Cruise Training

biga92

This is something I've been thinking about. I'm going on a cruise in late July and want to get the most out of it, relaxation wise. I love reading and have been falling behind in my usual summer reading.

So I was thinking, from now until the cruise to do some "cruise training" which pretty much means getting used to reading for long periods of time (I want to finish at least 1 novel while sitting poolside most of the day), waking up early no matter how late I went to bed, and getting my liver somewhat ready.

The most important (and difficult) things are getting used to more reading and weaning off Netflix.

Let the training begin!

Anyone ever do this?

Oh my. I realize you are probably half-kidding about this, but maybe not. If you have ever lost a loved one to alcoholism, you would know that this comment is very cruel and not at all funny. :(

Seriously. Anything at all to pick a fight around here.

Fun post OP, enjoy your cruise and don't let the negative Nellies get under your skin.

Seriously. Anything at all to pick a fight around here. Fun post OP, enjoy your cruise and don't let the negative Nellies get under your skin.

Karysa, I am hardly picking a fight and I am certainly not a negative Nellie. Sorry you feel otherwise. Gee.

Karen doesn't pick fights.

Thanks, hon. :)

Seriously though, a few years ago we lost a family member to alcoholism. It was heartbreaking; even after staging an intervention, it was too late for her and she died a horrific death. It was awful. I suppose that makes me a little sensitive to remarks such as OP's, and even more so to those by people like Karysa who may be apt to judge without knowing the circumstances.

I totally get the training to get up early! I did it too in the weeks before our cruise to Alaska. I'm a night owl and often work late at night, so sleep until 8 or 9 am. In Alaska, we had early ports and I didn't want to miss a thing!

Seriously though, a few years ago we lost a family member to alcoholism. It was heartbreaking; even after staging an intervention, it was too late for her and she died a horrific death. It was awful. I suppose that makes me a little sensitive to remarks such as OP's, and even more so to those by people like Karysa who may be apt to judge without knowing the circumstances.

OP was just having some fun. You should have just skipped this one instead of turning it into something dark and depressing.

Nooo, I don't find training to relax and enjoy necessary. :) It seems to come naturally to me. :D

I read a lot so no need to train to turn pages.

I don't drink that much so, hopefully, my liver will hold up fine from the glasses of wine I usually enjoy on cruises.

But, if you wish to train........ Go for It !!

With utmost respect for your heartbreaking loss......how on earth could th OP be expected to sensor anything that has the potential to cause difficulty for someone, besides the very obvious?

My B-I-L passed away 4 days ago from liver disease, complications of alcoholism.

The OP could have no way of knowing your situation, and it's a little arrogant to assume so. I'm certain they meant no disrespect. I think you owe an apology. IMHO.

Edited by Jo-Bob

For months ahead of the cruise time, we plan, make agendas, and decide what we are going to do.

When we board, we throw out the plans, go with the flow, of course see some shows, go on some fun excursions and show up for dinner, but other than that, relax, and explore new experiences.

Its hard to be regimented.

But, we still have time to do what we want.

Sea Ya

This is something I've been thinking about. I'm going on a cruise in late July and want to get the most out of it, relaxation wise. I love reading and have been falling behind in my usual summer reading.

So I was thinking, from now until the cruise to do some "cruise training" which pretty much means getting used to reading for long periods of time (I want to finish at least 1 novel while sitting poolside most of the day), waking up early no matter how late I went to bed, and getting my liver somewhat ready.

The most important (and difficult) things are getting used to more reading and weaning off Netflix.

Let the training begin!

Anyone ever do this?

I actually do try and walk more leading up to a cruise as we spend so much time on our feet.

With utmost respect for your heartbreaking loss......how on earth could th OP be expected to sensor anything that has the potential to cause difficulty for someone, besides the very obvious?

My B-I-L passed away 4 days ago from liver disease, complications of alcoholism.

The OP could have no way of knowing your situation, and it's a little arrogant to assume so. I'm certain they meant no disrespect. I think you owe an apology. IMHO.

Imagine how incredibly insensitive Cruise Critic is to those that have lost love ones that have "fell off of a ship".:rolleyes:

I should actually answer your question now OP. My cruise training involves stepping up my work-outs and getting in shape. I failed to do this once and still hate looking through that photo book. :p

Edited by Karysa

Personally, I have never understood all the people that read for hours on a ship. Why do people choose to do this on a ship when there are so many other things to do?

Also, I stay up late at home, but can't seem to stay up late on a ship. Maybe I should train for this. I always seem to tire out before the late night fun begins!

"Training" for the all-inclusive beverage packages could be quite revealing. My guess is a good percentage who try would find themselves hitting the wall well before they would get their money's worth and would reconsider buying one.

I find sitting in a shady, quiet spot with a view of the ocean and a cool drink very conducive to my reading addiction. Besides, I don't like bingo or trivia, loud pool bands or activities other than what I do in port or power walking on deck.

I work and do lots of volunteer work as well so a sea day allows me to relax in my favorite way - after exercising.

Edited by Bookish Angel