LIVE from the Noordam-- a Disasterdam

cruiser4801

I have never seen more unhappy passengers in a Neptune Suite than our past 22 day Noordam cruise. We spoke with three other Neptuners with similar experiences, including a very nice lady who had booked 30 plus cruises on HAL who said the July 12 Noordam collectors cruise in a Neptune Suite was the worst she had been on. Although I can't mention the employee's name, we spoke to someone who (while trying to address the problems we experiences) explained he/she had worked on the Noordam six years ago, returned this year, and confided to us that he/she was shocked how much the ship had deteriorated.

Nobody pays as much as we have and go into a cruise with a negative outlook. I had read several posts before our cruise about bad experiences on the Noordam. Like most with an upcoming cruise, I hoped it was one person's bad experience and that ours would be different. That was our hope. You may read my prior posts about excellent experiences in Neptune Suites on the NA, the Westy, and the Noordam years earlier. We never expected to, much less desired, to have a poor experience on Holland America.

The lesson for us is that one bad review may be an anomaly while numerous bad experiences on a particular ship is a trend. There is definitely something wrong with the Noordam. For example, in addition to the many problems we already posted about, on the two tender days, there were no cool towels or cold water on the long return tender to the ship. We saw plenty of cool towels and cold water for Celebrity passengers while we had none. On several occasions, the daily program showed scheduled events, such as a movie, that did not take place or not list that there was a show in the Vista Showroom when there was a show. No one seemed to be in charge of ship operations and service on the Noordam.

The food in the MDR was good but it did not make up for the many other shortcomings.

In the final analysis, HAL is going to lose a lot of business and revenue from their regular Neptune customers. The Neptune Suites will be filled but only via upsells and unsuspecting customers. That is the inevitable result of poor service. After booking Neptune Suites for the past five years in a row, I will never pay full price for a Neptune Suite again. Our conversations with others on the same cruise confirmed we are not alone.

For the naysayers, I urge you to book a Neptune Suite on the Noordam at full fare and see how much you enjoy being ripped off. Then you will have an idea what we experienced.

Please tell us what were the severe failings. I'm sure your displeasure is about more than lack of cool towels on tenders. Was cabin service acceptable? How about your dining stewards? Was there sufficient variety on the menus? Were you able to get remedies to problems by speaking with appropriate supervisors?

Thank you if your care to provide more detail.

He's trying to tell us something, but not getting his point across. The other thread that was combined went off on so many tangents that it would do no good to combine this one again.

I hope the OP, now that he is home can give us some specific instances of the poor service on the Noordam. I will sail on her in a Neptune Suite in less than three weeks and am very interested.

Terri

If there were so many unhappy customers in the Neptune Suites was this brought to the attention of the concierge or front desk and if so, what was their reply. If issues were not resolved I hope you fill out the survey they email to you and also send an email listing the problems to HAL.

Noordam was one of the ships I really wanted to go on (and have booked) because of past reviews of how great it was. I am very concerned that it has declined so much. Can it be because of a new Hotel Director on board and can they have that much impact?

This is really a shame.

We are trying to listen to you. Please tell us why you and others in the Neptune Suites were unhappy.

It has to be more than no cold towels when exiting the tenders as this affects all passengers.

Please give us some specifics. I, for one, am interested.

I hope you take the time to write a well thought out letter to headquarters with specific complaints.

If your chief complaint is that others paid less than you did for the same category of accommodation, than you have no complaint.

Terri

He's trying to tell us something, but not getting his point across. The other thread that was combined went off on so many tangents that it would do no good to combine this one again.

I hope the OP, now that he is home can give us some specific instances of the poor service on the Noordam. I will sail on her in a Neptune Suite in less than three weeks and am very interested.

Terri

I believe it started when he acknowledged he paid full fare for his Neptune Suites, and so many others were offered up sells at lower prices. This may have started the firestorm of unknown complaints the OP is referring to on the "Disasterdam". One can take a hundred cruises, and when there is something you don't like that you experience, the whole cruise can be shaded grey.

We have paid full fare for Neptune and Pinnacle Suites many times, and could care less even if others were given their cabins free of charge.

We were on the Noordam in February once gain, and had a wonderful cruise. Both the Hotel Director that was onboard that cruise and the one that replaced in him in July, are two of the best in the business.

We have booked the Noordam for next May, and I know we will once again have a wonderful cruise.

I am in a Neptune suite on the noordam on it's current voyage. I can honestly say the service we are receiving is fantastic. Cold towels and drinks have been at all ports so far. Coffee machine in lounge is working perfectly. Neptune lounge staff are amazing. We have been truly spoilt. I would be honest in my opinion. We have travelled extensively and usually book concierge lounge rooms in hotels, so we have a lot to compare to. I have not taken wifi on the ship(trying to get away from work and relax) If anyone has questions I will answer when I get a chance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If the Op explained his displeasure to HAL staff in the same vague way he is doing here, I can see why he was left with unresolved issues. Nobody could probably understand what he was talking about :rolleyes:

and that might exactly be what the problem is ;)

OP we're trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you have to come back and give us some specifics.

We are waiting to hear from you again.

Terri

and this is the third time this person has started a thread on this subject and not come back to answer specific questions. Strange.

Terri, lucky you in a Neptune Suite and you can take heart from what cococruiser says. Counting the days now :)

and this is the third time this person has started a thread on this subject and not come back to answer specific questions. Strange.

Terri, lucky you in a Neptune Suite and you can take heart from what cococruiser says. Counting the days now :)

Yes, I am taking heart at cococruiser's remarks. The Neptune Suite and cruise is my birthday present.

Terri

I am in a Neptune suite on the noordam on it's current voyage. I can honestly say the service we are receiving is fantastic. Cold towels and drinks have been at all ports so far. Coffee machine in lounge is working perfectly. Neptune lounge staff are amazing. We have been truly spoilt. I would be honest in my opinion. We have travelled extensively and usually book concierge lounge rooms in hotels, so we have a lot to compare to. I have not taken wifi on the ship(trying to get away from work and relax) If anyone has questions I will answer when I get a chance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for taking time from your cruise to post this. I am sure it makes CC'ers with upcoming Noordam cruises feel better.

There are times when a poster writes the same negative message three times and doesn't continue the conversation or answer questions might have an 'axe to grind'. Who knows exactly what the OP's issues were because he won't tell us. It's hard for me to take it seriously.

Perhaps the "squeaky wheel" is hoping for some kind of a settlement, and if enough people complain, then the poster feels that compensation may be made. I'm sorry that the cruise did not live up to expectations, and that the cool towels were not available. I also understand that paying full price and not receiving service that was expected is hurtful, but most of us who book a Neptune Suite, or even the Pinnacle Suite rarely have paid less than full price. Please give details so that we can understand what the problem was.