Bringing flowers on board?

RickT

I'll be sailing out of Amsterdam in a few weeks and thought it might be nice to pick up a nice bouquet of local flowers and bring it on board to enjoy while we cruise. I've done this before but it's been a few years and wanted to see if anyone knows if this is still possible.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if I got to the ship and they made me dispose of them but hopefully I can still do this.

If anyone has done this or knows if it can be done I'd appreciate your feedback.

We have taken flowers on numerous times. The only time I was disappointed was the time I rec'd a bouquet on the ship and was not allowed to take it off:eek: Totally understand why but was sad because did not receive them until close to the end of the cruise.:)

I brought flowers onboard last time we sailed out of Seattle - can't speak for all ports, but I have never heard of a problem.

Flowers et al. flora cannot be brought into California (or Hawaii) including anything you may have brought on to a cruise ship from another port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just be careful with the flowers until you reach your cabin! I was sitting at an aft table outside and a couple asked if they could join us; I said sure. The woman plonked a large vase with flowers on the table....there went my view. Then a gust of wind knocked it over and all the water poured out on the table (metal mesh) and soaked my shoes (luckily Crocs!) and my legs.

Flowers et al. flora cannot be brought into California (or Hawaii) including anything you may have brought on to a cruise ship from another port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I understand - many ports do not allow you to bring flowers off a cruise ship and into that port. But I was referring to bringing flowers onboard for the cruise. I did that on my last cruise out of Seattle, which stopped at multiple places along the California coast. I did not attempt to disembark with my flowers at the end of the cruise.

As to the vase question someone else asked - we just asked our room steward for one - no problem.

Thanks everyone for you comments. Looks like I'll be able to bring some flowers on board as I've done in the past. Looking forward to wandering the markets of Amsterdam searching for a nice bouquet (I've been there before and it can be overwhelming). I may even splurge for a vase :D

Just posted this same question to a thread about flowers being available on board...so glad I can bring some on and that the steward may have a vase!!:p

Edited by seastar2

Just posted this same question to a thread about flowers being available on board...so glad I can bring some on and that the steward may have a vase!!:p

They have always brought me a good size glass vase for my large bouquet--no problem.

We have purchased, in the past, and still us a great plastic vase from a Museum Store. They are, when not in use, flat, and you fill them with water and they become great vases for travel. We always make sure we have flowers in our stateroom. Enjoy your cruise. !!!

We have purchased, in the past, and still us a great plastic vase from a Museum Store. They are, when not in use, flat, and you fill them with water and they become great vases for travel. We always make sure we have flowers in our stateroom. Enjoy your cruise. !!!

I also use a plastic vase that you form with warm water. I have seen them on the internet. I have had mine for several years and enjoy it

• 4 weeks later...

From all the comments it seems that there is no problem with flowers being brought on board, but I'll tell a short story about buying flowers in the Caribbean.

On our first cruise many years ago my DW had a headache at one of the ports in the Caribbean. I went on a tour with the kids and left her to relax on board. We purchased some flowers from a local vendor at one of the stops on the tour. Just as we exited the tour vehicle (I think it was a taxi) at the end of our tour I noticed the flowers were crawling with large insects:eek:.

I was very thankful they decided to come out of their hiding spots and make their appearance before we boarded the ship and not after we got to our stateroom and I gave them to my DW.

So I'd have no hesitation buying flowers at a USA or European embarkation port, but think twice and be careful before buying them from a vendor in more natural tropical locations.

Edited by Lsimon

Thank you for the update about the Caribbean. We will be sailing out of the Valpariso in the spring. Will have to think twice about taking flowers on from there. I have previously only taking them on from the United States and Europe

Thank you for the update about the Caribbean. We will be sailing out of the Valpariso in the spring. Will have to think twice about taking flowers on from there. I have previously only taking them on from the United States and Europe

I don't know much about Valparaiso but I'd guess it depends a lot on where you are buying flowers. In my case they were from a group of vendors that were more like street vendors who'd cut these themselves around the island than a shop like a florist selling them. I have no idea which you'd be more likely to run into in Valparaiso.

If in doubt you can always buy flowers on board or even order them in advance through the gifts department. Not cheap but reasonable relative to domestic florist prices.

Not a problem at all. We have taken on flowers from Valpariso without incident.

Love those vases for travel!

I also bought my first one in a museum store years ago. It is still going strong. Now I can buy them in my local dollar store, so I have a few different styles and sizes.

These vases have worked great for us except for our purchase in Provence.....my sunflower bouquet was so large it tipped it over...our room steward was able to supply a much larger one....enjoyed those flowers the whole trip...but kept them on the balcony quite a bit...really huge bouquet!

These vases have worked great for us except for our purchase in Provence.....my sunflower bouquet was so large it tipped it over...our room steward was able to supply a much larger one....enjoyed those flowers the whole trip...but kept them on the balcony quite a bit...really huge bouquet!

Sunflowers would have been to large and heavy for my plastic vases, too.

I have had to cut the stems back on some flowers to get the proportions and weight right for these vases.

It doesn't surprise me that Celebrity did well providing a nice vase, but outcomes might vary. Though I think he really tried,the best a Carnival room steward found for me was a pitcher. Not ideal...