Uk cruisers new itv programme

tartanexile81

Still trying to stay positive about our first Princess cruise on Regal next month. Very disappointed with the programme. However, we have deducted the following from the rather annoying British women .. Do we need to bring our own mushrooms , as it appears that Princess does not serve them and I shouldn't rely on the laundry service.

I wished they had focused on more positive passengers, surely there are enough buffet items not to worry about missing mushrooms and I usually take enough clothes not to result in washing them and hanging them in a bathroom. As for positioning yourself where the free drinks are served on formal night. From past cruise experiences said "champagne" usually tastes like paint stripper.

I haven't seen the program yet, and I'm so sorry to read all the negative reviews. We were on the ship when they were filming. Loved the ship, loved the cruise and we are booked on the Regal next year. The laundry service was a problem because there were so many elites onboard and some unscrupulous people were taking advantage of the free laundry service. I haven't read any complaints about the laundry service since that sailing. I'm sure you will have a wonderful cruise.

Edited by sasha'smom

I agree that wasn't good. If I hadn't already been on a cruise, I wouldn't be trying if after that. But if I liked cruising and hadn't tried princess it wouldn't make me want to try them. Sorry Princess, you've not done cruising or yourselves any favours. Just hope it gets better for second episode.

It obviously was not bad enough to keep you from wanting to see more.

And I cannot imagine what the vet was thinking of, saying what she did - obviously trying to make sure she made the final cut :D

We love Princess (another Elite 'snob'!) and feel the powers-that-be at Princess made a really bad decision in allowing this tacky and rather boring view of Princess to be broadcast. In no way does it tell non-cruisers anything about how relaxing a cruise really is.

I'm not sure that veterinarian odd ball was was either a real veterinarian or a real passenger on the ship. I'm not sure she and her equally odd ball husband weren't actors paid to make cruisers look ridiculous.

Hi There

She must have been real as she said the animals were always being sick or weeing on her after seeing her performance onboard you understand why they did what they did. She has made many of her fellow passengers feel sick.

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Aside from the ridiculous woman being discussed here, I didn't think it was as bad as everyone is making it out to be. It's a documentary, not a travel video. It isn't to promote Princess or cruising, it's a behind the scenes look, and I enjoyed that. I saw so many familiar faces, passengers and crew. It is interesting to realize the scenes are part Caribbean and part TA, but that is not unusual when they film something like this. I remember going to a taping of a TV show years ago, and when we watched it on TV we realized part of it was the dress rehearsal and part was what we saw filmed. That's show biz.

I do wish they didn't rush through everything, but that's because I'm wanting to relive the experience.

I wonder if that woman will be embarrassed by her comments after seeing herself...I would hope so, but isn't that what they always say about reality TV....the more obnoxious, or outrageous it is, the better it is for the show? I mean, here we are all talking about it, and that's exactly what they want.

I remember "the cruise" which featured Jane McDonald. A popular UK programme, not sure whether you saw it in the US. This potrayed the lives of the crew on Celebrity in the early 90s. This was a fascinating behind the scenes look at how entertainment ratings affected staff. It showed different passangers who were demanding but all the time showed Celebrity in a professional, sophisticated light, which made me want to go on a cruise. Unfortunately, Princess has failed to do this.

I remember "the cruise" which featured Jane McDonald. A popular UK programme, not sure whether you saw it in the US. This potrayed the lives of the crew on Celebrity in the early 90s. This was a fascinating behind the scenes look at how entertainment ratings affected staff. It showed different passangers who were demanding but all the time showed Celebrity in a professional, sophisticated light, which made me want to go on a cruise. Unfortunately, Princess has failed to do this.

I thought it was P&O?

I thought it was Celebrity Galaxy. There was that ridiculous women on there that took her teddy bears on the cruise with her and the poor waiting staff had to also serve the teddy bear. The trouble is these characters make the television programme and I bet we will all be watching next week to see what this other ridiculous women on the Princess cruise says next.

I thought it was Celebrity Galaxy. There was that ridiculous women on there that took her teddy bears on the cruise with her and the poor waiting staff had to also serve the teddy bear. The trouble is these characters make the television programme and I bet we will all be watching next week to see what this other ridiculous women on the Princess cruise says next.

I'm fairly certain it was the Galaxy and the filming started during her maiden 1997 season and was first broadcast in 1998.

I saw the programme and thought it was dreadful.It wasn't just the passengers and laundry fiasco,but the music and the patronising commentator...it was like a kids programme.

If I hadn't cruised before I would not want to based on that episode.It was everything I tell people a cruise isn't..I am not elite but would not believe for one moment that anyone who is,is as bad as the woman made out.

Princess should have surely,seen the 4 programmes ready to go out before they were aired.

Well the good side is, if people have been put off from cruising with Princess by this,their cruises may well be more peaceful with less passengers.

I would be worried if I were Princess. They have not got a good advert there for their product.Lets see what next week holds.

:confused:

I saw it as well and it's was shocking, terrible marketing by princess they have made their product look everything it's not.

If I had never been on a cruise there is no way after watching it I would ever set foot on one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Aside from the ridiculous woman being discussed here' date=' I didn't think it was as bad as everyone is making it out to be. It's a documentary, not a travel video. It isn't to promote Princess or cruising, it's a behind the scenes look, and I enjoyed that. I saw so many familiar faces, passengers and crew. It is interesting to realize the scenes are part Caribbean and part TA, but that is not unusual when they film something like this. I remember going to a taping of a TV show years ago, and when we watched it on TV we realized part of it was the dress rehearsal and part was what we saw filmed. That's show biz.

I do wish they didn't rush through everything, but that's because I'm wanting to relive the experience.

I wonder if that woman will be embarrassed by her comments after seeing herself...I would hope so, but isn't that what they always say about reality TV....the more obnoxious, or outrageous it is, the better it is for the show? I mean, here we are all talking about it, and that's exactly what they want.[/quote']

I agree. A fun, lighthearted piece of television about a fun and lighthearted activity.

I enjoyed seeing some more of the Royal and it looked lovely.

Of course that poor woman was edited to look as outrageous as possible. You need a long spoon when you sup with the media.

Just looked on facebook, apart from replying to the one post that actually says the programme was enjoyable?? & another that talked about a forthcoming cruise on a completely different ship!!, Princess have chosen to ignore any negative feedback.......and there is a lot.

I can't imagine Princess didn't have any kind of editorial control over what was eventually shown......if they did, who thought this put them in anything but a bad light? If they didn't, then shame on them

Wonder if we'll all get emails next week reminding us to watch episode 2 :rolleyes:

I'm tuning in just to see if there's any improvement although I won't hold my breath ;)

Aside from the ridiculous woman being discussed here' date=' I didn't think it was as bad as everyone is making it out to be. It's a documentary, not a travel video. It isn't to promote Princess or cruising, it's a behind the scenes look, and I enjoyed that. I saw so many familiar faces, passengers and crew. It is interesting to realize the scenes are part Caribbean and part TA, but that is not unusual when they film something like this. I remember going to a taping of a TV show years ago, and when we watched it on TV we realized part of it was the dress rehearsal and part was what we saw filmed. That's show biz.

I wonder if that woman will be embarrassed by her comments after seeing herself...I would hope so, but isn't that what they always say about reality TV....the more obnoxious, or outrageous it is, the better it is for the show? I mean, here we are all talking about it, and that's exactly what they want.[/quote']

I agree with the above post and would like to suggest if you remove " Mandy " from this video I observed hard working, pleasant staff attempting to meet the standards we have enjoyed from Princess. Having said that, surely out of over 6000 passengers ( 2 cruises combined ) one wonders why this one passenger was given so much onscreen time? Just my opinion.

Respectfully

Louise

It's just like the Fred o cruise programme a load of rubbish. After watching that series I would never cruise FO...its prob v good, and after this first episode would never cruise Princess......but I have ......3 times.... And I am doing again ...This is a TV show edited for their wishes not the cruise lines...hoping to make good TV ..but I don't think its even going to do that!

I thought that about Fred Olsen but we got a great deal to the Canaries on Braemar this past January and the cruise was excellent. We had the nicest MDR food we have had on ANY of our cruises. We also had free inclusive drinks as part of the offer and the wine was every bit as good as that which we purchase in the $30 range on Princess. (Would not pay more than that for wine anywhere). The gin and tonics were very good as well 😄

This is a "reality" show. Not a promo for cruising with Princess, or the wonders of cruising (which I do love, by the way). Princess did not make this, had probably had very little control over what they chose to show. The crew was on the ship for the TA as well as the Caribbean. They never mention the scenes are taken from two voyages, because they took what they liked from each voyage. If Princess had control would they let that women be such a jerk? Would they let it be known about all the problems they had with the laundry because of so many Elites? No, they would have chosen all the positive scenes, of which I am sure there were many, and concentrated on the wonderful time had by all.

TV shows don't work that way in reality TV. The people who sign up to do it sign contracts saying anything can be shown, good or bad, and they have no say in what is chosen. The TV producers want controversy because it makes for "good TV". This show is not design to promote cruising as a way of traveling (our favorite way, might I add), I suspect Princess was approached about doing this, and jumped on the opportunity to show off their beautiful new ship. There is Nothing I saw that would make me not want to cruise, or not want to cruise on a Princess ship. Do I enjoy the commercials that show the wonders of cruising, yes! But, that's not what this is about. I'm anxious to see if all the interviews I know were done, that were so positive, because I was there, made it to the final cut, or are on the cutting room floor. Guess we'll have to tune in next week to find out.:)

Didnt do Princess any favours at all. It didnt sell the ship and made out all passengers were geriatric or excentric and dislikeable. Not an enjoyable 30 mins at all. I cannot see this benefitting Princess through more bookings.....if anything fewer bookings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are newbies booked on a med cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse in September. We were lured to the idea of cruising by good shows on TV like "Mighty Ships"

This show for us was awful and has made us slightly concerned that in our early 40's we'll be surrounded by people much older than us, weirdos that you'd normally cross the road to avoid and regular cruisers looking down their nose at us newbies.

Just looked on facebook, apart from replying to the one post that actually says the programme was enjoyable?? & another that talked about a forthcoming cruise on a completely different ship!!, Princess have chosen to ignore any negative feedback.......and there is a lot.

I can't imagine Princess didn't have any kind of editorial control over what was eventually shown......if they did, who thought this put them in anything but a bad light? If they didn't, then shame on them

Wonder if we'll all get emails next week reminding us to watch episode 2 :rolleyes:

I'm tuning in just to see if there's any improvement although I won't hold my breath ;)

I showed my husband the Facebook comments this morning - and said exactly the same as you did. The only times Princess gave any feedback was to the comments which said something good about Princess, and there were only 3 or 4 of those! Somebody in another thread said how it looked like the TV programme 'Benidorm'. They weren't wrong - one scene looked exactly like that! I will watch the next programme, just to see if it's as bad as last night's :D

This show for us was awful and has made us slightly concerned that in our early 40's we'll be surrounded by people much older than us, weirdos that you'd normally cross the road to avoid and regular cruisers looking down their nose at us newbies.

That's the problem. Clearly, that was the impression the producers wanted to leave with viewers--why would they feature "Mandy" so prominently otherwise? Yes, there were other things in the show, but what the viewer is left with is memories of Mandy and her attitudes toward older people and elites. As I said before, the show was edited to showcase as many "geriatrics" as possible, especially around the pools. Then there were the "manufactured" crises: Will the waiters ever arrive to serve the canapes? Will they all spoil in the heat? Will the hairdresser make it through her contract? Does she call her Mum too often? Will the "snobs" (elites) get their clean knickers before formal night? It was typical reality (factual) television, designed to make cruisers look ridiculous for the purpose of entertainment. It was definitely not a documentary.

We are newbies booked on a med cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse in September. We were lured to the idea of cruising by good shows on TV like "Mighty Ships"

Dont worry. We are in our 40's and have done two Eclipse cruises and have another in Oct. The passenger age range is much wider and the atmosphere less stuffy than has been portrayed on this program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That was a PR disaster! The obviously didn't bother to check which passengers they were putting in the limelight. So they use a 30 minute TV slot a HUGE opportunity to advertise Princess in the UK (of which they barely have a marketing budget for) and they totally blow it!

They had no directorship at all here. What was the aim? It was like it was trying to be a documentary that documented nothing, then slipped in a weak reality show with a nausiating introduction to crew members you care nothing for.

They couldn't have picked a more 'unique' couple on the ship if they tried. Princess is a top brand this made it cheap. Aside from the odd 5 second shot of the glass walkway they showed absolutely NOTHING of the ship nor what else there is to do on a ship apart from dance with old people and go to formal night. Anyone new to cruising will see that as expensive, cheap, excentric, and "fuddy"

What a total disaster, someone should take the blame for this because it even made me dislike the brand, which I don't. This will quite categorically damage bookings. A sensational failure that I'm sorry to say could have been put together by college students.

Edited by xdudex

I watched it today and thought it was just another typical "reality" show. "Mandy", the crazy passenger, The "Newbie" salon worker, away from home for the first time, the overworked laundry guy, etc, etc. When you get that many people in one spot, I don't imagine it is too hard to pick and choose an "interesting" personality or two. It is funny that ITV calls it a Documentary. I also thought the narration was pretty condescending. That said, it seems any PR, good or bad always seems to work in favor of the product. There was a series here in the states about Southwest Airlines a few years ago. It put the airline and it's employees in a good light but the passengers they found were for the most part, pretty scary and downright strange. Did not seem to hurt that airline one bit:-)

49er

Edited by 49er

I think buying an airline ticket is different to deciding whether to travel on a cruise ship. One many see flying as just wanting to get from a to b as quickly and cheaply as possible. A cruise maybe someones annual 2-3 week holiday where they're spending significantly more money and time and it needs to be pretty perfect.

This program scared me off Princess - the impression I got (no doubt incorrectly) is they're an old fashioned cruise company stuck in a time warp, an old-ancient clientele, many of whom appear to be nuts who I'd dread ending up on a table every night with them. Lost laundry and laundry delays for paying passengers caused by too many people using free laundry - not a good message.

I would have thought that Mrs DYKWIA and I were the demographic Princess would be aiming for as future cruisers. Based on program 1, I don't think so for at least another 25 years.

I find it strange that Princess would sanction something like this without having some form of editorial control - the incessant audio commentary by John Thomson is a disaster - mocking staff and their customers, unbelievable. Even the whimsical music score throughout seems to create the wrong tone.

Some of the camera shots of old folk bathing appeared voyeuristic, this wasn't a public beach or public facility - i assume people gave permission to be filmed.

I wonder if this will be yet another one of those documentaries that will be accused of fabricating scenarios for TV entertainment by some of those who will no doubt claim to be misrepresented in the weeks to come.