Tipping in bars/lounges

viajante74

I could ask why do those who tip extra feel it necessary to toot their horns?

This is a valid discussion of the customary tipping practices. It is not for you to judge others, and nobody is telling you not to tip extra.

igraf

It wasn't horn tooting. People were answering the original question that started off this post.

I would urge you to reread the thread, because but my interpretation, there are definitely people who are telling you not to tip extra. In fact, it's being referred to as bribery.

At the end of the day, the nob-tipping public still has their more in their pockets. That should comfort them some. I've never seen tippers get better service on a HAL ship. It's a completely different story in big cities like New York, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and Miami.

It wasn't horn tooting. People were answering the original question that started off this post.

I would urge you to reread the thread, because but my interpretation, there are definitely people who are telling you not to tip extra. In fact, it's being referred to as bribery.

At the end of the day, the nob-tipping public still has their more in their pockets. That should comfort them some. I've never seen tippers get better service on a HAL ship. It's a completely different story in big cities like New York, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and Miami.

Are you trying to tell me that the plastic glass I get at the SeaView Bar for my can of Coke is NOT Waterford Crystal? The ice in it is NOT from Glacier Bay? I just always took it for granted that it had to be better than everyone else's can of coke and glass with ice as I gave the bartender an extra dollar. Oh boy am I ever gullible.

Edited by Laminator

Are you trying to tell me that the plastic glass I get at the SeaView Bar for my can of Coke is NOT Waterford Crystal? The ice in it is NOT from Glacier Bay? I just always took it for granted that it had to be better than everyone else's can of coke and glass with ice as I gave the bartender an extra dollar. Oh boy am I ever gullible.

Pretty much. If its makes you feel better, we don't get a better pour out of the bottles of wine on which we paid corkage already. Whether we tip or not, we still get 750ml of wine.

I could ask why do those who tip extra feel it necessary to toot their horns?

This is a valid discussion of the customary tipping practices. It is not for you to judge others, and nobody is telling you not to tip extra.

A couple posts were removed by the mods, but there are still some in this thread that most certainly are telling others not to tip extra, even going as far as to call it a bribe.

But even so, your comprehension is a little off because I was answering the question posed in this thread.....and nowhere do I tell anyone else how they should tip. My post you quoted is a response to someone else doing just that.

Yep...you're right...Corruption...You should see the pour I get form my can of coke. My can is always twice as large as everyone else's can.

Strawman. See the post above where the poster states that he tips to get a bigger pour (when did pour become a noun btw) but only pays HAL for a standard measure.

Strawman. See the post above where the poster states that he tips to get a bigger pour (when did pour become a noun btw) but only pays HAL for a standard measure.

Pour became a noun in 1790.

http://i.word.com/idictionary/pour

It first appeared in England.

Just because someone posted that they tip to get a better pour doesn't mean that it's universally true. I stated that I haven't seen a difference in service, but it's okay to ignore that and choose only the facts that fit your argument?

You can easily perform an experiment to test your theory. Tip a little the next time you are on a HAL ship. See if there's a magical transformation in your experience. If there is not, as I expect, you can sit back, with a grin on your face, several dollars per day in your pocket, and have a hearty laugh at those who are tipping.

PS - Yes, it was a straw man, but it was a sarcastic, humorous straw man.

Edited by POA1

Pour became a noun in 1790.

http://i.word.com/idictionary/pour

It first appeared in England.

Just because someone posted that they tip to get a better pour doesn't mean that it's universally true. I stated that I haven't seen a difference in service, but it's okay to ignore that and choose only the facts that fit your argument?

You can easily perform an experiment to test your theory. Tip a little the next time you are on a HAL ship. See if there's a magical transformation in your experience. If there is not, as I expect, you can sit back, with a grin on your face, several dollars per day in your pocket, and have a hearty laugh at those who are tipping.

PS - Yes, it was a straw man, but it was a sarcastic, humorous straw man.

Interesting, I have never heard it used or written as a noun except on this forum.

Of course I chose the facts that fit my argument as most people do. It would be pretty daft to choose other ones.:D

But if someone claims that they get more if they tip the waiter then it may well encourage others to think they will also benefit.

But don't worry I won't tip over the 15% I'm already paying. All I want is what I order in a clean glass served to me in good time. 15% is enough to cover that.

Others are free to hand whatever additional money they want.

Interesting, I have never heard it used or written as a noun except on this forum.

Of course I chose the facts that fit my argument as most people do. It would be pretty daft to choose other ones.:D

But if someone claims that they get more if they tip the waiter then it may well encourage others to think they will also benefit.

But don't worry I won't tip over the 15% I'm already paying. All I want is what I order in a clean glass served to me in good time. 15% is enough to cover that.

And that is the point.

Whether or not to tip additional is personal choice.

Each decides for themselves.

I'm not sure about the tipping part, but it certainly helps to buddy up to the bartenders! We have never spent much time in the bars, but on our last cruise with family, my BIL frequented them frequently! He took DH with him, too, and they had a grand time, and got to know a lot of the bartenders. They (and we wives when we were with them) got great service, extra peanuts or snacks, etc., (maybe even larger "pours") but there was no tipping involved until the end of the 28-day cruise, and even then, DBIL didn't tip extra, although DH did. But it was very nice to be known, and perhaps they appreciate the heavier drinkers just because the 15% included gratuity goes into their coffers. We also, of course, mentioned them by name in our final survey.

I understand what that poster said. The point I was trying to make is that there is not always an ulterior motive involved from those who do tip.

I feel I have been quite fortunate in my life. A few extra bucks here or there is not going to have an effect on me personally. But for them it means a lot.

Plus I have spent numerous hours at the SeaView Bar and honestly the way some of the pax treat these kids I find appalling.

I find it a bit interesting that folks who choose to not tip are often inclined to insinuate tippers should cease doing so. I rarely read a message where there is an underlying message of 'I tip so you should, too'. Tippers who say they do so make their choice known but I truly do not feel they are telling others what they should do.

I find it a bit interesting that folks who choose to not tip are often inclined to insinuate tippers should cease doing so. I rarely read a message where there is an underlying message of 'I tip so you should, too'. Tippers who say they do so make their choice known but I truly do not feel they are telling others what they should do.

That's what I have been trying to say. It's none of my business whether you tip or not and I could café less whether you tip or not. It should not be anyone else's business what I do. I take up a bar stool and am drinking a coke that he makes 29 cents on. The other pax are drinking cocktails or beer that he makes nearly $1.00 on. I am simply trying to make up the difference.

Edited by Laminator

I understand what that poster said. The point I was trying to make is that there is not always an ulterior motive involved from those who do tip.

I feel I have been quite fortunate in my life. A few extra bucks here or there is not going to have an effect on me personally. But for them it means a lot.

Plus I have spent numerous hours at the SeaView Bar and honestly the way some of the pax treat these kids I find appalling.

Agree 100%. If you can afford it and want to "spread the wealth" a bit, thats great. I am sure it is appreciated by the crew.

DaveOKC

This is the first time I have ever heard about a "union" on

the ship for stewards.

Do you know what union is involved??

There was a National Union of Seamen in the UK but I think it's gone now. A friend worked in their local offices here many years ago but houses have now been built on that site.

I'm sure there must still be unions for seamen operating somewhere in the world, though. I'll have a google later - interesting question.

Edited by chrispb
typo

This is the first time I have ever heard about a "union" on

the ship for stewards.

Do you know what union is involved??

I don't know the name of their unions but the Filipino and Indonesian crew have union.

I imagine a google search would provide information if anyone is interested.

I hope you noticed that that was a Merriam-Webster dictionary!:D For us Brits/Canadians, only the Oxford Dictionary will do. When my children were at school in the States, one day one brought home a report card that said "She is doing real good in English". DH (Irish) had a fit, and made me go back to the school to reprimand the teacher. She pulled out her M-W and showed me where it said "real" could be used as an adverb, and "is" took an adjective!. We live and learn.

I hope you noticed that that was a Merriam-Webster dictionary!:D For us Brits/Canadians, only the Oxford Dictionary will do. When my children were at school in the States, one day one brought home a report card that said "She is doing real good in English". DH (Irish) had a fit, and made me go back to the school to reprimand the teacher. She pulled out her M-W and showed me where it said "real" could be used as an adverb, and "is" took an adjective!. We live and learn.

You are indeed correct. It's not in the Oxford University Press Dictionary. It's use traces to 1790s England, during the Georgian Era. Perhaps you're spending too much time putting in the extra letter u and sticking an s where a z should go. :D

Edited by POA1

One of the most negative and degrading consequences of cash tipping is that is leads to collusion between crew members. Waiters who wish to maximize their income are forced to pay dining room managers for larger tables and forced to pay cooks if they want their orders quickly and prepared perfectly. Cabin Stewards must pay their house keeping supervisors in order to be assigned more expensive cabins and also pay laundry room supervisors in order to guarantee clean linens are readily and promptly available. The taxing of a worker’s tips by those in positions of authority creates hostile working environments for all crew and is only made possible by those passengers who solemnly believe that tipping is a personal choice and nothing more than a small gesture of appreciation.

You are indeed correct. It's not in the Oxford University Press Dictionary. It's use traces to 1790s England, during the Georgian Era. Perhaps you're spending too much time putting in the extra letter u and sticking an s where a z should go. :D

POA1, That's so funny! We Canadians have to do our little bit to stand out - we are so often classified as Americans, anyway.:D Did you notice "pour" has a "u"? And unfortunately, my spellchecker is American, so half my words are underlined.

Sorry, just slightly off-topic. But I do think American when it comes to tipping. The first time we sailed on the France (long time ago) someone told us to tip our steward half what we expected to give him, as then we would get better service. DH wondered how the steward would know that we would be giving him the "second half" at the end, and maybe think that was all he was going to get, so perhaps he should give him the whole thing right at the beginning, and tell him that was all he was going to get. But then, once the steward had the tip, why would he bother going out of his way for us, knowing he wouldn't get any more. It seems simpler, if you're going to tip, just to do it at the end, with a personal "thank you" for the good service, which you're going to get anyway!

We never pre-tip a dining or cabin steward.

We have been known to provide a tip at the time of service if someone did something out of the ordinary or very special for us.

On all of our cruises, we gave all our over and above tips last day/last night of the cruise. When we did b-to-b's, we tipped at the end of each cruise segment.,

[/b]

One of the most negative and degrading consequences of cash tipping is that is leads to collusion between crew members. Waiters who wish to maximize their income are forced to pay dining room managers for larger tables and forced to pay cooks if they want their orders quickly and prepared perfectly. Cabin Stewards must pay their house keeping supervisors in order to be assigned more expensive cabins and also pay laundry room supervisors in order to guarantee clean linens are readily and promptly available. The taxing of a worker’s tips by those in positions of authority creates hostile working environments for all crew and is only made possible by those passengers who solemnly believe that tipping is a personal choice and nothing more than a small gesture of appreciation.

Each week the servers are assigned their various stations. Due to the turnover of pax the crew for the most part has no clue as to who is going to leave a cash tip. I think your statement is irrelevant in this instance. But you have peaked my curiosity so I am going to bring your statement with me on my upcoming cruise and discuss it with the various personnel and get their take on it.

POA1, That's so funny! We Canadians have to do our little bit to stand out - we are so often classified as Americans, anyway.:D Did you notice "pour" has a "u"? And unfortunately, my spellchecker is American, so half my words are underlined.

I have both US English an UK English loaded as keyboards on my phone. I always get "realised" as my first choice. It's probably because my aftermarket Android keyboard is SwiftKey. They're a British company and probably just want to help me learn proper English.

We never pre-tip a dining or cabin steward.

We have been known to provide a tip at the time of service if someone did something out of the ordinary or very special for us.

On all of our cruises, we gave all our over and above tips last day/last night of the cruise. When we did b-to-b's, we tipped at the end of each cruise segment.,

[/b]

Very true. On our last b2b, we lost one steward on the second segment. Fortunately, he was still on the ship, so we were able to search him out, but we would have been sorry if we had missed him altogether.

I don't know the name of their unions but the Filipino and Indonesian crew have union.

I imagine a google search would provide information if anyone is interested.

I believe the individual unions are facilitated through their agents. It's an interesting business. For a lot of crew, their salary is negotiated through their agents, therefore the amount you make in many cases depends on your nationality. An Indonesian bartender could have a different minimum salary compared to a Filipino bartender working the same bar.