New job vacation, need advice VERY bad?

Ok my wife, my 13 month old son and I are booked on Explorer to Bermuda in late August. We are actually both having interviews this week with the same Municipality. Me a blue collar job, hers an office job. Anyway we are all paid up on the cruise. Will they let us go, or will we end up eating $2,300 bucks? When would I tell them we had this family vacation planned? How does all this typically work? I don't leave jobs often so I have NO IDEA how this all works, I certainly never was hired with a vacation planned and paid for. Thanks for any help, I really need it.

usually at some point they will ask you when you can start and/or if there is anything upcoming that will effect your ability to work the hours/days you are hired to do.

while most employers will not have a huge problem knowing up front about previously arranged vacation plans, failure to let them know can be seen as a sign of duplicity on your part.

if the vacation falls amid your training or orientation period, that is bad form.

it is not the employers problem that it is non refundable.. that's what cruise insurance is for.

As someone who works for and does hiring for a municipality, I would wait until they offer you the job. From the time you interview to the time you actually start working, can sometimes take up to 4-8 weeks.

Paperwork has to be processed up the chain, drug tests, background checks (depending on the department), physicals, etc. These things can take time. Plus you will probably have to give a 2 week notice to your current employer. By that time you may be back from your cruise. And if you are close to your cruise time, you can ask for a later start date.

Ok my wife, my 13 month old son and I are booked on Explorer to Bermuda in late August. We are actually both having interviews this week with the same Municipality. Me a blue collar job, hers an office job. Anyway we are all paid up on the cruise. Will they let us go, or will we end up eating $2,300 bucks? When would I tell them we had this family vacation planned? How does all this typically work? I don't leave jobs often so I have NO IDEA how this all works, I certainly never was hired with a vacation planned and paid for. Thanks for any help, I really need it.

Speaking as a retired employer.

Tell the truth regarding your previously booked vacation. They are interviewing you. If they want you as a person then the vacation will not cause a problem. Declaring the holiday will show honesty, integrity and openness (not hiding anything from prospective employers).

Put yourself in the position of an employer, asking how long would an new employee last if a candidate deliberately held back a very important fact, only declaring after gaining the position?

Good luck!

Thank you very much for the advice. Its kinda a mix, tell them in the interview or only when offered. I think mentioning it in the interview is the right thing to do, especially if given an opening like if they ask something about availability. A family member already works for the department I'm trying to get into. I just don't want ANYTHING screwing this up. My commute will for 70 miles a day to 10! Pay is better too, not a whole lot at first but in time much better.

This is just me, When they ask when you can start or if they offer you the job, THEN, tell them about the non-refundable cruise that you planned months and months ago, and ask if you can start as soon as you get back and then you can say BUT, if you need me to start sooner you can tell them this job is more important than a cruise vacation, maybe then they'll appreciate your honesty and feel bad for you can say "start when you return".

This is just me, When they ask when you can start or if they offer you the job, THEN, tell them about the non-refundable cruise that you planned months and months ago, and ask if you can start as soon as you get back and then you can say BUT, if you need me to start sooner you can tell them this job is more important than a cruise vacation, maybe then they'll appreciate your honesty and feel bad for you can say "start when you return".

That is almost exactly word-for-word what I was planning on saying. Almost word-for-word, amazing. We think alike I guess, thanks for the post.

I have hired hundreds of people in my career. Under no circumstances should you mention your vacation during the interview. The interview is the time to sell yourself and all responses should focus on your desire to work for that municipality.

If offered the job, as others have posted, it may be that they need a few weeks or longer to get you started and it is also possible they may ask you what works for you.

The bottom line is go on the interview, get the job offer and ONLY then tell them that you can start at the date they give you but you do have a vacation planned and can that be worked into the schedule. If they can't, then forgo the vacation for the new job.

I have hired hundreds of people in my career. Under no circumstances should you mention your vacation during the interview. The interview is the time to sell yourself and all responses should focus on your desire to work for that municipality.

If offered the job, as others have posted, it may be that they need a few weeks or longer to get you started and it is also possible they may ask you what works for you.

The bottom line is go on the interview, get the job offer and ONLY then tell them that you can start at the date they give you but you do have a vacation planned and can that be worked into the schedule. If they can't, then forgo the vacation for the new job.

Interesting info, thank you. I guess I will go with that advice, it does make sense though.

Of course, if you are asked about availability and when you can start, then by all means, yes, be honest. But if not asked, there is no need to mention until you are actually offered the job.

Bingo. That's the answer. Wait until it is offered. You'll be asked when you can start. If your vacation falls after the start time just tell them you can start on a specific date but will be away one week due to a pre-arranged family vacation. Sometimes employers will even let you use your vacation up front. When I started with my previous employer 16 years ago I had a vacation planned and needed a couple of days off shortly after I started. It was no problem. I used a few days holidays.

If you really want this job you may have to decide if the new job is worth giving up the vacation. If it is then you should explain to them, sooner rather than later, that you have a cruise already booked and fully paid on such and such date. Tell them you want to work here it would be a really good fit for you and that you would give up the vacation if absolutely necessary. Tell them not to let the vacation factor into their decision. This way you are up front with them and it shows them you really want the job.

Employers are more flexible with people that are open and committed to them.

This happened to me earlier this year. I interviewed with a different school system. My current school had a winter break in Feb. and we had a cruise planned and paid for. I told the principal during my interview. It wasn't a problem, I still got the job and was able to go on my previously planned cruise. Honestly upfront is always best!

Interesting info, thank you. I guess I will go with that advice, it does make sense though.

Hey, you told me "I" was the "winner" of what you were going to say:D don't you just love "CC":)

Hey, you told me "I" was the "winner" of what you were going to say:D don't you just love "CC":)

As you can tell I am still in limbo as to what to do:eek:! Hiring managers though are saying not to say anything in the interview unless specifically asked. I don't really know what to do :confused: but I only have a few more hours to figure it out because interviews at 1:00!:D

As a hiring manager, don't mention it until you have an offer and then make it part of the negotiations. It isn't their business until then and it may lower you on the list of candidates.

I love the advice and it makes sense to me, but it is a labor union covered position so I don't know they'll be much negotiations. I would think everything is governed by the CBA. I've only help labor union positions but have never been in the predicament before. Job is more important than anything though. Its so close to home, no commute.

As you can tell I am still in limbo as to what to do:eek:! Hiring managers though are saying not to say anything in the interview unless specifically asked. I don't really know what to do :confused: but I only have a few more hours to figure it out because interviews at 1:00!:D

I'll pray that you'll know what to say, let us know how it goes - hope you get the job!

Prepare yourself for a good interview. Don't stress now. You've read the options, go with your gut at the time. You need to worry about getting the job(s) first. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

,,,ought to know that candidates are going to have made summer vacation plans that they will have to accommodate - this is only a week - it's not a 6 week vacation or anything - be honest but don't volunteer the information until the negotiation begins, (unless they ask - then be honest).

I have been in this situation twice. Once they just asked that I make up the time, the other I just didn't get paid. The latter was a union job, so they couldn't grant me "early vacation" and instead just put it as a week of unpaid leave.

Yes, as others have said, don't mention it until you get the offer.

As a business owner of over 25 years (now retired) I would tell you NOT to mention the planned vacation during the interview.

Why?

Simple.

I want an employee that will focus on his job and his company first and foremost. Telling me about your vacation tells me your agenda does not meet my agenda.

If however, I decide to hire you - then is the time to tell me when you can start. The reason why you can't start until that time never comes into play - unless SPECIFICALLY asked.

Your situation happens more than you probably think.