Upgraded Internet Speeds?

Sometime in the last few months I swear I read an article about how Royal was starting to enhance internet speeds on their ships. Was I dreaming? If I wasn't, does anyone know current deployment?

Majesty has a new "unlimited internet" package. Not sure it's worth it at slow crawl speeds.

Thanks!

I believe there was supposed to be a new provider (O3B) that was putting satellites up for that purpose. Last I heard they had a good launch, and they are still checking out the system, so it's not operational yet. I don't remember an ETA.

Edited by clarea

I believe there was supposed to be a new provider (O3B) that was putting satellites up for that purpose. Last I heard they had a good launch, and they are still checking out the system, so it's not operational yet. I don't remember an ETA.
I was told that they did a test on Oasis a while back.

More info, but nothing with regard to Royal:

http://www.o3bnetworks.com/3222

Also saw this on Royal's blog site:

UPDATE: According to Royal Caribbean, the new high speed internet connections will be available beginning August 2014.

I'll be on in early September...so I hope this is correct...but not counting on it.

Thanks everyone. Great info. From that last article, it would seem that MJ has that new software they are talking about to connect, but there's no counting on whether or not the higher speeds will be rolled out by the time of cruise based on the blog info.

Thanks again.

It sounds like they are going to be only selling packages in the future.

So for those of us that only need to quickly check emails a couple of times during the cruise will need to get a full package to do so.

It sounds like they are going to be only selling packages in the future.

So for those of us that only need to quickly check emails a couple of times during the cruise will need to get a full package to do so.

I believe the least expensive package now is $30 for 60 minutes to be used anytime during the cruise. Any C&A discount coupons would reduce that.

Edited by clarea

I believe the least expensive package now is $30 for 60 minutes to be used anytime during the cruise. Any C&A discount coupons would reduce that.

I hope they don't do away with the pay per minute or small package. I own my own business and like to go to check emails every day or two when away. I usually can get away with about 10 - 20 minutes a cruise so most is covered by the $5.00 C&A credit anyway. I have told others to text me if they need to and call if an emergency.

I can only hope they upgrade.

Merion Mom is currently on the FOS. I asked her to do a speedtest.net.

At 1:55AM she reported a download speed of 0.15mbps :eek:

That's just slightly faster than to old 128K Modem for those of use that remember them.

The O3B network is a brand new set of satellites which require new antennas to work.

The first article implies that the rest of the fleet will see faster speeds through better bandwidth utilization using the existing Inmarsat service.

I'll find out in 4 weeks if the "cloud" works like they say it does. :-)

Aloha,

John

I can only hope they upgrade.

Merion Mom is currently on the FOS. I asked her to do a speedtest.net.

At 1:55AM she reported a download speed of 0.15mbps :eek:

OMG, it's WORSE tonight!

ping = 696

download speed = .10 mbps

upload speed = .15 mbps

:eek:

OMG, it's WORSE tonight!

ping = 696

download speed = .10 mbps

upload speed = .15 mbps

:eek:

That bites. It's not worth the price they charge for 7 days. It was that slow on Indy. I'm glad I had international data plan on my phone it was the same speed, and I only paid $8 a day for 100mb per day. Never reached total data, but basic apps worked along with viber worked excellent.

Was on Oasis a few weeks ago. It was fine for most basic web browsing, though we mostly used it on our smartphones. I can't remember for sure, but it might have gotten up to 1Mbps. Definitely don't try to stream audio/video or run a remote desktop connection.

We'll be on Brilliance this week.....I'm anticipating super slow speeds. It was pretty bad on navigator in March. Allure wasn't too bad last summer, but we could never FaceTime. We could stream on Netflix though, which was decent.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app