point I haven't become POed since prices for our cabin are currently higher than what we paid. But I'm well aware that it could happen to us!

Good luck, and have a wonderful cruise!

Judy

Hey guys thanks for all the advice and the info! I am much better and back to being very excited. This will be our first cruise, and I think the family will love it. Right now having to work four 12 hours shifts in a row, but once I am done with that I am going to sit down and read through more of these threads. I will say they offered me a $100 on-bored credit and some chocolate covered strawberries due to giving me wrong info. That helps! :)

Sorry you got caught up in the Hold/Book date. Many of the sales specifically say new bookings only, which is very frustrating also. I sometimes use RCI and sometimes use a TA. I have gotten OBC, Specialty dinners, pre-paid gratuities, and half off travel insurance through an Internet TA. You just have to be sure everything is spelled out and do not assume anything, ask a lot of questions. Some TA's charge for any changes or cancellations and others do not honor price drops. Almost everyone has an opinion of who to book with, but I just look at who I will get the best deal with and who will save me the most money. Enjoy your cruise, the price you paid seems like pretty good. I know that $1000 would have been great too. I book at a price I am comfortable with so in case I see a special that I cannot take advantage of, it doesn't make me too frustrated.

I will say they offered me a $100 on-bored credit and some chocolate covered strawberries due to giving me wrong info. That helps! :)

Enjoy these little luxuries. I'm sure your first cruise will make some wonderful life long memories. Sorry that some people assumed you were a troll. Some posters on here ( the minority thankfully) think that unless you have thousands of posts you are an impostor !

Here's my opinion on the "No-Sail List". OP had said s/he wanted to cancel the cruise and then re-book it at the lower price. RCI keeps track and they do not allow this. My guess is the "No-Sail List" is for this particular cruise only. They will not allow you to cancel this cruise and then re-book it at a lower rate. I find it very hard to believe that they would ban you from cruising with them in the future simply because you cancelled a reservation with them.

I agree... They will flag you for that reason, and the RCI rep was probably, shockingly, inarticulate. I can't imagine them banning someone for life for that lol, that's just silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I agree... They will flag you for that reason, and the RCI rep was probably, shockingly, inarticulate. I can't imagine them banning someone for life for that lol, that's just silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Actually, the info the OP received regarding the "No Sail" list was accurate. If you dispute a charge that gets chargedback, RCCL will flag that card number in their system and if you try to reserve anything with it you will be denied as a high risk. If you used another card, it wouldn't be attached to your file. RCCL wouldn't just ban you from their product for such a thing.. but they have done on occasion--mostly for chronic complainers.

You most certainly can be put on the No-Sail list for chargebacks that are deemed frivolous.

But the more common occurrence is that your card is blocked. If you do it with another card they will prohibit any credit card use by a particular guest (often associated with Crown/Anchor numbers)

ranger2131 Here are two pieces of awesome advise. First, read some reviews about your ship. You will find out a lot of great stuff that will help you plan for an awesome vacation. Second, if you are planning to use the ice skating rink you need to bring along long pants or they won't let you play. :D Was so glad I read that before we left for the vacation.

Sorry about the price thing. That is a bummer and no way to make that better. Maybe $100 in drinks can ease the pain. :D

Edited by blondie from arizona

ranger2131 Here are two pieces of awesome advise. First, read some reviews about your ship. You will find out a lot of great stuff that will help you plan for an awesome vacation. Second, if you are planning to use the ice skating rink you need to bring along long pants or they won't let you play. :D Was so glad I read that before we left for the vacation.

Sorry about the price thing. That is a bummer and no way to make that better. Maybe $100 in drinks can ease the pain. :D

Definately doing the skating rink! My DH is already asking about that one! Thanks for the info.!

A price drop right after booking is always more frustrating than one that happens months later ... at least when there's a long gap of time, you can console yourself in the reality that you may have paid more, but you had an awesome selection of cabins.

Sorry this happened on your first cruise experience. I hope it turns out to be a wonderful cruise regardless.

We had two more people join our family cruise long after we initially booked and the prices were so high, I counseled her to go for the promenade cabin. Then 4-5 weeks before sailing there was an awesome drop (for 2 days only) on the balcony pricing and she upgraded for $28 total. Pricing is so fluid, you really never know what you're going to see from week to week.

Actually, the info the OP received regarding the "No Sail" list was accurate. If you dispute a charge that gets chargedback, RCCL will flag that card number in their system and if you try to reserve anything with it you will be denied as a high risk. If you used another card, it wouldn't be attached to your file. RCCL wouldn't just ban you from their product for such a thing.. but they have done on occasion--mostly for chronic complainers.

Could someone explain to me what a "chargeback" is? Isn't that just a refund to your credit card? I've been reading this thread for a couple of days now & am a little confused..thanks for your help.

Could someone explain to me what a "chargeback" is? Isn't that just a refund to your credit card? I've been reading this thread for a couple of days now & am a little confused..thanks for your help.

When you dispute a charge, the cc company credits it back to your account as a temporary credit until both sides have a chance to comment.

They may reinstate the charge to you if the business proves their side.

Edited by marci22

I always book under the philosophy that it's a cruise I want to go on, in a cabin I want to be in, at a price I feel is acceptable. If the prices drop or I can improve my cabin, great. If not, I got the cruise I want, at a price I'm ok with, in a cabin I like. For me, that's the best way to accept late price drops that I'm not eligible for.

Pricing goes both ways. Feb. 2014 we did an 11 night on Legend. I booked in Jan. 2013 and got JS for a good price. A friend opted to wait. Within 1 month the price had gone up $500 per person. By 30 days out, it was over $1500 per person higher! So, I booked at a great time.

On the other hand, we just did an Alaska cruise. When I booked I booked a D-1. A week after Final payment the JS dropped to $400 below the D-1. I upgraded for free, but it was still $400 per person higher than if I had waited. So be it. I was ecstatic.

As for TA vs. no TA, I have used one for years. She is fantastic. I email or call her and she does all the work. But best example, we had a JS on Oasis last Sep. Three weeks before the cruise the CL-1 (Crown Loft) dropped to only $150 more than the JS. Problem was, it was "new bookings only." I put a hold on one and emailed my TA. She "talked" with Royal Caribbean at length, and the next thing I knew I was in my CL-1 cabin! I know I wouldn't have gotten it without her.

When you dispute a charge, the cc company credits it back to your account as a temporary credit until both sides have a chance to comment.

Thank you soooo much. I felt kind of stupid because I really had no idea what was going on.

Royal sees the "24 Hour Hold" as a official booking. They once said to me, "when you hold a cabin, it's a booking"

They would not honor the WOW sail once because I placed a hold, let it expire because I changed my mind. Two days later WOW sale and I booked it, but no OBC because I had a "Hold" two days earlier. They would not make an exception so I requested a refund.

Less learned - If you put a hold just know it could cost you if you don't book.

Michael

Royal sees the "24 Hour Hold" as a official booking. They once said to me, "when you hold a cabin, it's a booking"

They would not honor the WOW sail once because I placed a hold, let it expire because I changed my mind. Two days later WOW sale and I booked it, but no OBC because I had a "Hold" two days earlier. They would not make an exception so I requested a refund.

Less learned - If you put a hold just know it could cost you if you don't book.

Michael

If you get a booking number you have a booking, no? Why would anyone think otherwise?

Hey guys thanks for all the advice and the info! I am much better and back to being very excited. This will be our first cruise, and I think the family will love it. Right now having to work four 12 hours shifts in a row, but once I am done with that I am going to sit down and read through more of these threads. I will say they offered me a $100 on-bored credit and some chocolate covered strawberries due to giving me wrong info. That helps! :)

As others are offering their way of thinking, so shall I! :eek:

You are walking down the street and find a $10 bill laying on the street. You pick it up and think one of two things.... 1) Wow, I just found $10! Yeah for me! or 2) Wow, I just found $10! Why couldn't it have been $50? Dang it, I'm really upset about that.

Remember this part... you are going on the NOS, on a cruise, in the Carribean (I think), in the warm weather, with a pool, and froo-froo drinks with umbrellas, and beaches (probably). Enjoy your $50, its the awesome vacation you will be taking. Most anyone on this board will gladly trade places with you!:D

The real irritant of a chargeback from the business's point of view is they have to pay back money they have already received.

If you get a booking number you have a booking, no? Why would anyone think otherwise?

I wasn't aware that the words "hold" and "booking" were synonyms. Providing a number makes it much easier to locate the hold to convert it into a booking. Maybe that is how someone might think otherwise.

I guess we are not all as smart as you. :rolleyes:

Reading through this thread is appears to be a common mistake for new cruisers.

Actually i have cancelled and re-booked the same cruise 3 times and nothing happened it just worked, i did book it online on the american website but booked from europe, cut the price in 2, maybe just lucky ;-)

It works if it is a typical price drop. But if it is a special sale then often times it won't work if it is specified as "new bookings only." I don't remember ever seeing a WOW sale that was not restricted to new bookings.

The real irritant of a chargeback from the business's point of view is they have to pay back money they have already received.

There are often fees involved charged to the business for chargebacks (whether the business wins or loses). And there is also the time that the business needs to spend to defend their right to the money. So there are "real" costs to the business on the other end of a disputed charge. Based upon the contract that the OP entered into, RCCI would have won any dispute. So RCCI sees the dispute as frivolous and has a responsibility to their shareholders to not enter into future contracts with that individual.

Of course that is all from the legal POV. We all know that when we are on one end of the line and a company rep is on the other, we gloss over all of the dry, boring legalize. :)