LIVE from the Noordam-- a Disasterdam

cruiser4801

OK folks. Look at my signature. I've cruised on Royal Viking Sea, Vistafjord and QE2. None of them shabby ships or lines. Noordam is up there with them. The past always looks rosier. But 'dam it. I'm more than happy with what those 'dam ships offer. Yes sh*t happens. If it's egregious ask for recompense. Otherwise just enjoy the ride.

Twenty plus years ago, my family (who had a dozen HAL cruises under their belts, including three daughter who loved Club HAL) expressed concern that Carnival Corp had bought the line. We were assured that HAL would remain as it was - a Premium, traditional line.

Well, it took a number of years, but HAL is now just another Carnival product.

We have moved on, with regrets, because we loved the 'old HAL'.

All of us "love" the way things were - even if we no longer want to pay for them.

What "Premium, traditional line" do you sail now - and are they as "premium" as they were twenty years ago?

The simple fact is that things change - and as the rest of the world catches up with the affluent West economically, the affluent West will see less and less of the "old time quality service".

This reminds me of years ago when an acquaintance of mine, who had lived a rather sheltered life, went on her very first cruise. I asked her how she enjoyed touring Puerto Rico. She told me it was very nice, but there were too many Puerto Ricans there. She wasn't a hateful person, she simply hadn't a clue what she was actually saying. Much like the European remark by the OP, I think.

One more thing: Over the years I have learned that the quality of my cruise is in direct proportion to MY state of mind and MY attitude. it is not about how others behave or how others treat me. I have been cruising since the 1970's and have never been on a cruise that I did not enjoy.....A good attitude and knowing the meaning of acceptance go a long way to my enjoyment of cruising.

Edited by Chelly

Can you define "decent service standards" further? I know, I hear all about the slow MDR experiences. But to be truthful, 10 years ago when we started cruising HAL there were many nights I didn't think the service was all that fast. But then again, we weren't in a rush, so it didn't bother us. What service standards were you referring to?

Sure can. On the Statendam:

Pinnacle gril: balsamic reduction was so thick it was like glue, same meal my filet was charred and burnt

Later that night we went to mix to listen to the musician. DW had her Cosmo screwed up twice. Next night I asked for an espresso martini in the MDR. It was substituted for a straight up martini made with dry vermouth without asking me first. I despise martins made in this fashion with my dinner.

Night number 3 we waited 45 minutes just sitting in the ocean bar before someone even acknowledged us because someone boneheadedly scheduled a martini tasting the same time as happy hour. This left a single bartender and barmaid in the ocean bar, which obviously was busy.

And during the previous "drydock" if you could call it that, the posts under the bedding were pushed closer to the center of the beds! THAT was a blast in heavy seas... Roll over and the bed tips. Night number 4 we had our toilet overflow due to the button on the toilet becoming stuck...

Need I go on? And I didn't even mention the glacial pace of the MDR service, or that Statendam was quite literally being held together by duct tape (the lovely atrium sculpture was being taped up)

I really have no more love for Holland America, and ESPECIALLY the wretched Statendam.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by UPNYGuy

Sure can. On the Statendam:

Pinnacle gril: balsamic reduction was so thick it was like glue, same meal my filet was charred and burnt

Later that night we went to mix to listen to the musician. DW had her Cosmo screwed up twice. Next night I asked for an espresso martini in the MDR. It was substituted for a straight up martini made with dry vermouth without asking me first. I despise martins made in this fashion with my dinner.

Night number 3 we waited 45 minutes just sitting in the ocean bar before someone even acknowledged us because someone boneheadedly scheduled a martini tasting the same time as happy hour. This left a single bartender and barmaid in the ocean bar, which obviously was busy.

And during the previous "drydock" if you could call it that, the posts under the bedding were pushed closer to the center of the beds! THAT was a blast in heavy seas... Roll over and the bed tips. Night number 4 we had our toilet overflow due to the button on the toilet becoming stuck...

Need I go on? And I didn't even mention the glacial pace of the MDR service, or that Statendam was quite literally being held together by duct tape (the lovely atrium sculpture was being taped up)

I really have no more love for Holland America, and ESPECIALLY the wretched Statendam. Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh my. When did all this happen? I assume you no longer cruise on a HAL ship?

I had a sport coat and a tuxedo vest get washed, dried, and ruined on separate days. They were marked for dry cleaning, so it was operator error. HAL reimbursed me for the garments, so all is well.

OMG, I'd also be a little upset if they washed a sport coat and tuxedo vest when it was marked for dry cleaning. I'm glad they reimbursed you for their mistake.

I've never had one problem with the laundry and dry cleaning service, but I realize it could happen.

OMG, I'd also be a little upset if they washed a sport coat and tuxedo vest when it was marked for dry cleaning. I'm glad they reimbursed you for their mistake.

I've never had one problem with the laundry and dry cleaning service, but I realize it could happen.

Up until this point, we never had an issue with either service. Occasionally an item would go missing for a day or two, but they were always found. Apparently garments need a vacation, too.

I just returned from the Noordam a couple of weeks ago from a wonderful 11 night med cruise. I wrote a short review about the cruise here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=258797

In short, if you have an upcoming cruise on the the Noordam, I am sure you will have a lovely time :)

Oh my. When did all this happen? I assume you no longer cruise on a HAL ship?

September 2013. And yes, your assumption is correct. We have switched to Norwegian. DW and I find the ships in better condition, the staff in a better mood (and far less stressed), and the service is generally much better.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This reminds me of years ago when an acquaintance of mine, who had lived a rather sheltered life, went on her very first cruise. I asked her how she enjoyed touring Puerto Rico. She told me it was very nice, but there were too many Puerto Ricans there. She wasn't a hateful person, she simply hadn't a clue what she was actually saying. Much like the European remark by the OP, I think.

One more thing: Over the years I have learned that the quality of my cruise is in direct proportion to MY state of mind and MY attitude. it is not about how others behave or how others treat me. I have been cruising since the 1970's and have never been on a cruise that I did not enjoy.....A good attitude and knowing the meaning of acceptance go a long way to my enjoyment of cruising.

Chelly, I totally agree with your last statement.

Your own attitude plays a major part in how you perceive the ship, crew and service you receive on your cruise.

Chelly, I totally agree with your last statement.

Your own attitude plays a major part in how you perceive the ship, crew and service you receive on your cruise.

Of course: ones own attitude is probably the greatest single factor in determining whether a cruise has been enjoyable or a disaster. OP's opening post made this clear --- once he started on a couple of admittedly serious matters, he became absurd, focussing on the fact that items which he left somewhere got lost and moaning about the number of Europeans on a European cruise - clearly his mood was such that everything looked bad.

I also enjoy talking with people from different countries. But we were on a X cruise to Norway with only 200 Americans aboard and a few from Britain. It was a made for a different cruise.

We were lucky and our table mates were from New York and Britain. English speaking. Announments were in 5 languages. It was the worse dressed group I have seen on a ship. (over 30 cruises). Throw some on in the morning and don't take it off until bed time. Clean up for dinner, heavens no. Formal night was interesting. A lot of pushing, no lines. No manners, and not friendly.

Did this riun my cruise, NO. I always wanted to see Norway, so I enjyoed the cruise. It just opened my eyes to what cruising would be like on a european crusise line.

We will be on the Norrdam for 26 in October so I hope to say it was a great or good cruise. When traveling you have to patiences.

I also enjoy talking with people from different countries. But we were on a X cruise to Norway with only 200 Americans aboard and a few from Britain. It was a made for a different cruise.

We were lucky and our table mates were from New York and Britain. English speaking. Announments were in 5 languages. It was the worse dressed group I have seen on a ship. (over 30 cruises). Throw some on in the morning and don't take it off until bed time. Clean up for dinner' date=' heavens no. Formal night was interesting. A lot of pushing, no lines. No manners, and not friendly.

Did this riun my cruise, NO. I always wanted to see Norway, so I enjyoed the cruise. It just opened my eyes to what cruising would be like on a european crusise line.

We will be on the Norrdam for 26 in October so I hope to say it was a great or good cruise. When traveling you have to patiences.[/quote']

Tiffany's Mom: Don't be a stranger on our Roll Call...LOL..:D

Edited by Chelly

Our 22 day cruise on the Noordam in a Neptune Suite has been a disaster from start to finish. The ship is old, beaten, worn down, and dirty. The carpet should have been changed years ago. This is the worst kept ship we have been on to date on any cruise line.

Last year, we had multiple cocktail receptions for Suite and Collector Voyage passengers-- this year only 1 at the beginning of the cruise and not a very good one at that.

This cruise caters to those who paid the least and they are the only ones who will enjoy this ship. The ship is full of Europeans that were offered cut-rate deals to fill the boat. The typical HAL crowd is not one board, perhaps they are on Celebrity. On the two ports we tendered, no wet towels or cold water upon returning-- just a nice hot tender with no air.

Despite our repeated concerns to customer service supervisors, very little gets corrected because there is no attention to customer service on this boat. Not even customer service in Seattle addresses the many problems we encountered over the past 22 days. Broken coffee machines in The Pinnacle Grill for the vast majority of days and broken coffee machine the Neptune Lounge. We did not have breakfast in the PG because of the poor service and attitude of the staff.

We will never sail on the Noordam again. It has been the worst cruise of our lives.

It is strange that another cruiser stated this about Europeans:HAL doesn’t want people from Europe to book their cruises.

Europeans pay about 20 to 25% more compared to people that live in the USA and Canada, for the same cruise.

They are now offering a package deal (Explorer4) of free drinks (worth 100 us dollars per person per day) on a lot of cruises, but only for people with an Us or Canadian residence.

Hal seems to forget that Europeans are the ones they can make money on. They do the drinking on board. People from the US and or Canada only drink the free coffee or water.

So I call upon all European cruises do not book any more cruises with HAL.

In the unlikely event you still want to cruise with them, just refuse to pay the hotel service charge. According to European law this has to be part of the total price you pay for your cruise and cannot be charged afterwards.

OP i am sorry things did not get better before your cruise ended. We are boarding the Noordam three weeks from today and I am hoping things improve by then.

I hope you write a letter to Guest Relations in Seattle expressing your disappointment. However, I would leave out the part about the Europeans. It diminishes your credibility.

Terri

No air on the tender ?? Sorry but you lost me on that one. Did you expect airconditioning on the tenders ?? I've never been on a tender with air conditioning.

If you wanted them to open a front hatch for ventilation then you should have been on a Zaandam tender at Grand Cayman. Everything was fine until they hit a big wave and the people in front got a bath. You can never make everyone happy.

Exactly. Even including the "European bashing". Really now, the ship is registered in the Netherlands. The ship is cruising in the Med. Did these "two for the price of one" posters (maybe it's a husband and wife team :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:) not think there would be many Europeans on board?

We did 21 days on the NA last fall, a Collectors Cruise. The first seven days there were many Europeans...it was lovely to meet people from all over the world. The TA portion was mostly Americans and Canadians. That's the way it rolls.

This year we're doing the TA on the Noordam. But, being a "glass is half full" kind of gal, I hope we'll be fine.

My DH and I sailed on the Noordam across the Atlantic. It was excellent. We loved every minute of it. I do like the Eurodam over the Noordam though. But most of it was exactly the same. I missed the Silk Den and the Tamarind restaurant above.

Anyway, as I've said before, we found the TA to be wonderful onboard this ship which was taken last November, not that long ago.

Our 22 day cruise on the Noordam in a Neptune Suite has been a disaster from start to finish. The ship is old, beaten, worn down, and dirty. The carpet should have been changed years ago. This is the worst kept ship we have been on to date on any cruise line.

Last year, we had multiple cocktail receptions for Suite and Collector Voyage passengers-- this year only 1 at the beginning of the cruise and not a very good one at that.

This cruise caters to those who paid the least and they are the only ones who will enjoy this ship. The ship is full of Europeans that were offered cut-rate deals to fill the boat. The typical HAL crowd is not one board, perhaps they are on Celebrity. On the two ports we tendered, no wet towels or cold water upon returning-- just a nice hot tender with no air.

Despite our repeated concerns to customer service supervisors, very little gets corrected because there is no attention to customer service on this boat. Not even customer service in Seattle addresses the many problems we encountered over the past 22 days. Broken coffee machines in The Pinnacle Grill for the vast majority of days and broken coffee machine the Neptune Lounge. We did not have breakfast in the PG because of the poor service and attitude of the staff.

We will never sail on the Noordam again. It has been the worst cruise of our lives.

Well, Mr. cruiser4809, we hear from you again: repeating the coffee machine lament, but adding what seems to be complaint about lack of air conditioning on the tender ---- how dare they, especially when you presumably had to share it with those Europeans who seem to upset you.

I applaud your decision to avoid Noordam in future - as I hope to sail her for a fourth time.

Well, Mr. cruiser4809, we hear from you again: repeating the coffee machine lament, but adding what seems to be complaint about lack of air conditioning on the tender ---- how dare they, especially when you presumably had to share it with those Europeans who seem to upset you.

I applaud your decision to avoid Noordam in future - as I hope to sail her for a fourth time.

I will be on the Noordy's TA crossing this October and I know I will LOVE her in spite of a little wear and tear, a busted coffee maker or two and all the Europeans who will be sailing across the Atlantic with me. And, if the overworked staff can't respond to my every desire at the snap of my fingers, I will count my blessings.