Threated to be put on "no-sail" list by staff ro wanting my money back

So I booked for and paid for my cruise on 6/28. This is my first cruise and there is sooo much to learn. So many details. When I called to book the rooms I asked about their "price match guarantee". I was told if the price dropped in 48 hours they would honor it. First mistake . . . listening to their people who don't know anything. Fast forward to this morning, less than 48 hours later, I see that the catagory room I booked is no $1000 cheaper!!!

I called for the best price guarantee. I was told I did not qualify since my booking date was 6/27. I was like, huh? Since I put a hold on the rooms on 6/27, THAT was my booking date!!! Then I was told that that policy also ONLY applies to price drops in the same deal (bet that rarely happen!) So basically the whole price match thing is a scam.

Had worked all night so went to bed and called back this afternoon. Spoke with another supervisor. I asked about doing a charge back on my credit card because at this point I want the $1000 or a full refund. He can't do a full refund and tells me that if I do a charge back I will get my money back BUT I will be put on a no-sail list and my credit card will not be accepted by them for anything else!! What!?!

Has anyone ever heard of this? They would rather loose a customer for life than let me book the cheaper rate? :cool:

This seems like bad business to me.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

The booking date has always been when a hold is put on the room. A hold is technically a booking without down payment.

Edited by clarea

From the RC website:

"You will have 48 hours after you reserve to find a lower price. If you do, you will receive 110% of the difference applied to your reservation as an onboard credit. This lowest rate must be a rate publicly advertised by Royal Caribbean International."

And also:

"All Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee claim forms must be submitted on-line within 48 hours of reserving your cruise and verified by Royal Caribbean in order to qualify for the onboard credit. "

Putting a hold on a room does qualify as reserving it. I'm not sure what you meant by "price drops in the same deal" - what deal? Now, you're posting in the Royal Caribbean forums, so I assumed that's the cruise line you're talking about. But nowhere in their best price guarantee does it say anything about *refunding* you the difference. They just offer it as OBC (onboard credit). And you don't have to call anyone for it, they have a link on their website to fill out a claim.

Also, this is another reason to work with a travel agent instead of booking directly with the cruise line.

So I booked for and paid for my cruise on 6/28. This is my first cruise and there is sooo much to learn. So many details. When I called to book the rooms I asked about their "price match guarantee". I was told if the price dropped in 48 hours they would honor it. First mistake . . . listening to their people who don't know anything. Fast forward to this morning, less than 48 hours later, I see that the catagory room I booked is no $1000 cheaper!!!

I called for the best price guarantee. I was told I did not qualify since my booking date was 6/27. I was like, huh? Since I put a hold on the rooms on 6/27, THAT was my booking date!!! Then I was told that that policy also ONLY applies to price drops in the same deal (bet that rarely happen!) So basically the whole price match thing is a scam.

Had worked all night so went to bed and called back this afternoon. Spoke with another supervisor. I asked about doing a charge back on my credit card because at this point I want the $1000 or a full refund. He can't do a full refund and tells me that if I do a charge back I will get my money back BUT I will be put on a no-sail list and my credit card will not be accepted by them for anything else!! What!?!

Has anyone ever heard of this? They would rather loose a customer for life than let me book the cheaper rate? :cool:

"they don't know anything"

Sorry. When you put a hold on the cabin, that became your booking date.

Edited by SeaUs

I'm sorry this is a 'live and learn' situation for you... but you should really have read the contract before putting down the money... and yes, if you had asked they would have pointed you to the contract on line or emailed you the contract prior to paying. Also... what cruise dropped $1000 from 6/27 to today? That is a huge drop for a cruise booked and final payment paid from Friday to Monday. Even the Monday WOW sales aren't that good~~

And there is a 'no sail' list... all cruise lines have them... but I thought you'd have to do more than want a refund... and after final payment I've never heard of anyone getting a refund... so good luck with that.

Edited by LindaO

Sounds like you are the one threatening, to instigate a charge back, and you are just being told the consequences if you follow through with your threat.

The 48 hour clock has always started when the reservation is made, by putting a hold on the cabin, you made a reservation with a reservation number, and locked in the price at that point. If when you called to make the deposit on the reservation the price had gone up, you would have been locked into the price prevailing at the time the reservation was made.

The others are correct ref the hold date being your booking date. But regardless, I understand why you're upset. Most of us have been bitten by price drops one time or a another. It can be frustrating.

Did the category of room above yours drop? If so, you can upgrade. I'm sure that would make you feel better. Just a thought.

Your whole story seems fishy to me. What did you book that dropped $1000?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A $1000 price drop can happen. Over the weekend there was a $900 price drop on JS cabins on Allure 8/10/14 sailing, which this morning had gone back up in price to what it had been last week.

Thank you all for the insite and interesting comments. Sorry for being such a "newbie". For those of you interested in the deal it is Navigator of the seas. August 17-24. Catagory H room. Was 539 on ********** this morning. Yes it was a $1000 for me on two rooms with 5 people. RCL confirmed that. Yes I am now jist hoping for an upgrade.:)

Your whole story seems fishy to me. What did you book that dropped $1000?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Several weeks ago the price of a JS on our upcoming Rhapsody cruise dropped $900 pp so we moved up to one at an $1800 saving.

Edited by PCWalton1

Sadly, the date you placed the hold is now your booking date, so you missed the 48 hour window...sorry. does the price also have to be on Royal's own site to qualify for the price match?

did other, better cabin categories also drop in price? if so, maybe you can upgrade to better cabins for little or no money. that might take some sting out.

Like others, I have seen the price of my category drop after final payment...it is a bummer. other times, the price only goes up...then one can feel smarter. win some, lose some.

Thank you all for the insite and interesting comments. Sorry for being such a "newbie". For those of you interested in the deal it is Navigator of the seas. August 17-24. Catagory H room. Was 539 on ********** this morning. Yes it was a $1000 for me on two rooms with 5 people. RCL confirmed that. Yes I am now jist hoping for an upgrade.:)

This happens to a lot of us. On our last cruise we upgraded to a js after final because of a price drop and then in less than 24 hours they lowered the price on a js even more, 600 to be exact for new bookings only, they said sorry. There was nothing left to upgrade to.

Edited by setsail

$1000 price drop for 2 cabins... 5 people makes sense. If it is the Going-Going-Gone sale then you are SOL.... as those are specifically advertised as new bookings only! It is always good to check the sheet prior to booking... when you are this close to sailing. I know, not what you want to hear... but it is a hard/fast rule with RCI. It looks like you got a good deal on your sailing and were happy with the price your booked... I hope that is enough to insure you have a great cruise!

Welcome to Cruise Critic ranger2131

I hope you take your bad experience and turn it into a wonderful, memorable cruise. You will love the Navigator, she is a great ship.

And sorry some on here jumped at you and called you a troll. We were all new here once and some people are more welcoming than others. But you can receive a lot of valuable information here on Cruise Critic.

Enjoy your cruise!

Here's my opinion on the "No-Sail List". OP had said s/he wanted to cancel the cruise and then re-book it at the lower price. RCI keeps track and they do not allow this. My guess is the "No-Sail List" is for this particular cruise only. They will not allow you to cancel this cruise and then re-book it at a lower rate. I find it very hard to believe that they would ban you from cruising with them in the future simply because you cancelled a reservation with them.

I was told if the price dropped in 48 hours they would honor it. First mistake . . . listening to their people who don't know anything. Fast forward to this morning, less than 48 hours later, I see that the category room I booked is no $1000 cheaper!!!

I called for the best price guarantee. I was told I did not qualify since my booking date was 6/27.

Too bad you didn't come and ask your questions here first. People would have told you to watch out for the hold period. It happened to me once and I try to warn people about it. Watch for an upgrade.

If you did a chargeback, I'm not sure the cc company would have reimbursed you the penalty anyway.

Putting a hold on a room does qualify as reserving it.

Also, this is another reason to work with a travel agent instead of booking directly with the cruise line.

Most people would not consider a hold to be an actual booking. I didn't know until this happened to me.

Don't see how a TA would have helped in this situation. They probably wouldn't have even gotten back to her in 48 hours.

Edited by marci22

Here's my opinion on the "No-Sail List". OP had said s/he wanted to cancel the cruise and then re-book it at the lower price. RCI keeps track and they do not allow this. My guess is the "No-Sail List" is for this particular cruise only. They will not allow you to cancel this cruise and then re-book it at a lower rate. I find it very hard to believe that they would ban you from cruising with them in the future simply because you cancelled a reservation with them.

Actually I have done this. My cruise went down $1100 for 2 rooms for a 5 night. I cancelled, paid the penalty for each person, and rebooked at the sale price. So I still saved $600. They might not want you to rebook a new bookings only promo, but you can take a chance and wait until Tuesday sale is over. In my case, they agreed to let me rebook right after cancelling.

**penalty is higher for longer cruises. 7 night would be at least $250pp for a cancellation in the first penalty period. Then it gets higher.

Edited by marci22