Smoking on balconies - why does HAL still permit it?

cassandra44

All other cruiselines have now prohibited smoking on balconies and the lone exception is HAL.

Having cruised on Oceania and Celebrity just recently we assumed that HAL had adopted a similar policy and we are disturbed to discover that smoking is still permitted. I really wish I had not booked our upcoming Med cruise with them. Had I known I would have opted for a different company.

We would urge all other non-smoking passengers to bring pressure to bear on HAL to have a no smoking policy which permits smoking only in designated areas. It works very well on all other major cruiselines and there is no reason for HAL to continue with a policy that causes serious inconvenience - and is a health risk - to non smoking passengers.

All other cruiselines have now prohibited smoking on balconies and the lone exception is HAL.

Having cruised on Oceania and Celebrity just recently we assumed that HAL had adopted a similar policy and we are disturbed to discover that smoking is still permitted. I really wish I had not booked our upcoming Med cruise with them. Had I known I would have opted for a different company.

We would urge all other non-smoking passengers to bring pressure to bear on HAL to have a no smoking policy which permits smoking only in designated areas. It works very well on all other major cruiselines and there is no reason for HAL to continue with a policy that causes serious inconvenience - and is a health risk - to non smoking passengers.

Its all about money. Now smokers only have HAL to choose from.

DaveOKC

DaveOKC

I don't know about that... Do you really think they want to be branded the "the smoker's choice"?

Why they have not stopped balcony smoking is just a matter of time....

Given the half-dozen or so current threads on the same topic, I'm not sure why you thought it necessary to start yet another one while adding nothing new to the discussion. I sympathize that you find yourself on a cruise that allows smoking, but it really is your responsibly to do the necessary research before booking.

DaveOKC

My guess is the choice takes into consideration that MANY of HAL cruisers are European or Asian or Australian -who's HOME rule is NOT as restrictive as USA/CANADA. I am NOT a smoker and never have been -nor in DH -I cruise HAL because the itineraries are found there that suit us -AND we ADORE the Indonesian crew -and we like the Dutch/EU officers/execs. We prefer MUCH longer itineraries and prefer to sail out of or back to USA with shorter flights! Its simply a preference choice! ;)

I don't know about that... Do you really think they want to be branded the "the smoker's choice"?

Why they have not stopped balcony smoking is just a matter of time....

Perhaps - but it were me, I would wait a bit and see if future bookings are improving due to NCL and other lines now discontinuing smoking. If no significant change, likely they will move forward to no smoking.

Given the half-dozen or so current threads on the same topic, I'm not sure why you thought it necessary to start yet another one while adding nothing new to the discussion. I sympathize that you find yourself on a cruise that allows smoking, but it really is your responsibly to do the necessary research before booking.

Plus one!

OP, if you had spent any time at all on this forum you would have known that smoking is allowed (so far) on HAL balconies. While smoke free balconies would be a minor benefit to me, I much prefer the wide open spaces of a HAL ship, especially the quarter mile Promenade deck to the 10-foot (port) balcony and 10-foot aft of lido I had on the summit. That ship really had NOWHERE else to enjoy the views. Look at the positive and enjoy your cruise.

Roy

Plus one!

OP, if you had spent any time at all on this forum you would have known that smoking is allowed (so far) on HAL balconies. While smoke free balconies would be a minor benefit to me, I much prefer the wide open spaces of a HAL ship, especially the quarter mile Promenade deck to the 10-foot (port) balcony and 10-foot aft of lido I had on the summit. That ship really had NOWHERE else to enjoy the views. Look at the positive and enjoy your cruise.

Roy

What they said!

Plus 2 - do we really need yet another smoking thread. It's all been said over and over again.

I received an e-mail from NCL yesterday that smoking will not be allowed on balconies for our Nov. 2014 cruise. I didn't realize all the other cruise lines had adopted this smoking policy except for HAL.

Plus 2 - do we really need yet another smoking thread. It's all been said over and over again.

I'm another one who does not understand why there is a need for another smoking thread when the OP could have said the same thing on one of the other threads!!

My guess is the choice takes into consideration that MANY of HAL cruisers are European or Asian or Australian -who's HOME rule is NOT as restrictive as USA/CANADA.

I understand that Australia is ahead of North America in regards to regulating smoking. Carnival Australia had no smoking on balconies since it's inception.

Europe is catching up fast ... I think much of Asia isn't on the same page in regards to smoking. :)

The more threads there are on this subject, the more likely HAL is to take notice and eventually take action.

Nobody is forcing anyone to read them if they do not want to.

Exactly. Move on if you are not interested. What I especially like is people that think it's ok to harass people that don't share their views.

Exactly. Move on if you are not interested. What I especially like is people that think it's ok to harass people that don't share their views.

I knew you were feisty, cruz chic, but didn't realize that you were looking for fights! :)

I think that since there are six posts saying something along the lines of "not another smoking thread" it is important to point out that each time you post on a thread it brings it to the top of the page, thus encouraging more posts. If a thread annoys you or you think it is redundant and you don't respond then the thread will drop to the second page and die a natural death.

Judging from past smoking threads I'm not sure people realize this because they keep posting about how annoying the topic is.

I have no dog in this fight, we're waiting until the policy changes before booking HAL again. Just taking our vacation money elsewhere.

I understand that Australia is ahead of North America in regards to regulating smoking. Carnival Australia had no smoking on balconies since it's inception.

Europe is catching up fast ... I think much of Asia isn't on the same page in regards to smoking. :)

Balconies and cruises aside, I can't remember the last time smoking was permitted in a restaurant or enclosed area of bars/pubs. That is throughout Europe and Asia. So it isn't really a matter of catching up, the laws are there but followed with less enthusiasm by some feisty nationalities. Perhaps you mean there are more smokers ? Possibly so.

Many countries with warmer climates have terraces or other outdoor areas for smokers often with a drinks service provided. Even in the UK, with our lousy weather, the pubs often have beer gardens with smoking areas (our weather is glorious at the moment):)

Only HAL, and I repeat, only HAL can correctly answer this question. Too bad they won't do that.

HAL has, effectively, answered OP's question. They are selling cabins to smokers.

Like all other lines, they are in business to make money. If committed smokers represent just 15% of the cruising population! perhaps HAL has decided to serve that market niche - which has been handed to them on a silver platter by virtually all other lines tightening restrictions on smoking.

As long as their ships sail full, their bean counters may have the final say: work their competitive advantage to the hilt.

I am not a smoker - I like HAL - I wish HAL would seriously restrict smoking, but with the present environment, I am afraid that HAL has too much to gain by continuing their present policy.