Island Princess Alaska 7/11-16: Very Nice Cruise Bookended by Awful Embark/Disembark

Cahroozer

Just returned from from a wonderful Alaskan cruise that followed a Princess land tour. This was our first Princess experience and we found a lot to like about it.

However, getting on the ship in Whittier and off in Vancouver were dreadful experiences. We arrived at Whittier on the very, very slow Princess train late in the day, having started our bus/train journey at 10:30 a.m. at the McKinley Lodge. By 7 p.m. we were among hundreds of people still in line waiting for security clearance, although the ship was to sail at 8. Once we got aboard about 7:25, we had to then go back out and participate in the safety drill from 7:45 to 8:10. Then we could start to unpack and eat.

The mess at the Vancouver port almost made me miss my plane. Perhaps i was expecting too much, but I was surprised it took two hours and 15 minutes from the time we walked off the ship at 8 a.m., the earliest possible disembarkation time, until we could enter the airport in town. Getting off the ship and finding the luggage was smooth. But getting people on shuttle buses and to the airport was disorganized. Those managing the crowd acted as if they had never done this before, and were confused, although I admit that we actually benefited from their lack of skill and our line was moved ahead faster. If not, I would have missed the plane without a doubt since I was initially denied check-in. Good grief, don't these people do this several times a week?

It also took the woman in charge of loading our bus 15 or 20 minutes to board the people waiting to get on. She was overwhelmed and upset, worried that too many people might get on, so she only let a few at a time board. She was literally shouting at people to back up and wait.

I would recommend that travelers disembarking in Vancouver take a look at the lines and consider a taxi rather than the Princess shuttle if you have any doubts.

However, we found the rest of the cruise delightful for the most part. We both remarked that the food was excellent and the staff was wonderful. We were surprised at how speedy room service was ... we joked that they were probably already standing in the hallway when we called for coffee in the morning. The dining room staff was great until the last night, when inexplicably the service just completely fell apart. It didn't help that the table next to us was populated with drunken people whose uproarious dinner was being egged on by a waiter doing an off-color dance with a napkin and a spoon at his waist. Very strange.

We really liked the live music in the atrium and we liked the way the ship was decorated. Waitresses in the lounges were warm and welcoming. I sought out one of them and made sure I gave her an extra tip and a hug on the last night. Our steward was also one of the best we've ever had.

We found the minisuite to be much smaller than the junior suites on RC, which we're used to. Having two TVs in such a small room that could use more shelf space is odd. They put a full sofa in the room, which also seemed to take up extra space. The Horizon buffet was smaller than we have seen before. The breakfast menu for room service was also more limited. The Island Princess is somewhat smaller - 1,900 passengers I believe - and so it seemed a bit scaled down in several ways. The entertainment wasn't terribly good, but a ship that size may also have a reduced budget for such things.

Nevertheless, this ship gave us a very good experience in many ways and we especially appreciated the staff and the food.

Once we got aboard about 7:25, we had to then go back out and participate in the safety drill from 7:45 to 8:10. Then we could start to unpack and eat.
Thanks for the review. Just a comment that I have never, ever heard of or experienced a Princess muster held outside. Do you mean you had to go down to a lounge?

We sailed from Vancouver to Whittier. Boarding in Vancouver was horrible. It took forever and we had to wait in numerous long lines - go through customs multiple times - US AND Canadian. Debarking however in Whittier was amazingly quick.

We too loved the smaller ship - it was our first Princess cruise after having been on 17+ other cruises.

By 7 p.m. we were among hundreds of people still in line waiting for security clearance, although the ship was to sail at 8. Once we got aboard about 7:25, we had to then go back out and participate in the safety drill from 7:45 to 8:10. Then we could start to unpack and eat.

Thanks for the review. Just a comment that I have never, ever heard of or experienced a Princess muster held outside. Do you mean you had to go down to a lounge?

Think that they meant going "back out" of their Cabin

We found the minisuite to be much smaller than the junior suites on RC, which we're used to. Having two TVs in such a small room that could use more shelf space is odd. They put a full sofa in the room, which also seemed to take up extra space. The Horizon buffet was smaller than we have seen before. The breakfast menu for room service was also more limited. The Island Princess is somewhat smaller - 1,900 passengers I believe - and so it seemed a bit scaled down in several ways. The entertainment wasn't terribly good, but a ship that size may also have a reduced budget for such things.

Just FYI - the mini suites on the Coral and Island are very similar to the Grand class ships (if not identical). Princess buffets on most of their ships are similar and not laid out the best. Princess cruisers just get used to it. Breakfast room service menu is the same for all the ships also. And about 2 years ago, Princess reduced their production shows to 30 minutes and IMO, has spent quite a bit less on entertainment in general. If you go on some other Princess ships, you probably will experience the same situations you posted above. This is pretty much how Princess does things on most of their ships.

We had a similar mess in Vancouver years ago and it was explained to us then (on here) that port operations for the most part are not Princess staff. This limits what Princess can do in any given situation other than point to their contract with the port and make threats about renewal (and everyone knows Princess will NOT be leaving Whittier or Vancouver anytime soon)

Just FYI - the mini suites on the Coral and Island are very similar to the Grand class ships (if not identical). Princess buffets on most of their ships are similar and not laid out the best. Princess cruisers just get used to it. Breakfast room service menu is the same for all the ships also. And about 2 years ago, Princess reduced their production shows to 30 minutes and IMO, has spent quite a bit less on entertainment in general. If you go on some other Princess ships, you probably will experience the same situations you posted above. This is pretty much how Princess does things on most of their ships.

Reading posts on other lines tells me they are all cutting back. I guess the competion on pricing is more important than on quality. As I've often said "It's a Walmart world".

We were on the same cruise. Embark were horrible for me. I have Raynaud's which is very poor blood to my fingers and toes. Being cold is very painful and can result in finger uclerations.

We were the last car from the train to get in line at Whittier. It was in the 40's, raining and winding. Part of the walk was covered but still very cold. I had a sweater, jacket and gloves on, but that was not enough. It was a very long line that take 35 minutes to get into the termimal. We are elite and there was NO prioity boarding. There was enough room in the termimal for everbody but they only let so many in at a time. Why?

As a result to be cold for so long I now have 2 very bad finger uclers.. These can take months to heal. Have been to my doctor. Really no treatment but to take care of the ucler and take strong pain meds.

I talk to Passenger service manger and the Captain circle host. I was told that my comments were being pass on and that is the way it done. The word SORRY was never said by anyone.

Well I am sorry how I had 2 very painful uclers to try and heal. Princess just did not care.

Pam

Just returned from from a wonderful Alaskan cruise that followed a Princess land tour. This was our first Princess experience and we found a lot to like about it......................

The mess at the Vancouver port almost made me miss my plane. Perhaps i was expecting too much, but I was surprised it took two hours and 15 minutes from the time we walked off the ship at 8 a.m., the earliest possible disembarkation time, until we could enter the airport in town. Getting off the ship and finding the luggage was smooth. But getting people on shuttle buses and to the airport was disorganized. Those managing the crowd acted as if they had never done this before, and were confused, although I admit that we actually benefited from their lack of skill and our line was moved ahead faster. If not, I would have missed the plane without a doubt since I was initially denied check-in. Good grief, don't these people do this several times a week?.................

Nevertheless, this ship gave us a very good experience in many ways and we especially appreciated the staff and the food.

Glad your cruise thru Alaska was a great experience................and have to agreee with you on debarkation in Vancouver...........exiting the ship was fairly decent but slow getting to the airport and our luggage arrived off the ship an hour later than when we arrived.........had to run thru the airport to get to the gate and we were the last ones on when the doors closed........won't do that again:mad:

From now on we arrive the night before a cruise and stay the night after a cruise before our flight home.........a lot less stress;)

Last year when we left the ship in Vancouver, took ship's transportation to Seattle. Never had to claim our luggage as it was loaded on the bus before we even boarded(special tags for this).

Bus was sealed so when we got to U.S. border, didn't have to exit bus or offload luggage. Straight to airport in Seattle, luggage taken off bus (thank goodness it was actually there). It was so easy. No huge lines with people or luggage in Vancouver.

However, the best and easiest disembarkations are in Seattle and San Francisco.:D

Edited by san diego sue

I agree about the poor timing of embarkation. I didn't like getting to The ship so late. We were on the same sailing and had a flight at 11:30 from Vancouver. We were off pretty early, about 7:45. We had the direct transfer that was supposed to save lots of time. We ended up having about 45 minutes before our flight. Still a long time in line! Overall, it was a great cruise!

Reading posts on other lines tells me they are all cutting back. I guess the competion on pricing is more important than on quality. As I've often said "It's a Walmart world".

In some ways, but not in others. For example - RCCL is expanding their entertainment and has very good shows on their ships. For example - they are doing Cats, Mama Mia, Hairspray and Chicago productions! Heck, their ice skating show that they have been doing for 15 years is amazing.

Doesn't NCL have the Blue Man group? Not that I would go but they are doing more in entertainment when Princess is cutting back.

Edited by Coral

We haven't been on Princess since 2009. We will be doing the Alaska cruise tour in August. Hope to not have any problems with disembarking. For many years we have done the self-disembark on other cruise lines and have not had any problems. Hopefully, we won't encounter any problems doing this with Princess in Vancouver.

RCCL is/will be also charging for some shows/venues as is NCL (on our upcoming breakaway cruise there are at least 2 pay entertainment venues).

And they are balancing it with cuts other areas. RCCL servers cover more tables than Princess ones do, and Princess is already cutting it thin. Despite recent changes, I think Princess is still far ahead in food (subjectivity applies).

Different lines choose to spend revenues in different ways...

In some ways, but not in others. For example - RCCL is expanding their entertainment and has very good shows on their ships. For example - they are doing Cats, Mama Mia, Hairspray and Chicago productions! Heck, their ice skating show that they have been doing for 15 years is amazing.

Doesn't NCL have the Blue Man group? Not that I would go but they are doing more in entertainment when Princess is cutting back.

We haven't been on Princess since 2009. We will be doing the Alaska cruise tour in August. Hope to not have any problems with disembarking. For many years we have done the self-disembark on other cruise lines and have not had any problems. Hopefully, we won't encounter any problems doing this with Princess in Vancouver.

Self-embark seems smart. However, in my experience the problem was not getting off the ship or locating luggage, but what happened after that. You may want to be prepared to opt for a taxi to the airport so that you'll have more control over the transportation. If you're among the first to leave the Princess ship you might avoid the large crowds. But the lines for the shuttle also included HAL passengers, and they may already be in line when you get there.

I forgot to mention that we always take a taxi and NEVER the ship's shuttle. We have found out that it is always cheaper and easier to take a taxi for getting to the ship or leaving the ship after a cruise.

We had a similar problem with disembarkation in Vancouver in June - very disorganized and approximately 2 hours from ship to airport. Airport security was at an all time slow as well, another hour there. Many folks around us missed their flights out of Vancouver. Not sure what's happening, as this has never been an issue the past five times we've traveled out of Vancouver.

My experience in May was very different on the Coral (Whittier to Vancouver). I use an independent shuttle at Canada Place to get to the airport. $14 online, $15 at Canada Place. Large van, but not a bus. They leave when they are full. There are people with signs as you walk through the terminal. Disembarkation went smoothly. Called a few minutes past our time. The line moved, but slowly. Found out luggage, handed the form to officials, and as out the door.

Getting on in Vancouver is always a challenge. I did a b2b2b from LA. Left the ship to do a walking tour. Getting back on was a zoo with three ships at Canada Place. I heard from those who stayed on board (in transit) that it was a circus.

Leaving Vancouver airport was the fastest I've experienced. They have Kiosks to process you. Yes, the lines are long, but it went fast through US customs. You scan your passport, answer a few questions, and the machine spits out a document to hand to the official and you are on your way. Flight was for 1:30. At the gate by 11 (left the ship at 9). We were asked to volunteer our seat for added compensation. That was a bonus!