Freedom of the Seas drydock

Just looked at Port schedules for St. Thomas and St. Maarten for our cruise With its reduced speed, FR would be better to do the itinerary backwards. We did this in Jan. 2014. There are only 3 ships in port in St. Maarten on the Wednesday (2-25) -- Ventura, Canival Sunshine and Oasis (granted as big as 2 ships) and only one ship -- Nieuw Amsterdam in St. Thomas. We could have a regular port call in St. Maarten -- arriving around 8 AM and then do the short run to St. Thomas arriving at 7 AM as we did last year. They could stop at Coco Cay on the way back adjusting port time to make sure they got into Port C in a timely manner. We loved the backwards itinerary last January especially in St. Thomas as a 7 AM arrival is better than a noon arrival.

Might not work as Majesty of the Seas is at Coco Cay but because of circumstances, they could skip Coco Cay.

I looked today and didn't see the Cupcake making class offered as a scheduled online activity. My wife enjoyed it on Allure, but I was going to schedule it again for her on Freedom, but didn't see it.

Bill it is scheduled on the 3/8 cruise and we can sign up for it.

Cheryl

Two things that did not happen per my input. The Cupcake Cupboard did not close and the CL was kept on deck 10. The DL stayed as it was.

Scotty, where is the diamond lounge?

So many of the things that were said to be happening in drydock didn't happen, that really surprised me. These two items included. They seemed to do a lot more changes on Navigator during its drydock last year. :confused:

That could be -- the rest of the ships sailing along with her are in the same range of speed. The most important test is from Cozumel to Port C. As I have posted many times, I only care about FR getting into Port C in a timely manner to avoid embarkation problems. I don't care if we skip ports or have shortened port times.

That will be the test for the itinerary, but the ship will still be benefiting from the Gulf Stream, maybe 2-3 knots (I've seen 5+ in the Yucatan Straits).

Don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but more likely a benefit of the Gulf Stream.

Yes, we've been showing 20 kts on the TV for the last few hours, but it is probably GPS-based since the display is also showing Lat -Lon. RCI has changed the C&A Returning cruisers event on the Freedom and 2 other ships. They had a Gold, Platinum, Emerald reception last night and a Top Tier (Diamond, Diamond +, and Pinnacle) tonight. I don't like the new format, because it was much shorter and no time for Q&A. I did get to briefly talk to Capt Ron Holmes at the Top Tier Reception tonight as I was walking in. No schedule change for arrival or departure in Cozumel or Port Canaveral, but he wasn't the most convincing on guaranteeing the Port Canaveral arrival. I point blank asked if we'll be arriving in Port Canaveral on time, and he said he sure hopes so?? We're currently cruising in loose formation towards Cozumel with Navigator OTS and I think Epic Monstrosity (what an ugly ship day or night).

Scotty, where is the diamond lounge?

So many of the things that were said to be happening in drydock didn't happen, that really surprised me. These two items included. They seemed to do a lot more changes on Navigator during its drydock last year. :confused:

The Diamond Lounge is still on Deck 14 on the starboard side behind the Olive or Twist Lounge. Its a great location with an awesome view. I'm glad they didn't screw it up. The Diamond overflow is in the Card Room on the other side of Deck 14.

That will be the test for the itinerary, but the ship will still be benefiting from the Gulf Stream, maybe 2-3 knots (I've seen 5+ in the Yucatan Straits).

Yes, one cruise on Freedom, we got up to 23.6 knots off the coast of Florida, above her max sailing speed.

That could be -- the rest of the ships sailing along with her are in the same range of speed. The most important test is from Cozumel to Port C. As I have posted many times, I only care about FR getting into Port C in a timely manner to avoid embarkation problems. I don't care if we skip ports or have shortened port times.

Unlike Terminal 10 which uses the same area for those arriving and departing which makes for long lines outside waiting for the prior passengers to clear, the new Terminal 1 has doors for arriving and another distinct set for those departing. They have an extremely large seating area in case the ship is not ready. The problem is still with the vehicle traffic.

Bob E

Yes, we've been showing 20 kts on the TV for the last few hours, but it is probably GPS-based since the display is also showing Lat -Lon. RCI has changed the C&A Returning cruisers event on the Freedom and 2 other ships. They had a Gold, Platinum, Emerald reception last night and a Top Tier (Diamond, Diamond +, and Pinnacle) tonight. I don't like the new format, because it was much shorter and no time for Q&A. I did get to briefly talk to Capt Ron Holmes at the Top Tier Reception tonight as I was walking in. No schedule change for arrival or departure in Cozumel or Port Canaveral, but he wasn't the most convincing on guaranteeing the Port Canaveral arrival. I point blank asked if we'll be arriving in Port Canaveral on time, and he said he sure hopes so?? We're currently cruising in loose formation towards Cozumel with Navigator OTS and I think Epic Monstrosity (what an ugly ship day or night).
Thanks Barklee. That's upsetting about the best that Captain Holmes could say about arriving at Port C on time was that he hopes so. You'd think he would push for a shortened port call in Cozumel.

Can anyone comment on the where the night club is since the crypt is gone? Is the space smaller? Better? I will be going on this ship in a few months and would hate for there to not be a late night place to have fun.

thanks!

It's in part of the Viking Crown Lounge now. Where Olive and Twist was I believe?

Unlike Terminal 10 which uses the same area for those arriving and departing which makes for long lines outside waiting for the prior passengers to clear, the new Terminal 1 has doors for arriving and another distinct set for those departing. They have an extremely large seating area in case the ship is not ready. The problem is still with the vehicle traffic.

Bob E

Terminal 1 having separate doors and an extremely large seating area sounds good. It sounds like they let embarking passengers into the terminal while passengers from the previous cruise are disembrakin. Do they have the security screening there -- that has been a hold up in the past?

Was the vehicle traffic that they had trouble with the busses, shuttles and limos? Did private cars have problems?

Thanks

Who cares how the ship reaches whatever speed it needs to reach. They can mount sails on the ship for all I care. Just as long as it reaches whatever speed it needs to reach.

Who cares how the ship reaches whatever speed it needs to reach. They can mount sails on the ship for all I care. Just as long as it reaches whatever speed it needs to reach.

Someone needs a Xanax. I value hearing his insight. Notice I said insight, and not opinion. HE is the ONLY one on this thread, last time I checked, that does this for a living.

We, the people on this thread, need to remember we are talking about a vacation.

Vacation - noun -

a period of suspension of work, study, or other activity, usually used for rest, recreation, or travel; recess or holiday:

"Schoolchildren are on vacation now."

Let's try to remember this is time we are all so looking forward to, plan and spend hard-earned money on. Please show respect to others here. Just because some are wound up tighter than a tick, doesn't mean you need to be a catalyst for panic on this thread; or board. Keep it to yourself.

Any comments that someone wants to make about my lack of posts should look at how long I have been on this site. I am just saddened by watching this thread go from excitement to absolute distress, dismay, and utter panic. Let's go back to being excited about our upcoming vacations, and start listening to those who know the difference between a bow-thruster and an azipod.

Hello! My name is Kevin.

The Diamond Lounge is still on Deck 14 on the starboard side behind the Olive or Twist Lounge. Its a great location with an awesome view. I'm glad they didn't screw it up. The Diamond overflow is in the Card Room on the other side of Deck 14.

Thanks so much for that information Barklee, I appreciate it and I apologize for spelling your name incorrectly before.

Cheryl

Someone needs a Xanax. I value hearing his insight. Notice I said insight, and not opinion. HE is the ONLY one on this thread, last time I checked, that does this for a living.

We, the people on this thread, need to remember we are talking about a vacation.

Vacation - noun -

a period of suspension of work, study, or other activity, usually used for rest, recreation, or travel; recess or holiday:

"Schoolchildren are on vacation now."

Let's try to remember this is time we are all so looking forward to, plan and spend hard-earned money on. Please show respect to others here. Just because some are wound up tighter than a tick, doesn't mean you need to be a catalyst for panic on this thread; or board. Keep it to yourself.

Any comments that someone wants to make about my lack of posts should look at how long I have been on this site. I am just saddened by watching this thread go from excitement to absolute distress, dismay, and utter panic. Let's go back to being excited about our upcoming vacations, and start listening to those who know the difference between a bow-thruster and an azipod.

Hello! My name is Kevin.

Very well said :) I agree with you (what's coming next is not meant for you!)......but by the same token, we have folks on this thread who deal with crisis (or perceived crisis) very differently. I'll admit that when it was first reported that Freedom may have propulsion problems again, I had a pang of fear :eek: For me, it was just a pang - for others, it is much more. I have resolved the possibilities in my head, and that is where my "go with the flow" attitude comes from. Not everyone is capable of that. What would make these boards really great, is if we all showed some patience and understanding and remembered why they were set up in the first place - to share information, not make people feel bad they even asked the question....

Very well said :) I agree with you (what's coming next is not meant for you!)......but by the same token, we have folks on this thread who deal with crisis (or perceived crisis) very differently. I'll admit that when it was first reported that Freedom may have propulsion problems again, I had a pang of fear :eek: For me, it was just a pang - for others, it is much more. I have resolved the possibilities in my head, and that is where my "go with the flow" attitude comes from. Not everyone is capable of that. What would make these boards really great, is if we all showed some patience and understanding and remembered why they were set up in the first place - to share information, not make people feel bad they even asked the question....

Like x 1000

The only reason I brought up the Gulf Stream is that while the ship may make her schedule this time, that would not be a guarantee that it can make the schedule every trip, while the fixipod is out. While the Gulf Stream is pretty much a given, it does vary in exactly where it flows, and how fast, depending on season, weather, etc. Ships will vary their tracks depending on whether the Stream assists or impedes the desired sailing. Just a couple of miles one way or the other can make quite a difference.

The only reason I brought up the Gulf Stream is that while the ship may make her schedule this time, that would not be a guarantee that it can make the schedule every trip, while the fixipod is out. While the Gulf Stream is pretty much a given, it does vary in exactly where it flows, and how fast, depending on season, weather, etc. Ships will vary their tracks depending on whether the Stream assists or impedes the desired sailing. Just a couple of miles one way or the other can make quite a difference.

And just as much as this can help a ship strong currents can hinder the ships progress as well.

On our Freedom Christmas cruise (Eastern) we were given the revised port times that were greatly altered from the scheduled. Once we set sail these were further altered and reduced due to strong currents and winds. There was one stretch that instead of the ship being able to make the 18knots that she had been she was just making 16knots.

Just as the currents can help they can hinder as well and unfortunately this can not be planned ahead of time. This was one of the reasons that was given to me when I asked why the adjusted itineraries were not released to the guests on future sailings ahead of time.

CKRobyn, isn't to you, but I hope better explaining my place.

I wasn't tired of people asking questions, I was tired of rude remarks when questions are asked of someone who does know. Go back on this thread and look at where Barklee gave the info about the propulsion system. He was given a bunch of derogatory remarks and speculation on if his comment was factual when he said there was an issue and the Chief Engineer spoke to him directly. Then when Cheng gave his Maritime input, as he does this for a living, he was replied multiple times negatively, and with that response about the Gulf Stream info made me say enough.

I am with you that this board is a wealth of information, and we would all like a head's up as to the propulsion issue. It appears that multiple things have happened from last fall until now regarding the FOS. Work to be done appears not to have been done. Restaurants that were supposed to be added weren't added. Items that were supposed to be resolved weren't resolved. It's disappointing because I was looking forward to going on a "minty fresh' FOS.

I love these boards. That's why I have been here since 2000. I just don't like when people disrespect an answer given from someone who really a knows the answer and not someone "who heard."

Ask questions and receive answers. It's a learning place and a place to share insight. When I first saw this website I loved it. I have watched it change and morph. I completely understand that with 2-6k people on a ship, someone is bound to have a bad experience. It's the law of averages. I want to here those stories. Negative feedback is extremely valuable. You can't fix a problem if you don't know there is one. We all need to share. I was hoping to see a little more respect to one another than I have in the last week.

I know this won't get "liked x1000" but there are people on this board that agree with statement above.

Hello! My name is Kevin.

Edited by Cavy92

CKRobyn, isn't to you, but I hope better explaining my place.

I wasn't tired of people asking questions, I was tired of rude remarks when questions are asked of someone who does know. Go back on this thread and look at where Barklee gave the info about the propulsion system. He was given a bunch of derogatory remarks and speculation on if his comment was factual when he said there was an issue and the Chief Engineer spoke to him directly. Then when Cheng gave his Maritime input, as he does this for a living, he was replied multiple times negatively, and with that response about the Gulf Stream info made me say enough.

I am with you that this board is a wealth of information, and we would all like a head's up as to the propulsion issue. It appears that multiple things have happened from last fall until now regarding the FOS. Work to be done appears not to have been done. Restaurants that were supposed to be added weren't added. Items that were supposed to be resolved weren't resolved. It's disappointing because I was looking forward to going on a "minty fresh' FOS.

I love these boards. That's why I have been here since 2000. I just don't like when people disrespect an answer given from someone who really a knows the answer and not someone "who heard."

Ask questions and receive answers. It's a learning place and a place to share insight. When I first saw this website I loved it. I have watched it change and morph. I completely understand that with 2-6k people on a ship, someone is bound to have a bad experience. It's the law of averages. I want to here those stories. Negative feedback is extremely valuable. You can't fix a problem if you don't know there is one. We all need to share. I was hoping to see a little more respect to one another than I have in the last week.

I know this won't get "liked x1000" but there are people on this board that agree with statement above.

Hello! My name is Kevin.

Like [emoji106]

(X 1000)

Cavy92,

With 80% of the posts on these messageboards consisting of sharing emotions and idle chit chat (e.g., "I'll be on this ship in April. So excited!"), you have to expect some lack of objectivity here. 78 pages on this thread so far. Just imagine how much shorter it would be if everybody stuck to the facts, which is what most people actually come here combing through the posts looking for. :)