How avoid post-cruise depression?

cl.klink

I love to travel, and one of the things I love best is to think about it and anticipate it ahead of time. There is a price to pay, though. After the trip, I come home, where I have a nice life, but I must say there is often a post trip depression -- I have now lost the anticipation of that trip. It's like losing a friend. I know one way to avoid this is to have another nice trip planned, but that is hard to do sometimes.

I will take my 3rd cruise this October, a TA on Equinox from Spain to Florida. It's my wife and my 25th anniversary. Already enjoying it, vicariously, just by anticipating it, reading the roll call, reading about our ports, thinking about what I'll do on ship. But, I want to plan to avoid my post-cruise depression. I am not sure when my next big trip will be. On my last two cruises, I read CC a lot, then when the cruise was over, there was such a void. I am not sure when I can plan to cruise again.

Please, heal me. What shall I do?

-Joel

Find a cruise at least 12 months away which looks really good. Forget about cost or circumstances, just book it. Research it, plan it, and up until the day when cancellation penalties kick in assume that the cost or your circumstances will change. If not, just cancel and repeat the process. The deposit also becomes a ready source of cash which you can access any time you want. Consider the fun of planning a cruise as the return on your investment.

You might be surprised how few times you actually end up cancelling.

You've already discovered Celebrity transatlantic cruises AND Cruise Critic! ;)

The rest is really easy. Google "daily specials on last minute cruises" and do some research. :)

I never pay more than $50/day (usually $40/day) for 14-16 night Celebrity cruises. :eek:

Wait till September 1st (after final payment date) and there will be DEALS galore on fall T/As. :cool:

Just booked ANOTHER for next spring at $699pp with $450 total OBC.

Hahaha, I felt I was reading my own story. EVERYTIME I get off the cruise, I am depressed. I have identified that the depression is more to do with going back to work, than it is to getting off the cruise.

Here's what I do:

1. I book at least 2 cruises while I am on my cruise (Its only $100 pp to book it and completely refundable), as against $250 when I do it on land with my travel agent.

2. Even if I don't/ can't afford it at that time, it gives me something to look forward to. What I miss the most about a cruise is the anticipation, planning, countdown and this ensures that I have another cruise to look forward to. Usually a bigger ship/ new places.

3. I read cruise critic EVERYDAY, it keeps the continuity going (along with excitement levels)

I love to travel, and one of the things I love best is to think about it and anticipate it ahead of time. There is a price to pay, though. After the trip, I come home, where I have a nice life, but I must say there is often a post trip depression -- I have now lost the anticipation of that trip. It's like losing a friend. I know one way to avoid this is to have another nice trip planned, but that is hard to do sometimes.

I will take my 3rd cruise this October, a TA on Equinox from Spain to Florida. It's my wife and my 25th anniversary. Already enjoying it, vicariously, just by anticipating it, reading the roll call, reading about our ports, thinking about what I'll do on ship. But, I want to plan to avoid my post-cruise depression. I am not sure when my next big trip will be. On my last two cruises, I read CC a lot, then when the cruise was over, there was such a void. I am not sure when I can plan to cruise again.

-Joel

Oh, yes.....that after cruise depression! Believe it or not, this year, I was actually feeling a bit sad when my cruise was getting near, knowing how I'd be feeling when it was over!!!

I have always booked next year's cruise a month or two after returning home, just so the research and anticipation can begin again. Anymore, I can't even wait a week to have that next cruise booked!!! In fact, we had decided about our next cruise even before we departed on this one!

Just book another, and begin counting days again! It helps!:D

Find a cruise at least 12 months away which looks really good. Forget about cost or circumstances, just book it. Research it, plan it, and up until the day when cancellation penalties kick in assume that the cost or your circumstances will change. If not, just cancel and repeat the process. The deposit also becomes a ready source of cash which you can access any time you want. Consider the fun of planning a cruise as the return on your investment.

You might be surprised how few times you actually end up cancelling.

I agree with this approach.....gives you options.....even if you do cancel later in favor of something else you will have "soothed" that part of the brain craving the anticipation of another fun trip!!!! (I cancelled 3 trips for this summer before settling on a TA for next spring.....no PCD for me!!!:eek::D)

I, too, have some post cruise depression. I found that if I take lots of fun photos while on the cruise, I can stave off some of the depression by reviewing the photos and organizing them into a book. After the book is made, my husband and i can periodically have a cruise evening where we eat foods we remember from the cruise and look at the photos, remember all the fun things that we did, and retell the funny stories.

After all, it's it all about the memories?:)

Wow, how ironic to see this topic. I was thinking of doing a similar thread. I just got off the Reflection last week. It was the first cruise I had taken in over 15 years and the first for my wife. I spent over 18 months researching, booking and planning for the cruise. The cruise was perfect. We had such an enjoyable time. But the second I stepped off the ship disembarking in Civitavecchia, I experienced the post cruise blues. Not kidding. I sit here now, missing the Reflection and its crew and the new friends we made.

The realization quickly came upon me that even though I sold my wife on cruise vacations, in reality it will be almost two years before the opportunity to go on another cruise may present itself. That's far too long. Don't fret for us though the reason we may have to put off our next cruise is because we already have so many other land vacations in the works. Maine later this summer, Football trips in the fall, Mexico in December, Dominican Republic in February and France next summer. Yes our travel plate is full and work is the only thing left getting in our way for a next cruise. There is an outside chance we could sneak in a Caribbean cruise early next year but that is unrealistic at this point.

I like the idea of booking something way in advance. So hopefully the idea of our next cruise will surface quickly so I can get out of these doldrums and start looking forward to another cruise.

Not to be rude, but to book cruises that you never really intend to take is pretty self gratifying at other's expense.

As an example, you book a specific cruise 12-18 months out from departure. This is often the period of the most advantageous pricing so you probably have locked up a desirable cabin for a desirable price.

That cabin stays unavailable for 9-15 months while you sit on it. Other potential cruisers do not have the cabin available to them, or will have to book a less desirable cabin. Now, you release the cabin just before final payment (often a time of higher prices) and someone else has to pay more. Or, the cabin stays unbooked until the last minute (another low price period) and maybe a lucky individual snaps up the cabin at a decent price (or maybe not). If the cabin goes at a distressed price (or worse, goes unbooked) Celebrity is the loser.

Just my nickel or so...

Not to be rude, but to book cruises that you never really intend to take is pretty self gratifying at other's expense.

As an example, you book a specific cruise 12-18 months out from departure. This is often the period of the most advantageous pricing so you probably have locked up a desirable cabin for a desirable price.

That cabin stays unavailable for 9-15 months while you sit on it. Other potential cruisers do not have the cabin available to them, or will have to book a less desirable cabin. Now, you release the cabin just before final payment (often a time of higher prices) and someone else has to pay more. Or, the cabin stays unbooked until the last minute (another low price period) and maybe a lucky individual snaps up the cabin at a decent price (or maybe not). If the cabin goes at a distressed price (or worse, goes unbooked) Celebrity is the loser.

Just my nickel or so...

Interesting point of view. I've booked some 17 months out and gone on the cruise too....things happen....plans change.....I booked Silhouette 17 months before she EVER sailed and took the cruise...booked Equinox LAST summer for this summer and X cancelled me by selling that cruise to a group that took the whole ship....we lost and X offered no equal alternative sailing...so who was hurt that time? Not the cruiseline, us....but that's okay cause we found the TA sailing and booked it the day it was available......I can't imagine ACTUALLY waiting till final payment date to cancel unless it was an emergency, at least for us we know well before that time whether we are going on any given cruise or not......so it all works out just fine......

Edited by Gracie115

-Joel

I also usually get sad (and cranky) the week we get home from a trip.

Before you go on your cruise how about planning a weekend or even a night away for when you come back home? Go to a town/city close by or to a country inn or stay home and explore your own city (movies, plays, dinner out, art gallery, etc) for a few days. Even a few nights away after you have been back from your cruise for a week or two might be something nice to look forward to. It's hard to get back to "real life" after a good cruise/trip.

Edited by sue58

That's the right attitude. I do agree, though with others who are sad when it is over. Booking a future cruise on board is my cure. then I sit on CC and enjoy others reviews and pictures.:)

I agree with the poster who said just be grateful you were blessed to be on a cruise in the first place. We all love that feeling of walking aboard for the very first time, inserting our cards in the machine and being handed a glass of something welcoming. We're also a bit sad when we walk down the gangway for the last time. We are able to cruise about every 9 or 10 months, but we are like you and do lots of land trips.

Typically we are ready to get home and in our own bed and carry on with our real life, but we do like to have a cruise to look forward to. We've never booked anything unless we intend to actually take it. Only once have we cancelled but we immediately booked an alternate.

Interesting question.

We'll have to discuss this further in October, as we're on the same TA as you. :-)

Wow, how ironic to see this topic. I was thinking of doing a similar thread. I just got off the Reflection last week. It was the first cruise I had taken in over 15 years and the first for my wife. I spent over 18 months researching, booking and planning for the cruise. The cruise was perfect. We had such an enjoyable time. But the second I stepped off the ship disembarking in Civitavecchia, I experienced the post cruise blues. Not kidding. I sit here now, missing the Reflection and its crew and the new friends we made.

The realization quickly came upon me that even though I sold my wife on cruise vacations, in reality it will be almost two years before the opportunity to go on another cruise may present itself. That's far too long. Don't fret for us though the reason we may have to put off our next cruise is because we already have so many other land vacations in the works. Maine later this summer, Football trips in the fall, Mexico in December, Dominican Republic in February and France next summer. Yes our travel plate is full and work is the only thing left getting in our way for a next cruise. There is an outside chance we could sneak in a Caribbean cruise early next year but that is unrealistic at this point.

I like the idea of booking something way in advance. So hopefully the idea of our next cruise will surface quickly so I can get out of these doldrums and start looking forward to another cruise.

I'm just curious -- okay, nosy: Where are your football trips to during the fall months?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What I do to combat post-cruise depression: (1) I keep all the nighttime pillow chocolates and put them in my desk drawer at work. So if I'm having a stressful day at work, I savor one and take a moment to remember the latest great cruise vacation. (2) While on board I write in my cruise journal every evening. What we did, where we were, something funny that happened or that I overheard, an exceptional meal -- a recap of the entire day. (3) I always book another cruise while on board the current cruise--something to look forward to. The journal is great to have. Just recently I was thumbing through it and saw that I had written down a comment from a friend who said, "the people coming out of Blu look angry and anorexic," which made me chuckle all over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The realization quickly came upon me that even though I sold my wife on cruise vacations...

I read this too quickly and thought it said "I sold my wife for a cruise vacation".

I was thinking "he must have been REALLY depressed"

Great responses, everyone! What a good group. I like the idea of booking something on board, if even as a place holder. But, like another poster said, I'm not sure I can get away for another cruise till late 2015 at earliest. How far out can I book when I'm on ship in October?

- Joel

Actually, booking on board may NOT be so easy. Here is a quote from a thread on Summit going to Bermuda:

"The way you book future cruises has now changed. See I told you there was a point! Your deposit amount is now equal to the OBC they give you and is non-refundable. Under the old system when we booked this cruise on board Equinox we paid a $100 per person deposit (refundable) and got a $250 OBC and one category upgrade for this cruise plus our choice from the 123Go. Under the new system you still get the one category upgrade but you get your OBC instantly. Now here is where it gets confusing, the OBC they give you instantly is refundable. So while the deposit amount is technically not refundable if you don't spend the OBC they give you on the ship that will get refunded to your credit card. This is a brilliant move by X. I bet most cruisers don't know the different between refundable and nonrefundable OBC. So they are going to get that OBC and either spend it all, and most likely some more, or not spend all of it. Either way X will be making money. For the Bermuda All In we got our one category upgrade (A2 to A1), the instant $250 OBC, pre-paid gratuities and the classic drink package for out Summit cruise next year. Since we get additional OBC from our TA the fact that we wont have OBC from X is not a huge loss to me. We actually got a refund of $825 from X after this cruise from unused OBC. If any of this is unclear or confusing please just ask! I tried to be very clear here, but I know the new system can be confusing. ... I also remember hearing that they may only be doing bookings this way on the Summit. I would be interested to hear from someone who has been on one of the other ships recently. The Summit is currently serving as a test ship."

Comments?

We were depressed after our first cruise, not so much after our 2nd. I don't know exactly why, but I was ready and expecting it. Perhaps because we had another cruise sailing 6 months later, Alaska, which I was looking forward to even more. Carnival in mid-October was pretty mellow and relaxed, and a minority of sour faces on Royal Caribbean may have played a factor. We had a fantastic time on RCL don't get me wrong, but by the end of the week I was ready to go home.

Any high creates a low, and any low creates a high. Ever go through a period of high stress that suddenly ends, and you're "happy" for weeks? It's the same principle.

The best thing to do is just enjoy the good with the bad. Close your eyes, feel that heaviness in your chest, and acknowledge it. Don't try and fight it, but accept it, and you'll find its potency diminishing. Inner joy can overshadow such feelings of happiness or sadness.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Our children also get post cruise depression and I find the best way to fix it is to never walk off a cruise ship without having another one booked! This works really well. :)

We don't always cruise with the same company but often take advantage of future cruise deposits (on Princess), or booking on board and then having the cruise transferred to the TA for increased reductions and benefits if she can get them (on P&O and Celebrity) or grab last minute deals for bonus cruises (on Costa and MSC).

If you book on board you have to pre-pay the gratuities. If you don't want to put the money down a year in advance for that however you TA can they remove them when you get home so you can pay them while on board and keep the money in the bank in the meantime. ;)