Royal Princess TV documentary

Happyboating

Have now seen two episodes of this programme, it seems to me that they were designed to put potential cruisers off the idea for life!

Having experienced more than sixty cruises I feel qualified to say that cruising is not as depicted in these shows.

(I value my Elite status with Princess. I hope I will not be barred for my comments!

Never cruised with Princess, we have with a variety of international cruise lines and after watching one and a half episodes of this show I'm determined not too cruise with Princess. The show makes it look like an oversize Carnival cruise and definitely not our type of cruise.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy entertainment and have often been in the thick of it on Thomson's and FO, but mens knobbly knees competition ? Seriously ?

Not what I understood Princess cruises to be about and will definitely not be sailing with them.

Awful show, really can't see the suits at Princess liking this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have now seen two episodes of this programme, it seems to me that they were designed to put potential cruisers off the idea for life!

Having experienced more than sixty cruises I feel qualified to say that cruising is not as depicted in these shows.

(I value my Elite status with Princess. I hope I will not be barred for my comments!

Maybe that's the idea..!! Princess' way of keeping the Captains Circle numbers from getting too out of hand.. put new cruisers off for life!!! [emoji12]

Oh my goodness, a sexy legs competition! How awful. I have friends who have recently been on a couple of Princess cruises and they sounded nothing like the TV programme. Perhaps those cruises that leave from UK port are different. Have watched programmes on satellite about American cruise ship that had a belly flop competition!!!! I can't believe our American cousins really like this stuff!! It's just so old fashioned, the sort of 'entertainment' they had when I went to Butlins in the late 50s!!!!! After listening to our friends we thought we would try Princess but this programme is trying hard to put us off!!!

Just watched tonights programme (recorded it earlier) and was very disappointed. Was thinking of going on that ship but the programme has really put me off it. It was almost like a joke. Sorry Princess, after seeing that programme you are not for us.

To all of our British friends who have not sailed on Princess, don't base your decision on this program. I haven't viewed the program but based on comments it certainly doesn't accurately reflect our experiences during many Princess cruises including the maiden TA shown in this program. Each of us decides which cruise lines we sail but to base that decision on what apparently is a cartoonish characterization of a Princess cruise makes no sense to me. Editing can make any of us look ridiculous and controversy attracts viewers to rubbish reality TV programming.

Based on the comments made by those who have viewed the program the title calling it a "TV documentary" is a misnomer & it's merely not so real "reality" TV. :rolleyes:

Edited by Astro Flyer

Having sailed only once with Princess, don't think this series will have us rushing back, feel this doesn't give a true reflection of the diversity of what a cruise offers, a bit like butlins at sea for the older passengers, we have cruised many cruise lines, and always found a more selection of ages and things to do while aboard, but then I suppose what we get from cruising wouldn't make good TV, over 15 cruises but never been to a show or a quiz perhaps I am a young cruiser who is boring but then to me it is the perfect vacation ......

Edited by lady peacock
Spelling

I have not seen the documentary, but reading the comments of those who have surprised me. I have cruised Princess 2x and my cruise were nothing like that. Looking forward to a third cruise next year.

I think it's an appalling representation of a twisted version of reality. IMHO there are some tacky things on Princess (tacky being a matter of personal opinion of course) eg the throw your flipflops in the pool competition I saw once on Caribbean Princess BUT this programme focuses on them as if they were 24-7 and what the cruise is all about. If I hadn't been on 5 Princess cruises already this programme would certainly put me off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is not a documentary. It's a reality entertainment program. Entertainment being the important word. The point at which it is being broadcast is not a time slot used for documentaries - it's prime time entertainment viewing.

As for the Fred Olsen documentary. This was a program developed by the BBC Religion and Communities department to focus on the work of certain pastoral roles on board ship. Unfortunately this was not clearly articulated to viewers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have done several Princess US based cruises over the years and most recently one from Southampton and the representation on this programme bears no relation to any of our experiences.

I can only assume that the producers encouraged the over the top presentation from those involved. However I hope the inclusion of a "mens sexy legs" and a "belly flop" competition was not entirely due to the deputy CD being an ex Pontins holiday camp rep.

Not really a good advert for Princess, although they do say any advertising is good advertising.

This is not a documentary. It's a reality entertainment program. Entertainment being the important word. The point at which it is being broadcast is not a time slot used for documentaries - it's prime time entertainment viewing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree entirely, we have all been on numerous Princess Cruises and not one has been as frivolous and tacky as portrayed by this TV show. I have sailed with Dan a number of times and he is an intelligent, well organised, efficient and well articulated individual with a keen sense of humour. None of us know what briefing the participants were given but having been involved with TV companies I know they brief people to act they way they want them to act.

Just treat it for what it is.....light entertainment, but don't base your holiday decisions on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by PRINCESSTHE BEST

I am shocked that so many claim they are put off by this show and won't be sailing Princess. I am further shocked at the Princess loyals, that see this as trash. You mean the original Love Boat drove you too Princess? With passengers bringing their monkeys onboard? and every crew member falling in love with passengers? Come on, this TV show is fun and if anything, I will sail more often now that I know the ship won't be full of grumpy people. :D

I am shocked that so many claim they are put off by this show and won't be sailing Princess. I am further shocked at the Princess loyals, that see this as trash. You mean the original Love Boat drove you too Princess? With passengers bringing their monkeys onboard? and every crew member falling in love with passengers? Come on, this TV show is fun and if anything, I will sail more often now that I know the ship won't be full of grumpy people. :D

A great comparison. Completely changed my perspective. But, I think you will still find lots of grumpy people.

and every crew member falling in love with passengers?

I know I was disappointed when the hot Princess female cruise director wouldn't sleep with me, the way Julie McCoy seemed to do with every second male passenger on the show...;) especially since I was in love with Julie for a short time (very short, I'm not blind after all).

Now forgive me for being blunt, but you have to be an idiot to a) base your cruising decisions on this show, and 2) call this a documentary. You Brits out there should be used to trashy reality TV like this by now, which twists "reality" in order to get the most people to watch, and to talk about it as we all are doing now. There's no such thing as bad publicity, at the risk of repeating myself.

Thanks to those who have already stated that this show is by no means a representation of a true Princess cruise experience. It is more a representation of people's preconceived notions of what the average cruise ship passenger looks like (and behaves). The editors of this show have done a masterful job of catching enough scenes that reinforce these preconceived notions. Having said that, yes there are still sexy legs and belly flop contests, as there will continue to be so long as passengers participate and enjoy. If you don't care for that sort of activity, open up your Princess Patter and find something else to do. They serve afternoon tea at 3:30 PM every sea day, Your Majesty...

Just posted on the Celebrity forum that this must be a PR disaster for Princess. Two terrible programmes so far ----- they represented Princess and cruising in general like a 2 star AI hotel / cruise line at best.

Certainly not Princess' finest hour - or shows - :confused:

Hey!! Don't burst my bubble about the LB!! :p

th?&id=HN.608014369712836426&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Hi All

So when the hot cruise director came to my cabin on my last cruise this is not normal practice

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

It was probably the kilt that did it. ;)

i have been on quite a few princess cruises and have never seen a sexy legs or a bellyflop competition. I've never even seen them in the patter.

for those who won't cruise princess because of a tv program, I feel it is your loss. you would base your decision on a skewed tv show and not on the opinions of people who actually have sailed princess. I have never been on a geriatric cruise, though I have been on one (only one, thankfully and would never end a cruise in that port again) where a lot of people acted like the cranky-pants woman.

I don't cruise princess because I enjoyed watching the love boat. I knew that wasn't real life, just as this is not.

I don't expect to change your mind and that's okay. with less people choosing princess, my fares might go lower!

Oh my goodness, a sexy legs competition! How awful. I have friends who have recently been on a couple of Princess cruises and they sounded nothing like the TV programme. Perhaps those cruises that leave from UK port are different. Have watched programmes on satellite about American cruise ship that had a belly flop competition!!!! I can't believe our American cousins really like this stuff!! It's just so old fashioned, the sort of 'entertainment' they had when I went to Butlins in the late 50s!!!!! After listening to our friends we thought we would try Princess but this programme is trying hard to put us off!!!

There are always tacky people no matter what country you are from. We only have 3 cruises on Princess so far but have never seen a belly flop contest, a hairy legs contest, or any of those tacky sorts of things. It's one of the reasons we like Princess. Perhaps this stuff may happen on a Caribbean cruise? I don't know as I haven't been able to do a Caribbean cruise yet. We've cruised Princess to Alaska, Hawaii, and Vancouver. We are booked for a Mexican Riviera and Panama Canal full transit. Hopefully we won't encounter this sort of tacky activity. However, if it turns out Princess actually does sometimes have activities of this sort I'm sure we will be able to find something else to do so we won't actually encounter them anyway.

Don't judge all Americans based on some belly flop competition and I won't judge all Brits based on Benny Hill. :D (I know for a fact that the Brits I've encountered on Princess ships didn't behave in the manner people are talking about here in reference to the loud-mouthed obnoxious woman passenger. I've found the Brits I've met onboard to be very nice people.

Edited by Thrak