Princess to Add 19th Ship to Fleet

kimchee1212

We are happy to see a sister to the Royal and Regal. We spent 19 days on the Royal last Oct/Nov and loved every minute.

We are not buffet people. Have never eaten in the buffet previously but the Royal was a totally different experience. We ate every breakfast and lunch there. We always found comfortable seating and the servers were Johnny on the spot with beverages.

The small balconies were not an issue. Doesn't anyone here ever book an Aloha or Baja balcony on Grand Class ships? What about the Sun, Sea and Dawn?? The littlest balconies ever.

The pools were never a problem except on the Bear cruise! I knew they were coming on the ship so I booked the Sanctuary for the week. Something I never thought I would do. Always seemed silly to spend money for a lounge chair. Needless to say, I have changed my mind about that too. :D

We can't wait to get back on the Royal in March....Alfredo's, the Ocean Terrace Bar, Crooners.

And if you look for them, there are a few bigger balconies.

Cheers, Denise

Royal-class ships will easily fit into the new canal. Heck, RCCL's Behemoth of the Seas-class will fit too... just barely. The bigger question is whether they can sail under the Bridge of the Americas...

Not to thread jack but since the canal is completely based upon rainfall to work I wonder how close this new canal in concert with the old canal will approach their water availabilities.

For us the most important feature of the Princess ships is the Explorer's Lounge.. We absolutely love spending time in there - with those comfortable seats and circular setup of chairs, 4 or 5 or 6, around the tables.... We go in there throughout the day/night, whether it be for drinks and to chat with friends/family, trivia, karaoke, staff game shows/contests, entertainment production shows, etc.. Even the main production talent (comedians, singers, magicians, illusionists, etc) alternate their shows between the main theater and the Explorer's Lounge, and we've found it's MUCH more comfortable, relaxed and pleasurable watching these shows in the Explorer's Lounge.. The seats are all cushiony and you set them up just the way you like, with plenty of elbow room and leg room, and so it makes it much more of an enjoyable experience.. During the day when the venue is not being used for any major event, the room is quiet and serene.. with soft music from the bars... and you can really enjoy a very nice, tranquil experience in there - able to hold conversations without loud noises and distractions.. It is by far one of our favorite spots on the ship and think it's a travesty they decided to take them out on the Royal and Regal.. This is one of their "trademark" venues on all of the Princess ships.... and I really do hope that, once they analyze what they've gotten wrong/right with the Royal and Regal ships (and there are quite a few of each, let's be fair), that they decide to put the Explorer's Lounge back!.

Just my 2-cents.... ok, 3-cents...... about that. :)

- Rick

We sailed Royal last year, and that didn't stop us from booking Regal next month. Beautiful ships, and thoroughly enjoyed the Royal. That said, the Island and Coral are still my favorites. Somehow, they seem to be just the right size. Just wish their buffet was as well laid out as the Royal.

Those are our favorites too. Or anything with a Caribe style balcony.

This will be our first ever cruise. So glad that some of you long standing Princess Cruisers don't like the new ships as I do not think that I would enjoy meeting many of you.

You might be surprised that we can be enjoyable cruising friends. :D

I guess that, fortunately for you, those of us who love the smaller ships are aging out of Princess' desirable cruisers. As we get older and have been lucky enough to travel more, we find we enjoy reading on a balcony, the larger the better and watching the sea. Hope you have a great first cruise and many more.

The small balconies were not an issue. Doesn't anyone here ever book an Aloha or Baja balcony on Grand Class ships? What about the Sun, Sea and Dawn?? The littlest balconies ever.

Cheers, Denise

Actually yes, I have booked an Aloha balcony on Star. I've never been on the Royal or Regal but I have seen many photos of the balconies and I can tell you for a fact they are smaller than the Aloha balcony on Star by a fair amount. On Star I could face my chair toward the sea and use the footstool. In the photos I've seen of the Regal and Royal balconies you can't even sit facing directly out to sea but have to angle the chair.

Actually yes, I have booked an Aloha balcony on Star. I've never been on the Royal or Regal but I have seen many photos of the balconies and I can tell you for a fact they are smaller than the Aloha balcony on Star by a fair amount. On Star I could face my chair toward the sea and use the footstool. In the photos I've seen of the Regal and Royal balconies you can't even sit facing directly out to sea but have to angle the chair.

You most definately can turn your chair and face out directly to sea. How do i know??? Because I and many others have done just that.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse tryping orrers.

We are happy to see a sister to the Royal and Regal. We spent 19 days on the Royal last Oct/Nov and loved every minute.

We are not buffet people. Have never eaten in the buffet previously but the Royal was a totally different experience. We ate every breakfast and lunch there. We always found comfortable seating and the servers were Johnny on the spot with beverages.

The pools were never a problem except on the Bear cruise! I knew they were coming on the ship so I booked the Sanctuary for the week. Something I never thought I would do. Always seemed silly to spend money for a lounge chair. Needless to say, I have changed my mind about that too. :D

We can't wait to get back on the Royal in March....Alfredo's, the Ocean Terrace Bar, Crooners.

Cheers, Denise

Other grand class ship aloha and Baja balconies are 45 sq ft. Royal and regal are 41

Not to thread jack but since the canal is completely based upon rainfall to work I wonder how close this new canal in concert with the old canal will approach their water availabilities.
The new locks are designed to reuse 60% of the water so they are supposed to use 7% less water than the old locks. They are also supposed to be deepening Gatun Lake and potentially raising the level to have additional water capacity.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

. On Star I could face my chair toward the sea and use the footstool. In the photos I've seen of the Regal and Royal balconies you can't even sit facing directly out to sea but have to angle the chair.

Other grand class ship aloha and Baja balconies are 45 sq ft. Royal and regal are 41

Thrak, maybe it is because I am short but I had no problem facing the sea on the balcony.

Cruise Junky, I really didn't notice the difference. As long as I can be outside, I'm a happy camper.

I realize that for many of you the big balcony is important. We booked the Caribe deck once but it was after the balcony furniture was changed. We had two small chairs and a tiny table on this big balcony! What is the point? I just don't get it....but thats just me. Everybody has their likes and dislikes and things that make a cruise important.

Enjoy whatever ship you are on. :D

Cheers, Denise

The new locks are designed to reuse 60% of the water so they are supposed to use 7% less water than the old locks. They are also supposed to be deepening Gatun Lake and potentially raising the level to have additional water capacity.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Wow impressive! I wonder if once they open they will fix the old locks to be more efficient as well.

Thrak, maybe it is because I am short but I had no problem facing the sea on the balcony.

Cruise Junky, I really didn't notice the difference. As long as I can be outside, I'm a happy camper.

I realize that for many of you the big balcony is important. We booked the Caribe deck once but it was after the balcony furniture was changed. We had two small chairs and a tiny table on this big balcony! What is the point? I just don't get it....but thats just me. Everybody has their likes and dislikes and things that make a cruise important.

Cheers, Denise

You bring up a very good point. I don't think I've been in a sailing since they switched out the furniture. Our last cruise on ruby had the big table.

The only thing that really annoyed me about the Royal was the issue with overcrowded elevators. They absolutely need to address that issue.

Also, I'm not sure how much they paid for the "Sea Walk", but they can save their money and eliminate it.

They also hyped the water fountain show that hardly anyone cares about.

To the person who enjoyed the Allure, thinking it's a reason to book a Royal Class ship. Please do not compare going on a Royal class ship with Allure/Oasis. They are nothing alike. The Royal is much more of a traditional ship than the Allure/Oasis, which are the real game changers when in comes to cruise ships.

Looking back at our cruise on the Royal, what I enjoyed was the Enclave, Alfredo's, expanded Atrium, and expanded Vines. We had no need for pools on a Baltic / Scandinavia itinerary, but I'm pretty sure that the shortage of pools and smaller balconies as compared with Grand Class ships would keep me away from the Royal Class.

This will be our first ever cruise. So glad that some of you long standing Princess Cruisers don't like the new ships as I do not think that I would enjoy meeting many of you.

My, how friendly. ;) I do hope your "first ever cruise" doesn't disappoint you. Perhaps only people who love new ships will be on board, keeping those pesky old-ship lovers on shore.

You most definately can turn your chair and face out directly to sea. How do i know??? Because I and many others have done just that.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse tryping orrers.

By pointing out to sea, are you referring to a smaller angel that 90 degrees? If the chair is turned directly outboard, I do not believe you can use the foot stools.

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

By pointing out to sea, are you referring to a smaller angel that 90 degrees? If the chair is turned directly outboard, I do not believe you can use the foot stools.

Bob

Bob I thought that was what the ship railings were for! Or maybe just for me. :)

Edited by waltd

I'm curious why cruise lines are coming out with bigger and bigger ships. Our favorite ships are Celebrity's Solstice Class ships.....and we'd love to try the Royal or Regal when we find the right itinerary. But we prefer that ships don't get much bigger than these. I assume there must be a financial benefit to having these huge ships, although it seems to me (and I know NOTHING about finances) that they would have to heavily discount rooms to fill up all of these berths. Does anyone know the financial pros to having larger ships in a fleet vs smaller?

Michael

I'm curious why cruise lines are coming out with bigger and bigger ships. Our favorite ships are Celebrity's Solstice Class ships.....and we'd love to try the Royal or Regal when we find the right itinerary. But we prefer that ships don't get much bigger than these. I assume there must be a financial benefit to having these huge ships, although it seems to me (and I know NOTHING about finances) that they would have to heavily discount rooms to fill up all of these berths. Does anyone know the financial pros to having larger ships in a fleet vs smaller?

Yes bigger means more money way faster. ;)

At some point there will be saturation.

When the Oasis and Allure came out they butchered their own bookings for all the other ships in the fleet. :eek:

A 3rd giant horror, I d'ont know if it is good for passengers but I think that 3650 pax is too much for me

http://maritimematters.com/2014/07/princess-and-fincantieri-reteam-for-third-royal-class-ship/:mad:

I'm with you, but nobody is forcing me to use the bigger ships or even to cruise with Princess. They make their choices and I make mine based on theirs.

I DO like the new chocolate announcment.

A 3rd giant horror, I d'ont know if it is good for passengers but I think that 3650 pax is too much for me
Then don't cruise on it. Very simple.

I happened to love the Royal, felt that it was less crowded than all of the other Grand-class ships I've been on, and am looking forward to my next Royal cruise in just over a month.

It's nice that we have choices.

Then don't cruise on it. Very simple.

It's nice that we have choices.

You should add the words "for now" at the end of your sentence about having choices. It will be interesting to see how the ship assignments shake out in the future.

I for one am NOT excited that the only ship running the longer caribbean itineraries for 2016 is the Royal. We sail as a group of at least 4 and love to congregate on one of our balconies to enjoy some beverages and the scenery. We could just barely put four chairs, two on each side facing each other on a standard Aloha/Baja balcony on the grand class ships. I do not see this happening on the Royal balconies.

For folks that travel solo or just a single couple the Royal/Regal sounds fabulous, but for us that value a decent balcony the current trend is troubling.

I guess only time will tell.

Edited by Dudleydog73

Cheers, Denise

Cheers, Denise

Two excellent posts. We had a wonderful cruise on the Royal and are looking forward to our cruise on the Regal.