Equinox vs Reflection

shartzog71

I just found out my Silhouette Cruise has been cancelled and I'm trying to decide if we want to move to the Equinox or the Reflection. I'm concerned about the age of the Equinox ship and that it will be run down. Any opinions/advice?

I was on the Equinox in April, a couple of cruises before her dry dock and she looked very, very good, brand new even. After the refurb in April, I can't imagine she doesn't look even better.

There are only a few differences really:

EQ: Silk Harvest instead of Quisine, Gastro Bar instead of Cellar masters, Slush bar, no lawn club grill, no Porch, has glass blowing

RF: More passengers, very slightly larger, slightly adjusted layout, Quisine, Cellermasters, no Gastro Bar, No Glass Blowing, adds lawn club grill and the porch, slightly newer

IMHO the biggest difference will be the itinerary which is what you should use to make your decision. Usually EQ has longer itineraries which would be more attractive to me.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I just found out my Silhouette Cruise has been cancelled and I'm trying to decide if we want to move to the Equinox or the Reflection. I'm concerned about the age of the Equinox ship and that it will be run down. Any opinions/advice?

What? That ship is new by cruise ship standards. Maybe two years older than Silhouette, cannot imagine why you would think it is 'run down'!!

I vote for the Relection. Having sailed on both, the Reflection is most like the Silhoutte. It is also newer then the Equinox. In addition, instead of the glass blowing show, which I have seen many times, They have a great restaurant called the Lawn Grill and a nice additional restaurant that is informal for lunch or other meals called the Porch.

Enjoy your cruise!

I was on the Equinox in April, a couple of cruises before her dry dock and she looked very, very good, brand new even. After the refurb in April, I can't imagine she doesn't look even better.

There are only a few differences really:

EQ: Silk Harvest instead of Quisine, Gastro Bar instead of Cellar masters, Slush bar, no lawn club grill, no Porch, has glass blowing

RF: More passengers, very slightly larger, slightly adjusted layout, Quisine, Cellermasters, no Gastro Bar, No Glass Blowing, adds lawn club grill and the porch, slightly newer

IMHO the biggest difference will be the itinerary which is what you should use to make your decision. Usually EQ has longer itineraries which would be more attractive to me.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I also think Equinox has Quasar, the disco, whereas on Reflection it was replaced for some reason with a conference room.

We've been on both, and are going back on Reflection in February.

I would recommend you make your choice based on where they are going and the length you are able to get away. Equinox is in very fine shape. GastroBar has an interesting menu, and we like the Silk Harvest menu. We like the longer sailings in the Caribbean, but we are sailing with friends this February who could only get away for one week.

The Lawn Club Grill is a great place for a steak, but the Hot Glass Show is also interesting.

Enjoy!

Never been on Celebrity ship that I would characterize as run down. Was on Equinox this past January and it was in excellent condition. Since then it went to drydock for some changes. I anticipate it will be every bit as nice when we take it again this coming January. Equinox vs Reflection for us would come down to which itinerary and dates, certainly not concerns about age or condition.

This is one of the things that X does well, they allow differences even on sister ships. I sailed Equinox twice, Reflection once, and Eclipse once. I like them all, but found better service on Equinox. Silhouette is closest to the Reflection. Some things are better on each. I haven't experienced the Gastropub yet. These are just personal observations; I for one really liked the Sunset bar on Reflection better. I prefer Qsine better than Silk Harvest. I liked the Glass show. And I really hated the "ding dong room". You had to have sailed Reflection to understand that last comment.

You'll have a great time on any S class ship.

We were on Equinox in January and it was fabulous. Our favorite ship. We're going to be on her again for the TA this fall. Can't wait. Wouldn't hesitate to sail her again and see the new venues and quick dry dock changes.

Silk Harvest is great, as is Tuscan Grill and Murano. I do wish they had the Porch and Lawn Club Grill but the hot glass show is interesting to watch and I'm sure I'll be up there on the lawn watching it a few times on our November crossing.

I also think Equinox has Quasar, the disco, whereas on Reflection it was replaced for some reason with a conference room.

Good call, missed that one!

You can see from all the opinions, you can't go wrong either way, they really are more similar than different.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Was on the Equinox in March and it didn't seem like an old ship at all. No rust, no mildew in the bathroom. I would travel on her again for sure.

Like everyone else, I'm more concerned with inteniaries and feature no on the other ship. Having seen the glass show, not to be missed BTW, I'd like to try the Lawn Grill. Also I have plenty of good Asian restaurants in my area, and having been on Eclipse I prefer Qsine over Silk Harvest. What's important to you? That's what matters.

But ships age between these two should not be a worry.

I think this is likely to end up as a Coke vs Pepsi type of discussion. But I have read on CC that X considers EQ a higher rated ship and has better staff in it. Who knows. I've been reading a lot for a year or so as we plan our first cruise on an S class and I do not read a lot that convinces me that there is likely to be a significant difference between any of the S class ships.

- Joel

Equinox tends to take longer cruises in the Caribbean, which gives the staff a better chance to get to know the passengers, and really cater to their likes. I think that may be why she gets such top ratings. A lot of the crew return to her again and again. When we were on Equinox in June, we saw quite a few crew we had seen in February.

This is one of the things that X does well, they allow differences even on sister ships. I sailed Equinox twice, Reflection once, and Eclipse once. I like them all, but found better service on Equinox. Silhouette is closest to the Reflection. Some things are better on each. I haven't experienced the Gastropub yet. These are just personal observations; I for one really liked the Sunset bar on Reflection better. I prefer Qsine better than Silk Harvest. I liked the Glass show. And I really hated the "ding dong room". You had to have sailed Reflection to understand that last comment.

Funny! I sailed with you on the Reflection (Apr 2013) and that weird pineapple, deer antler ding dong room freaked me out, but by the end of the cruise, it was my favorite (art) thing on the ship! Can't wait to see the ding dong room in January!!

If you are thinking AQ and BLU, BLU may be more crowded on Reflection til AQ suites are reclassified as non AQ...

we have future cruises booked on both..Reflection is before the AQ suite changes..

looking forward to both ships,,, Ref is a week to W carib, first time on that ship for us; and Equniox is longer Eastern Carib...have been on her before and can't wait to cruise on her again...esp with Silk Harvest and recent updates

whatever you pick....have a great cruise!

What is the ding dong room?

It's like an entryway to the specialty restaurants and bars that's actually an art installation. It's very strange, but it grows on you, at least it did for me! I guess I got used to it with all those trips to the molecular bar!