be careful with your purse, backpack, etc

Tbay

Got off the Noordam this morning and took the train to Rome. At the station in Rome, someone spilled beer foam down my arm, and back. I didn't see it or feel it happen. While distracted, trying to clean up, someone stole my husband's backpack. Realized after, hindsight is great, that we were set up. The helpful person who gave us tissue, was the one who spilled the beer and stole the pack. So please be careful and don't let go of your purse, backpack, etc. Now to get a new passport....

Good reminder...cities like Rome and Barcelona are well known for the tricks and distractions of pickpockets. Train and metro stations are a prime hit spot.

In Barcelona, an example... a lady got something thrown out of a second story window resembling bird poop as she and her frined walked by.A fake store owner walked out with tissue to help clean it off her back. Wham Bam...both ladies' bags were gone in seconds. Nothing is off limits as far as distractions. Little kids are used frequently too. Warnings of pickposkets make people hold onto things. But with the elaborate set ups they use now, one can easlily get fooled.

The loss of your passport.....YIKES. Makes things even worse.

Edited by eandj

Very sorry this happened to you, and thanks for the warning.

We had an attempted pickpocket at the train station near Versailles. We were being careful, and there were posters all over the station warning people about pickpockets! You really have to be careful in Europe, particularly in the stations.

I am so sorry this happened to you.

When we were in Buenos Aires in 2013, a young man threw diluted ink on a couple and myself as we walked near the cemetery. Another young man and his female companion rushed to us with a bottle of water and tissues to help clean us up. I got that "feeling" and told my friends to "Walk Quickly" and get away. We had some ruined clothing, but kept everything else.

The previous day, while on a shore excursion, a "homeless" man made a ruckus as our group walked by to create a distraction. One of the men in the group had his pocket picked.

I think you have to be careful ANYWHERE!

An old trick in NYC was for someone to run past you and squirt ketchup from those little take-out packets. Then the person next to you offers to help clean off your shirt/coat - while they pick your pocket.

In Italy a friend's Mother had her money and passport stolen when she opened her purse to give money to a young woman (holding a baby wrapped in a blanket) crying "I have no food for my baby." The entire purse was gone in a nanosecond. There was no baby.

So sorry this happened to you but it is very kind of your to post here and remind us all to be careful of our property when out and about.

Hope you get the passport replaced easily.

Safe trip home.

We usually wear money belts worn under our clothing in Europe. We just keep minimal cash in our wallet and purse and all valuables (passports, credit cards, extra cash) in the money belt.

In Paris near Notre Dame Cathedral we were surrounded by gypsies all asking for money. We had to yell at them and aggressively wave them away for them to leave us alone.

So sorry you had this happen to you. Hopefully you have great memories of your cruise that won't be overshadowed by this incident. Thank you for posting this as a reminder what can happen.

Edited by sunviking90

In October 2012, having just left the Vatican, getting on the Metro at San Pietro station the door was blocked by a well dressed man intently studying the route map just above the door - delaying me long enough to enable a deft-fingered accomplice to lift the flap of my jacket, unbutton my hip picket and get my wallet - with a number of credit cards, ATM cards, drivers license, etc. I spent the afternoon at American Express near the Spanish Steps getting replacement cards and calling MasterCard and my bank. In the half hour it took me to get to AMEX more than $27,000 in attempted charges had been run up - at everything from jewelers, plumbing supply stores, clothing stores, etc. Fortunately they were all reversed - and my greatest fear: identity theft - did not happen - but was certainly possible as my Social Security number was on my Medicare card, which, along with my drivers license with home address, would have made it very possible.

The only good aspect was that I had just spent about 200 euro cash buying Longchamps bags as gifts for my daughters at a shop just outside the Vatican, so only minimal cash was lost.

I am now extremely careful to carry only essentials with me - and to make very sure my wallet is secure.

Buenos Aires outside the Opera House, a couple from our group was squirted with mustard. Others used the same MO to try and help but were part of the scam. Because we had been warned about these kind of incidents by a tour guide, the results were just dirty, yellow clothes! Be careful out there!

I bought a passport holder that's about 5" x 7" (bought it at the airport) a has a cord to wear around one's neck. Very lightweight. It fits credit cards, some euros and my passport. I tuck it under my shirt and hide the cord inside the shirt too. So far, so good.

We did a Collectors Cruise on the NA last fall. Out of Barcelona. On the ship, we heard that a man was traveling on the turn around day on the bus in BCN and had everything stolen. Credit cards, cash, passport, driver's license, all ID's...he had EVERYTHING with him.

I'm so sorry for your experience, but thank you for taking the time to remind us of what we should know!

In Barcelona in 2011 DH & I were victims of the "bird poop" scheme, and our daybags were stolen quicker than I can tell you. The only thing that made me feel less stupid was that at the police station, making reports, were other victims including a New York City Police Detective who'd had his pocket picked.

Just goes to show you....

A friend of mine was also the victim of a pick pocket in Barcelona about a month ago. Her and her husband had just finished their cruise and were heading back to Canada the next day. Their passports were also lost. Just a heads up - getting new Canadian passports was not an easy process.

Also, please remember that those darling children can be part of a set-up in several cities around the world. When they clamor around you, be extra vigilant and keep everything safe. Such a sad commentary on life but also reality. We never take more off the ship than we absolutely have to in terms of IDs, etc. We usually use our passport cards as ID's as we need the passports to get home and the driver's license to rent the car to get home. When we must carry our passports, we use the previously mentioned passport wallet that hides under your clothes. Make sure you tuck the strap behind your neck under your collar as have heard of people grabbing the back strap, cutting it and making off with your hidden wallet. It was also recommended on a WC that if you take a backpack, to wear it backwards with the straps in the back and the 'body' of the pack on your chest. Not as comfortable but definitely safer. I only use a cross body purse with the bag part in the front - never just over my shoulder -and my husband buries his ID deep in his front pocket and keeps his hand on it when we are in crowds. We bring minimal cash and we have a separate credit card with a very low limit (and an embedded chip) to use when we do bring a credit card. Thankfully we have never had a problem while cruising the world.

I apologize in advance if I sound like heartless SOB.

But as a 9-1-1 dispatcher for over 30 years , I have heard every trick in the book . And the book gets more and more pages every day :(

You squirt ketchup on me , Don't help me , I will clean it off when I get someplace safe. I am not opening a wallet to give anyone money for anything out on the street.

if I see you broken down on the side of the road, i will call a cop on my cell phone and tell them where you are and go help you, but I sure as hell am not gonna stop.

In my area these phone scams are a big thing now. HANG UP, do not give any info or account numbers .

I know most people try and do good and want to help the motorist , or buy milk for the baby etc , but you just never know.

I bought a passport holder that's about 5" x 7" (bought it at the airport) a has a cord to wear around one's neck. Very lightweight. It fits credit cards, some euros and my passport. I tuck it under my shirt and hide the cord inside the shirt too. So far, so good.

We did a Collectors Cruise on the NA last fall. Out of Barcelona. On the ship, we heard that a man was traveling on the turn around day on the bus in BCN and had everything stolen. Credit cards, cash, passport, driver's license, all ID's...he had EVERYTHING with him.

We do the same thing. DH also has his camera on a wire-wrapped cord that cannot be cut and grabbed. We never take a purse, wallet or backpack when going ashore. We don't do the "beach thing" (too old:p) so no worries there. I have a belt that holds my water bottle, and our passport holder contains our ID, one credit card each, ship's card, and a small amount of cash for tips, etc. Got our passport holders online and we love them. Ours have a special lining that prevents those carrying the latest in technology to scan credit cards, passports, etc from doing so.

It's always a good reminder to watch for "staged" incidents. There are even signs up in the train stations in Paris, London, etc to watch for pickpockets. So sorry that this happened to you, and here's wishing for safe travels for everyone.

Smooth Sailing!:)

Edited by luvs2travl

So sorry this happened to you. I always carry a cloth page, with only

a water bottle in it. On the Bacelona subway several years back a

man use a blade to cut into the bag, pulled out the water, and the

subway car laughed, saying agua, agua. I knew that someone

has been into the bag. I came home stiched the bag up with big

ugly stiches and carry it everywhere in the world. It serves as a reminder

too be careful, and now it is a bag of honour. Again, so sorry. We always

carry money belts, or necksafes. Only small change in pockets. This can happen anywhere in the world, Canada, and U.S. cities also.

When we cruise, our passports and most of our credit cards stay in the ships safe. Pre- and post cruise, they go in a pouch that hangs inside my pants. We've been fortunate but maybe that's because we have been alerted to scams like this one and are more on the lookout for potential thieves.

When we cruise, our passports and most of our credit cards stay in the ships safe. Pre- and post cruise, they go in a pouch that hangs inside my pants. We've been fortunate but maybe that's because we have been alerted to scams like this one and are more on the lookout for potential thieves.

Likewise, my passport stays in the ship's safe the whole trip, as well as all but one credit card. I carry a color copy of the two inside pages of my passport and have never had a problem with local police or getting back on the ship. I also carry a cross-body purse just big enough for maps and CC and passport copy in zip pocket.

I also have in my big suitcase a copy of my passport, my old passport and passport photos. We used to travel with students, and sure enough one left his PP at the Salzburg train station. Replaced PP very quickly with those documents.

When we were shopping at souvenir places, my husband would circle the group like a border collie herding sheep, all the while chasing off the gypsies. One time several of the girls were coming out of Gucci's when they were assaulted by a bunch of the children. They knew what was happening and one, a beautiful all-star volleyball player, grabbed the wrist of a child whose hand was on a postcard in her purse.

We trained them well. :D

Edited by LVSue