Explain Labadee, Haiti please...

cle-guy

We were only on Labadee once in the fall of 2006. I'd love to go back. It was a GREAT beach day! I know it has changed a lot over the years since then including a dock (it was a tender port back in 2006) and expansion to handle the RCL megaships.

We didn't get off the ship right away as we underestimated how nice it would be. We ended up loving the place and didn't leave until they made the last call for the last tender.

One thing I regret is that we brought almost no cash. Some locals were there carrying lounge chairs from a central area and putting them wherever you like. There were also some local musicians playing very nice music for tips. I had only about two dollars in my beach bag by chance so I had a little but would have liked to have just a little more cash to tip these folks.

Edited by Lsimon

We have been to Labadee twice and like it both times. The buffet they put out is just ok, in my opinion. And, I know that it is a lot of work to lug all the food off the ship, bring it back, etc. LOL, the last time we went they had hot dogs but no hot dog rolls and they had hamburger rolls but no hamburgers. :D

We were in Labradee back in 2007 when it was a tender port. We were cruise newbies and hated the stop. We could find nothing! Finally someone had chairs for rent. We do not do zip lines or other such things. We found no food or at least where it was. Some folks found the local market but again we were lost the whole time. We tried to ask but it was as though we spoke a foreign language. We usually can figure things out even if it is different from original plans. We are due to stop again on our October TA on the Reflection. My question is: will there be food on the ship if we decide to just stay on the ship or will choices be slim picking due to everything being taken ashore? Just curious. Just trying to be more prepared this time around.

Pearl

We were in Labradee back in 2007 when it was a tender port. We were cruise newbies and hated the stop. We could find nothing! Finally someone had chairs for rent. We do not do zip lines or other such things. We found no food or at least where it was. Some folks found the local market but again we were lost the whole time. We tried to ask but it was as though we spoke a foreign language. We usually can figure things out even if it is different from original plans. We are due to stop again on our October TA on the Reflection. My question is: will there be food on the ship if we decide to just stay on the ship or will choices be slim picking due to everything being taken ashore? Just curious. Just trying to be more prepared this time around.

Pearl

Yes, the buffet is usually open on the ship if you decide to stay ashore.

Maybe you'd like to give Labadee another try though. It has been built up and is significantly different than it was in 2007.

Chairs are free, NOT for rent. They are all over the beaches, in both the shade and in the sun. There are workers to set the chairs up for you, and you can tip them if you chose to. There are also 3-4 large food areas set up. The ship usually puts a map of the area in with their ship's newsletter that day.

Edited by DonnaK

We were in Labadee in 2009 and LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT! The beach was absolutely beautiful and pool butlers from the ship where great helping with the lounge chairs. We did a zip line excursion and again - LOVED IT! It was so much fun. We are going to be in Labadee this October and will do it again. I know they added lots of new things (like water slide). Has anybody done this activity and has a picture of the slide? How long is it?

I read on another thread that there were stray dogs on the property, hungry and sad. Is this true?

We did not see any stray animals.

We were in Labadee in 2009 and LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT! The beach was absolutely beautiful and pool butlers from the ship where great helping with the lounge chairs. We did a zip line excursion and again - LOVED IT! It was so much fun. We are going to be in Labadee this October and will do it again. I know they added lots of new things (like water slide). Has anybody done this activity and has a picture of the slide? How long is it?

It is a nice stop. We were just there last March, but sadly didn't get to do much. A bad storm was approaching but the Master of the ship (not Kafetzis) decided to stop anyway. 10 mooring lines had broken when he called for a quick evacuation of all passengers back to the ship, just 2 hours after we arrived.

We will also be back in October and hope the weather will be nicer this time. :D

Yes, the buffet is usually open on the ship if you decide to stay ashore.

Maybe you'd like to give Labadee another try though. It has been built up and is significantly different than it was in 2007.

Chairs are free, NOT for rent. They are all over the beaches, in both the shade and in the sun. There are workers to set the chairs up for you, and you can tip them if you chose to. There are also 3-4 large food areas set up. The ship usually puts a map of the area in with their ship's newsletter that day.

I agree totally. We were there back when it first became a stop and had to tender ashore.

Since then we've been back at least three times, our last only a few months ago, and now rate it highly. In place of the one carved wood craft shop back then there are now several locally operated places for those interested in different items made on the island including some very interesting hammered metal products.

The BBQ is now well organized and much better than the crowded pavilion there was back then.

More beach areas to explore and spend time at along with more active forms of fun in the sun.

All in all a great private beach day that seems to get better and better each year.

Give it another try. It is just a short walk back to the ship if you decide to spend the day aboard.

bosco

Are there any excursions into the real Haiti? Is there anything to venture out and see outside the private resort area?

None that I know of. It is basically a beach day not a true port of call stop on Hispaniola.

Maybe as time goes by the powers that be may make other areas open to tours. I think there is a lot that would have to be done before that happens but time will tell.

bosco

Are there any excursions into the real Haiti? Is there anything to venture out and see outside the private resort area?

I haven't seen any 'real Haiti' excursions offered by any cruise line. I would imagine this would be something you would have to set up on your own and probably get a taxi. I am not sure of the distance involved, but I'm sure it's possible by finding a service online that interests you.

Pearl

Pearl

I will second the suggestion that you give Labadee another try. I am not sure which cruise you were on in 2007 but we were on the Millennium westbound TA in that year. There was food but they did run out fairly early not, I think, the fault of the ship's crew. We happened to be on part of the beach close to the buffet and it was like a swarm of locusts descended on the food area before the crew started serving. The size of the plates of food people were coming away with made it look like the guests had not eaten for the whole of the Atlantic crossing. It was quite horrifying to watch!

Despite that, we enjoyed our day and covered much of the area including the market. When we returned at the en of 2012, Labadee was much more developed but still extremely enjoyable.

We are definitely not beach people and Labadee is the only time we have been on a beach during a cruise.

I read on another thread that there were stray dogs on the property, hungry and sad. Is this true?

We never saw a dog during either of our two stops on Labadee. I cannot believe that stray dogs would be tolerated there.

We did the speed boat trip in 2007 and saw a little of Haiti from the boat as well as some of the fishermen on little more than a floating door. You got a slight impression of the poverty but no more. I am not aware of any excursions on land.

You are joking ,going to a private plot owned and guarded by the cruiseline that got you there sounds like prison to me its hardly a destination experience.

Wow! Princess, NCL, Disney, and of course RCCL that has the rights to Labadee all have private islands and beach areas. Nothing new or different.

None. Curt this stop is just like going into any cruise line's private beach area, with the exception of a 'Hatian market' area. They do get a tad pushy from time to time.

Our last time in was in 2011 on the Freedom OTS. Very clean,and nice compared to our first time 20 years ago!

Edited by wallie5446

We had no stray dogs but had plenty of stray hot dog buns, just no dogs!;)

No stray hamburgers either!

EW, you can chime in now........................:D

Louis, now now! Just cause the wifester said for me not to stray far......:rolleyes:

You are joking ,going to a private plot owned and guarded by the cruiseline that got you there sounds like prison to me its hardly a destination experience.

Well, it really depends on what you consider a destination experience. It is a private Caribbean beach open only to those on your cruise. If someone's idea of a "destination" is any Caribbean beach and they only care that it is a nice, maybe even great, beach then it will be a great destination experience. But if one doesn't consider a Caribbean beach in and of itself as a destination then they may not be happy.

Don't think of Labadee as a visit to Haiti. Think of it as an extension of the ship and consider that you are remaining on the cruise line's property throughout. If you don't like that part of the cruise experience then stay on the ship and enjoy a different part.

I haven't seen any 'real Haiti' excursions offered by any cruise line. I would imagine this would be something you would have to set up on your own and probably get a taxi. I am not sure of the distance involved, but I'm sure it's possible by finding a service online that interests you.

There is no outside access from the property, period.

We never saw a dog during either of our two stops on Labadee. I cannot believe that stray dogs would be tolerated there.

We did see a stray dog, a female, over by the Dragon Coaster area our last time in Labadee last Fourth of July 2013. She was quite friendly, but very thin. I was surprised by this because we had never seen stray dogs or cats at Labadee before or when we returned to Labadee last December 2013.

Didnt see any stray dogs but saw plenty of 'stray' spined sea urchins , i swear these things were stalking me , everwhere i went they were there .......I soon got out. ( on snorkelling trip )

Also while swimming around , something bumped into my leg hard .....twice:eek:

Its a pretty place but it was far too overcrowded , dont see the pont in the stop tbh