HAL's new online booking system?

jaguarstyper

I emailed HAL that I was not happy with the new system. They seem to have done away with the categories. Previously I was looking at a certain category for a cruise next year, and when I tried to do it just now, the rooms aren't even offered.

Karen

The most significant impact of the new site for me is that I cannot now quickly monitor the price of an existing booking. Could it be that this was done on purpose to minimize the number of requests for a downward price adjustment on an existing booking?

This was obviously designed by someone who never spoke to anyone who used the old system to find out what could be improved. And they didn't use a focus group of people who use the old system to try out the new one. WAIT - maybe we are the focus group.

I just spent some time playing with the new system. I never put in my Mariner # even on the old system and I have never booked a cruise online. I always get someone from HAL or a TA to do it. BUT.....what I do is find the room and the price I want to pay before I ever call to book a cruise. I know it will be somewhat higher when they add the port fees, etc.

With this new system you can see all the rooms that are available in each category and section without putting in room #'s. The old system showed only 6 staterooms at a time and would take a room out of inventory for 30 minutes if someone did a dummy booking. This way you can see what is available in each section without doing a dummy booking. It might also give you an idea how well a cruise is selling.

The most significant impact of the new site for me is that I cannot now quickly monitor the price of an existing booking. Could it be that this was done on purpose to minimize the number of requests for a downward price adjustment on an existing booking?

I already thought about this.

They don't want us to watch prices.

I just spent some time playing with the new system. I never put in my Mariner # even on the old system and I have never booked a cruise online. I always get someone from HAL or a TA to do it. BUT.....what I do is find the room and the price I want to pay before I ever call to book a cruise. I know it will be somewhat higher when they add the port fees, etc.

With this new system you can see all the rooms that are available in each category and section without putting in room #'s. The old system showed only 6 staterooms at a time and would take a room out of inventory for 30 minutes if someone did a dummy booking. This way you can see what is available in each section without doing a dummy booking. It might also give you an idea how well a cruise is selling.

I did not log into HAL's site.

I did not put in either of our Mariner numbers.

Could not advance - got a message that I am required to fill in name, etc.

So how were you not required to fill in all that information?

We also book through a TA once we see a cruise we like.

Okay -- I finally was able to do a "dummy" booking.

As for the "Invalid" phone number -- just type in the entire telephone number -- no spaces or anything between area code, etc.

The entire price - including taxes and port fees does show up on the right side.

But this long process is ridiculous to have to do every time you want to check out a cruise you are interested in.

The old booking system displayed properly on my iPad in both my Safari and Chrome browsers. With the new system, it's fine in Safari but doesn't display some pages properly in Chrome and you are left hanging wondering what to do next. Looks like we are the Beta testers!

Thank Goodness someone posted this thread as I have just given up making a booking because I was so frustrated. I will try and book same on an internet site that is more friendly. HAL site kept telling me my mariner number was invalid, and so was my DH's. At least now I know it is not me and maybe the site. Do you think that they practice with these things before they change the whole system?

hate the new format............... need to take a break from it and wait to see if HAL will further update or amend it. I was able to find prices based on guarantee booking but I wanted a few specific cabins and was having a hard time checking prices, takes a long time...............

Both of the itineraries that I wanted to send to my friend who is not online was finally able to be printed just minutes ago!

Why make our efforts to gain information so difficult?

rkacruiser, after you get to the page that gives you the itineraries, can you go any further, where it say's 'continue'? All I get is a screen saying 'Book your Cruise' but it is not reactive. I can't do anything with it. Now on my DH computer I see the new procedure but his computer is newer and running a new program. I'm still using windows 98. I wonder if that is what the problem is.

I don't find it bad but I'm always having to learn new things so it no biggie for me. If they are displaying all available rooms on a cruise that is interesting. Doesn't look like a ton of availability on my cruise. I sure hope there aren't too many guarantees.

rkacruiser, after you get to the page that gives you the itineraries, can you go any further, where it say's 'continue'? All I get is a screen saying 'Book your Cruise' but it is not reactive. I can't do anything with it. Now on my DH computer I see the new procedure but his computer is newer and running a new program. I'm still using windows 98. I wonder if that is what the problem is.

Melodie,

That is exactly where I have gotten hung up. Could not go any further than that stupid un-reactive screen. I am still an XP person, soon to change. So, it may be that this is the issue.

Yet, as I stated earlier, finally, finally, I was able to get their website to talk to my printer and get the itineraries printed that I want to send to my friends. In order to do so, I had everything else not online that had been open. Maybe that was the hang-up. Who knows? Certainly not me!

Melodie,

That is exactly where I have gotten hung up. Could not go any further than that stupid un-reactive screen. I am still an XP person, soon to change. So, it may be that this is the issue.

Yet, as I stated earlier, finally, finally, I was able to get their website to talk to my printer and get the itineraries printed that I want to send to my friends. In order to do so, I had everything else not online that had been open. Maybe that was the hang-up. Who knows? Certainly not me!

Are you upgrading to 7 or buying a new computer?

I did not log into HAL's site.

I did not put in either of our Mariner numbers.

Could not advance - got a message that I am required to fill in name, etc.

So how were you not required to fill in all that information?

We also book through a TA once we see a cruise we like.

I don't give them any information about me. No log in, Check not a mariner, no phone, I just say 2 guests. I go into the system on HAL site at choose a cruise. I bring up all the cruises for the area, choose a month, select the cruise, and go on to the next screen to get the itinerary and then go to the next screen.

I must admit it was pretty cumbersome but I stuck with it. I was stumped at the choose a room since that didn't work so I just chose veranda and chose save and it brought up the three sections of the ship and when I clicked on the aft section it showed me available rooms, then I checked mid ship, etc.

OMG - Married 46 years and this might lead to divorce! :eek::eek: Vern thinks this new system is pretty great ... I think it sucks big time.

BTW - Vern has never booked a cruise in his life!

The change must have happened overnight. I was on late last evening checking prices for our upcoming two cruises. I may never be able to price check again. :(

Are you upgrading to 7 or buying a new computer?

A new computer. Windows 7 is reportedly going to be no longer supported in 2017 and I see no sense in going through this nonsense again during my lifetime!

I have played with 8.1 in the stores and it is something that I think I can figure out. There is even a book: Dummies for Windows 8.1. (Notice to nephews: a possible Christmas gift!)

It just simply has to be able to allow me to connect with Cruise Critic and the Port Everlglades websites as well as the other websites that allow me to virtually sail with those other fortunate cruisers!

Hate it. I think my cruise went down slightly ($30pp), but not really sure. I find it very hard to use and hate having to fill out complete details before getting an actual price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I quite like it.

The most important considerations for us when booking are category and location. The ability to look at a full region of a deck to see what's available makes it much easier to get a sense of options.

With the old engine you only had a limited number of potential cabins to choose from. With this engine, you can browse through all the options in a particular type. Very flexible for backtracking and changing categories.

A new computer. Windows 7 is reportedly going to be no longer supported in 2017 and I see no sense in going through this nonsense again during my lifetime!

I have played with 8.1 in the stores and it is something that I think I can figure out. There is even a book: Dummies for Windows 8.1. (Notice to nephews: a possible Christmas gift!)

It just simply has to be able to allow me to connect with Cruise Critic and the Port Everlglades websites as well as the other websites that allow me to virtually sail with those other fortunate cruisers!

Ain't that the truth.....:D:D:eek::D:D