Looking for past cruisers for private tour suggestions for Caribbean.

alexandra cruiser

Have posted under my roll call,but not too active.Have TRIED to contact some tour co.on Tripadvisor.Never responded to emails, websites not working,etc.Now getting frustrated.If you ve taken private tours on any of these islands.Can you help??

Aruba

Bonaire

Grenada

Martinque

St.Kitts

Guadeloupe

St.Barts

Thanks so much. Have looked at tourist website for ea.island with similar results.

have you tried the ports of call forums here?

Many referrals listed but most do group bookings not just small private tours

You may want to just negotiate with a taxi driver when you arrive

I especially liked Aruba. Bonaire is a nothing port. St. Barts, the taxi drivers speak primarily French, but the island is small and not much to see but wonderful beaches. The town is very, very lovely and I loved sitting down by the dock and watching people and having bread and cheese. The Caribbean, in my personal opinion, is not a tour place. Everything is right on the docks. No sense in spending money.

I especially liked Aruba. Bonaire is a nothing port. St. Barts, the taxi drivers speak primarily French, but the island is small and not much to see but wonderful beaches. The town is very, very lovely and I loved sitting down by the dock and watching people and having bread and cheese. The Caribbean, in my personal opinion, is not a tour place. Everything is right on the docks. No sense in spending money.

Caroldoll I completely agree..DIY

Jancruz1

If you like snorkelling, Woodwind Tours is highly recommended in Bonaire. Bonaire Vista tours does an inexpensive tour of the island. Bonaire is one of the most environmentally conscious islands in the Caribbean.

You can get a taxi driver at the dock in St Barts who will drive you around the island pointing out the sites. A lot of people rent a car and drive around the island but there is a lot to see right where the tenders dock.

I agree with Caroldoll. Eighty percent of the charm of the Caribbean is based upon the gorgeous beaches, and clear turquoise ocean waters.

The "museums" are tiny and nondescript, the architecture (except in Martinique) is ubiquitous and surprisingly bland.

Certain islands have "must see Sites", the mountains in St. Kitts come to mind, but other than something like that or a generalized "tour of the island" which will give you an overview, most non-beach tours in the Caribbean are little more than time-fillers for the folks that just can't stand the sun.

We just did a Caribbean cruise on Riviera in March, with some of the same ports. I think it depends on what you want to do - if you just want to go to the beach, you don't need a tour. If you want to be a little more active or see something special on the island, though - I would definitely disagree with the comments that there is nothing to do beyond the dock.

In Bonaire, I second the recommendation for Woodwind snorkeling. It was great.

In Grenada, we booked a private tour to the Seven Sisters waterfalls. The hike is not very strenuous, and the falls are beautiful. On the tour we took, we also got a little drive around the island and stopped for some views. I'm so glad we did it. I think the guy we used was Chris's Tours and Taxi.

Go to tripadvisor and look at the top attractions and activities on the individual islands - you'll get a sense for what's there, and, if you decide to just walk around the port or head to a beach, you won't be missing out on something you'd rather have done but didn't know about.

We spent a day in St. Barts in January on our Riviera Caribbean Hideaways cruise. We rented a car for the day and explored this beautiful island, spending some time at two lovely beaches. You can rent an automatic transmission car; a great way to see this island. The car rental company picked us up at the dock and took us five minutes away to the airport to get our car, thus we did not have to deal with the town traffic.

Car rental idea copied from lovely trip report with photos from 2013 trip of felllow poster computerworks.

Thanks for the Bonaire and Grenada tour tips,will try them both.

Did try Tripadvisor and all 4 emails NOT answered.Did try Ports of Call and same thing,will try 1 more time then just play it by ear,or take O island tour.Prefer to see an overview of the island and any points of interest,not water activity or beachs.I live near beaches in FL,and prefer just exploring island,window shopping,etc.This will be my 4th Caribbean cruise and just like the convenience of driving to port and getting away for awhile,alternate them with European,etc.cruises.

Have tried to take taxi tours in past with mixed results,often all booked when big ships in port.Even had them ask for MORE money after,run out of gas,you name it.Prefer to book in advance,less hassle.

Thanks for the Bonaire and Grenada tour tips,will try them both.

Did try Tripadvisor and all 4 emails NOT answered.Did try Ports of Call and same thing,will try 1 more time then just play it by ear,or take O island tour.Prefer to see an overview of the island and any points of interest,not water activity or beachs.I live near beaches in FL,and prefer just exploring island,window shopping,etc.This will be my 4th Caribbean cruise and just like the convenience of driving to port and getting away for awhile,alternate them with European,etc.cruises.

Have tried to take taxi tours in past with mixed results,often all booked when big ships in port.Even had them ask for MORE money after,run out of gas,you name it.Prefer to book in advance,less hassle.

Aruba has wonderful beaches but if you're not into that, a jeep safari type tour through the island is very interesting. We did it once before but can't remember the company. The topography, as someone once said, looks like the moon might look like - very strange rock formations. Also, on the other side of the island we saw all sorts of tropical fish just by putting goggles on and going in to knee high water. I can't scuba dive and am nervous in water over my head so this was a treat for me.

I saw that jeep tour,but was worried if DH has to drive.Is it very rough?He prefers having someone ELSE drive so HE can enjoy it,not be a chauffeur.

Alto I LOVE to swim,that sounds like a nice alternative to dragging my special goggles(with correction)around.Just use regular and enjoy the sites.

Love these suggestions.CC ers are so helpful.Thanks.

I guess I'm just a pollyanna, but I find lots to see and do in most Caribbean ports, and never go to the beach. No, the Caribbean does not offer anything close to the sightseeing possibilities of, say, Europe, but I disagree that you should just save your money and stay at the port.

We absolutely loved Barbados, and I never would have guessed that before I started looking for information about it. In Grenada this year, we took a very interesting spice tour that was worthwhile. I liked Grenada a lot, as a matter of fact!

I have info on St. Kitts (very nice!) and Grenada which I'll dig up and post in a few minutes. We also were in St. Barts (very nice), where we rented a car and drove around. My pictures are at http://www.pbase.com/roothy123 - look for a couple years back for St. Barts, and St. Kitts and Grenada this year. And yes, definitely go to the Ports section of Cruise Critic for more info!

Edited by roothy123

Basseterre, St. Kitts – Mon. Mar. 3, 8 to 5 - cruise port (Port Zante) with domed welcome center has lots of shops/restaurants, including Tiffany Bar & Deli for local fare. Port site (scaspa.com) doesn’t show anyone on 3rd. but cruisett shows Adventure of the Seas there (3114 pax) plus us. Two minute walk to shops & town. Very interesting island, with dormant volcano, rain forest, beautiful ancient fort, lovely beaches, & pretty little Basseterre with Victorian Caribbean architecture. East Caribbean dollar (2.70 per 1 USD so 10EC = $3.70, 50EC = $18.50) used but U.S. dollars widely accepted, though may get change in EC. Always clarify if quoted U.S. or EC dollars.

Tour with Ashton, from Roystontoursstkitts.com: You circle island clockwise starting on Caribbean side touring Basseterre then working around to Atlantic stopping at Romney Manor, Caribelle Batik, Brimstone Hill Fortress, Dieppe Bay point, Black Rocks, Timothy Hill & a few other scenic places. Tour is about 5 hours, then have lunch (roti & drink) at beach (South Friars) on peninsula where you can have some beach/snorkel time if you like before heading back. $45 each including drinks, lunch & entrance fee. As soon as get to port go through big entrance building & I will be on other side facing you with sign of my name & wearing yellow shirt. Cell is 869 663-4529; you can ask anyone at port to make call for you. Meet 8:15 - 8:30. Pay after trip, cash. NEED TO TAKE SNACKS!!!!!!

There'll be taxis & vans at pier & folks to share tour. The open jeepneys are fun, cost negotiable around 15 - 20 USD per person for about 3 hours around island & with various stops & ending at beach. Or cheaper for much more limited tour, so check what's offered by drivers before you choose. It's bit pot-luck, but generally cheaper & easier than pre-booking shared trip. They avoid going up to Fort Brimstone because of steep road, but you'll still get good tour.

Car & scooter rental: Avis is right by pier. Costs $50-60 but permit is $24. Also is Island Scooter Rentals, Cayon Street, 869-465-854. Also Islandwide Scooter Rentals, Caunt Street, Newtown, Basseterre, Tel: 869-466-7841 Fax: 869-466-8487. Also St. Kitts Motorcycle Rental Ltd (looked at - $65 for scooter/gas; must purchase $24 license; we pay for accidents!) Bay Road, Newtown, Basseterre, 869-465-5533, Web: http://www.ridestkitts.com

For local color, explore back streets off Bay Road, where you’ll find chickens & goats wandering freely & roadside stalls selling fish, flowers & fruits. View of Carib & Atlantic: Celeb tour says “A short drive off road will bring you to St. Peters area. Here you disembark & walk up to Milliken Mountain top. Breathtaking panoramic views looking down, entire valley of Basseterre & across Caribbean Sea await you.”

Romney Manor has ruins of somewhat restored house, reputedly once property of T. Jefferson, 6 acres of gardens, old bell tower, old, knarled saman tree. Caribelle Batik inside & you can watch. On Old Rd, free, daily 9-5.

Brimstone Hill open 9:30-5:30, $10 or 6EC. Looks fun to photograph. UNESCO site. Nature trails snake through tangle of surrounding hardwood forest & savannah. Good place to spot green vervet monkeys. Brimstonehillfortress.org

St. Kitts Scenic Railway is narrow-gauge train that transported sugarcane to central sugar factory starting in 1912; is all that remains of sugar industry. Two-story cars circle island in just under 4 hrs. Usually departs 8:30. AC & narration, good seats. $89 in 2012. Stkittsscenicrailways.com

Golf: See p-o.

Other tours: http://**********************/The_Tour.html (also very popular, $48, AC, lunch not included). Also is Island & Paradise Tours with gets great reviews on TA. Island meets 1 hr. after docking; $48. Try Rosevelt Taylor from Island Paradise Tours – fantastic. Another person: We used Javin. He is amazing.

http://www.stkittstourism.kn/explore-st-kitts-activities-attractions-historical-sites.php looks like good web site with descriptions. Terminal has board with taxi rates. Per IG 2003 book cab for 4 to Hill costs $35. Viator has railroad excursion for $145. Ferry to Nevis $8 & takes 45min. Goes Basseterre to Charlestown 9:30, 10:30, noon, etc. per http://www.nevisisland.com/seatransportation.htm in late Dec. Returns 12, 1, etc. Ferry dock is close to cruise port. Is another ferry from Majors Bay on St. Kitts. See skyviews.com for good tourist map. Taxi drivers at St. Kitt's offer tours.

TI in Pelican Mall in Basseterre.

Internet: Usually café, but never stays in one place too long; ask at TI in Pelican Mall. Twist & Sweet Lime have WiFi & are near port, maybe terminal. Caribe Café on Bay Rd at Wiggly (east on Bay). KFC on Bay Rd west of supermarket.

Food: Tiffany Bar in Welcome Center at dock is recommended in F’s Cruises book.

St. George’s, Grenada (Windward Isl. – and also a part of the Grenadines, which are shared by St. Vincent) - Wed. Mar. 5, 8 – 5 Only ship in town per 1 Grenada web site. Allan’s message (AJMeddy@hotmail.com): “We have confirmed you for March 5th West Coast Tour. We can carry up to 10 persons in van, but we only join persons who have agreed to join. Pick up time will be at 8:15 a.m. Look for AJ Meddy sign & your name inside Welcome Centre behind Security checkpoint.” XXXX from DE joining us. They’re in 9060. Ask Allan if he can drive us down Herbert Blaizes on way back. Jan. 4 email: The price for tour is USD 140.00 for 1-4 persons ($35PP). Any extra person will pay USD 25.00 each. Entrance fees USD 2.00 per person. Allan. Web site says 4 hr. tour includes: Halifax Harbor (one of first in Grenada), Concord waterfalls (swim optional), Douglaston Spice Processing Plant, Gouyave Nutmeg Station, Belvedere Estate to view different spices and Eco-tourism sites, Grand Etang Rainforest where Grand Ftang Lake can be viewed.

EC used (2.70 per 1 USD so 10EC = $3.70, 50EC = $18.50). Cruise ship terminal is near Market Sq, on north side of St. George’s. There’s welcome center with maps & terminal opens out to Esplanade Mall & minibus terminus. Spice market close by. Water taxi is to right of pier (south about half block, signs in Esplanade Mall point way) & bus terminal to left (north). (See more info below). Island is 21 miles long & 12 wide. Taxis are unmetered & must agree on price beforehand. Inexpensive & comprehensive buses are crowded. Town is hilly but can take taxi ($3 or $4 in 2010) or water taxi ($4) to Carenage or Grand Anse. Grenada is #2 exporter of nutmeg, with most going to U.S., Canada & Netherlands. Cocoa goes to Switzerland & Belgium. Most Grenadians are descended from slaves brought by French & Brits; most Catholic. Most tourism comes from cruise ships. 2 other islands with Grenada – Carriacou & Petite Martinique. The underwater sculpture park is off of Grenada. Diving is big. People are a little sensitive about having picture taken. Dominica gained its independence in 1978.

Gouyave Nutmeg Processing Coop (think at Central Depradine St.) is very hot; interesting, & IS a coop. $1. If feel rushed, ask for more info. Within couple miles is chance to explore working spice plantation, Dougaldston Estate. It is not as vibrant as before, but still worthwhile per Bradt. Stone wall denotes you are there. Left turn takes you to still functioning cocoa station & straight ahead from stone wall, uphill, takes you to overgrown but interesting ruins, including an acqueduct, Great House at summit of hill & copper pots used in cane juice filtering. Halifax Harbor is near the landfill, but has wreck & ruins, so is mildly interesting per Bradt. Coastal road gives good views down into harbor. Belvidere is also not as vibrant as before, but site is remote & nice.

Grenada Discover Train starts at 9 outside Esplanade Mall. Tix are $20 & can be purchased at kiosk in cruise terminal; runs every 45 minutes. First stop is Fort George, then past Summer House, where get panoramic view of Carenage. You see one of Grenada's historical landmarks - National Museum. You can take pictures of waterfront at Herbert Blaizes' View Point. This is hop-on / hop-off tour with 45min. intervals at each stop. Entrance fees to Fort George & National Museum are included. Also $25 ride to Richmond Hill forts farther out. Grenville has bigger nutmeg processing plant & tour. Annandale waterfall is about 50 feet, small & somewhat unremarkable, but it's a scenic, yet hair raising, ride.” Falls have tropical garden that most people don’t see. EC5$ for River Antoine tour & samples.

Carenage: (See map): To walk from cruise terminal to Carenage is about 5 mins. if you walk tunnel & about 10 mins. if go hilly-through-town route. To get through town rather than tunnel, come out of terminal & go straight across road towards market.....at traffic lights go into market & look about or keep going straight (you can go right but it isn't as interesting)......turn next right up small street (flow is down this road on right)...at end follow road right or take more interesting cobbled road & stairs up towards Anglican Cathedral.... Church St., at junction with Halifax St. you’ll find atmospheric St. Georges Anglican Church from 1800s and destroyed by Hurricane Ivan in 2004. Most people in St. Georges practice Christian religions. Unfortunately the three main houses of worship (Roman Catholic, Anglican & Presbyterian) have roofless churches! Locals apparently worship alternate venues until damage is finally repaired.

After church, mosey right & follow road back down towards some traffic lights....turn left at lights & head down towards Carenage with batik shop on left & Tikal on right; museum down on right too. For tunnel, it’s only 350ft long only. Stay on right side as you walk to Carenage (left on way back), walk fast & let others walk out & around you; hug wall. Will take too long for taxi; walking is best.

Christ of the Deep statue was presented by Costa in remembrance of ship Bianca C which burned & sank in harbor in 1961. (See map for details.) Midway along Carenage & adjacent to Christ are red old English phone boxes, seen from all vantage points. Near here can probably walk up to Herbert Blaizes St. for view of Carenage, but uphill??

Town & on walk to Carenage: Young St., off Carenage, leads to Baytown area & along way there is small museum, plus Market Sq. with lively Sat. market & less lively every day morning market. There is even more interesting walk if take second right from Young to see church. Seeing St. G takes only an hour. The Market in St. Georges is riot of color, wonderful smells, friendly people, spices, fruit, music & even Rastafarians selling souvenirs. It reaches full peak on Saturdays. Even if you don’t buy anything at least enjoy fresh coconut drink. Fish Market is fun.

We walked to Fort George, very close to ship. We exited pier terminal & turned right. There is stairwell to right of tunnel. Just climb until get to top. It's about 15 minutes up stone stairs & ramps. Fort will give you photo opportunities & has old, decrepit lighthouse! Here’s story: When I returned home mother sent me to run an errand. As I got closer I saw several pockets of protesters headed to heart of town. Some were chanting “Free we Leader”. The leader was young, charismatic & much loved Maurice Bishop. He was under house arrest, with Minister Jacqueline Craft, carrying his child. I was relieved to get back home & told mom what I had seen. She was happy I did not join protesters, many of whom were school children. Early that afternoon there was gun fire. We saw scores of people emerging frantically over hills that separated my village from town. As afternoon unfolded we learned that Maurice was rescued by loyalists & taken to Fort George. He was preparing along with supporters to go to Market Square to address the huge gathering, when fort was stormed by armored vehicles. A fight ensued, many were injured & no one knows just how many died. There is only one entrance to Fort George, so for those trapped the choice was either getting past machine gun fire coming from armored vehicles at entrance, or jumping over high walls. Maurice & Ministers & supporters on Fort George were captured. They were all, including pregnant Jacqueline Craft, lined against wall & riddled with bullets. Six days later Ronald Reagan sent troops into Grenada (1983). The US invasion was welcomed by Grenadians who wanted nothing to do with faction that seized power & murdered their leader. Queen Elizabeth II was displeased with US decision to invade without British consultation. Grenada became independent in 1974 but is still member of British Commonwealth.

If buy spices or spice jewelry: for necklaces get brown paper bag (good vendors should have) as this allows them to breathe. I also read vendors will tell you when smell does finally fade (I'm at year now & they smell lovely) dip them in hot water & air dry. Pop them in microwave for few seconds. Essence is cheap but has other ingredients – read labels!

Grand Anse Beach: Can go by taxi, shared minivan or water-taxi. Beaches on Grenada are low key, with no highrises allowed & only bar with music is concrete bunker built into sand. There’s craft & spice market at mid-point; normally no bargaining. “Most folks take water taxi ($8 RT) to Grand Anse Beach. Water taxi is at north (right) end of beach. They collect tix at dock. Trip takes 15 minutes. Be aware they like to wait till boat fills up so 15-minute ride might take 45! We opted to take local bus ($1 US). For bus depot look for 2-deck parking garage with mini-vans another half block from water taxi dock. If take bus, you want Zone #1 bus to Grand Anse (& back to St. Georges), written on windshield. If take water taxi, upon arrival you'll get swamped with offers for chairs & umbrellas. I suggest you walk away from dock, past spice market & settle in area away from crowds. If arrive by bus, get off at Spiceland Mall, cross street & walk 1 block down driveway to Umbrellas, an airy, clean, comfortable restaurant with great food. Prices are in EC Dollars & $1 USD = $2.70 ECD. We enjoyed grilled barracuda (two thick grilled white filets) with side of "rocket & potato salad". Rocket is non-bitter local leafy vegetable. We also ordered ginger ale & local Carib Lager. With tip, total was $58 ECD (about $22 USD). Upon exiting Umbrellas, you'll find yourself on less crowded section of beach (3/4 down beach from water taxi). When done, reverse your steps.” “I tend to take buses as they run every second. They blow your eardrums & drive like maniacs – may want to opt for taxi (same vehicles but with one guy instead of 2 (driver & conductor). Ask in bar to get price & agree on price.” South side is most private. The Park Side (Camahogne Park entrance) gets you to park side, most accessible entry point if you are not driving. The bus stop is 3 minute stroll away. It’s middle of beach … easy to go South Side or North Side from here. Shopping Mall right across street. North Side is where most cruisers end up. Spice Market in this area plus vendors.

If you're looking for breathtaking views of Grenada, including lush vegetation & magnificent scenic cityscapes & landscapes, Fort Frederick is place to be. You can relax at Ft. Matthew's mini bar that recently re-opened. It is located on lower level of fort. Getting there by Taxi: ~25EC (~10USD). Entrance fees vary depending on time of year. During peak season in large numbers, they will likely charge you PP less than 5EC PP.

- See more at: http://www.grenada-beaches.com/grenada-attractions/fort-george/#sthash.YLG3jePG.dpuf

Grand Etang Natl Park is rain forest with volcanic crater-turned lake at center. If you can grab banana then you'll have something yummy to hand feed monkeys. In cruise season the world heads up there so if get there later in day monkeys may be full. One person said about lake: “No guide who could tell us anything. Just person in box that took our 5 EC$. Not "must see"-thing.” Someone else: “didn't see monkeys.” Another: “Views up/back were great. Keep camera handy!”

River Antoine Rum Distillery is on NE coast. Guided tours of work (circa 18th C). Spice Basket Cultural Village (has web site) is little craft places, small cricket museum, food. Is on road to Etang & Annandale. Belmont Estate 1 hour from SG.

See more at: http://www.grenada-beaches.com/grenada-beaches/grand-anse-beach/#sthash.506V1R0d.dpuf

One person says chocolate factory is fun & they give you sample. Other person says it’s just store.

Grenada produces 12 spices: cloves, ginger, cinnamon, black Pepper, Clove, Musk Ochra, Sapote, Sesamu, Tonka bean, Vanilla mace & Nutmeg. Nutmeg is most important with Grenada producing 40% of world’s supply. It is versatile spice & exported for use in restaurants & beauty products. There is also nutmeg oil, jelly, jam, soap. Nutmeg is also exported for patented medicines. It has been used to treat pain, digestive problems, as aphrodisiac, combating asthma, heart complaints & sedative. It takes 6-7 years for new tree to bear nutmegs so it will be some time before Grenada regains its position as No. 2 exporter in world (Indonesia 1?) Prices all over seem to be fixed & are same in town, country & airport.

The flag of Grenada is made up of Pan-African colors of Red, Gold & Green reflecting island’s African heritage; current flag adopted in 1974. There are 7 stars which represent parishes. The central star is within red disk & is dedicated to Saint George. However, St George is not Patron Saint of Grenada. On flag in left corner is nutmeg clove.

It is relatively easy to get cash in Grenada, particularly St. Georges. ATM machines are all over country & many will accept PLUS & CIRRUS system cards as well as MasterCard & Visa.

IF can, go down to Ruth Howard, & see pro America paintings on way (see GE).

Food: On menus might see tatu (armadillo), manicou (possum), iguana or turtles. Dolphin steaks are tuna. There’s also ice cream shop selling, among other flavors, avocado & Guinness!

Tours (other than Meddy): “Read good things about Stan. He has tour that is Annadale Waterfall, Spice Shop, Grand Etang Rain forest/Volcano Lake/National Park, Ft. Frederick & Grand Anse beach. I will return you to ship when ready. $50 & includes admission fees." He has van that holds 6-8 people & one that holds 10-12. The website is http://jnjtours.com/Grenada (JnJ Tours - Stan). Kennedy Tours & Pete’s Mystique “We enjoyed Mandoo Tours 4-hour half-day "Spice Plantation Route" tour. (Mandoo Seales – went to spice plantation, Etang to see monkeys, Annadale Falls, Grand Anse if want). NDC – Shore Excursions Group: This half-day tour will give you great feel of Grenada. 45-minute drive gets you to Gouyave. You will pass by modern Nutmeg Processing Station, one of largest nutmeg processing factories on island & where most of island's spices are processed for export. Your first stop will be Dougaldston Estate. Down bumpy road you step back in time as spice estate comes into view. You will visit boucan, building with huge drying trays on rails that can be rolled under building if it rains. May find mace, cocoa, cinnamon, pimento, or cloves out drying. Inside, you'll be led to table where you will "scratch 'n sniff" leaves. Whole spices available for purchase. Driving into hills, you visit Belvedere Plantation, nestled in cool of mountains. Here, you can see one of island's prime exports as climate is ideal for producing bananas. Continue driving to Grand Etang Forest Reserve, where photo stop will be made at Lake. Time will be taken to see if we can attract mona monkeys, which are unique to Grenada in Western Hemisphere. You will also have photo stop at Annadale waterfall. Also, looks like JnJ Tours offers $50 tour to Annadale Waterfall, Spice Shop, Grand Etang/Volcanic Lake, Ft. Frederick, Grand Anse. Includes admissions. Gizfriend (Melissa) signed up; someone else using Mandoo.

Grenada is south of "hurricane belt." Unfortunately on September 7th 2004 Hurricane Ivan, most severe category 5 storm, tore Granada apart. Not one of heavy stone churches was left with roof. Smaller family homes simply disintegrated. Few buildings can withstand force of winds up to 165 mph. More than 20 people were killed & over half the houses damaged or destroyed.

Internet: Sol City Sports Bay looks to be at or near pier. Per F’s 2012 - Java-Kool Internet Café on Carenage. Just inside cruise terminal is café with internet, but must buy $3.50 drink. One person says there’s “Internet Plaza” near dock, too, but check rates – pricey! Another person: I can't remember name of place but there is mall outside cruise port & I used Wi-Fi in electronics store on 2nd floor.

Web sites or cams: http://www.webcamgrenada.com/grenada-webcams/harbour-webcam

Food: Nutmeg on Carenage is good for lunch. Simple food. Overlooks harbor. Local says, “I recommend either Nutmeg or BBs Crabback (very farthest west on Carenage, closest to cruise terminal). Both have great food & great views. There is Ocean Grill too but haven't been there for long time.”

Golf: Grenada Golf Course & CC NE of Grand Anse has 9 hole & club rental. Doesn’t mention carts or costs.

Sorry that Grenada info came out all run together.

I didn't keep any notes on St. Barts (wasn't as obsessive about researching back then!) However, one unofficial tourist spot in St. Barts is on the road above the airport! Small planes come practically right over your head on the approach to the runway in St. Barts. We rented a jeep in town (maybe Avis?) and so were able to go up there, pull off the road, and wait about 15 minutes until one came by. I have to admit it was fun! St. Barts is a beautiful island and worth getting outside Gustavia to see some of it. The port is also nice. You'll probably tender to a spot right in the middle of the marina area there. Some people rent little open jeep-like vehicles to zip around, but I don't know much about them (whether they're good for the rest of the island, cost, etc.) There is a dinky lighthouse you'll see up on a hill above the town. It affords a nice view after a short uphill climb. We didn't have much time to walk around Gustavia - I gather it's pretty French, rather expensive, and has some great food, but other than that, I can't help much!

http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/caribbean_cruise__jan_2010&page=all will get you to my 2010 photos of St. Bart. (St. Bart is about half way through the pictures.)

Edited by roothy123

Roothy has FAR more info than I do about the Caribbean, and it's 10 years since we've been there.

But while we usually just bartered with a taxi driver for a tour (when we weren't just walking around town) we occasionally booked a tour ... usually for just us or perhaps another couple.

Time has passed and the outfits we used no longer seem to exist ...

But we would still go the "walk around town" route or barter with a driver if we returned to the Caribbean ... which we probably will NOT do.

Mura

I m going to look at your photos, plus copy of this great info. Really SO helpful.APpreciate the time it took to gather and sure many others will find this useful.Will put a link to this on the roll call.

Mura, thanks and LOVE your cat pic,looks just like my Rihanna.Have 2 others and a beagle.

I meant to add that while the Royston tour of the island was worthwhile, the optional snorkeling at the beach at the end is no big deal - somewhat rocky beach (not the best the Caribbean has to offer!) and I'm not sure what's there, as I only went in to cool off and didn't snorkel. Also, the food comes late in the tour (as described on the web site) and is mostly a non-spicy roti wrap - your choice of a couple meats. It was only so-so, but I was hungry...might want to bring a snack to eat either before or at the late lunch stop! At the beach, my husband and I amused ourselves by photographing the mongoose that came close to the beach area. I don't really think the beach should be encouraging them to come, as they can be kind of nasty creatures, but at least they were interesting. They do NOT come onto the beach, however, just close. Overall, the tour was worth the 5 hours we spent and the tour guide (cousin of Royston's) was great - very knowledgeable and personable. The tour is a shared tour in a minivan.

The tour guide in Grenada was also very knowledgeable and personable. He, like the Royston guide, spoke excellent English with little accent. (St. Kitts and Grenada are basically English-speaking countries.) I think some Caribbean countries require training and licensing to do tours, so the quality of pre-booked tours is probably higher than a tour provided by a cab driver.

Edited by roothy123