St. Maarten and St. Thomas excursions question

We are looking at beach excursions through Royal Caribbean for our August cruise on Freedom. It is Orient Beach in St. Maarten and Sapphire Beach or Magen's Bay on St. Thomas.

My question is-does anyone know what type of transportation these excursions use-are they coach buses?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't think I've seen a coach bus in St. Thomas. The roads are narrow and winding in some spots - I don't think a large bus could make it. :p You will probably go in a smaller bus or my guess is an open air safari-style vehicle (it's what they use for taxis there).

Also, I would actually not take a ship's tour in either port - they are both easy DIY ports. We have gone to Magen's Bay 3 times by ourselves. Lovely.

You might check out the ports of call board for the Caribbean; here is the link (scroll to the bottom) -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587 <---click here

We used Bernard's Tours in St. Marteen and highly recommend them. The price was $45 p/p. There were 20 in the shuttle bus and our guide (DJ) was great! They even provided both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages during the tour while on the bus.

We used Bernard's Tours in St. Marteen and highly recommend them. The price was $45 p/p. There were 20 in the shuttle bus and our guide (DJ) was great! They even provided both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages during the tour while on the bus.

Rum punch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

I would also like to chime in if you don't mind. : ) I'm not a veteran cruiser, as our first cruise was last year. BUT.... non-ship sponsored tours are the way to go! We did a ship sponsored tour in St. Thomas. It was the most horrific experience EVER. We were in an open safari bus with our then 2 1/2 year old, crammed 5 people deep per row. The driver was awful, we were only allowed 5 minutes at a look-over! He explained nothing, just yelled when we had to get back on the bus and he would leave us if we were late. We then went to Magen's Bay Beach and it was a nightmare. I think every person on every cruise ship in port went there that day. It looked like the interstate here in Atlanta! Then, the driver was flying on these little tiny roads winding up and down the mountains. We get to downtown and he has a blow out! Just think, we could have been killed on those mountains. We paid $20 bucks for a taxi in an air conditioned van to go back to the ship!

We booked a private tour with Joyce Price in St. Maarten. I cannot tell you the different. It was like night and day from St. Thomas!!! She had juice, soda and water for us as well as a car seat for our daughter. She explained everything as we went all over the island in her air conditioned car. We went all over the island, went to the Butterfly Farm, did some shopping and we had a beach stop at (not spelling this right) La Gallion Beach. The locals call it baby beach? She waited in her car for us, so she was never far away. She was AMAZING.

I highly recommend Joyce for ST. Maarten. When I was doing research, I heard Sonny Liston or Godfrey Tours was wonderful for St. Thomas. I wish I would have booked with them! : )

Hope this was somewhat helpful!

We are beach people, have been on 20 cruises, all but 4 to the eastern Caribbean. Have always taken ship tours and have never had a problem. St Thomas sucks anymore as beach place but that isn't the problem for excursions - just too many people, too many ships. We always take a boat to St. John or do the Kon-Tiki. On Saint Maarten we do the ship tours to Orient Bay/Beach. Always worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would also like to chime in if you don't mind. : ) I'm not a veteran cruiser, as our first cruise was last year. BUT.... non-ship sponsored tours are the way to go! We did a ship sponsored tour in St. Thomas. It was the most horrific experience EVER. We were in an open safari bus with our then 2 1/2 year old, crammed 5 people deep per row. The driver was awful, we were only allowed 5 minutes at a look-over! He explained nothing, just yelled when we had to get back on the bus and he would leave us if we were late. We then went to Magen's Bay Beach and it was a nightmare. I think every person on every cruise ship in port went there that day. It looked like the interstate here in Atlanta! Then, the driver was flying on these little tiny roads winding up and down the mountains. We get to downtown and he has a blow out! Just think, we could have been killed on those mountains. We paid $20 bucks for a taxi in an air conditioned van to go back to the ship!

We booked a private tour with Joyce Price in St. Maarten. I cannot tell you the different. It was like night and day from St. Thomas!!! She had juice, soda and water for us as well as a car seat for our daughter. She explained everything as we went all over the island in her air conditioned car. We went all over the island, went to the Butterfly Farm, did some shopping and we had a beach stop at (not spelling this right) La Gallion Beach. The locals call it baby beach? She waited in her car for us, so she was never far away. She was AMAZING.

I highly recommend Joyce for ST. Maarten. When I was doing research, I heard Sonny Liston or Godfrey Tours was wonderful for St. Thomas. I wish I would have booked with them! : )

Just in case someone else would like to take cparkerkite's advice:

The guide's name is Joyce PRINCE. http://www.joyceprince.com/tours.html

:)

What is the average price of a tour with Joyce?

It's very easy to go to Orient Beach (or any beach in St Marten) on your own. You can take a taxi for about $6-$7 per person each way. Very easy to get a taxi when you are ready to return to ship or downtown area. Orient Beach is one of my favorites!

Taxis in St. Thomas are pricier. The last time we went to Sapphire Beach, (2012?) it was $10 per person each way. Sapphire Beach was very pretty but not much there. Megans Beach is the beach everyone talks about but, personally, I think it is way over rated. Too crowded!

Sherri:)

We are looking at beach excursions through Royal Caribbean for our August cruise on Freedom. It is Orient Beach in St. Maarten and Sapphire Beach or Magen's Bay on St. Thomas.

My question is-does anyone know what type of transportation these excursions use-are they coach buses?

If all you want is a beach day, just take a cab. They are plentiful on both ends, cheaper and easier, and you can decide when to go and when to come back.

I would also suggest doing it DIY. You don't even need to book a tour. If you go the beaches the OP mentioned there are plenty of taxis to get you there and most importantly plenty of taxis to get you back to the ship. We always allow ourselves 90 minutes to get back to the ship. Most trips are 15-20 minutes at most, but would always like the extra buffer just in case.

The best part of the DIY is there no "herded cattle" feel, and you get a lot more time at the beach than you do with a Royal tour.

We are beach people, have been on 20 cruises, all but 4 to the eastern Caribbean. Have always taken ship tours and have never had a problem. St Thomas sucks anymore as beach place but that isn't the problem for excursions - just too many people, too many ships. We always take a boat to St. John or do the Kon-Tiki. On Saint Maarten we do the ship tours to Orient Bay/Beach. Always worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Then you obviously have not been to Emerald

If all you want is a beach day, just take a cab. They are plentiful on both ends, cheaper and easier, and you can decide when to go and when to come back.

I too wouldn't do an overpriced RCCL tour on either island just to go to a beach. Cheaper and easier to use taxi's or local tour guides.

I'll second Bernard's. used them this week with Mailman. One of the best island tours we've ever taken. Every single person in our van was a happy customers, and that's not easy.

Mailman was our guide with Bernard's Tour too.

He gave us a comprehensive tour of the island, plenty of beach time at Orient, time in Marigot, then the highlight: time in Maho Beach to see the planes (youtube Maho Beach to see what that excitement is about). Beverages, including rum punch, is included! At the end of the tour, you can elect to be dropped off in Philipsburg for more shopping and beach (return on your own via walking, water taxi or regular taxi).

On St. Thomas, just take a cab to Emerald or Sapphire beach.

We were there last month and took the ship's tour to Orient Beach. Yes, they were air conditioned coach buses. And yes, some of the road's were narrow and up some pretty steep hills. We had a good time and didn't think the excursion was overpriced. The lunch that was included was good and the beach was great. I think we had to pay $2 extra for the beach umbrella.

What is the average price of a tour with Joyce?

Her tours are custom, so I wouldn't know. She called us and asked a lot of questions and then recommended a plan for us. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to share what our price was, but it was less than $500. I can't say enough about how much we enjoyed her. FYI....We went in her small car since it was just us 3, but she mentioned she has larger vehicles to accommodate larger parties. My husband loves history, so he loved the fact that she knew HER island and shared all she knew. : )

We just got back from a cruise to St Maartin and we got a taxi to Marigot and because it was slow season the cab driver waited for us. Our next stop was to Moho and then back to the ship. He only charged us $7 each from the cruise terminal to Marigot and $7 each to Moho and $7 each back to the ship $21 each ($147 total) for all three legs. There was 7 of us, no frills but it turned out great. Our cab driver George and he was great. Ask for George in cab number 55.

Shak

OP here- thanks for all of the suggestions! I should have explained more thoroughly-I asked about the coach buses because I am traveling with my children and am concerned about safety. I have an 11, 9 and 2 year old and am trying to figure out, first, if we are taking the 2 year old on our excursion (or if dh or I will stay on the ship with him) and second, if we take him, how we would get around with him. I am a huge on car seat safety and don't believe that because I am on vacation, I don't need to follow safety precautions.

I am going to look into some of the suggestions listed here- I had hoped that a RC tour would be "safe" meaning a coach bus, but since they are not, I will look for other options. Thanks again!

OP here- thanks for all of the suggestions! I should have explained more thoroughly-I asked about the coach buses because I am traveling with my children and am concerned about safety. I have an 11, 9 and 2 year old and am trying to figure out, first, if we are taking the 2 year old on our excursion (or if dh or I will stay on the ship with him) and second, if we take him, how we would get around with him. I am a huge on car seat safety and don't believe that because I am on vacation, I don't need to follow safety precautions.

I am going to look into some of the suggestions listed here- I had hoped that a RC tour would be "safe" meaning a coach bus, but since they are not, I will look for other options. Thanks again!

There are coach buses in St. Maarten. Through Royal we took "An Ultimate Island Tour: Explorer Cruise and Island Tour - SMD2" last year. Half the tour your are in a coach bus sightseeing the island. The rest of the tour you board a double decker boat in Marigot and cruise for about an hour in the lagoon. We enjoyed the boat cruise more since we have seen the island many times.

I have never seen any coach buses in St. Thomas.

Your time is short in St. Thomas. You arrive at 12 ship's time, which actually might be 1 pm local time if your captain does not switch time zones. Just take a cab to the beach - Magen's Bay, Sapphire Beach, Coki Beach or wherever.

I asked about the coach buses because I am traveling with my children and am concerned about safety. I have an 11, 9 and 2 year old and am trying to figure out, first, if we are taking the 2 year old on our excursion (or if dh or I will stay on the ship with him) and second, if we take him, how we would get around with him. I am a huge on car seat safety and don't believe that because I am on vacation, I don't need to follow safety precautions.

If your sole safety concern is a car seat for your 2 year old, I doubt you will find any bus or cab that has car seats available. Is he big enough to sit in a booster car seat? If so, just bring one with you and use that with either a bus or a cab.