book direct vs agent

travellovers

Do most people just book direct or use an agent. What are the advantages of either. I know the perks from Platinum Amex with cruise lines....not sure about river cruises.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this

Uniworld does not do booking direct - they go through agents, but we still received the AMEX perks. Best to just check your various options to see which gives you the best deal.

Cole

Here on Cruise Critic we are not allowed to list Travel Agents. But there are some travel agencies out there that will discount the price. shop around. And you can google Discount River Cruises and see what comes up. Be sure to compare apples to apples you want the same cruise, date, cabin, transfers, taxes.

Most major cruiselines do not allow any travel agency to discount listed prices. However, travel agencies may pass along savings to cruisers by cutting their own commissions. These additional perks frequently come in the form of onboard credit (OBC), pre-paid gratuities, and gifts. In fact, you should expect some type of "compensation" when you book through an agent. Some larger agencies receive incentives from cruiselines, which they can pass along to consumers or they book large blocks of cabins as group space. These practices are not as common with small river cuise lines. On our recent AMA cruise, in addition to the group discount for which we were eligible, our TA gave $100 pp onboard credit as well as the credit for the free berth earned by the group booking.

Many do not like "giving up control" of their booking to a TA. A good TA is worth their weight in gold, an incompetent TA can cause more headaches than the perks are worth. Shop around carefully.

Whilst the vast majority of subscribers to this board are North Americans the question you ask differs greatly if you live outside that area. Just an example but I've found most Australians still book their holidays through a TA because it's convenient but as they usually don't or can't offer you a "deal" it sometimes works out cheaper to book direct. For our August holiday I booked our cruise direct with Tauck and after researching the most economical airfares online I gave that itinerary to our TA and she booked the flights.

People still feel safe knowing that if they have a problem their TA can usually fix it. I like it that TA's are just around the corner but to each their own.

I booked a river cruise at a big box store travel agency. The cruise fare was the same as advertised on the Viking website. We also $200 OBC and a gift card for 10 percent (ish) of our fares. We can trade the gift card for cash at any store...

Very hard to answer your question correctly as your profile gives no info regarding what part of the world you live in.... The rules change and ability to get TA perks and benefits.

Please log into your profile and let us know whether you need info for Canada, UK, Australia or US... Also for air flights it's helpful to give best advice based on what part or State you are from if from US.

Ok rant over! IF you are from US Google Luxury cruising and some agencies pop up, they are not the only ones reductions in the total cost (not lower cruise price) upwards of 10+ percent of cruise price are available. These "benefits" are not (ever/rarely) available from your local Mom & Pop agency. My local agency who I used for 30+ yrs gave me a bottle of wine and a $50 OBC once....

Let's just say my current TA gives me excellent service AND a credit off my balance due of many times that $50 OBC!

Shop around! And get a good TA who also offers great Benefits :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I understand a travel agent can't advertise on CC....but if I ask a direct ? about a company are you allowed to give me comments on them...good or bad?

I usually use Platinum Amex since they give me perks....just trying to check around.

Thanks

Sorry;, it will be deleted if you post proper names,know its frustrating.We googled luxury river cruises TA and found a few.Then called and asked perks,checked ref,etc.Found a GREAT one,they give cash back(part of their commission I guess) and offer good service.But I always check to make sure,with cruiseling,online TAs,etc.Then I book with my CC that also gives me benefits.Best of both worlds.

So look around,worth the time .They take care of ALL the details,no downside.Now NEVER book with cruiseline that WONT use TAs.Not worth it.PS. this TA only deals with top of the line ones,like Tauck,Scenic,AMA,etc.not lower end lines.Same with ocean cruises.

I do wish the OP would correct her profile in order to make sure she gets the best advice.... If you bring up EVERY poster on this thread there is an indication of country or location.

Very difficult to give correct advice :(

Edited by nana541

I do wish the OP would correct her profile in order to make sure she gets the best advice..

Not everyone feels like sharing personal information on the internet. That's fine. You've pointed out that location will enable better/more accurate advice, but you cannot make someone do something s/he doesn't want to do.....

Not everyone feels like sharing personal information on the internet. That's fine. You've pointed out that location will enable better/more accurate advice, but you cannot make someone do something s/he doesn't want to do.....

Hey just US, UK, Canada, Australia.... How personal is that compared to getting a ton of wrong advise?

This subject is a pet peeve after many concerned posters tried to help someone who turned out to be from Australia and darn near all info did not apply as Consumer Protection laws are completely different in the UK and Australia .... A complete waste of many peoples time!

Edited by nana541

By the way the OP is actually from South Carolina .... She posted that on a roll call a few months ago.... But assisting someone should not require researching past posts to get a clue as to how to be of assistance!

Ok I'll shut up ;)

I will try and figure out how to update profile. Yes I'm from Charleston, SC. One of the best cities in the world

Not very tec savvy so that is why the delay

At top of screen (on left) click on link to User CP. Click Edit Your Details. Scroll down to Optional Information and fill in Location. Then Save Changes.

Me either but this fix is easy.... Need to be on the regular website and not mobile app :)

Sorry for being a pain in the ----! Visited Charleston on a cross country train trip on the American Orient Express (before they went out if business) beautiful city and we had great excursions there, in horse drawn carriages of course!

Edited by nana541

OP,

I think the great advantage of using a TA is that you have someone who can advocate for you if there is a problem.

A TA from a travel agency who sends lots of business to river cruise companies has a powerful weapon to use. If their clients aren't satisfied, the TA will steer them to other cruise lines.

Our TA always gives us great deals, but more importantly, he is our representative if something goes wrong and that is priceless.

Helpful thread; good find. One more thing concerning travel agents. I use if there is a significant savings. Otherwise I don't. Because if you use a travel agent and there is an issue, the cruise line or airline won't deal with you directly, they will only go through your travel agent.:roll eyes: If you have cruise documents they will be sent to the travel agent and then the travel agent needs to forward them to you. If you see a drop in price you need to contact the travel agent who will call on your behalf, instead of contacting the cruise line yourself. If you want to switch dining times (on ocean ships) the travel agent has to do it. You get the picture.